• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] LEGO City Undercover : PS4 vs Switch vs Xbox One

EDarkness

If there isn't that solid requirement that the portable mode is the entry point and the base version, and the docked mode is built on that, we're going to have a crap ton of horrible experiences on Switch for people who use it as a portable.

I just don't understand why docked players have to get the shaft, though? Portable mode is not the most important mode of the system.

It's subtle but it makes some edges appear rough.

I took some screens with the Switch built-in screenshot function, so it's in jpg but you can still see it on some edges : http://imgur.com/a/DJyge

Note the rough edge on the stairs ramp in the second one, or the bottom of the tree in the first one.
Thanks a lot for these! Looking at it, I agree with Branduil, this looks like the effect of awful post-process AA. It's most apparent in high-contrast situations, so the scanner effect or that very brightly-lit stairway. But it's actually all over the image. I bet there's nearly as much shimmer and crawling in motion as if it had no AA at all. (Though the game in general won't have a ton due to the strong motion blur.)

I'll think of it this way. If a random group of people were watching TV and saw a trailer for the game that used PS4 footage during a commercial break and then at the next commercial break, they saw the same ad but with Switch footage, would they notice they were on different systems? I mean without someone explicitly pointing it out or telling them ahead of time to look for differences?
If the PS4 commercial picked footage from the 60fps segments, I bet they would. But that's beside the point. Some folks can't tell the difference between PS3 and PS4 games (or it doesn't matter to them). That doesn't mean PS3 is "punching above its weight" or "surprisingly close to PS4" or "basically indistinguishable". Saying the same sorts of things about Switch is just as incorrect.

This is (ostensibly) a tech thread, so discussion centers on precise comparisons between various hardware. How people feel about those differences is a separate discussion.

It isn't a locked 30. The guy said it has many dips.
It also isn't native 1080p at all times; when undocked it's 720p. But I don't think he's interested in getting the details right.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Thanks a lot for these! Looking at it, I agree with Branduil, this looks like the effect of awful post-process AA. It's most apparent in high-contrast situations, so the scanner effect or that very brightly-lit stairway. But it's actually all over the image. I bet there's nearly as much shimmer and crawling in motion as if it had no AA at all. (Though the game in general won't have a ton due to the strong motion blur.)

If the PS4 commercial picked footage from the 60fps segments, I bet they would. But that's beside the point. Some folks can't tell the difference between PS3 and PS4 games (or it doesn't matter to them). That doesn't mean PS3 is "punching above its weight" or "surprisingly close to PS4" or "basically indistinguishable". Saying the same sorts of things about Switch is just as incorrect.

This is (ostensibly) a tech thread, so discussion centers on precise comparisons between various hardware. How people feel about those differences is a separate discussion.

It also isn't native 1080p at all times; when undocked it's 720p. But I don't think he's interested in getting the details right.

You do know....he makes the distinction between docked and undocked right? And that undocked is automatically 720p because of the 720p screen

I literally can't believe a handheld is outperforming a console, resolution wise. Scorpio seems like a hail Mary at this point.

I would love to replay this game so I'll pick it up in PS4 at some point.

opricnik

Banned
I literally can't believe a handheld is outperforming a console, resolution wise. Scorpio seems like a hail Mary at this point.

I would love to replay this game so I'll pick it up in PS4 at some point.
Its dev in compenency to make a version like this , so what about games that performed better on og ps4 first when pro patches were lackluster ?

You do know....he makes the distinction between docked and undocked right? And that undocked is automatically 720p because of the 720p screen
No, the OP does not say anything about undocked resolution.

'the fuck ? Of course it's not 1080p undocked, the screen is 720p. It's obvious enough that I didn't bother mention it.
But the game could still be running at native 1080p when portable, and downsample. You should mention that it's native 720p undocked. You should also change the "locked 30fps" to say "unstable 30fps" when docked and "worse than docked" when undocked (though we don't have specific analysis of how much worse).

bomblord1

Banned
You should also change the "locked 30fps" to say "unstable 30fps" when docked and "worse than docked" when undocked (though we don't have specific analysis of how much worse).

It does need to be updated as it is not a locked 30fps but I would stick closer to Digital Foundries statements though as unstable 30fps makes it sounds like it is consistently unstable when its not.

which already sees some drops from its target 30fps when the console is attached to your HDTV. For the most part, Switch's performance level at 1080p while docked holds up well, but there are frame-rate drops when traversing the larger open world areas. By and large, it's still smoother overall than the original Wii U version

So something like 30fps with "some drops in larger open areas".

jonno394

Just played the 7th level in LCU
The Space base one
on Switch, encountered some bad performance in that one, moreso than anywhere else in the game so far, can't tell what was causing it either tbh.

It does need to be updated as it is not a locked 30fps but I would stick closer to Digital Foundries statements though as unstable 30fps makes it sounds like it is consistently unstable when its not.

So something like 30fps with "some drops in large areas".
Sure, doesn't have to be my specific wording. But a more detailed OP would be good, since it gets details wrong or omits them entirely. For example, PS4 and Xbox One's 60fps segments are not solely inside. And there are multiple graphical effects that differ between platforms, but the OP only mentions one.

EDIT: I just rewatched the video, and it's definitely not "some drops" in the open world. In all the driving footage, Switch struggles to hit 30fps almost constantly. There's also some other issues that Digital Foundry did not call out, despite appearing on their framerate graph. The final breakdown is something like this:

Code:
      Open world                           Small areas
PS4   30fps, single frames dropped rarely  60fps
XB1   30fps, some frames dropped           55-60fps
NSWd  27-30fps, w/ framepacing issues      30fps, some surges to 35fps?    
NSWu  ??? (worse than docked)              ??? (worse than docked)
WIU   25-30fps                             30fps

bomblord1

Banned
Sure, doesn't have to be my specific wording. But a more detailed OP would be good, since it gets details wrong or omits them entirely. For example, PS4 and Xbox One's 60fps segments are not solely inside. And there are multiple graphical effects that differ between platforms, but the OP only mentions one.

EDIT: I just rewatched the video, and it's definitely not "some drops" in the open world. In all the driving footage, Switch struggles to hit 30fps almost constantly. There's also some other issues that Digital Foundry did not call out, despite appearing on their framerate graph. The final breakdown is something like this:

Code:
PS4   60fps                                30fps, single frames dropped rarely
XB1   57-60fps                             30fps, some frames dropped

The driving footage was specifically chosen to highlight the drops for a point of comparison to the other platforms.

EDarkness

Code:
XB1   30fps, some frames dropped           57-60fps

Dude, I get this feeling you're trying your damnedest to paint the NS in a very bad light. I think you were also in the Snake Pass thread doing the same thing....

Lizardus

Why would a dev want to downsmaple in the undocked mode and have a worse battery life?

Has there been an example of this yet?

Dude, I get this feeling you're trying your damnedest to paint the NS in a very bad light. I think you were also in the Snake Pass thread doing the same thing....
What have I posted that's incorrect? If I'm wrong, I'll own up to that. If what I've posted is right, then I can't help how you feel about facts.

The Nintendo Switch is the most advanced, powerful portable gaming platform that has ever been released. It's superior to every other option for playing modern, graphically-intensive games on the go. And its docked mode enhances those games further.

But the game could still be running at native 1080p when portable, and downsample. You should mention that it's native 720p undocked. You should also change the "locked 30fps" to say "unstable 30fps" when docked and "worse than docked" when undocked (though we don't have specific analysis of how much worse).

Something tells me you have something against the Switch, because that's ridiculous.

Something tells me you have something against the Switch, because that's ridiculous.
How is that ridiculous? Supersampling is the best form of AA possible, if a developer wanted pristine image quality. Or do you think Switch is just not capable of doing this or something? I assure you, it can.

How is that ridiculous? Supersampling is the best form of AA possible, if a developer wanted pristine image quality. Or do you think Switch is just not capable of doing this or something? I assure you, it can.

We all know the game is not super sampled. It's common knowledge amoung this board that if the resolution in handheld mode isnt listed its native 720p. If its lower it will be stated. If the video mentions it is super sampled it will be stated.

LordKano

Okay, so.

No, the OP does not say anything about undocked resolution.

There isn't a single Switch game running at a downsampled resolution on portable mode and it's silly to think that it should be mentionned when it isn't. So far it never happened, and if it were to happen, it would have been mentionned as it would be a fairly huge news. Native 720p is the standard. I still added the mention that it's native 720p undocked but, really, you're really reaching there.

So something like 30fps with "some drops in larger open areas".

I updated it with that wording.

Code:

First, you're reaching extremely hard. DF didn't mention framepacing issues, I won't mention them, since it's a thread about Digital Foundry's analysis, not your interpretation of it. From DF's perspective, drops aren't large and I'll use their words instead of yours.
PS4 and Xbox One are 30fps outside (aka, the open world) and 60fps inside (aka, closed areas that aren't the open-world). Since you're the only one complaining, pretty much everyone understood that "inside" meant closed areas. Again, that's Digital Foundry's wording. I changed "indoor" to "inside closed areas" to be more precise.

I didn't mention every graphical differences as I won't copy/paste the whole article. There's a video and an article for you to read. I mentionned that there was way more in the link. I only copy/pasted some snippets, and reported the resolution/framerate differences as it's the most important things for most users.

I think that's it for the OP.

And the effect on the battery of this would be?
I don't know. But I can't imagine it would be so bad as to make 1080p impossible. After all, isn't Mario Kart 8 Deluxe supposed to be 1080p in handheld?

We all know the game is not super sampled. It's common knowledge amoung this board that if the resolution in handheld mode isnt listed its native 720p. If its lower it will be stated. If the video mentions it is super sampled it will be stated.
I agree it's going to be the default, but that doesn't mean it's best to go unstated. After all, everyone on the board knows 1080p is the default for PS4, yet the OP states that. Technical threads should generally report the results of the analysis, even if they're not surprising. This is a minor quibble, though.

Native 720p is the standard. I still added the mention that it's native 720p undocked but, really, you're really reaching there.
As I said above, I think MK8D has been said to be 1080p undocked, and that resolution isn't impossible for Switch in that mode. I think it's better to be clear from the start, but this isn't too big a deal either way.

First, you're reaching extremely hard. DF didn't mention framepacing issues, I won't mention them, since it's a thread about Digital Foundry's analysis, not your interpretation of it.
They also didn't mention Switch going above 30fps at points, but their framerate graph clearly shows it. Digital Foundry are not infallible, but it's not my interpretation here: it's just me reading their information off the screen.

In any case, thanks for updating the OP. It's much more informative now.

Code:

I own a Switch as well as a PS4 and these differences are important to me. I'm trying to decide which platform to get the game on and knowing all the information matters so I can properly weigh the pros and cons. Still can't decide though :p

LordKano

I don't know. But I can't imagine it would be so bad as to make 1080p impossible. After all, isn't Mario Kart 8 Deluxe supposed to be 1080p in handheld?

I agree it's going to be the default, but that doesn't mean it's best to go unstated. After all, everyone on the board knows 1080p is the default for PS4, yet the OP states that. Technical threads should generally report the results of the analysis, even if they're not surprising. This is a minor quibble, though.

As I said above, I think MK8D has been said to be 1080p undocked, and that resolution isn't impossible for Switch in that mode. I think it's better to be clear from the start, but this isn't too big a deal either way.

They also didn't mention Switch going above 30fps at points, but their framerate graph clearly shows it. Digital Foundry are not infallible, but it's not my interpretation here: it's just me reading their information off the screen.

Mario Kart 8 is native 720p on portable mode. 1080p docked.

Lizardus

Please stop, literally 2 seconds in google

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-nintendo-switch-resolution-and-frame-/1100-6446930/

It's an open world game running on an underclocked smart phone processor. It might be time to dial in your expectations.

edit: If you're talking about the X1 version then yeah, they could do better.
Tegra X1 runs at full clocks in which smartphone?

The Switch is definitely punching above its weight, but no need to downplay its internals to make it seem even more impressive how the ports seem to be holding up so far.

Its interesting to me how Sony and Microsoft are sort of throwing Nintendo a bone by telling devs they have to support vanilla PS4 and Xbox One. I wonder how long theyll keep that going, because Switch seems like the same gen as PS4 and Xbox One, even though its a lot less powerfup on paper. If devs could push PS4 pro at 1080p without having to worry about PS4, i dont think itd seem that way.

Anyone interested in testing things, the worst area for frame rate for me so far is up by the entrance to the mine where you have lots of alpha effects.

The Switch is definitely punching above its weight, but no need to downplay its internals to make it seem even more impressive how the ports seem to be holding up so far.

Its interesting to me how Sony and Microsoft are sort of throwing Nintendo a bone by telling devs they have to support vanilla PS4 and Xbox One. I wonder how long theyll keep that going, because Switch seems like the same gen as PS4 and Xbox One, even though its a lot less powerfup on paper. If devs could push PS4 pro at 1080p without having to worry about PS4, i dont think itd seem that way.

Anyone interested in testing things, the worst area for frame rate for me so far is up by the entrance to the mine where you have lots of alpha effects.

The problem with that is that most of the sales come from the OG PS4 and Xbox One so by only focusing on the upgrades you would be shitting on most of your customer base.

TLZ

Banned
I own a Switch as well as a PS4 and these differences are important to me. I'm trying to decide which platform to get the game on and knowing all the information matters so I can properly weigh the pros and cons. Still can't decide though :p

Well if you're only playing on TV then obviously get the ps4 version. If you're going to play it away from TV then go for the switch.

The PS4 Pros install base is so small it makes no sense to focus on that version to the detriment of the rest of the PS4 install base.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Please don't look 21st his posts for your decision, look at DF

The problem with that is that most of the sales come from the OG PS4 and Xbox One so by only focusing on the upgrades you would be shitting on most of your customer base.
You can argue that its a chicken and egg scenario. If the PS4 pro had exclusives maybe it'd be doing better. Anyways, not really wanting to sideline the thread just musing about how the business decision to do a ps4 plus and xbox one plus seems to be helping Nintendo here indirectly. Becuase people arent really comparing it to the Pro.

I love my Pro for what its worth.

KORNdoggy

I find it weird the title lf the article is "Lego City Undercover on Switch holds up well against PS4"

And yet at the end they this...

"we'd take PS4 as our preferred way to play, very closely followed by Xbox One. Switch falls behind owing to less consistent performance as opposed to its visual downgrades"

apparently it holds up so well it's the third and last choice when it comes to where they want to play it. I mean i suppose visually they're not wrong, but performance wise its a far cry from "holding up well compared to the ps4"

Might pick this up though, was going to for the wii-u 4 years ago, but load times put me off.

EDarkness

What have I posted that's incorrect? If I'm wrong, I'll own up to that. If what I've posted is right, then I can't help how you feel about facts.

The Nintendo Switch is the most advanced, powerful portable gaming platform that has ever been released. It's superior to every other option for playing modern, graphically-intensive games on the go. And its docked mode enhances those games further.

The article gives an idea of what people can expect from each version. There is no need in getting into damn every detail. What they explain is sufficient and works for someone who may want to choose which version to pick up. So it's basically PS4 > XBO >= NS (depending on how important the resolution thing is for you). All of the other details you're dragging up fall in inline with the differences they mention. Draggin' this thing out by trying to bring up every single thing is crazy and kinda reeks of some kind of agenda.

In any case, the fact that the NS is even as close as it is make the whole video interesting, in my opinion. There's no reason to downplay that fact. It not being perfect or using all the bells and whistles of the other two should be a given and is mentioned in the video.

YMMV, but frequent switching between 60 fps and 30 fps can be a pretty jarring experience. For me, nauseating.
Yeah. But switching between locked 30 and 27 to 30 is pretty jarring too. I sigh with relief when i make it indoors when playing the switch undocked. I wait until i can dock for exploring the world.

I wouldnt give the advantage to the switch version there, but i agree with DF that the other versions should have been capped at 30.

I find it weird the title lf the article is "Lego City Undercover on Switch holds up well against PS4"

And yet at the end they this...

"we'd take PS4 as our preferred way to play, very closely followed by Xbox One. Switch falls behind owing to less consistent performance as opposed to its visual downgrades"

apparently it holds up so well it's the third and last choice when it comes to where they want to play it. I mean i suppose visually they're not wrong, but performance wise its a far cry from "holding up well compared to the ps4"

Might pick this up though, was going to for the wii-u 4 years ago, but load times put me off.

...holds up well is a phrase which means it inherently underperforms, but not at as big an underperformance as you'd first think. I think that describes the situation quite well.

KORNdoggy

In any case, the fact that the NS is even as close as it is make the whole video interesting, in my opinion.

The game is 4 years old and was a wii-u exclusive, i'd be more surprised/confused if the more powerful switch wasn't able to compete visually. Its a console released in 2017 afterall.

...holds up well is a phrase which means it inherently underperforms, but not at as big an underperformance as you'd first think. I think that describes the situation quite well.

30 to 60 fps difference isn't big? Interesting...

EDarkness

The game is 4 years old and was a wii-u exclusive, i'd be more surprised/confused if the more powerful switch wasn't able to compete visually. Its a console released in 2017 afterall.

They didn't simply port the game over. They added things, adjusted textures, fixed lighting, etc. If they kept it the same as the Wii U version, then I personally would have been less impressed.

LordKano

30 to 60 fps difference isn't big? Interesting...

Majority of the game is in 30fps no matter the platform though.

Mario Kart 8 is native 720p on portable mode. 1080p docked.
Okay, perhaps I was thinking of unconfirmed rumors. Regardless of my error, Switch is capable of 1080p undocked (though it seems we should definitely not expect it much).

Please don't look 21st his posts for your decision, look at DF
All my information comes from Digital Foundry. Just watch the video.

The article gives an idea of what people can expect from each version. There is no need in getting into damn every detail.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. A technical analysis should definitely be all about the details. Which of those details matter will differ from person to person, and that's fine. But they should all be present, so that people can find the info they want, at whatever level of detail they want to examine.

You have to keep in mind that technical prowess, while it contributes to game quality, isn't a synonym for it. Someone upthread said that their child loves playing in co-op on Switch, even though that's where framerate is worst. That sounds like a very reasonable statement to me: you can adore a game while still acknowledging the truth of how it runs. Neither fact invalidates the other.

So is this another garbo effort with no Pro support? Between Switch and PS4 parity and XB1 being worse than them, it's pretty easy to see they put no effort in anything but the Switch version.

Hope people aren't supporting it on PS4/XB1

BigEmil

So is this another garbo effort with no Pro support? Between Switch and PS4 parity and XB1 being worse than them, it's pretty easy to see they put no effort in anything but the Switch version.

Hope people aren't supporting it on PS4/XB1
Yeah it's like Switch version was the lead development then they just simply ported that version to PS4/XB1 with no additional hassle just maybe increase a few graphical stuff here and there and that's it pure laziness. They could've​ done much more whether improve frame rates outdoors to 60fps or make bigger visual improvements if they optimised to their specific hardware but they just opted for the quick port and parity and called it a day.

Top Bottom