• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch vs. 3DS/Wii U Comparison

Tansut

Guys how does this look compared to Mario Kart DS??

The MK7 comparison is silly because it's also so obvious. It's like comparing the sun and the moon and going "the sun provides better lighting in literally every location on the map."

The MK7 comparison is silly because it's also so obvious. It's like comparing the sun and the moon and going "the sun provides better lighting in literally every location on the map."

Personally, I think I'm going to start complaining about any benchmarks anybody does anywhere unless the results are counter intuitive. Like an FPS graph showing that a Titan Xp has a higher FPS count than a 1070 which has a higher FPS count than a 960? Thanks for the information assholes! Couldn't have figured out which card was better without your helpful benchmarks!

shiyrley

Banned

gyBqt9e.jpg

MTC100

Banned

There is actually a MK DS to MK7 video comparison:

I think, funny enough, the gap between both seems smaller than the one between MK7 and MK8D.

Lmao no they don't. Zelda and Horizon look an entire generation apart. And Horizon runs better too.

I disagree. They're going for entirely different looks. I prefer Zelda's stylised visuals, sorry.

A good art style doesn't make hardware suddenly way better.

Where did I say anything about the hardware? I said BotW and MK8 Deluxe when docked on Switch look as good as any game on PS4 and XB1 and I stand by that 100%. If you don't agree or think I'm taking drugs because I don't agree with your opinion then I'm very sorry.

killroy87

Personally, I think I'm going to start complaining about any benchmarks anybody does anywhere unless the results are counter intuitive. Like an FPS graph showing that a Titan Xp has a higher FPS count than a 1070 which has a higher FPS count than a 960? Thanks for the information assholes! Couldn't have figured out which card was better without your helpful benchmarks!
I mean, you wouldn't be wrong

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
There is actually a MK DS to MK7 video comparison:

I think, funny enough, the gap between both seems smaller than the one between MK7 and MK8D.

To be fair, going by this particular example, MK7 only touches up the existing DS tracks. Nothing is reworked or added as far as track layout and visual elements. It's just higher res, with a higher poly count and texture filtering. They're remasters, if you will.

MK8 on the other hand completely remakes all the old tracks. Nintendo put much more effort into the retro tracks in MK8 than in any other title. Even MK Wii didn't alter the look of the retro DS tracks that much. It essentially made them wider (for gameplay purposes) and turned 2D elements into 3D elements, with a bit of lighting thrown in the mix.

I want Waluigi Pinball in 8. :(

Throwback to not even being able to play Pinball online on DS because too many moving pinballs too hard for poor DS wifi.

It feels like at least two handheld generations apart... (might be because the 3DS wasn't as powerful as it could have been in the first place)

It's incredible and I don't know why people are getting their knickers in a twist over DF comparing the last Mario Kart to the latest instalment, both of which ran on Nintendo handheld systems (one of which can be docked to a HDTV).

It looks far more than two generations apart. 3DS to Switch has got to be the largest leap in generations ever. Isn't Switch like 50x a 3DS when in handheld mode?

c0de

MK8 would still trounce it because of newer, more detailed high resolution assets used in MK8 compared to MK7.
[/IMG]

Of course it would and it is to be expected but it makes the work done to MK8 to become clearer as the low resolution "hides" the work that went into MK7.

Unai

It's incredible and I don't know why people are getting their knickers in a twist over DF comparing the last Mario Kart to the latest instalment, both of which ran on Nintendo handheld systems (one of which can be docked to a HDTV).

It looks far more than two generations apart. 3DS to Switch has got to be the largest leap in generations ever. Isn't Switch like 50x a 3DS when in handheld mode?

Looking at it that way only makes me wish a new (not remastered) Monster Hunter right away.

Kinsei

Banned

Throwback to not even being able to play Pinball online on DS because too many moving pinballs too hard for poor DS wifi.

It would be great. The pinball board could be a zero gravity section so you could bump into other racers.

Wasn't that voteable in the hacked version? I think I came across every track in the game by playing against hackers.

Seeing as the music is already in they might as well add Pinball as dlc.

Top Bottom