• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 7 vs. Forza Motorsport (2023)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man, it's gonna be over $1000 bucks for me to get that experience. I think I'll invest over time maybe. Get the Pro next year....get GT7....play the hell out of it, then eventually get PSVR2. Hey does PSVR2 get a lot of the games coming to like the Quest or Beyond?
Yes. Pretty much every VR game being made for the PC/Quest (that is not exclusive to Quest) is getting PSVR2 ports as well.

This thread is constantly on the first page because of all the new announcements and game drops.

GT7 in VR is a gamechanger since it was done right and does NOT feel "tacked on" like other racing games that have VR modes. It's so hard to go back to flatscreen 2D after playing it in VR.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I completely disagree mate! Forza Horizon 5 is absolutely beautiful, it's not pushing the same RT tech like FM23 is but the artists at PG are clearly a notch above of T10's. PG would NEVER allow the game to look like how FM looks in the car upgrade screen, they look abysmal at times, the wheel lighting is absolutely baffling.

I think the highs of FM are higher than FH5, but they are so few and far between in general play, FM can look absolutely gorgeous at rain and night conditions, even very FH5 esque in clear mid day, but overall? FH5 is way more cohesive.

I hardly play FH5 anymore because I got bored of it and still play FM quite a bit despite its issues, just because it's more my type of game. But everytime I watch some gameplay of FH5 I'm reminded of its beauty

I race the T50 loads on free race because it's an incredible car, but the car just doesn't look as good as it does in FH5, the screenspace AO does a fantastic job without the big performance hit of RTAO and the warm lighting just has a lush, depth to it.

FH5 is not only the best looking racing game out there, its also one of the best looking game out of any genre. The detail in the world and lighting is just fanstastic. And the textures are soo sharp and clean. What they did so early in the gen with a cross gen game is amazing, now imagine the next game which is current gen only. They gonna flex the new engine better than T10 ever could hope for.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I completely disagree mate! Forza Horizon 5 is absolutely beautiful, it's not pushing the same RT tech like FM23 is but the artists at PG are clearly a notch above of T10's. PG would NEVER allow the game to look like how FM looks in the car upgrade screen, they look abysmal at times, the wheel lighting is absolutely baffling.

I think the highs of FM are higher than FH5, but they are so few and far between in general play, FM can look absolutely gorgeous at rain and night conditions, even very FH5 esque in clear mid day, but overall? FH5 is way more cohesive.

I hardly play FH5 anymore because I got bored of it and still play FM quite a bit despite its issues, just because it's more my type of game. But everytime I watch some gameplay of FH5 I'm reminded of its beauty

I race the T50 loads on free race because it's an incredible car, but the car just doesn't look as good as it does in FH5, the screenspace AO does a fantastic job without the big performance hit of RTAO and the warm lighting just has a lush, depth to it.

yeah, that video looks way too cartoony to me. Ive just never liked their art style. Its why i still prefer DC over Forza. There is just something about the lighting that screams last gen to me. FM8 feels like a DriveClub successor to me in terms of lighting, sense of speed and weather effects. Its got that cg feel to it that we discuss in the next gen graphics fidelity thread which is hard to explain, but i dont get that from FH5.

Then there is the bounce lighting and GI in general. FH5 feels like the sunlight gets absorbed by the tracks and trees instead of bouncing it back. There is a complete lack of volumetric lighting which Forza uses to great effects during dawn times especially. I love that fucking hue. Its something so rarely seen in games last gen games. The rain effects, especially the water splashing on tracks is also a generation apart. FH5 has decent rain for a last gen game. FM8 is the only game to come even remotely close to DC's weather tech. i will have to go back and replay FH5 to compare the cars, but I will take your word for it. One thing I did notice was that FM8 looks way better when there are cars all around you. it looks its best at the start of the tracks with all 24 cars in front of you. I purposefully started every race at the very end just so i can enjoy the graphics lol.

The evening racing around 7 minutes in looks very close to photorealistic in that video. i will give you that.

nowhat

Hey does PSVR2 get a lot of the games coming to like the Quest or Beyond?
Some, but if we're being completely honest, not as much as it should. Quest belongs to Meta/FB, and they're quite keen on keeping all their games within their own "metaverse" (yuch). Hell, it took ages for Beat Saber to make it to the platform (although it is there now).

Having said that, there are some terrific third-party games outside Sony's own offerings, like RE Village and RE4 Remake, both in VR. And naturally some strong hitters available pretty much everywhere, like Rez Infinite (the eye tracking target mode is so great, also the haptics on the headset) and Thumper.

...and also, it's less than a year since PSVR 2 was released, so I think it's a bit early to judge how far software support will go. We'll see. But GT7 certainly is a showcase for the headset.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned

Both games look really good, there is no doubt about that. But the attention to detail in GT7 is just over the top or more accurate than most games. That is why I find it hilarious when people go on about raytraced reflection on the track or more trees when it shouldn't look like that. It looks spectacular and amazing no doubt, but it is not very accurate. A game that I can honestly say beats GT7 in overall attention to detail is Driveclub, I know it is a last gen arcade game but what they were able to achieve on PS4 was just astonishing and no games are doing everything they were able to cram into DC.

Driveclub had self-reflection and reflection within reflections of course all done in screen space with limitations, because raytracing wasn't really a feasible thing back then.
andrew-bolt-ssr.jpg

b70xlpdhujfa1.png
dgwygxshujfa1.png

Senua

Gold Member
yeah, that video looks way too cartoony to me. Ive just never liked their art style. Its why i still prefer DC over Forza. There is just something about the lighting that screams last gen to me. FM8 feels like a DriveClub successor to me in terms of lighting, sense of speed and weather effects. Its got that cg feel to it that we discuss in the next gen graphics fidelity thread which is hard to explain, but i dont get that from FH5.

Then there is the bounce lighting and GI in general. FH5 feels like the sunlight gets absorbed by the tracks and trees instead of bouncing it back. There is a complete lack of volumetric lighting which Forza uses to great effects during dawn times especially. I love that fucking hue. Its something so rarely seen in games last gen games. The rain effects, especially the water splashing on tracks is also a generation apart. FH5 has decent rain for a last gen game. FM8 is the only game to come even remotely close to DC's weather tech. i will have to go back and replay FH5 to compare the cars, but I will take your word for it. One thing I did notice was that FM8 looks way better when there are cars all around you. it looks its best at the start of the tracks with all 24 cars in front of you. I purposefully started every race at the very end just so i can enjoy the graphics lol.

The evening racing around 7 minutes in looks very close to photorealistic in that video. i will give you that.
I agree at times there is that CG look, especially when the IQ looks pristine with DLAA and the lighting is right, but again it's just so inconsistent it's hard for that impression to have any lasting value. I genuinely think with a years worth of updates (cmon RTGI) this game can look incredible, it just needed WAY more time in the oven. The textures are a fucking joke for example, and yes I have the HD texture pack installed, they look way worse than Forza Motorsport 7 ffs. Car paints have gotten better with updates but still are lacking in comparison to GT7 and FH5. The rain effects are decent but still nowhere near as nice as Driveclubs, I cannot believe were 9 years later and a whole new generations and we still cannot match Driveclub or an Assetto Corsa mod some dude made in his spare time.

FrankWza

GT7 in VR is a gamechanger since it was done right and does NOT feel "tacked on" like other racing games that have VR modes. It's so hard to go back to flatscreen 2D after playing it in VR.
I look at my VR2 purchase differently than others because I don't want or need to always play with the headset on my head to justify it's price. I look at it as an accessory and complimentary piece but I respect others wanting to spend their money how they see fit. That said, the amount of time in GT7 VR, if you are into GT7, will more than pay for your headset. It was a necessary update and they delivered big time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I look at my VR2 purchase differently than others because I don't want or need to always play with the headset on my head to justify it's price. I look at it as an accessory and complimentary piece but I respect others wanting to spend their money how they see fit. That said, the amount of time in GT7 VR, if you are into GT7, will more than pay for your headset. It was a necessary update and they delivered big time.
Exactly how I feel about it as well.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I know this thread focuses on graphics but damn I miss amazing music from past Forza titles:

This new entry is lacking any kind of emotion.

Just finished watching the video. As expected, they stated the obvious that both games look phenomenal. I agree with overall assessment that GT is better. Attention to detail and the artistic style of lighting (more pop and contrast) is better IMO as they stated. I think Forza strongpoint is the variety in weather/track condition variations. They eluded to it a bit, but I love how a track weekend can evolve in the game. And how it can vary so much every time you play it.

Klosshufvud

Digital Foundry comes to the same conclusion I did. GT7 looks better. Mostly due to its excellent artistic touches that you can't get by just slavishly attempting to ape reality. There is a level of taste and care to GT7 that excels the expected. The game is made by car enthusiasts. They notice details that people like me and you don't but the smaller details do matter for us too. I'm glad PD is getting the recognition they deserve. I saw this phenomenal level of care in GT Sport aswell but that game was criticized for what it was. Hardware can only carry you for so long. This duel is an excellent showcase on how much more important other factors are in this day and age.

Skifi28

Gold Member
Just finished watching the video. As expected, they stated the obvious that both games look phenomenal. I agree with overall assessment that GT is better. Attention to detail and the artistic style of lighting (more pop and contrast) is better IMO as they stated. I think Forza strongpoint is the variety in weather/track condition variations. They eluded to it a bit, but I love how a track weekend can evolve in the game. And how it can vary so much every time you play it.
I've only played 15 hours, but so far I can't say I've seen anything remarkable. Rain doesn't seem to have that much variation so far, it's either a little rain that doesn't affect physics or heavy rain where you just get extra understeer. Does it get better? Grip appears universal on the entire track which sucks. Weather on GT is done superb. It's not available on all tracks, but stuff like the weather radar and how random rain comes and goes, how it slowly accumulates, the effect it has on physics with aquaplaning on puddles or how the track doesn't have universal grip is just insane.

My favourite recent moment in a racing game is having an endurance race and being on slick tyres as the track is slowly drying. I had to follow 100% the racing line otherwise I was dead. I could only wish Forza did stuff like this.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Digital Foundry comes to the same conclusion I did. GT7 looks better. Mostly due to its excellent artistic touches that you can't get by just slavishly attempting to ape reality. There is a level of taste and care to GT7 that excels the expected. The game is made by car enthusiasts. They notice details that people like me and you don't but the smaller details do matter for us too. I'm glad PD is getting the recognition they deserve. I saw this phenomenal level of care in GT Sport aswell but that game was criticized for what it was. Hardware can only carry you for so long. This duel is an excellent showcase on how much more important other factors are in this day and age.
Bingo! As a car enthusiast myself, the game just dripped with all that love lettering.

I've only played 15 hours, but so far I can't say I've seen anything remarkable. Rain doesn't seem to have that much variation so far, it's either a little rain that doesn't affect physics or heavy rain where you just get extra understeer. Does it get better? Grip appears universal on the entire track which sucks. Weather on GT is done superb. It's not available on all tracks, but stuff like the weather radar and how random rain comes and goes, how it slowly accumulates, the effect it has on physics with aquaplaning on puddles or how the track doesn't have universal grip is just insane.

My favourite recent moment in a racing game is having an endurance race and being on slick tyres as the track is slowly drying. I had to follow 100% the racing line otherwise I was dead. I could only wish Forza did stuff like this.
My experiences have been way different. A ton of track evolution and a very noticeable rubbered in line that has much more grip than going offline in the marbles. While I haven’t raced too much in the rain, I had a few races with gradual rain wetting the track and the track drying out. Massive changes in both anituations and a ton of fun to try and adjust to push the limit. Overall the track evolution and legit true compounds and wear are the best additions to the game IMO.

blue velvet

My experiences have been way different. A ton of track evolution and a very noticeable rubbered in line that has much more grip than going offline in the marbles. While I haven’t raced too much in the rain, I had a few races with gradual rain wetting the track and the track drying out. Massive changes in both anituations and a ton of fun to try and adjust to push the limit. Overall the track evolution and legit true compounds and wear are the best additions to the game IMO.

I'm not quite sure what did they mean by that because the track and weather condition in GT7 is pretty advanced compared to other games. Does Forza have dynamic drying line and realistic puddle formation? In nurburgring for example, there will be part of the track that is raining and some parts are sunny due to how huge that track is, PD did simulate all of that. Yes, it's limited, some tracks don't have it, probably because they don't have the data yet. Also, the rain in GT7 change in intensity based on the actual weather being dynamically generated in game. Clouds in GT is also dynamically generated, while in Forza it's a gif that loops over and over. Also, rubber build up has been there since GTSport. I don't think John went into details when it comes to technicality, I can't fault him, making comparison video takes a long time.

The rain weather visuals are pretty great in Forza, I'd say the rain drops is far more intense in the game, but the implementation of weather and dynamism is pretty basic, it reminds me of GT5/GT6.

gifs are originally posted by benzy

Last edited:

Forth

Neophyte
When your a car enthusiast it's all about the little things and that's what GT encapsulates.
For example, I went into photomode while racing the Ferrari F40 and when I looked into the cockpit, the gearstick was in the correct 2nd gear placement, that blew my mind that they actually animated that. Forza doesn't do these little things and it might seem silly but personally I think it all matters.

tommib

I'm not quite sure what did they mean by that because the track and weather condition in GT7 is pretty advanced compared to other games. Does Forza have dynamic drying line and realistic puddle formation? In nurburgring for example, there will be part of the track that is raining and some parts are sunny due to how huge that track is, PD did simulate all of that. Yes, it's limited, some tracks don't have it, probably because they don't have the data yet. Also, the rain in GT7 change in intensity based on the actual weather being dynamically generated in game. Clouds in GT is also dynamically generated, while in Forza it's a gif that loops over and over. Also, rubber build up has been there since GTSport. I don't think John went into details when it comes to technicality, I can't fault him, making comparison video takes a long time.

The rain weather visuals are pretty great in Forza, I'd say the rain drops is far more intense in the game, but the implementation of weather and dynamism is pretty basic, it reminds me of GT5/GT6.

gifs are originally posted by benzy

Incredible gifs.

I'm not quite sure what did they mean by that because the track and weather condition in GT7 is pretty advanced compared to other games. Does Forza have dynamic drying line and realistic puddle formation?
I’ve only played a handful of wet races in Forza so far. I haven’t noticed puddles on track, not sure if that’s in. For dynamic lines, that definitely factors in. I had a wet race in career yesterday where the track was damp in the beginning and got much wetter as the race progressed due to steady rain. The racing line was much dryer, and had much more grip, as compared to off the racing line. I’ve also experienced similar behavior when drying. The line the cars take gets dryer more quickly.

TBiddy

I don't remember any Sony fan claiming 10tf>12tf? Do you? So your correct.

Were you not around back then? The amount of warriors on both sides were comical. First it was the "12 TF > 10 TF" crew. Then came the "SSD IS KING!". After that it was "Narrow > Wider!".

There was so much ridiculous shit thrown around by both sides, so if you claim to honestly do not remember this, I'm sure you weren't signed up back then.

Can you jog my memory? Did Playstation 5 have a comparable thread:

The above thread kicked off a generation of positivity.

I don't know. I seem to remember a Cerny appreciation thread (or fanboy thread, if you prefer) hailing the PS5 design as superior to the XSX. Which in hindsight seems to have hit the mark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom