• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] LEGO City Undercover : PS4 vs Switch vs Xbox One

EDarkness

He also made that thread in the middle of March asking abkutngsme announcements for a system that wasent even a month old at the time...

...on the heels of a bunch of games that had been announced without any NS versions and with a bunch of games announced that we had/have no information on.

It's good to get actual analysis from DF. I heard multiple times that it was only 720p on the Switch as recently as this weekend on a Nintendo focused podcast. Seems like the Switch held it's own.

Mega

Banned
To be fair I don't think you've found fault with anything associated with the Switch that I've ever noticed. People will vary on how much frame rate bothers them, but it seems like lots of folks are finding the portable mode performance to be not great.

I started playing portable last night. It's not great in a number of places, similar to docked BOTW in towns/heavy grass areas, but it's also not unplayable. I'm hoping for an optimization patch but I can complete the game without it and not have it be a huge bother.

djlr181

Are there any loading times comparisons? especially switch vs PS4 Pro. that's what I think will decide my purchase decision

My understanding is that Lego City is not enhanced for PS4 Pro.

When loading the open world section the load is approximately 30 seconds on PS4.

It's also around 30 seconds on Switch if installed to internal NAND (not SD card).

I believe that same start load is right around 50 seconds off SD card and from a game card.

I'm still really torn on which version to get. I like the idea of having it portable, but really don't like framerate dips like the ones they're describing when switch is undocked. I also feel like going back and forth between 60 and 30 on ps4 is going to be distracting. Maybe I'll wait to see if there's a patch to improve performance on Switch when undocked. Or just wait for a price drop so I have less regret either way.

Mega

Banned
Because I care.

I was playing the Switch version, co-op, in portable mode which is the worse looking/performing version of all, with my 6yo nephew. He was having a blast and cracking up. Kids don't care about this stuff, man. Give it a chance if it's really about your daughter having fun.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dips in portable mode? That's a first. Also lol at the Switch version running a higher resolution than the Xbox One, never would have seen that coming

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Aha always cool to see you post here. What's your personal opinion on Lego City hitting 1400x1080p on Xbox One and do you think it devalues the game?
It definitely does not devalue the game but it is odd.

The XO version seems to share settings with the PS4 version so there is more happening compared to Switch. Still a strange situation.

So we have two multiplats with which to compare Switch against its older brothers now, Snake Pass and Lego City, and in both cases it seems to hold up remarkably well. There are some obvious downgrades, but it's not at all a Wii/HD Twins situation.

It never was. Every game that runs on Xbox One can run on Switch with some downgrades.

It never was. Every game that runs on Xbox One can run on Switch with some downgrades.

Yeah it's quite different from the Wii situation. The Switch hardware is actually quite a bit more modern than the PS4/XB1 in some ways too.

Anyway I'm looking forward to more comparisons as more multiplats come.

bomblord1

Banned
So without the ESRAM issues to work around we are seeing at least one Xbox One multiplat running at higher resolution on the Switch but with reduced effects.

That would be an interesting proposition and a great place for the system to be in for the future multiplats.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
God I really wish EA doesn't sabotage Fifa's version. I hope Nintendo will give them access to the highest level of support. A good handheld Fifa version would be a dream come true to me.

gtj1092

Seems like each DF thread from now on will have a diatribe from Nintendo fan telling us why graphics and I guess now frame rate don't matter.

On topic port is decent on PS4 may get it for the summer. Wish the frame rate stayed at either 30 or 60 but not a fan of having both.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It definitely does not devalue the game but it is odd.

The XO version seems to share settings with the PS4 version so there is more happening compared to Switch. Still a strange situation.

Have you seen the Switch version in handheld mode ?

I think there's something a bit wrong with the image, it's definitely 720p, but it seems there's a strange offset shifting a bit the image causing 2px height/width lines, still giving 720p while counting the pixels, but with a weird image.
Like if there was a bad processed downscale with "nearest neighbor" scaling.

So without the ESRAM issues to work around we are seeing at least one Xbox One multiplat running at higher resolution on the Switch but with reduced effects.

That would be an interesting proposition and a great place for the system to be in for the future multiplats.

Eh, tbh they just made a fidelity vs clarity choice on X1. They easily could have boasted to 1080p on X1 with some more reduced effects that would still be superior to the Switch. It's weird why they went with the lower res on X1 and not Switch but it doesn't say much imo about the X1 vs Switch.

hatchx

Banned
Kind of surprised Digital Foundry didn't look at the co-op mode or the load times.

Seems like such an obvious oversight for a technical analysis.

Mega

Banned
I'm finding more and more that this forum is way way more tech illiterate than i imagined, and i've been around here since 99. Maybe past gens were so eclectic in graphical differences that there was nothing to discuss, it was plain as day the differences, and we all lived with pros and cons of each platforms.

The graphical plateau now is so close with all platforms, that without DF, most peoples would be lost.

Do you post in the retro community threads? A contingent of us are regularly appalled at the mind-numbing nonsense that gets passed around as fact in Gaming threads. The Snake Pass thread was embarrassing.

Is the Switch version in portable mode worth playing? Can't watch the video now, but I'm concerned about FPS and load times...

Yes. I was hesitant at first to say such a thing because of some iffy slowdown at the start, but driving around GTA-style in a game that looks like this (pretty damn good), on a handheld, convinced me all the way.

It's good to get actual analysis from DF. I heard multiple times that it was only 720p on the Switch as recently as this weekend on a Nintendo focused podcast. Seems like the Switch held it's own.

For anyone doubting the res went from 720p to 1080p between Wii U and Switch:

Wii U (left), Switch (right)
Ju9tEqy.png
69o4xEs.png

F34R

I'm 100% ok with buying it on the Switch (physical cart). Looks good, and has been playing really well. Like I said in the OT thread, the portable aspect on the Switch, coupled with how decent a port it is, makes the purchase perfect for me.

Do you post in the retro community threads? A contingent of us are regularly appalled at the mind-numbing nonsense that gets passed around as fact in Gaming threads. The Snake Pass thread was embarrassing.

Yes. I was hesitant at first to say such a thing because of some iffy slowdown at the start, but driving around GTA-style in a game that looks like this (pretty damn good), on a handheld, convinced me all the way.

For anyone doubting the res went from 720p to 1080p between Wii U and Switch:

Wii U (left), Switch (right)

Yea, it's pretty obvious but there are still those that are making those statements, even on Nintendo focused podcasts. I believe it was Radio Free Nintendo. I actually stopped listening to that episode at that point as I couldn't listen to false information any longer.

Kremzeek

Kind of surprised Digital Foundry didn't look at the co-op mode or the load times.

Seems like such an obvious oversight for a technical analysis.

yeah i'm really really curious about overall load time improvements from Wii U, as the load times were the worst part of the game by far.

i don't care about initial boot-up load - i just care about while playing the game.

Is there a time of day system because I prefer the blue tone of the Wii U version, switch holds up really well compared to ps4 it's quite amazing.

You serious? I would understand if you were buying for you but your daughter doesn't give a shit about DF tech and resolution. The game has good performance, what is the issue?

But you wouldn't, without digital foundry telling you.

This is a big problem with gamers around here, you act like it matters a lot when you wouldn't know without DF counting millions of pixels.
All these silly graphic wars with all the drama that comes with it that DF is creating with each analysis, is all meaningless, because 99% of peoples can't fucking tell. We just have to look at placebo effect where peoples think there was a downgrade to improve performances (cough botw cough) and then realize that no, they simply cant distinguish shit even if their life depended on it.

You won't be buying it for your daughter because of a few technicals points she wouldn't notice in a million years?

That's absolutely insane.

People now making decisions on what games to get their kids based on a DF vid. Amazing.

Sorry to disappoint you but a game built for the Wii U that the developers couldn't spend that extra time to prioritise. Sorry but I'm not giving money to a developer that doesn't want to put the work in. Nothing insane about that.

I was playing the Switch version, co-op, in portable mode which is the worse looking/performing version of all, with my 6yo nephew. He was having a blast and cracking up. Kids don't care about this stuff, man. Give it a chance if it's really about your daughter having fun.

It is about my daughter but you want me to go spend money on a product the developers couldn't bother spending time on to make it run better? I mean this is a Wii U game, you act like this was a PC game being ported.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Have you seen the Switch version in handheld mode ?

I think there's something a bit wrong with the image, it's definitely 720p, but it seems there's a strange offset shifting a bit the image causing 2px height/width lines, still giving 720p while counting the pixels, but with a weird image.
Like if there was a bad processed downscale with "nearest neighbor" scaling.
Nope. I haven't actually played the game on any platform, to be honest. That sounds curious, though.

SomTervo

A full 50 quid??? The only place its that much is the eshop, you could get it last week from smyths for 35 quid with a free mini lego plane

I'm trying to go all digital on Switch because i don't want to be carrying around too much and it's the only console i really can't face swapping things in and out of all the time :/

Sorry to disappoint you but a game built for the Wii U that the developers couldn't spend that extra time to prioritise. Sorry but I'm not giving money to a developer that doesn't want to put the work in. Nothing insane about that.

So this is about you and not your daughter because I watched 15 mins of footage and the X1 version has good performance, significantly improved graphics and a higher resolution than the WiiU version along with co-op. That resoution choice is weird as fuck but a kid doesn't give a shit about resolution. They wanna play the game and this analysis says it's a very good remaster. Yes, you are being insane. On top of this shit not even being for you, you also are being arsed over a small resolution change.

It is about my daughter but you want me to go spend money on a product the developers couldn't bother spending time on to make it run better? I mean this is a Wii U game, you act like this was a PC game being ported.

What the hell? It runs extremely well. Did you watch that video?

tengiants

Are there any loading times comparisons? especially switch vs PS4 Pro. that's what I think will decide my purchase decision

I did just time it on Wii U(disc) vs Switch(game card). From the autosave warning when you load a game to the police station:

Wii U: 1m14s71ms
Switch Portable: 56s07ms
Switch Docked: 53s34ms

Personally I think sleep/rest modes on ps4 and switch (probably xbone too, I don't have one so I can't comment on the features) makes a lot of the load time complaints with the original invalid anyways.

I'm trying to go all digital on Switch because i don't want to be carrying around too much and it's the only console i really can't face swapping things in and out of all the time :/

Sorry but going all digital in our glorious brexitland is just nuts, i feel truely sorry for your wallet mate

So this is about you and not your daughter because I watched 15 mins of footage and the X1 version has good performance, significantly improved graphics and a higher resolution than the WiiU version along with co-op. That resoution choice is weird as fuck but a kid doesn't give a shit about resolution. They wanna play the game and this analysis says it's a very good remaster. Yes, you are being insane. On top of this shit not even being for you, you also are being arsed over a small resolution change.

What the hell? It runs extremely well. Did you watch that video?

Why are you so salty with what I do with my money? It is about my daughter but at the same time I'm not going to waste my money on a product the developers can't give the time to optimise properly. My kid may not give a fuck but I do because I have to sit there and play it with her.

EvB

Why are you so salty with what I do with my money? It is about my daughter but at the same time I'm not going to waste my money on a product the developers can't give the time to optimise properly. My kid may not give a fuck but I do because I have to sit there and play it with her.

What' a fun parent you must be

LordKano

Now that I think about it, they really optimized the Switch version to hell since I just remembered that it's only 8GB against 25GB for the PS4/One version, with little visual differences.

As kids we all played and loved games that I'm sure our adult selves now would have thought were a bit poo, you really shouldnt push your own jaded adult standards on to her

I don't care lol. But it's pretty lame that your kid wants a game and you go, "naw this is about what I want" lol. Kids don't give a shit about 1900x1080 vs 1400x1080, the fact this is literally why you aren't getting it for your kid is just, man, perspective.

What' a fun parent you must be

You judge what kind of parent I am because I don't want to buy a game for my child that I don't deem worthy enough to spend my hard earn cash on? LOL how pathetic you must be. And for your information my child and I don't need video games to have fun. We have plenty of fun without it.

As kids we all played and loved games that I'm sure our adult selves now would have thought were a bit poo, you really shouldnt push your own jaded adult standards on to her

LOL ok dude, whatever you say.

I don't care lol. But it's pretty lame that your kid wants a game and you go, "naw this is about what I want" lol. Kids don't give a shit about 1900x1080 vs 1400x1080, the fact this is literally why you aren't getting it for your kid is just, man, perspective.

Obviously you do because you the one who started swearing and getting upset about it. And no this is about me teaching my child not to waste her money on crap. Plain and simple. You don't like it just deal with it.

BigEmil

This is the right thing to do, not reward incompetent devs your hard earned cash, don't know why people are so against it

Eh, tbh they just made a fidelity vs clarity choice on X1. They easily could have boasted to 1080p on X1 with some more reduced effects that would still be superior to the Switch. It's weird why they went with the lower res on X1 and not Switch but it doesn't say much imo about the X1 vs Switch.

It says that the people saying Switch when docked was much closer to Xbox One than Wii U weren't crazy.

HoodWinked

honestly i think because this game was a wii-u exclusive and there's a finite amount of development resources for all three versions that they prioritized optimizations on the switch.

and given the situation it probably was the best choice since with the limited switch library every release is scrutinized much more.

Mega

Banned
Is there a time of day system because I prefer the blue tone of the Wii U version, switch holds up really well compared to ps4 it's quite amazing.

No, and the Wii U version is actually a murky greenish hue. Having run both consecutively, the new versions look better with pleasant warm tones.

Were you contemplating the XB1 version? Because I wouldn't call the Switch version a crap port considering the decent performance and all the improvements over the Wii U version. You can do whatever you want with your time and money, but I still don't think any version can be deemed terrible just because it's not a full 1920x1080p. The game is an enhanced port with noticeable improvements on all platforms over the Wii U original. It's a decent port, not terrible.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My daughter wanted this, but I won't be buying this shoddy port job. Look like I'll be skipping it.

Obviously you are choosing to read what you want to believe.
It's an open world game running on an underclocked smart phone processor. It might be time to dial in your expectations.

edit: If you're talking about the X1 version then yeah, they could do better.

It's most definitely not perfect. Visit the OT for one minute. You'll see loads of people complaining heavily about the frame rate. Several people have called it unplayable.

The fact that it's a full £50 on Switch is a bit of a joke imo. Think imma get it on PC where is 1/4 the price.
Yeah, the pricing is rough considering it's just the same game but kinda better looking

I'd wait for a discount but I want the Switch version and that's probably going to be a long, long wait

Yeah, the pricing is rough considering it's just the same game but kinda better looking

I'd wait for a discount but I want the Switch version and that's probably going to be a long, long wait

Lego games on the wii u (apart from this one obviously) got regular discounts on the eshop, cant see this one not doing

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Have the other Lego games been 60fps on the PS4 recently? I own most of them on pc so I don't remember

No, but some of them have run at an odd higher-than-1080p resolution. (1920x1280)

Top Bottom