• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with PS4's PlayStation 2 emulation

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Disc-based emulation is all I need (or at the least, having the disc in the tray allows me to download a digital version of the game)...

Gotta start planning my lists for eBay acquisition.

Better start collecting...
your dollars, because there probably won't be disc-based support.

I actually checked if it was somehow Aprils Fools.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 please. Make a proper HD collection by just running the original games at higher res.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Man I am irrationally excited for this. This is super cool.

Hopefully they support it well. PS2 classics on PS3 was kind of a mess in terms of the amount of releases.

Personally I think its reasonable to want your digital PS2 classics you bought on PS3 to work on PS4 but don't really feel the same way about actual PS2 discs. Not sure why you would expect 15 year old PS2 games to work on a new system although it'd be nice if they did so, doesn't make a ton of business sense.

I don't know how trophies are handled on PS3/PS4, but I'm pretty sure you need to put your hands on the code to say "By doing X, you unlock the Y trophy", so yes, you need to partially rework the game if it's something like Steam achievement api.

I don't know how this works, but someone can explain it to me? How the emulator can "read" the game and unlock a trophy?

Did you even read the article/watch the video? It says that trophies appear to work by monitoring the game state and using in game triggers as the triggers for the trophies.

I know I'm jumping the gun a little, but PS2 emulation on PS4 would be sweet. PlayStation's most successful console and its library playable on PS4 would be genius.

Sevyne

I am sort of amazed at the idea that trophies would be more important to people than resolution/framerate improvements.

If trophies are mandatory I would be irritated because it would be a potential barrier to certain games getting released (if the publishers decided that the cost of implementing trophies was not worth it).

The resolution and framerate bumps are just as important (if not more), but the addition of trophies would be less expected even with knowledge of the patent existing. That's probably why it's more talked about at the moment.

All of that together is very exciting to think about if it ends up being true for more games.

This is Sony, so of course you're gonna have to rebuy

Not sure why you'd come to that conclusion when Sony were the ones that kind of pioneered the whole Cross-buy thing.

mollipen

Laaaaaaag tesssssssssts. PS3's BC was useless to me, I assume this will be as well.

Why? PS1 emulation was perfect on the PSP, as well as the PS Vita. The problem was clearly with the PS3 itself. There's no reason to assume the PS4 can't or won't handle both PS1 and PS2 stuff just fine.

Huh? PS1 content I've purchased is usable on my PS3, PSP, and Vita. Why are we suddenly assuming Sony is going to make us re-buy those games for the PS1? Nintendo is the one notorious for making people re-buy their old digital titles, not Sony.

entremet

I know I'm jumping the gun a little, but PS2 emulation on PS4 would be sweet. PlayStation's most successful console and its library playable on PS4 would be genius.

It was pretty tame on the PS3. We got some ATLUS games and others, but the rollout was pretty weak.

I complain about the VC all the time, but it made the VC look like an embarrassment of riches.

Hopefully, more publishers get on board.

This is cool stuff. I've not yet opened my Vader PS4 and intended on holding off on the downloading the SW Bundle with it. My backlog is just too big!

If not for their insurance sales (not joking) and the gaming division, Sony would be up shit creek. I hate the idea of having to rebuy too but they're not exactly swimming in cash at the moment. Can't blame em too much for trying to find ways to make quick profit without too much capital investment. Sucks from a consumer standpoint though, especially since I still own a bunch of PS2 games.

NIGHT-

Why? PS1 emulation was perfect on the PSP, as well as the PS Vita. The problem was clearly with the PS3 itself. There's no reason to assume the PS4 can't or won't handle both PS1 and PS2 stuff just fine.

Huh? PS1 content I've purchased is usable on my PS3, PSP, and Vita. Why are we suddenly assuming Sony is going to make us re-buy those games for the PS1? Nintendo is the one notorious for making people re-buy their old digital titles, not Sony.

Sony has been the king of remasters and psnow. They just love people purchasing the same games over and over

Human_me

Sony will make a big deal about this.
However I think they plan to announce it and release it on the same day, and currently the emulator isn't ready.
At this point, I will be surprised if they don't announce it at PSX.

Bolivar687

Banned
The emulator sounds like there was actually some decent work put into it compared to others Sony has used. Disc based or not I'm excited.

Really hoping for an announcement for more PS2 games during PSX. And as this seems to be emulation, it surely seems possible. Going from that comparison image the games seem to clean up pretty well.

hal9001

Banned
195svm.png

2ors6m.png

3j4sri.png

tumblr_m560ea7ISN1r9zlfvo1_r1_500.gif

Sevyne

WTF am I reading? How does a game become better than a clearly superior one because of trophies of all things?

Yeah, the addition of trophies would be fantastic, but in no way would it make Cross better than Trigger. They're still the same games they always were after all. Don't know why he would even say that.

Drippy

I'm not sure that disc-based emulation of every PS2 title will be possible. If so, then emulator has to have a feature to play games directly from DVDs, it can't simply copy game on HDD because it would be copyright infringement I'm afraid. I don't know if PS4 optical drive is capable of playing DVD PS2 games directly from it.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yeah, the addition of trophies would be fantastic, but in no way would it make Cross better than Trigger. They're still the same games they always were after all. Don't know why he would even say that.

Yep. Don't care about trophy support. It's the dream for completionist but I better have the games than having the emulator be put on hold cause trophy support is a must for every title (hell nawwwwwwwww). It damn sure is not.

MrDaravon

I'm not sure that disc-based emulation of every PS2 title will be possible. If so, then emulator has to have a feature to play games directly from DVDs, it can't simply copy game on HDD because it would be copyright infringement I'm afraid. I don't know if PS4 optical drive is capable of playing DVD PS2 games directly from it.

? Isn't that how Xbox One emulation works for 360 games, you put the disc in to verify that you own it and then you actually are downloading the game from MS? I thought none of the 360 games actually ran off the disc itself, it was just a verification thing. Or am I wrong?

My reply was in reference to PS3 emulation, not PS2.

I thought his original post was in reference to the PS2. Same argument applies though... The PS3 is nowhere near as powerful as the PS4. It was at best roughly 5-10% faster than 360 on paper, which was only realized in exclusives at the end of the PS3s life cycle. For all intents and purposes the two last gen consoles were dead even. Its true the Xbone and PS4 catch deserved heat for lacking on the CPU side compared to, say, the i5 and i7...but its crazy talk to think either last gen console can hold a candle to the PS4 or Xbone.

Sakura

Nintendo is the one notorious for making people re-buy their old digital titles, not Sony.

You could transfer your digital DSi purchases to the 3DS, and your Wii purchases to the Wii U, so I would disagree with that.
Then if you wanted to get the Wii U version of a digital title, you only had to pay a little bit more if you already owned the game iirc.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member

I guess they could do like the Xbox One where you need the original 360 disc in the drive for authentication purposes, but the actual emulated game is downloaded and installed to your hard drive.

Not that I expect that to happen unfortunately, but I'm sure it'd be doable.

mekes

Disappointed that there was no mention of input lag in the article, since that was what plagued PS3's Playstation 2 backwards compatibility. For fighting games, which I'm particularly interested in, it was a humongous deal breaker.

This probably can't happen, but if disc-based ps2 games also worked....

By god

No reason why it cant apart from Sony's business decisions. From what I am aware of the PS4 does actually support the PS2 disc format its just that Sony disabled it in the firmware to avoid paying royalties.

Top Bottom