• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch vs. 3DS/Wii U Comparison

In this day and age, yes. That's exactly what it means. It must be hell working there as an artist. Being limited by everything. And in the end seeing your art ruined by jaggies, shit textures and everything else.
It's a shame. These artists and these games deserve better hardware.

Just my opinion of course. Ansd based on it being a home console. It's an awesome Handheld (aside from battery life)

You are slightly hyperbolic.

VanWinkle

I'm definitely in the "Comparing to Mario Kart 7 seems weird" crowd.

It's basically like comparing the PSP to the Vita. Of course it's going to look better, it's a whole generational upgrade.

That's what makes it interesting to see. I love seeing a generation to generation comparison from the same game series. And, in this series' case, the leap is especially astronomical. Feels more like two generations, honestly.

You dont know what objective means?

He could be speaking from a tech sense.

ss_lemonade

Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart when docked on Switch look as good as any game on XB1 or PS4. Wii / PS360 you had a case. Not so much now.
Breath of the Wild is a great game, but it (imo) would not really look out of place if it were released during the 360/ps3 era. You say any game, but it's not even close if you compare it visually to something like Horizon.

BigEmil

Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart when docked on Switch look as good as any game on XB1 or PS4. Wii / PS360 you had a case. Not so much now.
Having played about 50 hours in i disagree, while it has a fantastic artstyle and they did very well to cover up technical limitations its still doesn't look as good as games from those, barring the resolution and fps it runs at 900p 30fps but also the very low LOD which is also very evident when the long grass parts come only a small circle around you has detailed leaves then the rest is really flat just cover it up with jaggies ends of it far off, no AA, every baeic and simple gemotries everywhere from characters to buildings and thag, really barren and plain lands which is also due to hardware limitations which it can't cope with lots of enemies in more, texture quality is below etcetc

VanWinkle

Breath of the Wild is a great game, but it (imo) would not really look out of place if it were released during the 360/ps3 era. You say any game, but it's not even close if you compare it visually to something like Horizon.

Keep in mind it was made for Wii U, which was roughly equivalent to 360/PS3. Which, of course, makes his statement even more silly.

That being said, it does look better than the majority of 360/PS3 games. Especially the grass/lighting/weather.

K' Dash

Keep in mind it was made for Wii U, which was roughly equivalent to 360/PS3. Which, of course, makes his statement even more silly.

That being said, it does look better than the majority of PS4/One games. Especially the grass/lighting/weather.

Fixed.

I have a nice capable PC and I'm shocked by how nice Mario Kart looks, same for Zelda (specially on CEMU), fanboyism blinding people is the absolute worst.

BigEmil

Fixed.

I have a nice capable PC and I'm shocked by how nice Mario Kart looks, same for Zelda (specially on CEMU), fanboyism blinding people is the absolute worst.
Technically absolutely not it's behind on all the three aspects, it shines on artstyle only, the one who has the blind fanboy mindset is you

VanWinkle

Fixed.

Fanboyism? I adore MK8, think BOTW is awesome too, and I've spent at a good 20-30 hours on each, so uh...

Man i love botw and it has a great art style, mk 8 looks great as well, but lets be serious here, the switch cannot run something like unity, the order, ryse, uc4, or battlefront.

Jesus fucking christ.

I've seen some dumb stuff said here, but this is top five material.

I played BOTW on a 4k TV and even with whatever upscaling, I thought it looked great for what it is.

Let's not go crazy.

Jesus Christ calm down.

I said that I thought they looked up there with anything on those consoles and I stand by that. No where did I say it was hard fact or that technically they were up there with games on the other consoles.

I do agree with Mario Kart 8 tho game looks like a pixar masterpiece imo. BotW is just timeless art design just like Wind Waker.

I completely agree with this. MK8 on Wii U looked like I was playing a Pixar movie, and I can't wait to see that in 1080p Friday. BotW doesn't look quite as good to me due to some of the textures though it's still gorgeous.

But yeah I would argue that MK8 Deluxe looks more aesthetically pleasing to me personally than a good amount of PS4 and XB1 games. Jaggies are barely noticeable on a 1080p screen at 60fps. Obviously the Switch does not have the same horsepower as the PS4 and XB1 but visuals do not rely solely on horsepower.

I think I get what your trying to say. The average person might not notice a lot of the differences. x1 and p4 still have a good difference in looks. The problem I'm having now is while switch offers me something I didn't even know I wanted I can't justify buying a new ms or sony systems anymore. Switch gives me the handheld I always wanted and I'm better off at this point going pc over a stand alone home systems.

lantus

I do agree with Mario Kart 8 tho game looks like a pixar masterpiece imo. BotW is just timeless art design just like Wind Waker.
Mmmm I think people are getting carried away when talking about how good switch games look. I think both Mario kart and Zelda look great, don't get me wrong, but Pixar level? Really? It's not even close to be honest. The best representation of that I believe would be ratchet and clank on PS4 and even then it's not quite there.

VeeP

I'm definitely in the "Comparing to Mario Kart 7 seems weird" crowd.

It's basically like comparing the PSP to the Vita. Of course it's going to look better, it's a whole generational upgrade.

Switch is probably the next handheld from Nintendo, and what I mean by that is it's 3DS's successor like how GBAs successor was the DS.

In that respect, it's nice to see how handheld quality on Switch compares to the 3DS.

And also, there's people like me, who never bought a Wii U, and instead had a 3DS and plan on buying a Switch. I loved Mario Kart 7, and played it A LOT. So seeing a comparison with Mario Kart 8 was really cool.

roytheone

As someone that mainly uses the switch as a handheld, the jump in quality is truly enormous. Extremely impressed with my switch in handheld mode.

conpfreak

I don't understand what so controversial about saying Mario Kart 8 looks better that many Xbox One/PS4 games. It actually does and this was said when the game launched on the Wii U as well. Doesn't mean the Switch is as capable as those platforms, but some of same issues people complain about visually for Breath of the Wild is present in many PS4/Xbox One games. Just because a game has better textures, models, and AA doesn't mean it automatically is a superior looking game.

Final Fantasy XV has performance issues and some ugly textures here and there. Pretty game that can look and run terribly in spots. Compared to BotW with the latest patch with it's solid framerate, I prefer BotW visually even though it's technically not on the same level as FFXV. The visual fidelity is close enough between platforms now for it to be reasonable to make subjective observations.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Lmao no they don't. Zelda and Horizon look an entire generation apart. And Horizon runs better too.

actually after the newest Zelda patch, they should run about the same now (HZD on a non-Pro at least). And as a few others said.. no way would I put a generation between the two. Zelda is EASILY on par with what could have been an early game this gen.

actually after the newest Zelda patch, they should run about the same now (HZD on a non-Pro at least). And as a few others said.. no way would I put a generation between the two. Zelda is EASILY on par with what could have been an early game this gen.

Zelda actually probably has more going on under the hood than most PS4/XB1 games, which is likely another thing that limits its visual quality.

That's why I find Mario Kart 8 far more visually pleasing, since it's a lot easier to make eye candy in a racing game than a systems and physics driven open world game. But either way, these games are certainly comparable to PS4/XB1 games. Not all of them but many.

Mmmm I think people are getting carried away when talking about how good switch games look. I think both Mario kart and Zelda look great, don't get me wrong, but Pixar level? Really? It's not even close to be honest. The best representation of that I believe would be ratchet and clank on PS4 and even then it's not quite there.

Completely agree. All i was thinking about was Sunset Overdrive. No chance in hell that game could run on a switch without reduced visuals, and even it is nowhere close to "pixar level" in reality. Rachet and Clanks another great if not more apt example from the same devs.

Mega

Banned

Switch games are not at the graphical level of quality to be described as looking like a Pixar masterpiece... they're not even close to the Pixar movies that are now near or more than 10 years old (Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wall-E).

groansey

Whats the point of this generation talk anyway?

I think it's because people were saying the Switch is the first console to deliver "home console" games on a handheld and they argued Vita didn't do this because the games were PS2-PS3 level graphically ie. a generation behind. People are just pointing out the Switch is also a generatiom behind so the situation isn't so different.

What is different is it's going to be getting full Nintendo first party support, and I agree Mario Kart 8 looks as good as any PS4/XBO game. So the Switch has the potential to take what Vita did to the next level. I'd just like to see Nintendo fully commit because currently there are still so many unknowns with the machine.

Sami+

It's comparable with the cross-gen stuff, sure. MGSV still looks (and runs) better imo but yeah compared to stuff like Mordor and Black Flag it holds its own. I think saying it looks just as good as stuff like Horizon, Witcher, or FFXV is silly because it doesn't. A good art style doesn't make hardware suddenly way better.

I like the game for the record. Played ten hours before dropping it for NieR and Persona, it's definitely pretty good.

Mario Kart looks aight and I'll buy it because I know it'll be fun. I liked it on Wii U.

Whats the point of this generation talk anyway?

It's relevant to the conversation?

orioto

Good Art™
I don't get that debate about how Switch game can be compared to PS4/XBO stuff or not.. i really don't..

It's not like we don't know precisely what's inside the box guys.. We know. It's math.. Switch game will look super good, Botw or MK8 are impressive and wonderful looking, and they run on something wayyy less powerful than a PS4. What's this endless debate about them looking better or not..

I find FFVI more pleasing to my eyes than FFXV you know.

gogojira

Subjectively you could like Breath of the Wild's art style better than Horizon, objectively Horizon does things the Switch could never come close to doing. I love the Switch as much as anyone, but don't be ridiculous about this.

Subjectively you could like Breath of the Wild's art style better than Horizon, objectively Horizon does things the Switch could never come close to doing. I love the Switch as much as anyone, but don't be ridiculous about this.
Well I don't think (hope) anyone is arguing otherwise. They just mean the gap in visual fidelity isn't as big as it was with the Wii and PS3/360, which is definitely true. In this day and age, I think most games look pretty good, even on weaker hardware

I think it's because people were saying the Switch is the first console to deliver "home console" games on a handheld and they argued Vita didn't do this because the games were PS2-PS3 level graphically ie. a generation behind. People are just pointing out the Switch is also a generatiom behind so the situation isn't so different.

I mean, the real reason Vita doesn't do this is that the flagship home console Sony puts out is graphically far beyond Vita, with games that can't run on Vita.

Switch is Nintendo's flagship home console. So all the games on Switch are Nintendo's home console games. All the games Nintendo puts out for their home console are games that run on Switch.

gogojira

Well I don't think (hope) anyone is arguing otherwise. They just mean the gap in visual fidelity isn't as big as it was with the Wii and PS3/360, which is definitely true. In this day and age, I think most games look pretty good, even on weaker hardware

And it was a two day old post I'm responding to. I'm going to write that one off as a bad post on my part. :p

Ninja Dom

🇬🇧GAF, what establishments are selling the digital downloads??

I've only seen Amazon. Official Nintendo store, Game and CD Keys aren't listing the download version.

fallingdove

What is different is it's going to be getting full Nintendo first party support, and I agree Mario Kart 8 looks as good as any PS4/XBO game.

This is where we start to get into silly territory. If you like the art style of Mario Kart 8 as well as you do other PS4/XBO games - as in, how the characters are designed, how the backgrounds look, how the UI looks - fine. But if you compare a game like Ratchet and Clank (PS4) to Mario Kart 8, the latter pales in comparison. Its not even close. Especially if you take advantage of HDR functionality.

Firebrand

🇬🇧GAF, what establishments are selling the digital downloads??

I've only seen Amazon. Official Nintendo store, Game and CD Keys aren't listing the download version.

Are download keys regionfree? Can they registered on an account of any region?

MTC100

Banned
The Switch vs 3DS comparisons are a lot of fun, and pertinent given Switch's role as a handheld. I remember playing Mario Kart 7 back in 2011 and being blown away at the time - in its defence, the 3DS side looks much better pixel-matched to the 240p display.

If there's interest, here's a few shots that didn't quite make the edit.

Thanks for all the work guys, the video was great, hope to see more like that, also that first screenshot comparison, lol...
ZgIpBno.jpg

It feels like at least two handheld generations apart... (might be because the 3DS wasn't as powerful as it could have been in the first place)

Yep.

Zelda and Mario Kart both look incredible, but it's more due to fantastic art direction and careful consideration on maximising the image quality with the hardware.

Both doesn't look as good as most XB1 and PS4 games in terms of IQ and it will continue being that way.

MTC100

Banned
More like PS Vita defense force in decline Switch is destroying their beloved handheld.

RIP my Vita.

I already sold mine for 100 bucks, couldn't stand its sad face anymore, also the dust it collected made me cough. Haven't played anything on it after finishing P4G some while ago -also because I could play Zero Time Dilemma on my PC.

Does Citra run mk7 already? Would be cool to see it compared rendered in 1080p to mk8.

MK8 would still trounce it because of newer, more detailed high resolution assets used in MK8 compared to MK7.

image.php

Do we really need a comparison to show us that new hardware is stronger than old hardware?

tenor.gif

Top Bottom