• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with PS4's PlayStation 2 emulation

It seems like those games are exclusive to owners of SW Battlefront bundle (even though they were available for PS3 some time ago).

Fuck :/

EDIT: I think Sony is quiet about that, because MS has better solution than them - emulating newer console. Or maybe I'm wrong. Still, I was suprised to read the title of the article at first.

MS emulating 360 on X1 is a better solution to PS2 emulation on PS4?

Talk about nonsense.

One is a solution for 360 emulation, the other for PS2.

Sony gives zero fucks about 360 emulation or X1.

yatesl

I'm tagging this topic so I can laugh at everyone flipping their shit.

I really hope mod didn't change the title.

Trago

Do people really believe that if they buy a digital license for a game on one platform, they then have a lifetime license for that game on any subsequent platform on which the game is released?

Considering how cross buy has been a major selling point for a lot of their digital titles, yes actually.

timmyp53

This is not a confirmation of anything. Rare Replay has emulated games. Does that mean we have OG Xbox BC. Sorry guys.

YES! Finally something more than just speculation.

Edit: To be clear I mean that emulation is possible. People had mentioned earlier that it seemed like emulation since prompts and such hadn't changed in game, so it wasn't a port.

Haha at people freaking out over repackaged old news.

This is not a confirmation of anything. Rare Replay has emulated games. Does that mean we have OG Xbox BC. Sorry guys.
Yeah, I'm sure someone made a PS2 emulator for the PS4 just for some shitty Star Wars bonus games.

FelipeMGM

People should start reading the text/watching the video before assuming things. They even say in the piece that they reached out to Sony for info on this.

maxresdefault.jpg
120658-Vine-Surprise-Motherfucker-gif-mRKh.gif

dracula_x

Oh my, oh my...

Please let this be a reality not only for the SW games. PSX please deliver.

well...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1111790

A handful of PlayStation 2 titles are coming to the PlayStation 4, if recent ratings by PEGI - the European ratings board - are to be believed (thanks, All Games Beta).

The three titles in question are Ape Escape 2, Dark Chronicle (also known as Dark Cloud 2 in certain territories) and Twisted Metal: Black. All are listed on PEGI's website as having a release date of, well, today as it turns out.

Ludens

Banned
If it's simple emulation, there won't be trophies.
If there are trophies, it means the game has been partially re-worked.

Blanquito

Looks like it increases the frame rate to 60 as well (at least for the game they were showing in the video). Looked nice and smooth.

Read the article, that is addressed. It's emulation with watching the game state from the PS4 side of things to pop trophies.

Jb

If Nocture and other SMT games make it over to PS4 I'll be so fucking happy.
Too bad KOTOR didn't come out on PS2, ould have made a better offering than these SW PS2 games.

TI82

Banned
Suppose this is the big reveal for PSX, wonder what the launch games will be. Should be Crossbuy since Sony isn't money grubby like one of the other big three.

thatJohann

Much better indeed. Love how it's 4x the resolution of original PSX games. Looks so much cleaner, and it has a post-processing filter on top to get rid of jaggies, looks pretty much as good as old ps2 games can look. Vagrant Story should look pretty impressive.

I only kept one of my ps2 games, final fantasy XII which looks shitty on the 60GB Ps3. If this ps2 emulator is really coming to the ps4, I hope I can play this game upscaled.

The Redmond giant is allowing gamers to use their existing discs to play Xbox 360 games on its latest console (albeit as a 'key' that prompts a full download).

Awesome!

Meanwhile, the evidence to date - not least the ESRB ratings for PS2 classics - perhaps suggests that Sony's plans for the PS2 emulator involve selling these titles digitally, just as it did last-gen. With the PS2 emulation now in the hands of consumers, hopefully Sony's plans for the technology will be revealed shortly.

Lame :|

There are trophies and it still seems like emulation. Sony has a patent for adding trophies on top of games which could mean as little as a small patch to games that support it.

DMNBT

Neo Member
I wonder if there's an emulator build for each game or if it's like X1's 360 BC and there's an universal PS2 emulator and they simply tweak some parameters for each game.

Top Bottom