• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 7 vs. Forza Motorsport (2023)

NEbeast

GU2CZps.jpg

200.gif

Cant See Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Never brag power again unless you have the expertise to utilise and support those claims.

The problem I see is that they took the Xbox One v PS4 resolution issue and the constant chatter about it to heart. They listened to outspoken people on social media parading as big Xbox fans (you probably know a couple I’m hinting at) that haven’t got a friggin clue either ,Xbox took it too literally and just put out better numbers in future hardware without the finesse to showcase it with the content.

“Monsters for breakfast” “power your dreams” it’s clear it’s all marketing shite. In some ways I feel Series X is a bigger letdown then Xbox One because I thought they would of sorted some problems and come out stronger this generation aiming to grow market share and not just overly rely on a decently priced subscription service.

Forza is by no means a ugly game, having seen the two close up you can tell which one has finesse about it and it’s not Turn 10s offering.

Halo Infinite isn’t what it should be and this Forza isn’t either. They should be top of the class in their genres across the board , revered titles showcasing the capabilities of Series X.

Shouldn’t that be a good thing in pointing these things out so the platform and the content gets better ? Blowing smoke up Xbox executives arses on social media and in interviews clearly isn’t working...and I’m not talking about cigar smoke either....

So this is a genre john fancies? Is he comfortable covering that one?
Noted - Racing games = ok

Always remember this coward
xFjBlOI.png

Also - lol gt7 obviously looks better
That’s because John is a certified Woketard. He despised Hogwarts Legacy like all the other woke clowns protesting the game due to JK Rowling’s political stance. His shrieking in that post is the proof.

Last edited:
Whatever you want to say, pretty impressive that a cross-gen title is most of the times looking better than a heavily delayed built from the ground up game. Can only imagine what a PS5 exclusive GT8 will look like. Polyphony Digital are god on earth.
We dont even have to say its cross-gen. Just the fact that it came 1.5 years before Forza 8 and still looks better is the insane part....especially those from the ground up comments.

ShakenG

It does though lol. The fact PD needs to utilize machine learning AI to come up with something half decent to replace their awful AI already in the game is sad. Lots of racing games out already with far better AI than anything PD will produce even with machine learning.
You do realise Motorsport is using machine learning right?

"The fact PD needs to utilize machine learning AI to come up with something half decent to replace their awful AI already in the game is sad."

Maybe you could expand on this because this a pretty idiotic thing to say. Anything to improve any part of the game should be seen as a plus but some how you managed to turn it into a negative.

Last edited:
So they told us what the sane ones already knew: GT 7 (a last-gen game) looks better than Forza (a built-from-the-ground-up next-gen-exclusive game).

I don't see a lot of people from this thread in this one. 🤔
You already see one trying to run defence by typing walls of text in this thread. GT7 looks better because regardless of technology used, some studios just know how to make pretty games. Let us take CP2077 vs Starfield for example. Even if you were to remove the RT stuff from CP2077, it would still look prettier than Starfield. From the characters to the materials to the NPCs to the textures everything just makes the game pop. The RT is just the icing on the cake. You can play both games on a low end PC like the Steam Deck and see with your own eyes which looks better, when the technical bells and whistles are stripped down. RT, VRS, mesh shaders, etc. are technical bullet points, which do not automatically manifest in a prettier game. In fact some like VRS, just make some aspects of the game uglier. I find Horizon Forbidden West and Zelda BOTW to be the most aesthetically pleasing games released this generation, neither of them use RT. I guess these things do not mean much in DF comparisons, but it makes sense to have somebody with artistic sensibilities in charge of the looks department, so that the rendering is in service of the art not clashing with it.

sendit

It does though lol. The fact PD needs to utilize machine learning AI to come up with something half decent to replace their awful AI already in the game is sad. Lots of racing games out already with far better AI than anything PD will produce even with machine learning.
This the hill you want to die on? Wait until you see the future.

FingerBang

After watching the entire video, it's undeniable GT7 is the most impressive game. Now, I can understand someone might prefer the general look of Forza, since it tries to be more "realistic" in a way, but overall the lighting system, the car models and the way the game is structured proved GT is still the king.

I would also blame Turn 10 for basically lying at reveal. It looked like a legit next-gen game and what we got is something that could easily run on the previous gen machines. And I say they lied because the game does not look like that "in-engine reveal" on PC either, where power is absolutely not an issue.
The ray tracing stuff ended up making little to no difference to the visual quality (if something, reflections might look slightly worse than the cube maps used and RTAO does not make a huge difference) and what it does better, the damages, is really not enough to make a real difference in the core gameplay.

That said, it's not that Xbox/PC only players have an option.

Senua

Gold Member
After watching the entire video, it's undeniable GT7 is the most impressive game. Now, I can understand someone might prefer the general look of Forza, since it tries to be more "realistic" in a way, but overall the lighting system, the car models and the way the game is structured proved GT is still the king.

I would also blame Turn 10 for basically lying at reveal. It looked like a legit next-gen game and what we got is something that could easily run on the previous gen machines. And I say they lied because the game does not look like that "in-engine reveal" on PC either, where power is absolutely not an issue.
The ray tracing stuff ended up making little to no difference to the visual quality (if something, reflections might look slightly worse than the cube maps used and RTAO does not make a huge difference) and what it does better, the damages, is really not enough to make a real difference in the core gameplay.

That said, it's not that Xbox/PC only players have an option.
RTAO is a pretty big difference only because their previous AO implementations have been abysmal. Playground always managed to have decent AO but T10 just falter, at least they can't fuck up RTAO

GHG

Sophy Ai would bump into player’s car like Forza did.Still DF use normal Ai to compare

Why don't you show what forza's AI is like in comparison to the regular GT AI?

Sophy is still being tested and hasn't been sorted to appropriately respond to the various flag conditions, hence you can't do longer races with it yet and it's limited to a small number of tracks.

Reminder - Microsoft have one of the biggest and most sophisticated AI teams on the planet. Yet, we still have people attempting to defend the AI in Forza. Ridiculous.

I thought Sophy had the name Sophy during races? Also, those are nothing alike, one drives at you full speed and smashes into you.

Look at the timing sheet on the left and the icons next to the cars. It's sophy that is being demonstrated in that video.

Last edited:

tommib

Why don't you show what forza's AI is like in comparison to the regular GT AI?

Sophy is still being tested and hasn't been sorted to appropriately respond to the various flag conditions, hence you can't do longer races with it yet and it's limited to a small number of tracks.

Reminder - Microsoft have one of the biggest and most sophisticated AI teams on the planet. Yet, we still have people attempting to defend the AI in Forza. Ridiculous.

Look at the timing sheet on the left and the icons next to the cars. It's sophy that is being demonstrated in that video.

Man, now I wish we had an 1 hour video to compare AI between these games. It’s like cars in Forza don’t even acknowledge a stationary vehicle.

Car Crash Fire GIF by Farmers Insurance ®

Top Bottom