• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 7 vs. Forza Motorsport (2023)

Elysium44

Banned
u1dQM5T.jpg

The LOD hasn't fully loaded the correct letters in to the sign yet. Can't believe DF missed that.

I just had a look on PC, you're right, it doesn't look anything like as bad as DF made it look. Unless it improved since the recent patch.

qxb9mrh.jpg

IrWNXSM.jpg

I still play Forza Horizon 4 and am still struck by how good it looks, there was obviously a team of extremely hard working people who poured enormous effort and LOVE into making it. FM2023 doesn't seem to have any of that magic. (Also without ray tracing. But the reflections look real enough. You can see the surroundings reflected on the car, the car reflected in puddles etc.) It looks so much better than FM2023 and yet is much lighter on resources too.

The management at Turn 10 are evidently too comfortable with mediocrity. They have no passion, their game is completely uninspired and lacklustre.

They're also liars imo. The way they showed that reveal at an Xbox conference that implied it was going to look that good on Series X, the way they talked about and hyped up the rt mode contrasted with what we got. All seems very dishonest and half assed. Even if it looks as good as GT7, that's not something to be proud of with the benefit of 2 years and next gen only- that's a failure imo.

Never brag power again unless you have the expertise to utilise and support those claims.

The problem I see is that they took the Xbox One v PS4 resolution issue and the constant chatter about it to heart. They listened to outspoken people on social media parading as big Xbox fans (you probably know a couple I’m hinting at) that haven’t got a friggin clue either ,Xbox took it too literally and just put out better numbers in future hardware without the finesse to showcase it with the content.

“Monsters for breakfast” “power your dreams” it’s clear it’s all marketing shite. In some ways I feel Series X is a bigger letdown then Xbox One because I thought they would of sorted some problems and come out stronger this generation aiming to grow market share and not just overly rely on a decently priced subscription service.

Forza is by no means a ugly game, having seen the two close up you can tell which one has finesse about it and it’s not Turn 10s offering.

Halo Infinite isn’t what it should be and this Forza isn’t either. They should be top of the class in their genres across the board , revered titles showcasing the capabilities of Series X.

Shouldn’t that be a good thing in pointing these things out so the platform and the content gets better ? Blowing smoke up Xbox executives arses on social media and in interviews clearly isn’t working...and I’m not talking about cigar smoke either....

Well said. Between Forza and Halo Infinite my disappointment is immense. MS has done everything wrong this gen unless you're someone who values Gamepass above all else.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
GT7 is the best console sim racer ever for me. I think F7 looks good on PC and appreciate it there but feel it isn't properly leveraging the advantage of PC. That's what you get for sharing the load from a Series S to a high end PC.

GT7 and it's presentation are second to none. And it's not even perfect but when you see it in motion and take the package as a whole (VR included), it's unrivaled.

FH is such a better game and kills 7 in presentation.

John was good to talk about HDR and surround in GT7. They are stunning.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Dude you are too close to it to get the further LOD, stop projecting please.
If your talking to me I'm using gameplay in chase view with spinning camera around.

Loaded via PS app so not sure if full rez.

Never uploaded via that before.

GHG

We've been through this same shit before in that other thread where there are disingenuous people attempting to use GT7 PS4 shots, or heavily compressed/washed out/doctored shots (or even screenshots from videos with botched HDR capture) in some attempt to prop up Forza for some unknown reason.

This demonstrates the difference perfectly:

Here are several posts from individuals who actually took the time to get direct feed captures from PS5 gameplay:

granturismo7_20220628pqiui.jpg

granturismo7_20220628z8dy9.jpg

Maybe at some point people will move on to the acceptance phase.

If your talking to me I'm using gameplay in chase view with spinning camera around.

Loaded via PS app so not sure if full rez.

Never uploaded via that before.

Why is your so called "screenshot" a 720p 1mb image?:

qJinn63.jpg

Last edited:

tommib

We've been through this same shit before in that other thread where there are disingenuous people attempting to use GT7 PS4 shots, or heavily compressed/washed out/doctored shots (or even screenshots from videos with botched HDR capture) in some attempt to prop up Forza for some unknown reason.

Here are several posts from individuals who actually took the time to get direct feed captures from PS5 gameplay:

Why is your so called "screenshot" a 720p 1.16mb image?:

qJinn63.jpg
People are posting PS4 images? Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

GHG

That other thread had it all. People using PS4 images/videos, screenshots from videos where the video source was youtube/twitter, converted HDR images, people attempting to pass off heavily compressed low resolution shots as "direct feed" etc, etc.

It's actually more effort to do some of those things than it is to just get high quality png images from your PS5 and then transfer them.

Who Knows Idk GIF

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Why is your so called "screenshot" a 720p 1.16mb image?:

qJinn63.jpg
I have uploaded via PS app. I have stated that and have said wasn't sure what the rez was. Check back on the post.

Nothing disingenuous going on my end.

Don't make out you are Columbo. I will gladly upload another way now I know its not full rez.

Edit. Here you go, I presume that's ok.

SHARE-20231215-0950310.png

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

I did when I was showing how even the PS4 version of GT7 was better than FM2023 in some respects. It's about context, not everything is a conspiracy against one particular 'side' or other. Like me posting the sign from Laguna Seca which showed Forza looking a lot better than DF said it looked, but apparently it looks worse on console which I didn't know. (I am trying Forza again on a PC game pass trial, so I can no longer try it on Xbox. It's a play anywhere game but the game pass permission is locked to PC.)

Reactions: GHG

BigLee74

That other thread had it all. People using PS4 images/videos, screenshots from videos where the video source was youtube/twitter, converted HDR images, people attempting to pass off heavily compressed low resolution shots as "direct feed" etc, etc.

It's actually more effort to do some of those things than it is to just get high quality png images from your PS5 and then transfer them.

Who Knows Idk GIF

Just one way was it, GHG? Asking for a friend.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I did when I was showing how even the PS4 version of GT7 was better than FM2023 in some respects. It's about context, not everything is a conspiracy against one particular 'side' or other. Like me posting the sign from Laguna Seca which showed Forza looking a lot better than DF said it looked, but apparently it looks worse on console which I didn't know. (I am trying Forza again on a PC game pass trial, so I can no longer try it on Xbox. It's a play anywhere game but the game pass permission is locked to PC.)
I can assure you its ok on XSX. See my post (313). I have PC as well and its fine on that. There was a update the day before the DF video went out, must have been a bug.

I have noticed on PC the tree shadow lod seems very poor on track. Only had a quick mess around on it though, not 100% on some of the settings. Watkins Glen was the track.

Last edited:

GHG

Just one way was it, GHG? Asking for a friend.

If you've noticed anyone posting unrepresentative images of Forza then you're free to point it out.

I'm sure someone can provide you with some FM screenshots from a potato PC so that you don't feel left out.

I have uploaded via PS app. I have stated that and have said wasn't sure what the rez was. Check back on the post.

Nothing disingenuous going on my end.

Don't make out you are Columbo. I will gladly upload another way now I know its not full rez.

Edit. Here you go, I presume that's ok.

SHARE-20231215-0950310.png

I don't know what you're doing to source and upload a heavily compressed 720p image but it's the same thing again.

Wasn't referring to you, when you've contributed you've always outlined the source/settings regardless of the game your displaying. The people I'm referring to know who they are.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
If you've noticed anyone posting unrepresentative images of Forza then you're free to point it out.

I'm sure someone can provide you with some FM screenshot from a potato PC so that you don't feel left out.

I don't know what you're doing to source and upload a heavily compressed 720p image but it's the same thing again.

Wasn't referring to you, when you've contributed you've always outlined the source/settings regardless of the game your displaying. The people I'm referring to know who they are.
Copied directly from PS5 to Usb then uploaded via PC. I'll double check later, maybe I messed up somewhere.

Reactions: GHG
Gran Turismo is a game made from someone that has passion for cars. It's as simple as that. Forza is just a business.

There's also the fact Gran Turismo has a certain art style that serves the game just right. Like it's "too clear" to be considered realistic sometimes while Forza tries to go for a more realistic look but doesn't work as good as ends up looking more washed out.

It's clearly a japanese game vs an american one in every way.
The bolded part that i mentioned and felt i didn't know how to explain too well can be seen all through scenes in sunny days in both games:

gt7.png

Give me those GT visuals any day. Also after watching the video...what's up with Forza excessive folliage blocking landscapes at times when compared with the original tracks?

tommib

The bolded part that i mentioned and felt i didn't know how to explain too well can be seen all through scenes in sunny days in both games:

gt7.png

Give me those GT visuals any day. Also after watching the video...what's up with Forza excessive folliage blocking landscapes at times when compared with the original tracks?
Even without the game looking so much better, compare the PowerPoint slides of the menus in Forza. It’s absolutely devoid of personality.

There’s no joy, no brand history, no clips of historical events of cars, no 3D pre-rendered gorgeous locations to see your new car coming through, no love.

Navigating GT7 is always an endless fun activity with their events, missions, licenses, the beautiful garage, all that with some elegant jazz in the background while you’re sitting at a cafe with world renowned car experts. And then you can just initate a new race in the blink of an eye with the 0 loading times to check your newly acquired legendary car.

These games are just world apart in their quality.

As I said before, it’s Sony’s best game this generation, neck and neck with Returnal.

Last edited:

nowhat

There’s no joy, no brand history, no clips of historical events of cars, no 3D pre-rendered gorgeous locations to see your new car coming through, no love.
I agree with you in principle, and in practice also even, but one can't help but to feel PD really love cars, up to an unhealthy level. Like, it's great that you have passion, but maybe tone it down a little every now and then? I've said it before and I'll say it again, when buying a used car from Kaz, better check out the rear exhaust first.

yes, I'm implying they literally fuck cars

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree with you in principle, and in practice also even, but one can't help but to feel PD really love cars, up to an unhealthy level. Like, it's great that you have passion, but maybe tone it down a little every now and then? I've said it before and I'll say it again, when buying a used car from Kaz, better check out the rear exhaust first.

yes, I'm implying they literally fuck cars
No.

sigrad

Seriously. They surely fucked up and didn't go back finish this part of the track. No excuse for it to look this bad.
I'm a HUGE Forza fan and GT7 definitely looks a lot better than Forza. I don't get it. It's like they are lying about the built form ground up comment. Or, they are just lazy AF. Forza plays pretty damn good though. Can't comment on GT7. Havent played it.

Last edited:

blue velvet

What's up with turn10 and their obsession with overtaking Gran Turismo. It's like their whole studio has some kind of inferiority complex. It's no surprise that their fans share the same mentality.
Kaz doesn't even give a hoot for any of these console wars, he just want to make car culture and interest with cars relevant and alive as he could. I've never heard him speaking badly of other games or devs at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom