• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch vs. 3DS/Wii U Comparison

Minsc

Gold Member
People are just upset over the 3DS comparisons because they want to see the Switch as a horribly weak device (home console) incapable of running things at improved quality (or portrayed at all as a handheld console in a graphics comparison between another handheld console since then it would win). World perspectives and such.

Majine

Banned
In MK7s defense, it looks alot better in 3D.

So put two shots of the game next to eachother in the comparison? 🤓

What's generally accepted as a full generational leap isn't just "significant", it's a giant leap in capabilities that goes way beyond that. At the same time, many people would consider going from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1080 a pretty significant upgrade and that's just a 2x bump in GPU power and VRAM. The jump from Wii U to Switch is around or over 3x in every area, and calling that a minor upgrade just because it isn't a typical full generational leap is pretty misleading if you ask me.

These are pretty significant upgrades if you ask me (much higher internal resolution, much better lighting, much better materials, etc), especially considering they're launch ports. There wasn't a single multiplatform game on the Wii U at launch that showed this gap compared to last gen consoles, not even Trine 2 or NFS. So what's gonna happen when developers start making games from the ground up for the Switch after they learned how to fully exploit the system capabilities?

The reality is that the Switch is a new hybrid form factor that manages to beat Wii U in both modes, and it didn't happen very often that a new handheld device was more capable than the last home system, especially with Nintendo hardware. This gap can only become bigger as developers learn how to fully exploit the hardware. That doesn't mean that the console is around Xbox One in power, but it's also not that close to Wii U. There are many "slots" in between where the Switch can (and does) sit.

I feel like I've inadvertently stepped in it a bit here. To be clear I quite like the Switch and am completely happy with my purchase. It's just that from where I'm sitting, it's technological prowess in terms of being a worthwhile TV-focused gaming console is very low on the list of things that excite me about this console. I did not buy it thinking it would be a graphical beast in its ability to output high-end graphics on my 4K TV.

Plum

This is not standard practice for DF comparisons though. To my recollection, they've never done this (comparing a sequel to its predecessor) before, or if they have, it's incredibly rare.

You may very well be right. I don't follow Digital Foundry religiously. I still don't understand what makes the comparison egregious.

Well, they compare the same race tracks, so you could argue it's similar to comparing remasters to their originals. They certainly have done that.

It's definitely standard practice for them. They do the same for pretty much every other racing series out there that shares tracks between versions, they've also compared tracks that are shared between different franchises altogether.

EDIT: Forza 6 vs. 5 Comparison for one example.

They did a comparison between the "Village" map in Uncharted 4's multiplayer when it was brought back from UC2's.

Rodin

I feel like I've inadvertently stepped in it a bit here. To be clear I quite like the Switch and am completely happy with my purchase. It's just that from where I'm sitting, it's technological prowess in terms of being a worthwhile TV-focused gaming console is very low on the list of things that excite me about this console. I did not buy it thinking it would be a graphical beast in its ability to output high-end graphics on my 4K TV.

Sure, and neither did i (i bought a PS4 Pro for that, and i plan on upgrading my i5/GTX 970 PC when the next cards drop) or - likely - anyone else who bought the console. I also wasn't suggesting that you don't like the Switch, i was just referring to the perception of where the hardware sits in terms of capabilities, especially compared to Wii U. I think it's a more than decent upgrade, especially considering what the console is (a hybrid device that needs to function as a handheld too).

In MK7s defense, it looks alot better in 3D.

So put two shots of the game next to eachother in the comparison? 🤓
MK7's graphical quality was all over the place in my opinion. Some tracks were well designed and looked great regardless of the game being fairly poly starved (Music park, Rainbow Road), and others were just hard to look at (parts of DK Jungle, rock rock mountain).

I expected them to get closer to Wii level quality than they did. 3D and 60fps did help distract from the overall graphical quality quite a bit though. I still miss 3D when I play my Switch.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I mean you're fine. Everyone has their own reasons for buying shit. Being happy with it is all that matters.

For me, I hate this perception that being able to play AAA 3rd party tent poles is what determines if a home console is viable or not. To me it comes across as a rapidly shrinking demographic struggling to maintain its grasp on relevancy in the face of indie and smaller budget affairs slowly taking over both in revenue and critical reception. In the past 45 days Switch has IMHO received a lion's share of the most fun titles released to the industry in that span.. if that doesn't qualify it as a "home console" I strongly question people's qualifications of such.

I still miss 3D when I play my Switch.

3D was always such a tough sell. I LOVE 3D on the 3DS.. n3DS is an amazing device. But as long as 3D takes away from effective power throughput, AND device resolution.. it's always going to be that trade off call (like we're talking about in this same thread with AA)

In a perfect world, where 3D is free and we have an effective glassless handheld resolution of 720p or 1080p with 3D.. bring it on (of course allowing those who wish to turn it off). Until then though. at the hardware level I am not sure it's worth the loss in resolution.. and at the dev level.. you're going to see too much of what you're seeing in this very thread "what!?!?!? I lose effects/post-processing for 3D?? No way!!! Get that shit outta here!"

Lexxism

lol. I don't know why people are getting mad when DF is comparing it to MK7. It's not like a lot of people played the MK8. So, it's not unreasonable that for some people this is a direct sequel of MK7.

VanWinkle

People are just upset over the 3DS comparisons because they want to see the Switch as a horribly weak device (home console) incapable of running things at improved quality (or portrayed at all as a handheld console in a graphics comparison between another handheld console since then it would win). World perspectives and such.

Yup.

TS-08

lol. I don't know why people are getting mad when DF is comparing it to MK7. It's not like a lot of people played the MK8. So, it's not unreasonable that for some people this is a direct sequel of MK7.

I mean, MK8 sold over 8 million. A lot of people played it, even if that is low by standards set by other recent Mario Karts.

Sad and true.

Seems like this is inline with the increase in Switch over Wii U. I guess I'm in the majority or have my expectations tempered but 1080p60fps is fine by me. Sure they could have probably squezed a bit more out of Switch but it's pretty inline with the 3x increase in power most believe Switch is over Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I mean, MK8 sold over 8 million. A lot of people played it, even if that is low by standards set by other recent Mario Karts.

Every time I see that LTD for Mk8 I can't believe it. Especially thinking about the Wii U 13 millions install base :|

Jeffrey

Wonder why people are so disappointed in this game. It's basically a definite edition with additional battle mode too as a launch window title. Kinda like the last of us ps4 version.

I'm sure they are working on a new one. I don't remember mk games coming out near launch anyways? Usually a year or 2?

Lmao the 3DS to Switch comparison is just savage. (Having it in 3D at 60fps was sweet though.)

Regardless, I'm so freaking pumped for this to finally get released.

Then you don't actually understand what the problem was then.

It's not that it was running at 59fps, rather, that there was a constant, inherent stutter present during gameplay at all times. Once you see it, the problem is impossible to ignore. It was super annoying.

I noticed it as well. But don't worry, someone else will come to tell us that "it's impossible to notice it because it's just one frame"

It didn't bother me but I have this weird thing called eyes that allows me to see things, so I was able to see the stutter. And one of my eyes doesn't even work properly. But I still see the stutter lol

And I never noticed it, and I tried to, but never saw it. There are people who see it but only very few see it. Majority of people don't see it. So it happens, but not a lot of people notice.

I don't think it is only very few who sees it. Everyone I have shown it in person and explained it can see it and cannot unsee it. But to be fair most didn't see it before I pointed it out.

The hell?

I love the Switch. I've played many games on this month and a half, and if anything, I'm quite impressed with the handheld mode performs.

So no, i'm not upset because of that stupid reason. I just don't understand the need of comparing a game from a previois entry in the series and from a obviously less powered device.

Next time compare Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey, please DF.

TS-08

The hell?

I love the Switch. I've played many games on this month and a half, and if anything, I'm quite impressed with the handheld mode performs.

So no, i'm not upset because of that stupid reason. I just don't understand the need of comparing a game from a previois entry in the series and from a obviously less powered device.

If Super Mario Odyssey contains a level from Mario 64 they just might.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wonder why people are so disappointed in this game. It's basically a definite edition with additional battle mode too as a launch window title. Kinda like the last of us ps4 version.

I'm sure they are working on a new one. I don't remember mk games coming out near launch anyways? Usually a year or 2?

Who is disappointed? Those who played it surely aren't and I have seen already so many people willing get to buy it/preordering it

Wait, people are actually bothered? Jokes aside, I thought the 3DS/Switch comparison was nice as it highlighted how far the series has come, especially in handheld mode.

Fireblend

Banned
It's not even like the video is solely about the MK7-8 comparison, they compare it with the original for a pretty good chunk of the video. People can always choose to close the video there if they find the rest of the content silly. Would you rather DF had produced less content? If anything it's a fun bit. The leap between the 3DS and Switch, two Nintendo generation-adjacent consoles, is astounding and worthy of note.

Plum

The hell?

That's what Digital Foundry does, they compare different hardware, patches, versions of a game and see the results. I don't see why this is being discussed all of a sudden when they've done videos in the past doing the exact same thing just with other series (see the examples I posted before).

shiyrley

Banned
oh my god! you just roasted us!

They might compare Mario 3D Land to Mario Odissey. That would be the equivalent.

Or if Mario Odissey actually has a Mario 64 level they might compare it for fun. Some people will get mad, sane people won't mind it.
Hey DF what's next ya gonna compare Uncharted 4 and Pong HAHA YOU'VE BEEN SERVED!
well memed my friend!

Tambini

People getting even the tiniest bit bothered by DF comparing Mario Kart 7 to Mario Kart 8 are ridiculous and childish

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That's what Digital Foundry does, they compare different hardware, patches, versions of a game and see the results. I don't see why this is being discussed all of a sudden when they've done videos in the past doing the exact same thing just with other series (see the examples I posted before).

Yup.

It's definitely standard practice for them. They do the same for pretty much every other racing series out there that shares tracks between versions, they've also compared tracks that are shared between different franchises altogether.

EDIT: Forza 6 vs. 5 Comparison for one example.

They did a comparison between the "Village" map in Uncharted 4's multiplayer when it was brought back from UC2's.

I guess these dont count for reasons.

At this point I cant even tell who are 3DS fans upset or Nintendo haters upset. Or not even Nintendo haters but Switch haters.

Its all so confusing, lol.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Can any Gamefly subscribers in the thread recommend when I should sign up for an account in an effort to get the game in my mailbox on launch day?

Yup.

I guess these dont count for reasons.

At this point I cant even tell who are 3DS fans upset or Nintendo haters upset. Or not even Nintendo haters but Switch haters.

Its all so confusing, lol.

It's bizarre.
The only unnecessary thing about it is full comparisons for all retro courses already existed 3 years ago from Gamexplain, so it's kind of redundant when it's already established that handheld mode looks virtually identical to the Wii U version.

Nosgotham

People still confused about switch?

It's a handheld you can play on your tv.comparisons to the last handheld iteration are apt. It's not strange at all

Plum

Seems like there are more people getting overly defensive than there are people commenting on the 3DS/Switch comparison.

That's because we all worship Digital Foundry and we tolerate no dissent from the non-believers.

We've reached the "you're being overly defensive fanboys for calling people out on their nonsense" point of the thread.

giphy.gif

ikuze

I appreciate the 3DS comparison. Made me realize again how big of a jump the Switch is over the 3DS. Amazing.

TS-08

It's bizarre.
The only unnecessary thing about it is full comparisons for all retro courses already existed 3 years ago from Gamexplain, so it's kind of redundant when it's already established that handheld mode looks virtually identical to the Wii U version.

It's not redundant to actually see the thing in action. Yeah, you may know what the system is capable of, but it's always relevant and interesting to actually see it come to fruition.

ZeoVGM

Banned

It's my personal opinion that this specific comparison is strange. Like, I made a minor comment. This isn't a statement of fact either way, chill out.

But that doesn't count because it's not a console that they want to look bad

The fuck?

I'm a Nintendo fanboy who got the Switch at midnight, who is getting Mario Kart 8 tomorrow at Target, despite my $20 Best Buy credit, just to get a toy cube as a bonus.

But sure, I want the Switch to look bad because I said that comparing a game on Switch to 3DS is a little strange in an offhand comment. You're definitely right and not jumping to insane defensive conclusions.

Moff

of course the 3DS comparisons are valid
the switch is both a handheld and stationary console so they show improvements over both nintendos last handheld and stationary console

I also loved how mario kart 7 looked back then, but the leap is huge and it's good to show that because many people use the switch as a handheld console, it's really not strange at all

Top Bottom