• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Switch vs. 3DS/Wii U Comparison

KingBroly

Banned
huh, good eye!

8wxqJp0.gif

they also seem to have polished Mario's posture / arms ever so slightly.
(otherwise the model looks the same - the polycount on his hat, nose and ears, for example)

The receiver on the back is new. Not sure why they added it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
huh, good eye!

8wxqJp0.gif

they also seem to have polished Mario's posture / arms ever so slightly.
(otherwise the model looks the same - the polycount on his hat, nose and ears, for example)

The "posture" thing is simply the cause of there being a tiny idle animation before the race starts lol. He bends and straightens his arm in both versions :p

If we go by this argument then the only platform where a game can actually get the "respect" it deserves is PC. After all, it must be hell working on a massive AAA game when you know you're going to have to make compromises if you want 60fps or even a stable 30. The CPUs of the PS4, X1, Pro and (probably) Scorpio aren't powerful enough to handle much past a certain point and keep a steady framerate, why aren't you thinking of the poor designers, coders and directors who have to cut down their games in order to get them working on a console? What about VR? Are Sony, Oculus and HTC/Valve disrespecting the artists of VR games because their headsets aren't perfect?

Your opinion ignores the countless other compromises that countless developers have had to make throughout perhaps the entire history of gaming. Unless you do a Star Citizen or Crysis 1 and focus on tech that's not even there yet something's gotta give, and there are far larger compromises than just a lack of AA on a 1080p/60fps game.

"PC"? You mean a really high end PC. Too expensive to be a Home console. If they can make those in a 400 dollar box then sure. All for it. Nintendo tries it hardest to come up with the absolute weakest parts money can find. Every gen since Wii has been the smallest of upgrades.

Couldn't care less about VR. That's still in very early baby step development.

And for people saying Art-design saves Zelda? Not at all. The art-direction is inconsistent and ruined by all the limitations. And of course this is just relative to what we are used to these days. I it looked like that 10 years ago we would go nuts.

"PC"? You mean a really high end PC. Too expensive to be a Home console. If they can make those in a 400 dollar box then sure. All for it. Nintendo tries it hardest to come up with the absolute weakest parts money can find. Every gen since Wii has been the smallest of upgrades.

And for people saying Art-design saves Zelda? Not at all. The art-direction is inconsistent and ruined by all the limitations. And of course this is just relative to what we are used to these days. I it looked like that 10 years ago we would go nuts.

They did indeed try their hardest to come up with the weakest most powerful tablet on the market.

If you're going to continue to draw arbitrary lines in the sand to disclude pc because it's not your favourite 400 dollar console box, then there's really no place left to stand on your soapbox. If you think that weak hardware holds back artists and disrespects fans, then it does just as much on your 400 dollar box relative to what's available to purchase for a bit more money than that.

Quite a a lot of people that were saying that the switch is a handheld and not a console are upset with the 3DS comparison? I mean if it's a handheld as you say there should be 0 issues with it. :/

They did indeed try their hardest to come up with the weakest most powerful tablet on the market.

If you're going to continue to draw arbitrary lines in the sand to disclude pc because it's not your favourite 400 dollar console box, then there's really no place left to stand on your soapbox. If you think that weak hardware holds back artists and disrespects fans, then it does just as much on your 400 dollar box relative to what's available to purchase for a bit more money than that.

It DESTROYS me how willing some gamers are to get up on a graphical superiority high horse about this shit when, oh, it turns out the same stupid drivel can be used in favor of arguing that PC is the most superior platform.

Mention this, and it instantly becomes "uhh uhh but yeah the price, and console exclusives, and..." So basically these folks are left doing mental gymnastics to come up with a reasonable sounding excuse for what is literally fanboyism.

The fact that some console players take this stance when the "PC master race" meme exists is just so funny. If you're really so concerned about this whole "things must be at ULTRA PERFECT GRAPHICAL FIDELITY AT ALL TIMES" thing, then you'll game on PC exclusively.

Minsc

Gold Member

Is it possible for you to be more wrong? The 3DS > Switch is possibly the largest generation jump of any handheld console to date.

I don't even know why I'm replying to you, because you're arguments are so blatantly intended to troll people, it couldn't be more apparent.

Plum

So your sympathy for developers (well, artists only really) begins and ends with Nintendo consoles then? How can I take you seriously when a lack of AA is enough for Nintendo to disrespect its "artists, fans and games" yet years of stagnant CPU development stifling the scale and complexity of all console games, or a set of VR headsets that all affect their game's IQ quite significantly, are perfectly fine?

If you want to do the equivalent of port-begging and demand Nintendo games be on more powerful hardware just say so, no need to try and justify it with such flimsy arguments.

Is it possible for you to be more wrong? The 3DS > Switch is possibly the largest generation jump of any handheld console to date.

I don't even know why I'm replying to you, because you're arguments are so blatantly intended to troll people, it couldn't be more apparent.

That's not true at all. I'm disappointed in the new console.
As i already said, it's great tech for a handheld but i'm not interested in a handheld.

So your sympathy for developers (well, artists only really) begins and ends with Nintendo consoles then? How can I take you seriously when a lack of AA is enough for Nintendo to disrespect its "artists, fans and games" yet years of stagnant CPU development stifling the scale and complexity of all console games, or a set of VR headsets that all affect their game's IQ quite significantly, are perfectly fine?

If you want to do the equivalent of port-begging and demand Nintendo games be on more powerful hardware just say so, no need to try and justify it with such flimsy arguments.

No, not just aa. Though that is most apparent these days. And no, not just Nintendo, but again. with their hardware it's most apparent (as a home console).

Kyzer

Banned
Just a disappointed gamer who didn't get what he wanted i guess.
So now i'm mad at Nintendo.

At least you know where its coming from.

As someone who has barely stuck with Nintendo since the e3 where they revealed Wii Sports Resort and a special surprise for hardcore gamers (Animal Crossing City Folk), I have never been less disappointed by a Nintendo console than the Switch. Its modern, the UI is snappier than the PS4 or XB1, updates download and install quickly, its region free, the screen is nice, and its more powerful than the Wii U despite being a handheld. It honestly gives me hope for Nintendo. I wasn't sure they even knew how to do this stuff, I was beginning to worry.

MCN

Banned
Just a disappointed gamer who didn't get what he wanted i guess.
So now i'm mad at Nintendo.

So you should also be mad at Sony and Microsoft for using dogshit CPUs. What you want is a high-end PC, pure and simple. So get one and stop being such a self-centred whiny brat.

At least you know where its coming from.

As someone who has barely stuck with Nintendo since the e3 where they revealed Wii Sports Resort and a special surprise for hardcore gamers (Animal Crossing City Folk), I have never been less disappointed by a Nintendo console than the Switch. Its modern, the UI is snappier than the PS4 or XB1, updates download and install quickly, its region free, the screen is nice, and its more powerful than the Wii U despite being a handheld. It honestly gives me hope for Nintendo. I wasn't sure they even knew how to do this stuff, I was beginning to worry.

Sure. It's a great handheld device. And it's great more people get to play the best Mariokart game available and on the go. Seriously. The games deserves to be played by as many people as possible. But it's a last gen Nintendo game and i wanted a new powerful home console where the new games (like a possible mariokart 9 and a new zelda) would really make good use of the available new power. Jesus Christ i can only imagine what those artists can do with the power of a PS PRo or a Scorpio. Fuuuuuck.

So you should also be mad at Sony and Microsoft for using dogshit CPUs. What you want is a high-end PC, pure and simple. So get one and stop being such a self-centred whiny brat.

I am. But at least they keep moving forward with reasonably big steps while keeping a reasonable price.
I agree i'm a self centered whiny brat right now. I do. But i don't want a fucking PC. I hate Windows and none of the games i love are on PC aside from a couple of multiplats.

Anyway, i apologize for going offtopic way too much. It's mostly coming out of a frustrated love for Nintendo games. That much is certain to me.

Kyzer

Banned
Sure. It's a great handheld device. And it's great more people get to play the best Mariokart game available and on the go. Seriously. The games deserves to be played by as many people as possible. But it's a last gen Nintendo game and i wanted a new powerful home console where the new games (like a possible mariokart 9 and a new zelda) would really make good use of the available new power. Jesus Christ i can only imagine what those artists can do with the power of a PS PRo or a Scorpio. Fuuuuuck.

Well that would be cool too. and idk we still might get Mario Kart 9 and Zelda on switch, based on projected sales...

And better than Wii U gfx on Nintendos new handheld is actually better than what anyone should have predicted, its usually a little worse than their last home console. Mario Kart 8 actually got upgraded.

So we're back to arbitrary lines in the sand drawn in front of console boxes because of reasons.

Imagine what bloodborne could perform like if it wasn't restrained. Imagine if uc4 couldve hit it's original bs target render. Imagine if pretty much every open world game on your favourite console box didn't have framerate issues. Either play good games because they are good, or acknowledge that playing them on a branded box (any branded box!) means you're playing an inferior product period. By your metrics, we would call that a "disrespect for the artist, game and player"

Seik

Banned
Yeah it's a real shame aliasing was my biggest issue with MK8, you'd think they'd have more then enough to work with to fix it on the switch.

It was an issue for me too on the Wii U version, since 720p basically looked like shit on the big tv.

Being 1080p with this IQ basically makes this a non-issue for me with Deluxe though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
But at least they keep moving forward with reasonably big steps while keeping a reasonable price.
Switch is up to five times more powerful than 360 in docked mode and three times more powerful than Wii U. And still about 2.5 times more powerful than 360 in handheld mode. You don't find that a reasonably big step? In what world?

"What I want from Nintendo is current top end specs" is what you're basically saying, which of course ignores that Nintendo has never done that. GameCube and N4 were then-relatively powerful but with very notable concessions. Wii U was a between-gen console at best. You'd have to go back to SNES, or maybe GBA, to find a Nintendo console that was best in class. Or ironically the Switch (current handheld specs). Those might even be the only two/three (NES/Fami was weaker to both SMS/Mk3 and PCE/TG-16)

This "I want a current top spec Nintendo console" is literally ignoring how they've built hardware since the entered the home console market. HOWEVER, to say the they don't keep moving forward... is just silly. They don't plant the flag where you arbitrarily want them to plant it, but they most certainly keep moving forward. Even Wii was more powerful than GCN, even if not terribly.

Minsc

Gold Member
Switch is up to five times more powerful than 360 in docked mode and three times more powerful than Wii U. And still about 2.5 times more powerful than 360 in handheld mode. You don't find that a reasonably big step? In what world?

"What I want from Nintendo is current top end specs" is what you're basically saying, which of course ignores that Nintendo has never done that. GameCube and N4 were then-relatively powerful but with very notable concessions. Wii U was a between-gen console at best. You'd have to go back to SNES, or maybe GBA, to find a Nintendo console that was best in class. Or ironically the Switch (current handheld specs). Those might even be the only two/three (NES/Fami was weaker to both SMS/Mk3 and PCE/TG-16)

This "I want a current top spec Nintendo console" is literally ignoring how they've built hardware since the entered the home console market. HOWEVER, to say the they don't keep moving forward... is just silly. They don't plant the flag where you arbitrarily want them to plant it, but they most certainly keep moving forward. Even Wii was more powerful than GCN, even if not terribly.

What sucks for him is his own goal posts keep moving, and prevent him from enjoying Nintendo games for basically all time. Even in 15 years when Nintendo has a 4k system out (which by his standards today would surpass everything he wants), he'll want 8k minimum, because 4k will be inadequate, and 4k games will look like crap and ruin the art.

What sucks for him is his own goal posts keep moving, and prevent him from enjoying Nintendo games for basically all time. Even in 15 years when Nintendo has a 4k system out (which by his standards today would surpass everything he wants), he'll want 8k minimum, because 4k will be inadequate, and 4k games will look like crap and ruin the art.
No that's not true either imo.

I think there will come a time (pretty soon actually) where devs and artists can basically create and reproduce everything they come up with without having their art ruined by shit textures, aliasing, etc. We're almost there. And Nintendo will get there too, eventually.
And at that point it's all about game design and art-direction. We can finally stop talking about graphics aside from the artistic choices they make.

Resolution is just a tiny aspect that will automatically evolve.

Lmao and how cheap do you believe a handheld with PS4 level specifications would be. Fucking absurd.

I think there will come a time (pretty soon actually) where devs and artists can basically create and reproduce everything they come up with without having their art ruined by shit textures, aliasing, etc. We're almost there. And Nintendo will get there too, eventually.
And at that point it's all about game design and art-direction. We can finally stop talking about graphics aside from the artistic choices they make.

I think its sad you haven't been able to appreciate nintendos achievements for the past 10 years until your magical goalpost future arrives.

Berordn

Please tell me how you manage to compare 2 completely different games where one's base (non-3D) resolution is 400x240 & 320x240 vs. the other's 1280x720. Apple Vs. Oranges.

They're similar games, showcasing similar content, on similarly handheld systems. The parallels are much easier to draw than you're making it. But the actual point isn't them making a comparison but rather to showcase the progress. Nobody's expecting the 3DS to come out on top here.

Kyzer

Banned
Please tell me how you manage to compare 2 completely different games where one's base (non-3D) resolution is 400x240 & 320x240 vs. the other's 1280x720. Apple Vs. Oranges.

Umm...thats apples to apples. Ones just clearly way better than the other.

SuperSah

Banned
Anyone who has played it, how does it look on the handheld?

Vibrant, colourful? It's going to be mind blowing playing this on the handheld unit!

Plum

It won't be all about game design until people begin to care about CPU power as well as GPU power. The PS4 and X1 let artists create pretty graphics but if you're a game designer you're quite severely limited in how much you can actually do. See The Last Guardian; it runs like crap even on a PS4 Pro, why weren't you calling Sony disrespectful for not giving the team enough CPU power to run the game at a reasonable framerate? It's hypocrisy, plain and simple.

It won't be all about game design until people begin to care about CPU power as well as GPU power..

Yep, that needs to change too. We're getting there though. Maybe next gen.
Don't make this a console war though. I'm not in it that way. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and i've always been one. I just wanted something really different than the Switch. That's all i'm saying here. Thus far it's a WiiU port handheld if you look at the good games.
Not just good games, by the way, some of the best games ever made. But still.. WiiU games.

Plum

Don't make this a console war though. I'm not in it that way. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and i've always been one. I just wanted something really different than the Switch. That's all i'm saying here. Thus far it's a WiiU port handheld if you look at the good games.
Not just good game, by the way, some of the best games ever made. But still.. WiiU games.

I don't care what you personally want, I just find this argument that the developers are "going through hell" and that Nintendo is disrespecting its "fans, developers and games" to be entirely hypocritical and you've failed to give any reason why it isn't. I bring up The Last Guardian because I seriously doubt you were in the Digital Foundry thread for that game making those same arguments, but I could have done the same for 3rd party games like Just Cause 3, Assassin's Creed: Unity or the many that don't run at a native 1080p.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

What are you saying? Haven't you read his username?

;p

Minsc

Gold Member
Not just good games, by the way, some of the best games ever made. But still.. WiiU games.

I guess the thing to consider is going forward, yeah it's got a bunch of great Wii U games (and I hope it continues to get more, I enjoy the portable aspect), but the Wii U isn't getting many more new games, that has no future, so over the next few years all the new Nintendo games will now exist solely on Switch, not both Wii U and Switch. When there's a hardware refresh of the Switch in a few years, it'll be possible to do something like Scorpio / PS4 Pro I'm sure, and run the existing games at higher res or with AA, etc. So they definitely have an interesting path ahead of them past the original Switch, with little / no competition for now.

I guess the thing to consider is going forward, yeah it's got a bunch of great Wii U games (and I hope it continues to get more, I enjoy the portable aspect), but the Wii U isn't getting many more new games, that has no future, so over the next few years all the new Nintendo games will now exist solely on Switch, not both Wii U and Switch. When there's a hardware refresh of the Switch in a few years, it'll be possible to do something like Scorpio / PS4 Pro I'm sure, and run the existing games at higher res or with AA, etc. So they definitely have an interesting path ahead of them past the original Switch, with little / no competition for now.

I agree. Now that the Switch is here it is a chance to for people to play some of the amazing WiiU games that they missed out on.

And to all the people here who reacted. I'm not as big of an asshat as i seem here. I was just hoping for a different machine than we got. I have no interest in a Handheld.
Having said that, my gf, my son and i are completely crazy about Nintendo games and when more great new games arrive i will probably buy the Switch. A hardware refresh would be great for me. As long as it looks great on a HD screen.

And no, the Switch has no competition as a Handheld and i doubt Microsoft or Sony will go that route. Nintendo is the only company that can really pull this off.

Quite a a lot of people that were saying that the switch is a handheld and not a console are upset with the 3DS comparison? I mean if it's a handheld as you say there should be 0 issues with it. :/

that'd be pretty weird if people were actually doing that, but for the reason you stated I don't actually think there's that much crossover at all

LordZagry

Neo Member
Wow, a lot of people seem to misuse the "comparison" term. I mean, you don't necessarily compare two things in order to tell which is "the better" ; the point of DF is obviously not to say that Switch is more powerful than 3DS. You can make comparison in a retrospective way, just for the historic part, like, remember how was the 3DS, now look how is the new hardware.
And that's exactly what they do, comparing tracks that are in both of the versions in order to see how handheld have changed for the last years. I honestly don't get the controversy here.
EDIT : I guess the thread title is confusing and people comment without seeing the video.

Mael

Actually the 3DS/WiiU comparison is the most interesting one.
It's what made MKDS so magical, having tracks you knew by heart in the newest version.
I wouldn't mind a comparison between SNES/N64/GBA/GC/DS/WII/3DS/WIIU/NS.
I feel like while 3DS/NS is a huge comparison the impact is not as big as what MKDS had...then again MKDS is awesome.

In this day and age, yes. That's exactly what it means. It must be hell working there as an artist. Being limited by everything. And in the end seeing your art ruined by jaggies, shit textures and everything else.
It's a shame. These artists and these games deserve better hardware.

Just my opinion of course. Ansd based on it being a home console. It's an awesome Handheld (aside from battery life)

Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart when docked on Switch look as good as any game on XB1 or PS4. Wii / PS360 you had a case. Not so much now.

Top Bottom