• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Mario Rabbids "A superb Switch tech showcase"

99% of all games on PS4 are running at 1080p on the base machine. Those games also does shit tons more taxing stuff in general. BoTW is a WiiU game that they couldn't get to 1080p. Only games that run at 1080p @ 60fps on Switch are what, Mario Kart 8 and Arms? Launch titles if anything should run at the target resolution the machine is built for. In this case 720p and 1080p. Sure the size of it plays a heavy part, but my point is that if we already can emulate said game at a performance and image quality level that far surpasses that of the real machine it goes to show that they could and should have put some more spec candy in there. 1080p while docked at a more solid 30fps in a game like Zelda should be a given. I really wonder if they took much advantage of the extra power at hand.

If we get 900p docked at 60fps I'm all for it, but otherwise it's just not worth it.

It's a tablet running an ARM processor that generates less energy than the PS4 and is overall smaller. The fact it even comes close to PS4/Xbox One resolution is impressive on its own.

VanWinkle

Your last statements are inaccurate. There is well over a 10x gap in GPU and CPU power between the PSVita and PS3. There is a nice gap between the Switch and PS4 in Raw power, but it is still a bit smaller than a typical console generation leap.

The gap with the GPU and memory is closer in actual potential performance due to the GPU being a bit more modern, has 2x FP16, and uses TBR that saves on the memory bandwidth. There is definitely a good gap between the two systems' performance, but the size of that gap will depend on several other factors.

But isn't that the case for Vita compared to PS3, too? It does things that are a bit more modern than PS3, so comparing raw performance is similarly not exactly fair.

I look at the best of what Vita offered, and the best of what Switch has offered so far, and I see a logical generational gap, maybe just a bit more than that. Feels similar to the gap between PS3 and PS4, which, in games, is pretty massive.

You're probably right but the plaza in Splatoon 2 runs like a dog - I don't think it's 30 (Unless you're looking at a wall or something). I'd prefer to have something simpler that was smoother feeling as that place feels like molasses when I run through it.

It's a pretty constant 30 fps based on Digital Foundry's Splatoon 2 analysis. I think it just feels slower because the game jumps from 60fps to 30fps when going back to the lobby, which makes the 30fps seem noticeably worse when in reality it'd probably be fine if you had never experienced the 60fps in the first place.

you mean 3 right?
2 was incredible and very unfairly reviewed, i would love a hd port of that game on switch or even better a sequel.

???

R4REUjH.png

Maaaaan. That would be amazing. I'd trust this team with a Luigi's Mansion game, too.

Yeah, I would trust them with a Luigi's Mansion sequel as well, with some input from Nintendo of course.

you mean 3 right?
2 was incredible and very unfairly reviewed, i would love a hd port of that game on switch or even better a sequel.

3DS game wasn't a direct sequel.

Also, read the post above mine.

Oregano

3D World isn't a major Mario game?

Dark Moon isn't a true sequel to Luigi's Mansion?

What happened to this thread!?

LM3 will be UE4 and by NLG, suck it haters

Luigi's Mansion 2 is insane considering it runs on a toaster. I can't wait to see the sequel no matter what engine it uses. You can bet the lighting will be insane!

Dezzy

Game is pretty for sure, but I do get this issue that every once in a while, the game freezes, and then fast forwards to catch up to where it should have been.

It's a tablet running an ARM processor that generates less energy than the PS4 and is overall smaller. The fact it even comes close to PS4/Xbox One resolution is impressive on its own.

It's not. Resolution means nothing. My phone can run games at 1440p. That doesn't make it impressive or close to PS4 games.

But isn't that the case for Vita compared to PS3, too? It does things that are a bit more modern than PS3, so comparing raw performance is similarly not exactly fair.

I look at the best of what Vita offered, and the best of what Switch has offered so far, and I see a logical generational gap, maybe just a bit more than that. Feels similar to the gap between PS3 and PS4, which, in games, is pretty massive.

You're right. Now that I think about it, I was downplaying how much easier it is to efficiently develop games for the PSVita compared to the PS3. The PSVita also had a little more RAM. Having said that, I still believe the difference between the PSVita and the undocked Switch is more massive than the PS3 to PS4.

They're arguing that Switch is impressive because the resolution is close to the resolution of PS4. Resolution means nothing in that regard.

There's a tool for Samsung phones that lets you choose the rendering resolution for games.

The person who said that likely forgot to clarify that he/she was thinking of games within a particular graphical tier instead of, for example, 4K PS2-quality games.

You know, I wonder if getting rid of anti-aliasing in portable mode would have allowed the game to run in 720p? The screen is just small enough that aliasing isn't that big of a deal if it's running 720p. Also, I wonder if games programmed on Switch can change graphics options besides resolution. I know FAST RMX allows some tweaks, but I'm wondering mandatory changes, such at my idea of no AA in handheld programmed in to the game.

Top Bottom