• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 7 vs. Forza Motorsport (2023)

Tripolygon

Banned
200.gif
Why stop there.

SgDdea3.jpg

M61UZyv.jpg

wXDZmQu.jpg

They just put a ton of trees without taking into consideration what type of tree and the shape of tree to accurately depict how the track looks. John points that out. Which is why the entire of DF says GT is the better of both.

Darsxx82

The word that describes this FM is "inconsistency." An impressive technological core (much of it borrowed from PG's advances in FH) and lack of dedication to putting together a visual product with as few fissures as possible. The game can look amazing when everything fits together and maddeningly inconsistent otherwise.

That's why I keep saying that PlayGround is today the first development team for the Forza serie. They are extremely more consistent, imaginative, technologically innovative. Not only that, they are much better at offering a rounded product. It is true that FM is a product that will expand and improve over the years.... but they have had 6 years and the product is not something round by any means. Yes, advances have been made in technological aspects, physics and gameplay... but far from what would have been expected having 3x the time of previous FMs. They have not even launched it with a large fictional circuit where they will show all the visual and technological benefits released.

The fact that they will offer fewer options, modes, and even a ridiculous ForzaVista compared to previous ones says it all. As I say, it is in their power to be ambitious and improve that product with a fantastic core or base. I just hope they don't stop at adding cars and circuits but rather boost the visual section as well. Without that demand and pride in standing out, I have no doubt that PlayGround (using the same engine and technology) will put them to shame when the next FH 6 is launched.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why stop there.

SgDdea3.jpg

M61UZyv.jpg

wXDZmQu.jpg

They just put a ton of trees without taking into consideration what type of tree and the shape of tree to accurately depict how the track looks. John points that out. Which is why the entire of DF says GT is the better of both.

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

My quoted post is about the trees you can see on the track, not the one's behind the scenery that you won't see unless zooming in a thousand percent in photo mode.

I don't know about you guys, but Forza's realistic lighting does much better in some comparisons.

GT here looks very "gamey" by comparison. The much better trees on Forza also help.

5qnGwgY.png
bT3UauS.png
HzWtUPC.png

JackMcGunns

like A.I.?

Correct, although the cars will carefully drive around you in GT7 if you stop in the middle of the road, the driveatars in FM8 will act more like real drivers, more aggressive and even shoving you off the road. Again, just like photo mode where you sit around and look at pretty things, no one is sitting around perpendicularly while racing just to see how th A.I behaves, so going back to what I said "where it counts" while you're racing, John said that Driveatars behave more realistically.

Correct, although the cars will carefully drive around you in GT7 if you stop in the middle of the road, the driveatars in FM8 will act more like real drivers, more aggressive and even shoving you off the road. Again, just like photo mode where you sit around and look at pretty things, no one is sitting around perpendicularly while racing just to see how th A.I behaves, so going back to what I said "where it counts" while you're racing, John said that Driveatars behave more realistically.
what about sophie?

Skifi28

Gold Member
The drivatars in Forza are awful, they can't navigate traffic and will just randomly stop in the middle of the track becoming moving obstacles. The regular AI in GT7 is also very slow, but the new AI they've introduced since the latest update is insanely good. Only issue is it's available in quick races and not the campaign for now, but if I want to have a real race I know which game I'm playing.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

If racing drivers in real life behaved like the AI in Forza they would get lifetime bans from motor racing.

JackMcGunns

The drivatars in Forza are awful, they can't navigate traffic and will just randomly stop in the middle of the track becoming moving obstacles. The regular AI in GT7 is also very slow, but the new AI they've introduced since the latest update is insanely good. Only issue is it's available in quick races and not the campaign for now, but if I want to have a real race I know which game I'm playing.

Cool, I did find impressive the way the cars slowed down and carefully went around when John was capturing the footage, looked like a shit show when he did it on the Forza side lmao. I just thought the more agressive driving more closely depicts how retards online behave while you're racing against them, but sounds like overall the driveatars need work.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think they were hoping raytracing would be the next best thing, but to implement that they had to downgrade the car models. In the end, that raytracing bullshit failed them, so they were left with a mediocre looking game.
I will say I think they put too much weight into ray tracing during races. Like it was a bullet point vs what it could offer the game.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Posted in the next gen racing thread but will post it also here. my thoughts on this video.

Just as i expected, John compared them for more than 70% in photomode and replays where 1 game gets seriously enhanced and the other don't. And i think that he finally saw my posts lol since he admited that the car models gets enhanced in GT7 during photomode and that Forza has higher quality car models during gameplay. Also he should know that when you zoom in in photomode Forza's tracks side details lods don't get enhanced like in GT7 when he did that tree comparison. For me that 30% of gameplay comparison was better than the one's with photomode since thats how they would look when you are playing. Also shame that he didn't capture them in HDR which makes both games look much much better.

However i do agree with him on 95% of what he said. On console i also think that GT7 looks a bit cleaner and better thanks to the more natural and sharper look. FM on console has too many sacrifices like low res iq, low quality textures, low quality reflections, low quality shadows, lower quality ai cars, lower quality clouds, almost no grass in RT performance mode and performance mode. But some of his footage has broken RTAO and RT reflections which happend in the old build in freeplay. They have fixed those issues in newer versions on pc but im not sure if its the same on console. So im not sure if he used the latest version when he compared them. And the material work and details on the cars in GT7 is just unmatched. Wish they would use the higher quality models during gameplay in time trial or free play whenever you are playing with only 1 car on track (similar to what FM did with FM4 til FM6 on Xbox One).

Overall its a very good comparison and he used actuall RL photo's to compare the real world tracks which showed that GT7 is more accurate to RL like we all knew. Even with some of the things i don't agree with him or things that he is wrong, its a very good video and i appreciate it since i know how much time it can take to make those comparison as close as possible. And props to him for calling out a winner. Tbh i expected him to spin the story to call it a draw.

This vidoe also just showed me how much better FM looks on pc now with all the updates it got, the textures, shadows, reflections, effects and track details (outside missing grass compared to visual mode) are much beter in the pc version after update 2.0. With Update 3.0 things got even better since they fixed most of the missing/broken car detail issues and RT problems that didn't work properly. The difference gonna be bigger when they add RTGI on pc.

you-have-done-good-work-nice-work.gif

GHG

Gold Member
John did say other drivers as in playing the game online, not real life drivers on a real track.

Yeh, well the racing etiquette of Forza players is notoriously awful. It becomes self-reinforcing when clean racing isn't even promoted during offline races vs the AI.

Posted in the next gen racing thread but will post it also here. my thoughts on this video.

Just as i expected, John compared them for more than 70% in photomode and replays where 1 game gets seriously enhanced and the other don't. And i think that he finally saw my posts lol since he admited that the car models gets enhanced in GT7 during photomode and that Forza has higher quality car models during gameplay. Also he should know that when you zoom in in photomode Forza's tracks side details lods don't get enhanced like in GT7 when he did that tree comparison. For me that 30% of gameplay comparison was better than the one's with photomode since thats how they would look when you are playing. Also shame that he didn't capture them in HDR which makes both games look much much better.

However i do agree with him on 95% of what he said. On console i also think that GT7 looks a bit cleaner and better thanks to the more natural and sharper look. FM on console has too many sacrifices like low res iq, low quality textures, low quality reflections, low quality shadows, lower quality ai cars, lower quality clouds, almost no grass in RT performance mode and performance mode. But some of his footage has broken RTAO and RT reflections which happend in the old build in freeplay. They have fixed those issues in newer versions on pc but im not sure if its the same on console. So im not sure if he used the latest version when he compared them. And the material work and details on the cars in GT7 is just unmatched. Wish they would use the higher quality models during gameplay in time trial or free play whenever you are playing with only 1 car on track (similar to what FM did with FM4 til FM6 on Xbox One).

Overall its a very good comparison and he used actuall RL photo's to compare the real world tracks which showed that GT7 is more accurate to RL like we all knew. Even with some of the things i don't agree with him or things that he is wrong, its a very good video and i appreciate it since i know how much time it can take to make those comparison as close as possible. And props to him for calling out a winner. Tbh i expected him to spin the story to call it a draw.

This vidoe also just showed me how much better FM looks on pc now with all the updates it got, the textures, shadows, reflections, effects and track details (outside missing grass compared to visual mode) are much beter in the pc version after update 2.0. With Update 3.0 things got even better since they fixed most of the missing/broken car detail issues and RT problems that didn't work properly. The difference gonna be bigger when they add RTGI on pc.

you-have-done-good-work-nice-work.gif

Yeh all that and yet on PC it manages to look worse than AC (modded), ACC, rfactor 2 and project cars/automobilista 2 (same engine).

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Funny how this Chris Esaki guy disappeared after the launch. Missing from both Forza Monthly episodes.

He should open his own fucking gallery because he's a real bullshit artist.

For the record, I like the game. I have 35 hours already, that's more than I put in GT7 since lunch launch (and I won't put more anytime soon as last week I've sold my PS5) but what was promised is not exactly the same that what was delivered.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Doesn't GT get RT only in photo mode though? Whereas I believe Forza has it during races (maybe only reflections or something).

I'm seeing tons of comparisons in Photo Mode but almost nothing in-game, which in John's defense, are way harder to capture for a racing game.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Yes, that's why I would say if you play on a beefy PC, during actual gameplay FM looks better. And this is the only scenario as every other mode looks better in GT7. Replays, photo mode, garage, you name it.

But then it's not really a fair comparison. I can play FM in 8K at 60FPS max settings on my PC. Clearly there's a headroom to include things like RTGI you mentioned and much, much more.

Turk1993

Yeh all that and yet on PC it manages to look worse than AC (modded), ACC, rfactor 2 and project cars/automobilista 2 (same engine).
Go check my comparison in the next gen racing thread and tell me if you think that ACC looks better overall. ACC was imo the best looking racing sim ever, but there are lots of things that FM does better now on pc. And PC and AM (they use the same engine) are not better looking than FM. And modded AC is the most inconsistent looking game of all time. With the right mod combo you can get some of the best looking game out there but most of the mods and stuff are not that high quality. And the environments are lacking compared to FM and ACC.

Turk1993

He should open his own fucking gallery because he's a real bullshit artist.

For the record, I like the game. I have 35 hours already, that's more than I put in GT7 since lunch (and I won't put more anytime soon as last week I've sold my PS5) but what was promised is not exactly the same that what was delivered.
He fits the description
2577030-9659174995-Esaki.jpg

JackMcGunns

The AI drivers should drive like race drivers, not like how other players because most players drive badly. Now GT Sophie on the other hand is on a different league compared to most pro sim drivers.

Agreed. By the way, I had to search Sophie AI, didn't know about it, freakin cool.

Disco Dave

So this is a genre john fancies? Is he comfortable covering that one?
Noted - Racing games = ok

Always remember this coward
xFjBlOI.png

Also - lol gt7 obviously looks better
I wonder what the Ferrari F40's chosen pronoun is. I haven't watched the video but I assume John is not bold enough to assume a cars gender.

Tripolygon

Banned
Doesn't GT get RT only in photo mode though? Whereas I believe Forza has it during races (maybe only reflections or something).

I'm seeing tons of comparisons in Photo Mode but almost nothing in-game, which in John's defense, are way harder to capture for a racing game.
The reflection in FM is majority cubemap, screenspace and planar just like GT during gameplay. RT reflection in FM is limited to certain shiny surface on the car and the range and quality is very limited. It renders at quarter of the native resolution.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Go check my comparison in the next gen racing thread and tell me if you think that ACC looks better overall. ACC was imo the best looking racing sim ever, but there are lots of things that FM does better now on pc. And PC and AM (they use the same engine) are not better looking than FM. And modded AC is the most inconsistent looking game of all time. With the right mod combo you can get some of the best looking game out there but most of the mods and stuff are not that high quality. And the environments are lacking compared to FM and ACC.

During gameplay in the view it's meant to be played in (none of this stop the car on the track in chase cam view crap) ACC is miles ahead and has done for years.

Added bonus, you can also play it in VR.

There's a reason why FM has the rating it does on Steam and that nobody in the PC or racing community is using it as a graphical benchmark (or as a benchmark for anything really). Even iracing looks great these days and it's doing so with orders of magnitude more stuff going on and much bigger grid sizes.

This is why overall if GT7 came to PC I don't think it would do as well as people think it would. The competition is stiff.

This whole discussion about Forza Motorsport on PC is a strange one anyway, considering FH5 and FM7 look better on the same platform in many scenarios. They've gone backwards.

Last edited:

skyfinch

I hoping by Spring, with the addition to Nurburgring that they updated the graphics. I don't care about nuts and bolts, but update the important things like lighting and materials.

sendit

During gameplay in the view it's meant to be played in (none of this stop the car on the track in chase cam view crap) ACC is miles ahead and has done for years.

Added bonus, you can also play it in VR.

There's a reason why FM has the rating it does on Steam and that nobody in the PC or racing community is using it as a graphical benchmark (or as a benchmark for anything really). Even iracing looks great these days and it's doing so with orders of magnitude more stuff going on and much bigger grid sizes.

This is why overall if GT7 came to PC I don't think it would do as well as people think it would. The competition is stiff.

This whole discussion about Forza Motorsport on PC is a strange one anyway, considering FH5 and FM7 look better on the same platform in many scenarios.

I disagree. GT7 coming to the PC would dominate the sim racing space. It's a lot more accessible and has more variety in comparison to other PC racers. It simulates just enough, maybe not to the extreme as other PC sims.

GHG

Gold Member
I disagree. GT7 coming to the PC would dominate the sim racing space. It's a lot more accessible and has more variety in comparison to other PC racers. It simulates just enough, maybe not to the extreme as other PC sims.

It really wouldn't. How it plays with a controller isn't as much of a concern for people who play racing games on PC as it is on console. SMS found that out the hard way with project cars 3.

Last edited:

You're on another planet man. GT7 looks better than Forza 8 on PC, which still has tons of issues. There's yet another thread about it today on reddit.

FM8 PC is a completely f**ked game in the looks department. It has all the energy of contractors turning deliverables in at 3 PM on Friday, and their T10 supervisor shrugging and saying, "good enough." And I say this as a huge Forza fan from 2 on, but unless someone at T10 starts to give a shit there's no way it's going to catch up to GT.

eNT1TY

If Playground Games weren't so busy they should take a crack at mainline Forza, those dudes are wizards. Every mainly Forza since the 3rd has seen downgraded upon release following their initial reveal and ALL Forza Horizon games since the 2nd have actually improved upon reveal and release.

GHG

Gold Member
If Playground Games weren't so busy they should take a crack at mainline Forza, those dudes are wizards. Every mainly Forza since the 3rd has seen downgraded upon release following their initial reveal and ALL Forza Horizon games since the 2nd have actually improved upon reveal and release.

Turn 10 have been declining for a decade now. They've been in dire need of new leadership for some time but they held on to Greenawalt for far too long and the rot set in. It's got to the point where there's no simple way to get the motorsport franchise back on the right track.

Top Bottom