• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch vs. 3DS/Wii U Comparison

Plum

Video
Article

Summary:
- No graphical improvements outside of higher resolution and slightly improved texture filtering
- The 59 FPS bug from the Wii U version is completely fixed
- Splitscreen works exactly as it does on Wii but at 1080p instead
- Improved loading times all around
- "Incredible" graphical leap from Mario Kart 7
- Solid 60fps in portable mode

Digital Foundry said:
The overlap in tracks between Switch and 3DS is limited, but what's there makes you realise just how far Nintendo has come in the handheld space. As a showcase of the core visual design possible on Switch, the step up from 3DS is outstanding and the future potential here is undeniable, bearing in mind the quality of software we've seen so far on Switch. Hopefully we'll see a bespoke title built for the new hardware further on down the line, but for the time being, this enhanced edition of MK8 is indeed the ultimate Mario Kart package.

Seik

Banned
No anti-aliasing again...

I don't know what it is with Nintendo's desire to ruin their great art with shit image quality.

At 1080p the lack of AA isn't that much of an offense compared to it's 720p version, the game will be noticeably sharper. The Wii U version needed some AA so badly.

Nintendo seems to hate AA, probably because it eats ressources I guess.

Plum

I don't know what it is with Nintendo's desire to ruin their great art with shit image quality.

Some anti-aliasing methods ruin the IQ for me personally.

You have to ask what AA they could have used whilst still keeping the 1080/60 target. FXAA seems like the only option and that's usually worse in comparison to just having none at all.

Why the fuck do they compare the 3DS MK7?

They explain why they compared it with the 3DS in the video. The Switch is still a portable so why not compare it to the portable version? They have direct comparison material in the classic tracks, after all.

At 1080p the lack of AA isn't that much of an offense compared to it's 720p version, the game will be noticeably sharper. The Wii U version needed some AA so badly.

Nintendo seems to hate AA, probably because it eats ressources I guess.

I imagine that, and that fact it does slightly increase the work of trying to optimise the game. No anti-aliasing, no work necessary.

shiyrley

Banned
This might blow your mind but since the Switch is an hybrid and a successor to both the Wii U an 3DS, both Wii U and 3DS comparisons make sense

Is it that strange? This is Mario Kart 8, the direct successor to Mario Kart 7. They compare the same courses. And as said, this is on a handheld. Plenty of people only played the 3DS game.

Yeah, it's strange.

It's not even the same game. I don't see the need of this.

FX-GMC

Digital Foundry: Red Dead Revolver vs Red Dead Revolver 2.

Ah good ole Red Dead Revolver 2. One of my favorite games. lol

Yeah, it's strange.

Here's what handheld Mario Kart looked like last year and here's how handheld Mario Kart looks this year. I don't get why that's so hard to understand. I mean sure its obvious but it was neat to see just how different the tracks were side by side. Of course I never watched any Mario Kart 8 Wii U videos so its all new to me.

Why?

To showcase the leap in graphical quality between two generations of portable hardware on the tracks that appeared in both games.

And just in general, how much power devs now have to play with for portable gaming, versus a year ago.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Switch version no Voice chat. Wiiu version voice chat.

Also why is nintendo do adamant about no last person standing battle? That was best way to play mk64

I still have not taken my Switch dock out of the box, and use the Switch solely as a handheld, so the 3DS comparison is not weird to me. It might not be totally necessary, but it certainly is now a "... but why?" moment.

bomblord1

Banned
jpg
jpg

When you think about the handheld leap it is quite insane

wrowa

Yeah, it's strange.

They are comparing the graphical leap between Nintendo's past portable hardware and its new one. No idea what's hard to understand about that.

The idea isn't to investigate whether MK8 looks better than MK7, but to show how much Nintendo's portable hardware has evolved since MK7's release. It's not necessary to show this, but it's hardly bad either.

Irminsul

The idea isn't to investigate whether MK8 looks better than MK7, but to show how much Nintendo's portable hardware has evolved since MK7's release. It's not necessary to show this, but it's hardly bad either.
Also, I thought it was quite nice to see the more subtle reworkings on the tracks, e.g., that Kong hut in the example above.

orioto

Good Art™
They compare the 3ds and switch tracks so 2017 people, who are incredibly snobbish with tech, realize Switch is the portable that follows the 3ds and the gap is insane.

Jeffrey

If we are comparing portable versions, they should do a battery run down as well haha.

Seriously though, how is the switch battery life for not zelda? Haven't seen any data on those.

TS-08

They are comparing the graphical leap between Nintendo's past portable hardware and its new one. No idea what's hard to understand about that.

People are still hung up on the hybrid nature I guess. If the Switch was called the 4DS and was portable only, no one would be questioning the comparison.

Pinky

Banned
Thank God that one FPS glitch that I never noticed or effected gameplay on Wii U is gone.

Haha, yep. Maybe my eyes just aren't wired to catch such things. I never noticed this frame issue in the Wii U version and I actively looked for it.

This looks awesome! I had sooo much fun with Mario Kart Wii online, I really hope the multiplayer community thrives on the Switch.

I'm a little worried about the subscription fees impacting it though but if the point of entry is low there's probably nothing to worry about.

Top Bottom