• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] LEGO City Undercover : PS4 vs Switch vs Xbox One

It's gonna be interesting to see how Nintendo switch holds up on its own against the twins for games like the call of duty series..

Hope they'll try to iron out performance in handheld mode at some point. Price is still a little too high for me even at $50, so hopefully they'll have a patch out by the time you can find it for $30. Not holding my breath though. Wii U performance wasn't exactly stellar and they seemed satisfied with that.

I would have gladly taken dynamic resolution in both Switch modes for a consistent 30 fps.

I'm surprised no one has made the "Scorpio" post in this thread.

Seemed like the perfect first post response.

NeoGaf is finally maturing...maybe

Ryoku

So is this another garbo effort with no Pro support? Between Switch and PS4 parity and XB1 being worse than them, it's pretty easy to see they put no effort in anything but the Switch version.

Hope people aren't supporting it on PS4/XB1

What? I swear the hyperbole here sometimes....
FYKDBng.jpg

OryoN

So is this another garbo effort with no Pro support? Between Switch and PS4 parity and XB1 being worse than them, it's pretty easy to see they put no effort in anything but the Switch version.

Chill with that salted nonsense, please.

You - and several others - are just making stuff up to fit your narrative.

There is no real "parity" between PS4 and Switch. Certainly, much less so than with PS4-XB1(I'll get to that later).

Just forget about Switch for now. It's no one's fault - but the console's designers? - that XB1 can't keep up with PS4 under the limitations of X/Y/Z game engine. This has been a concern since forever, and devs have various ways of addressing this. A reduced resolution is the most common workaround. Don't use the Switch as a scapegoat now that it's thrown into the mix.

As for parity....Switch running at 1080p isn't what I'd call " PS4 parity" IF there were a several (acceptable) cuts made to allow it to run as admirably as it does. If anything, pushing for PS4-XB1 parity is the reason why XB1 had to take a resolution cut.

They wanted that 60 fps indoor target, higher quality shadows, higher quality reflections, higher quality depth of field, and ambient occlusion. None of that comes for free, and on a less powerful console than PS4(in addition to the constraints/inefficiencies of the game engine), something had to give.

The Switch, on the other hand, had downgrages in all those areas listed, but you are claiming it as "PS4 parity" just so you can cry foul? That's not just disingenuous... it's blatantly so!

As pertaining to what this thread dissolved into:
It's clear that these individual downgrages on Switch ports are relatively minor, but in total, they go an extremely long way into helping this much weaker system to "keep up." As a result, the notion which many previously trumpeted(that Switch won't be able to run current gen ports. Wii/Wii U all over again, yada yada...) is being chipped away at with each new analysis. It's causing so much salt in the process! I look forward to more salt, lazy devs accusations, and goal-post-moving in future analyses.

What? I swear the hyperbole here sometimes....
FYKDBng.jpg

Switch running at higher resolution than XB1 but I'm the one spouting hyperbole lol please

Developers deserve to be called out when they do a bad job. I get called out when I'm at work and I don't do a good job.

Switch running at higher resolution than XB1 but I'm the one spouting hyperbole lol please

Developers deserve to be called out when they do a bad job. I get called out when I'm at work and I don't do a good job.
You are getting called out right now, because you did a bad job posting.

And you deserve it.

The hyperbole part is where you suggested that the developers put "no effort in anything but the Switch version."

It's hyperbolic (and useless) because even if all that was necessary to port these games to X1/PS4 was press a big red button (hyperbole to show how silly you're being), that would still require even a small bit of effort to press. Since the process to port is almost certainly much more complicated than that, you are being hyperbolic with your statement about no effort being put into anything but the Switch version.

Seik

Banned

Maybe you should read this thread a bit more, the people answering you or actually WATCH DF's video.

Because now you sound very basic by putting all your anger on resolution alone and wishing the game and developers to go bankrupt.

They did cut corners so that Switch is 1080p and it's not keeping a solid framerate even with the cuts they did. X1 version is more close to parity with PS4 than Switch.

I don't get why sony and microsoft fanboys get butt hurt when the devs optimize switch hardware to be comparable to the ps4/microsoft. Its always the "devs aren't pushing ps4/xbone to the fullest" excuse. ugh. Double FP16 is real folks. And even with it fully optimized, the Switch is still 2-3x weaker xbone and ps4 in GPU power.. But still with double fp16, it narrows the power gap considerably which would have other wise been 3-4.5x if the Switch didn't support double fp16/mixed precision

VanWinkle

It's interesting seeing how massively improved the Switch version is over Wii U. Way higher resolution, completely revamped lighting with PBR, some upgraded texture/normal maps, slightly upgraded shadows, and more stable performance. Yet looking at something like BOTW, we have a higher resolution (but not as big an increase as LEGO), and that's basically it. Makes me wonder if the power difference isn't huge (like BOTW would suggest) and LEGO on Wii U just didn't push the hardware much, or BOTW just doesn't take nearly enough advantage of the Switch power.

It's interesting seeing how massively improved the Switch version is over Wii U. Way higher resolution, completely revamped lighting with PBR, some upgraded texture/normal maps, slightly upgraded shadows, and more stable performance. Yet looking at something like BOTW, we have a higher resolution (but not as big an increase as LEGO), and that's basically it. Makes me wonder if the power difference isn't huge (like BOTW would suggest) and LEGO on Wii U just didn't push the hardware much, or BOTW just doesn't take nearly enough advantage of the Switch power.

I think BotW just is a lot more demanding in areas other than visuals, like physics, weather, AI, etc. such that it's far harder to actually optimize effectively than LC:U.

TLZ

Banned
I don't get why sony and microsoft fanboys get butt hurt when the devs optimize switch hardware to be comparable to the ps4/microsoft. Its always the "devs aren't pushing ps4/xbone to the fullest" excuse. ugh. Double FP16 is real folks. And even with it fully optimized, the Switch is still 2-3x weaker xbone and ps4 in GPU power.. But still with double fp16, it narrows the power gap considerably which would have other wise been 3-4.5x if the Switch didn't support double fp16/mixed precision

How do you know fp16 was used? Was it mentioned somewhere? Also if it was used in switch, why not in ps4?

And no need for that 'butt hurt' expression. You're only adding fuel to fire. People expressing concerns doesn't automatically mean they're 'butt hurt'.

plank

How do you know fp16 was used? Was it mentioned somewhere? Also if it was used in switch, why not in ps4?

And no need for that 'butt hurt' expression. You're only adding fuel to fire. People expressing concerns doesn't automatically mean they're 'butt hurt'.

Base PS4 doesn't use fp16 from what I heard only the Pro does.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This might come as a shock to you van but not all games are created equal, also not every game has the same level of optimisation

Crayon

I'm ready to see how the switch handles a new aaa cross platform game. I guess we don't know what that is yet. Might be awhile.

Vinnk

This is (ostensibly) a tech thread, so discussion centers on precise comparisons between various hardware. How people feel about those differences is a separate discussion.

I understand that. But it is also a thread where the article in the OP is titled "Lego City Undercover on Switch holds up well against PS4" which is the point I am trying to make as well. If you disagree that it does, that is something I am not going to try to change. But I and I guess DF think the difference is not as great as some are making it out to be.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Haven't been keeping up but how's the loading on Switch compared to the WiiU SKU? That really dampened things for me first time around.

I understand that. But it is also a thread where the article in the OP is titled "Lego City Undercover on Switch holds up well against PS4" which is the point I am trying to make as well. If you disagree that it does, that is something I am not going to try to change. But I and I guess DF think the difference is not as great as some are making it out to be.
Exactly what does "holds up well" mean, though? Certainly not that the version is as good; they specifically say they'd choose either PS4 or Xbox One over the Switch version. It seems just as obvious that it's not particularly bad. Perhaps it means "Switch is pretty much as expected"?

In any case, we agree that an assessment of whether it "holds up well" is fundamentally subjective. In that arena, your stance on the matter is no less valuable than mine. But when I read a technical analysis, I'm not looking to simply give someone else's opinion my assent or dissent. I'm interested in what the actual technical differences are.

VanWinkle

This might come as a shock to you van but not all games are created equal, also not every game has the same level of optimisation

I know that, and I know that realistically the situation probably lies somewhere in the middle of the two scenarios. But it's still interesting to me to see one developer push their engine to its limit on Wii U (evidence being the frequent frame drops) and getting MASSIVELY upgraded moving to Switch, while another developer pushes their engine to its limits on Wii U while having a rather small upgrade moving to Switch.

It will be interesting to see where the system ends up being a year or so from now from a graphical output standpoint compared to the Wii U. It's obviously CAPABLE of producing much greater results, but then we don't know how unoptimized the LEGO engine was on the Wii U.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Exactly what does "holds up well" mean, though? Certainly not that the version is as good
It's managed expectations. When Wii U launched its ports also ran not as good as PS3 and x360 games. It was a shocker and the media reaction was lethal.

Now the Switch is also having ports than run not as good as PS4 and XBox One. But there's no outrage this time, why? Managed expectations. Considering its tiny size, the technical gap is obviously expected. And all things considered the difference is shockingly small, thus media positive headlines.

Trup1aya

Smh its a higher resolution on switch because they turned of a bunch of graphical effects.

The xb1 version had all the effects the ps4 version had, but its less powerful than the ps4 so it has a lower res than the ps4.

The switch version is the least visually impressive.

mieumieu

Gamers have no way to know who actually did a bad job. Devs? publishers who did not allocate sufficient budgets? Or other factors?

Smh its a higher resolution on switch because they turned of a bunch of graphical effects.

The xb1 version had all the effects the ps4 version had, but its less powerful than the ps4 so it has a lower res than the ps4.

The switch version is the least visually impressive.

But it can be played EVERYWHERE and EVERYTIME.
Most gamers will not even notice the graphical differences.

atbigelow

Really enjoyed DFs video here. Actually pretty interested in picking this up, but have plenty to play right now.

Very interesting how much improved the game on Switch is vs the Wii U. Curious about the shadows, though. Wonder if the lack of (comparatively) large EDRAM bandwidth is responsible.

I also wonder how/if/when DF and others will be able to capture handheld footage.

Yeah it's like Switch version was the lead development then they just simply ported that version to PS4/XB1 with no additional hassle just maybe increase a few graphical stuff here and there and that's it pure laziness. They could've​ done much more whether improve frame rates outdoors to 60fps or make bigger visual improvements if they optimised to their specific hardware but they just opted for the quick port and parity and called it a day.
Get used to it. 👼

Wil348

Just got the Switch version today and I'm very happy with it so far. Framerate is kind of rough undocked but still playable, and otherwise it seems like a decent port.

opricnik

Banned

Why anyone with OG PS4 Or Slim care about pro support again

Ridley327

I know that, and I know that realistically the situation probably lies somewhere in the middle of the two scenarios. But it's still interesting to me to see one developer push their engine to its limit on Wii U (evidence being the frequent frame drops) and getting MASSIVELY upgraded moving to Switch, while another developer pushes their engine to its limits on Wii U while having a rather small upgrade moving to Switch.

It will be interesting to see where the system ends up being a year or so from now from a graphical output standpoint compared to the Wii U. It's obviously CAPABLE of producing much greater results, but then we don't know how unoptimized the LEGO engine was on the Wii U.

I don't think any of the subsequent LEGO games had too many of the issues on Wii U that LCU had, aside from the too-demanding two-screen co-op solution. BotW strikes me as a situation where Nintendo was on a tight time budget and couldn't afford to miss launch, resulting in less of the usual upgrades you would normally see in multiplatform releases on more powerful hardware.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I highly recommend you get this game on any platform you own.

This was one of the best Wii U exclusives, timed as we found out. Better GTA clone than The Simpsons: Hit & Run, and that's prestigious company.

Legitimately hilarious and an 8.5/10 game. Might actually buy the remaster at some point on PS4, and I don't really rebuy games I already own much.

Top Bottom