• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch vs. 3DS/Wii U Comparison

Sometimes DF likes to look back at previous versions of a game or a series to see how far we've come. They just did it with Kingdom Hearts by comparing the PS2 game to the 4k Pro one. Now they're doing it with Mario Kart to see how handheld gaming evolves over time...

...This is like getting mad about them including PS2 footage of KH in the 1.5+2.5 video...

It's definitely standard practice for them. They do the same for pretty much every other racing series out there that shares tracks between versions, they've also compared tracks that are shared between different franchises altogether.

EDIT: Forza 6 vs. 5 Comparison for one example.

They did a comparison between the "Village" map in Uncharted 4's multiplayer when it was brought back from UC2's.

Yeah, I really appreciate their thoroughness and attention to detail in this regard, as I've mentioned elsewhere (one / two):
Schopenhauerian said:
Additional NoteJohn/dark10x of Digital Foundry notes [in a video titled 'Final Fantasy 7 PS4 Remake/PS1/PS3/PSP Graphics Comparison'] that some of the available footage from [FF7] Remake is a bit closer to the original (in terms of color) than the PS3 tech demo was. Starting at 1:03“...The [PS3] tech demo footage is less colorful overall than the original scene, which you can feel as the camera zooms down to the train station here. As we transition over to PS4 footage, note the increase in color saturation that’s more in line with the original [PS1] game. Placing the two versions back to back you can really see what the team is trying to do here...”

klier

The hell?

So no, i'm not upset because of that stupid reason. I just don't understand the need of comparing a game from a previois entry in the series and from a obviously less powered device.

"Just don't understand"? Do you have a problem reading or something? It's been explained several times why it makes perfect sense to compare the two.

Replace it with "I don't agree because of xxx reason" next time, ok?

shiyrley

Banned
It's my personal opinion that this specific comparison is strange. Like, I made a minor comment. This isn't a statement of fact either way, chill out.

The fuck?

I'm a Nintendo fanboy who got the Switch at midnight, who is getting Mario Kart 8 tomorrow at Target, despite my $20 Best Buy credit, just to get a toy cube as a bonus.

But sure, I want the Switch to look bad because I said that comparing a game on Switch to 3DS is a little strange in an offhand comment. You're definitely right and not jumping to insane defensive conclusions.
The world doesn't revolve around you. It's a general response to what is going on in this thread.

Please refer to my avatar for further advice.

It's my personal opinion that this specific comparison is strange. Like, I made a minor comment. This isn't a statement of fact either way, chill out.

The fuck?

I'm a Nintendo fanboy who got the Switch at midnight, who is getting Mario Kart 8 tomorrow at Target, despite my $20 Best Buy credit, just to get a toy cube as a bonus.

But sure, I want the Switch to look bad because I said that comparing a game on Switch to 3DS is a little strange in an offhand comment. You're definitely right and not jumping to insane defensive conclusions.
Wait it comes out tomorrow??!?

Plum

I'd just like a good reason why it's strange whilst those two other comparisons (and the few I couldn't be bothered to find) are not? I'm not implying that you're wanting to make the Switch look bad, but I'm just wanting to know why, all of a sudden, DF doing their job is considered something that needs to be discussed.

Uh what's all the snark toward ZeoVGM coming from? The guy had a reasonable opinion and even expressed confusion at other, more hyperbolic responses. Not sure why you guys are so focused on what he said.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The world doesn't revolve around you. It's a general response to what is going on in this thread

Please refer to my avatar for further advice.

I'm very chill. You replied to someone who replied to me dude. You are being way too aggressive here.

Jeez.

shiyrley

Banned
I'm very chill. You replied to someone who replied to me dude. You are being way too aggressive here.

Jeez.
But I was replying to him, to what he was saying, not to you or your post specifically. My reasoning is that people are attacking DF here because of doing something that was fine in the past. I do think I'm being pretty chill too. Expressing a viewpoint doesn't mean I can't be chill about it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
But I was replying to him, to what he was saying, not to you or your post specifically. My reasoning is that people are attacking DF here because of doing something that was fine in the past. I do think I'm being pretty chill too. Expressing a viewpoint doesn't mean I can't be chill about it.

Yes, I already implied that it was weird to attack DF. It's also weird to think that anyone who remotely questions why they did the comparison wants Switch to look bad.

I was not out of place for believing you grouped me in with that idea considering I was in the conversation chain you replied to -- especially since you then replied aggressively to that as well with the "world doesn't revolve around you" comment.

But I won't be going back and forth on this anymore. It's a silly argument.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes, I already implied that it was weird to attack DF. It's also weird to think that anyone who remotely questions why they did the comparison wants Switch to look bad.

I was not out of place for believing you grouped me in with that idea considering I was in the conversation chain you replied to -- especially since you then replied aggressively to that as well with the "world doesn't revolve around you" comment.

But I won't be going back and forth on this anymore. It's a silly argument.

There's a difference between asking a question, and making an outlandish reaction post to add nothing to the thread. Most of the people "remotely questioning" the comparison were not asking why it was done in a civil way at all.

And it's really not a hard concept to grasp, MK7 to MK8D is a fairly unique situation in the sense this is a direct sequel on a handheld to the previous entry on the former handheld, not some game that has been forgotten for like 15 years and resurrected (which is basically what it looks like happened). From a technical perspective, which is what DF is sorta all about, it's a very gigantic leap for a sequel to take, without going from like handheld to console (Vita to PS4) or something.

flozuki

The fuck?

Release is next week.

Everyone complaining about no AA, but to me the big deal is why is Nintendo using bilinear texture filtering still? 16X Anisotropic is almost free on modern hardware, and even if they can't use that then 2 or 4x would be a huge improvement over what they have. Heck, even trilinear would be an improvement, and that's outdated too.

This. They are far behind the curve in many ways, and unnecessarily so.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah, the texture filtering is worse than the AA now that it's at 1080p.

It's not hard for AF. Was it just able to pull 1080p? Or did Nintendo screw up...

TLZ

Banned
Then you don't actually understand what the problem was then.

It's not that it was running at 59fps, rather, that there was a constant, inherent stutter present during gameplay at all times. Once you see it, the problem is impossible to ignore. It was super annoying.
I'm glad after the tons of hours sinked in I never noticed it once.

I'll never understand why people get so upset by some of digital foundry's comparisons.

Like, seriously, they always explain them and their reasoning for them well. Absolutely baffling.

Yeah, the texture filtering is worse than the AA now that it's at 1080p.

It's not hard for AF. Was it just able to pull 1080p? Or did Nintendo screw up...
It's improved substantially over the Wii U version at least, even if it isn't what it could have been.

Personally I found the MK7 comparison interesting. Is it the 28th yet?

TLZ

Banned
So many immature and bait posts in this thread from both sides it's unbelievable and almost impossible to have a decent conversation.

I think people often forget the Switch is portable, I rarely play it docked quite honestly.

I agree (that it's a portable).

Lmao the 3DS to Switch comparison is just savage. (Having it in 3D at 60fps was sweet though.)

Regardless, I'm so freaking pumped for this to finally get released.
I still need to pick up MK7 one day, I've heard it was kind of the groundwork for a lot of the cool stuff in MK8 which I adored back on Wii U - got it in my bundle!

Can't wait to pick this up next week.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the video says everything is the same other than the output resolution, but in the video around 1:45, where they're spinning around Mario in his kart on the start line, it looks like the switch version might have more polygons in the model? At least the tailpipes look noticably rounder on switch than on the WiiU?

This video is a much better showcase for the negligible frame rate disparity between the two versions than the previous video posted here a few days back, which showed the Wii U version as a choppy mess that is not the case at all, which probably was the result of a video capture snafu.

Zedark

This video is a much better showcase for the negligible frame rate disparity between the two versions than the previous video posted here a few days back, which showed the Wii U version as a choppy mess that is not the case at all, which probably was the result of a video capture snafu.

Yeah, that video you are referring to ran at a consistent 50 fps, which was really strange.

Firebrand

MK7 vs MK8D comparison is pretty fun, as I only started playing the first one a month ago, hah.

Bit worried the line inversion / "scanlines" effect on my Switch screen is going to be even more noticable at 60 FPS though. :/ We'll see.

the video says everything is the same other than the output resolution, but in the video around 1:45, where they're spinning around Mario in his kart on the start line, it looks like the switch version might have more polygons in the model? At least the tailpipes look noticably rounder on switch than on the WiiU?

Seems so, the rest of the kart looks the same to me but they must have tidied a few things up.

Fliesen

Seems so, the rest of the kart looks the same to me but they must have tidied a few things up.

huh, good eye!

8wxqJp0.gif

they also seem to have polished Mario's posture / arms ever so slightly.
(otherwise the model looks the same - the polycount on his hat, nose and ears, for example)

huh, good eye!

8wxqJp0.gif

they also seem to have polished Mario's posture / arms ever so slightly.
(otherwise the model looks the same - the polycount on his hat, nose and ears, for example)
I can't quite tell if it's rounder because of the lack of jaggies or if it's genuinely rounder. Either way it's a nice improvement/

Fliesen

I can't quite tell if it's rounder because of the lack of jaggies or if it's genuinely rounder. Either way it's a nice improvement/

it's certainly rounder.

Also, the effect would be the other way around. A lower resolution makes things look rounder because it 'masks' those sharp edges / corners a bit.

On the switch, the ears and hat have much more visible "corners" than they do on the Wii U.

No anti-aliasing again...

I don't know what it is with Nintendo's desire to ruin their great art with shit image quality.

Yeah i'll hop on back on the Nintendo train in a couple of gens, i guess.
Maybe they'll have some more respect for their artists, fans and games by then.

But at 1080P they are less apparent than before, so that's a small plus.

Plum

A lack of AA = a lack of respect for their artists, fans and games.

I think I've heard everything.

A lack of AA = a lack of respect for their artists, fans and games.

I think I've heard everything.

In this day and age, yes. That's exactly what it means. It must be hell working there as an artist. Being limited by everything. And in the end seeing your art ruined by jaggies, shit textures and everything else.
It's a shame. These artists and these games deserve better hardware.

Just my opinion of course. Ansd based on it being a home console. It's an awesome Handheld (aside from battery life)

In this day and age, yes. That's exactly what it means. It must be hell working there as an artist. Being limited by everything. And in the end seeing your art ruined by jaggies, shit textures and everything else.

Just my opinion of course. Ansd based on it being a home console. It's an awesome Handheld (aside from battery life)

Still looks good to me, especially for a portable system.

Still looks good to me, especially for a portable system.

it looks insane on a portable. And it looked pretty damn good on the WiiU too (But compromised by jaggies and bad textures).

Anyway. good that they improved the game where they could. The rock solid 60 fps is great and 1080P is always better than 720P.

And don't get me wrong. I played this games to bits and pieces with my GF and son and i consider it the best Mariokart since mariokart DS. Maybe even the very best.

Plum

Just my opinion of course.

If we go by this argument then the only platform where a game can actually get the "respect" it deserves is PC. After all, it must be hell working on a massive AAA game when you know you're going to have to make compromises if you want 60fps or even a stable 30. The CPUs of the PS4, X1, Pro and (probably) Scorpio aren't powerful enough to handle much past a certain point and keep a steady framerate, why aren't you thinking of the poor designers, coders and directors who have to cut down their games in order to get them working on a console? What about VR? Are Sony, Oculus and HTC/Valve disrespecting the artists of VR games because their headsets aren't perfect?

Your opinion ignores the countless other compromises that countless developers have had to make throughout perhaps the entire history of gaming. Unless you do a Star Citizen or Crysis 1 and focus on tech that's not even there yet something's gotta give, and there are far larger compromises than just a lack of AA on a 1080p/60fps game.

But at 1080P they are less apparent than before, so that's a small plus.

You must feel so sorry for naughty dog for having to work on such a limiting platform. If only they could target the high end pc market instead to have respect for their artists, fans and games.

Rodin

Can you show us these art-ruining jaggies in MK8D? You have the DF shots, pick one.

Fliesen

I'd actually say being a Designer with Nintendo must be so much more rewarding, because those games are much more valued by players for their art direction, character design instead of just raw performance prowess like pixelcounts and whatnot.

I feel like it's a blessing for designers that they're developing for a platform that doesn't take part in the whole 'IQ rat race'.

People are flabbergasted by how beautiful Zelda looks at times, and all that credit doesn't go to the power of the Switch's hardware or the fancy rendering techniques used, but entirely the art design.

Top Bottom