• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Microsoft's Xbox One X Benchmarks Revealed: 4K vs 900p/1080p + BC

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
(Unless I'm misunderstanding) it's awesome that the upcoming SDK update means theoretically even standard XB1 titles with no software updates will see the resolution jump.

I'm really keen on seeing how BC titles look at that stage. Some already look really solid. I'd never seen Virtual-On: OT look so good.

Yea I wanna know more about BC games too.

LOL i imagine they thank you for the concern.

LMFAO

never change gaf.

Whats the issue? We see this with every new system that comes out recently:

Switch
Pro
now XBO X.

Some having real high expectations, then being disappointed for nothing really.

pitchfork

Always kept my expectations in check right from the start, and honestly, this thing is sounding more impressive than I imagined

Just let me pre-order it already MS!!!!

EvB

I would pay more attention to the Sport part of that second sport/racing game.

I’d say it was Killer Instinct, would make sense as it is labeled DX11

Edit: that is 900p

shandy706

Forza 6 - Div X 11

Forza 6 isn't and in-house game that is in development.

I think you're missing the key words.

I would pay more attention to the Sport part of that second sport/racing game.

I'd say it was Killer Instinct, would make sense as it is labeled DX11

I don't think "Sport" and "Racing" are separate entities though. I'd assume KI would be listed as "Action" or "Fighter" anyway.

c0de

Wait a second...both of the sports/racing games are listed as 1080p/60 and "In Development" and "In House"???

Horizon is normally 30fps....so what is the second racer?

It means the engine is inhouse, not necessarily an MS engine.

MilkyJoe

Always kept my expectations in check right from the start, and honestly, this thing is sounding more impressive than I imagined

With all the added extras that have been announced, I'd go with that. We knew it was 6TF from day one.

borges

Banned
After all that fanfare of 'True 4K' and even printing '4K' on the damn GPU it's kind of baffling to see them only half deliver. They also really went cheap on the CPU which is holding this thing back something fierce.
I'm predicting that the majority of third-party AAA games run at checkerboarded resolutions. Which is fine and a huge jump over 900p, but it calls to question all the 4K chest-thumping and marketing they did beforehand.

Dont pay attention to marketing too much. Numbers are there to hve a more precise depict of what the console is capable of.

c0de

So Project Cars 2?

No biggie, it may just be PC2....and now I'm disappointed, lol.

Is PC2 DX11 anyone?

Perhaps but the first one was 900p so I Don't
doubt they are capable of improving their engine that much without major sacrifices.

borges

Banned
Whats wrong with people on Youtube? How this comment is the top 1 on the article?

e1Waq6h.png

Title I being open world and running 17fps on xbone sounds like Scalebound, except for the in house engine...

Great that such game apparently reaches higher than 30fps on xbonex though.

Ehker

Just like the PC is a single platform but different with configurations, first party developers are targeting these new machines.
Different wording same outcome in the end...reminds me of the saying there's more than one road that leads to Rome :)

Like I said, this is semantics. Games are made to work on the original systems, so the more advanced Pro/X are in their mind as far as what enhancements they can add on top of it.

If they build games with higher GPU, memory, or even CPU requirements they would find themselves making games that don't work on original hardware, and that's why they aren't "targeting these new machines" when they make games.

FZW

Ya'll acting like this thing will be hard to get or something.

You're acting like there is something wrong with wanting to preorder it. Maybe ppl find it more financially convenient to pay for it now rather than near the holiday season. Whether it's gonna be hard to get on day one or not, there is nothing wrong with being excited to buy this thing. It's a great piece of hardware.

I just don't understand the point of your comment.

jroc74

Even for people who might not be able to buy the X on release day, and have already a Pro (like me), I consider the X a very very welcome addition to the industry, mainly because I believe Sony would finally get their shit together in terms of Pro support, which atm is laughable in numerous occasions.

So yeah all in all I am pretty glad MS is going all in with the X and I actually hope it gets some nice numbers (in terms of sales)! I hope I can get one eventually. :)

One of the biggest complaints I see is down sampling. Hopefully MS causes Sony to correct this.

And another topic where I hope MS causes Sony to follow suit that I shall not mention because its a hot topic right now...lol

reKon

Banned
Whats wrong with people on Youtube? How this comment is the top 1 on the article?

e1Waq6h.png

A lot of a gaming community community is truly toxic (don't care whether people think toxic is overused. I'm exactly right). I don't know if that's just correlated with people disregarding education and more focused on spending free time gaming/internet browsing and/or if the internet communities has just poisoned their minds at a younger age.

SMH at the avatar too.

jroc74

^Thank you.

Quote me one person who's disappointed in this thread.

Quote me where me or the person I responded to said it was anyone in this thread...

Me mentioning the Switch should have been a clue.

I agree. I am really trying to internally down play the systems capabilities. Things like this make it really hard to contain how happy I am about this system's potential. I honestly can't wait to have this in my home.

jroc74

I think the bigger thing might not even be 4K but the improvements for older XBO and 360 games.

4K is kinda like the icing on the cake if those 2 things can be a home run.

After all that fanfare of 'True 4K' and even printing '4K' on the damn GPU it's kind of baffling to see them only half deliver. They also really went cheap on the CPU which is holding this thing back something fierce.
I'm predicting that the majority of third-party AAA games run at checkerboarded resolutions. Which is fine and a huge jump over 900p, but it calls to question all the 4K chest-thumping and marketing they did beforehand.

They ae running with CB with higher settings. This bench basically shows that even the most barebones port of a 900p game can almost run at 4k with less than 6% of framerate degradation.

That's actually a good thing, considering it doesn't use the new gpu features, and delta color compression alone (exposed in the newer SDKs and with dx12) offers a 7-10% performance increase based on the same data.

This is basically reaffirming that even 900p games can be easily be native 4k with the same settings on xbonex.

scently

I am going to guess that the dx11 racing game in development is F1 2017 given that the Dev stated that it's running at 4k with graphical improvements. And it was at the 1X MS booth at E3.

peppers

That 1080/60 game with a DX11 in-house engine could be F12017 since it fits with the Sport label as well as Racing, right?

Tinman dX

Banned
Ya'll acting like this thing will be hard to get or something.

I 100% think it will be hard to get. I expect it to release kinda like the Elite Controller, only so many made, test the waters kinda release. Then MS says "we didn't really expect that many people to go out and get one, it was for the high end gamers". Then they will work on getting more out there. Especially if it releases in all MS markets on the same day!

reKon

Banned
I think the bigger thing might not even be 4K but the improvements for older XBO and 360 games.

4K is kinda like the icing on the cake if those 2 things can be a home run.

To me, this is the best thing about this console. It still needs to deliver with exclusives though. The benefit of getting this means that older actual exclusives would look much better. The big question for me was - would their be future exclusives that would make me care? So far the answer is still no. And if there was a very good exclusive, there's a good chance that it would be on PC anyways. Then it becomes the decision, "spend $350 - $400 on a new GPU or buy an Xbox One X.

I'm not in situation where everyone I know is buying an Xbox, otherwise I might change my position for a game like Anthem (unless it became cross play).

leeh

Quote me where me or the person I responded to said it was anyone in this thread...

Me mentioning the Switch should have been a clue.
So you've come into a thread stating that people had their expectations to high and that's why they're disappointed, when you've just made the whole thing up?

Shit like this is what's wrong with GAF.
Fanboys don't post their disappointment, but don't forget we have tons of posts for examples, such as:
Well, its not like he's wrong, there's customisations in the CPU which we know pretty much nothing about and they used extensive profiling to remove any bottlenecks.

Its not like there's any bottlenecks in the CPU, its just the CPU is shit.

Taggen86

I really hope ms and sony invests in beefy cpus next gen and prioritizes cpu over gpu power. 4k is not worth much if most games only run in 30 fps line they do on the pro and on the x. Frame rate reduces input lag and actually makes games play better and once you are used to 60 fps, you cannot go back. Make 60 fps the standard for all games and consoles, then we can talk resolution... 1080p/30 fps made me leave console gaming for pc

jroc74

So you've come into a thread stating that people had their expectations to high and that's why they're disappointed, when you've just made the whole thing up?

Shit like this is what's wrong with GAF.

?

You are right about shit thats wrong with GAF....

I literally have no clue what you are on about right now....

leeh

?

You are right about shit thats wrong with GAF....
Why are you confused, I laid it out as clear as day.

Jroc comes in thread saying people had their expectations too high and that's why they're dissapointed.
Jroc actually made the situation up and there's not one essence of disappointment in said thread, actually quite the opposite.

I think it shows that some who bought too much into the Scorpiox being this all super powerful machine might need to check themselves a bit. These cpus will limit the pro and the x, reading this threads about games like destiny 2 going to magically double framerate on the x were crazy. Yes the x is a powerful console that will have or should have better looking titles than seen on pro but it isn't going to be night and day or 30/60 split some thought it would.
They are showing hard data that points that with the most barebones port, plus activating one of the gpu feat (delta color compression) the console can indeed run xbone 900p games at 4k with increased framerates.

This is better than they promised (they made a promise on 1080p games on xbone) and way better than most were saying is possible.

Unless people had completely unrealistic expectations like all games being 4k60 (and honestly every time I see this insane target posted, it's haters setting an unrealistic goal just to say the console is disappointing rather than people actually expecting that) there's nothing to be disappointed here. On the contrary.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not the most technologically literate guy out there, but what is it about these jaguar CPUs that "thou shalt not replace them?" It seems like they're holding back both the Pro and the XBX for compatibility reasons, but why is that the case? There's a myriad of CPUs out there in the PC space and shit just seems to work on them regardless, whether you're rocking a four year old i5 or risking setting your house on fire with some quasi-experimental i9. What makes things so different for the consoles? Honest question.

- MS/Sony don't want to start a new generation yet but they do want to appeal to people that may feel their current consoles are long in the tooth and might have one eye on a shiny new gaming PC. These refreshes keep the generation going while providing increased eye candy

- XB1/PS4 are built on APUs. One big chip that has both cpu and GPU built in. This is a good cost saving over two separate chips and provides some benefits like shared memory access etc. There is a practical limit how big an APU can be at an affordable cost to Ms/Sony - about 350 sq mm

- jaguar is tiny. It doesn't take much space on the APU. This leaves most of the space for the GPU which draws the pretty graphics. This fits well with the priority chosen by ms and Sony

- something like ryzen which is AMDs equivalent to an i5 is massive, and would mean a much smaller GPU. You could argue it would be an unbalanced design. Even though the CPU would be great, such a small GPU wouldn't benefit from that CPU

- in addition when these designs were first developed in 2012/13, AMD didn't have an APU design with ryzen - they still don't. So jaguar was pretty much the only option

jroc74

Why are you confused, I laid it out as clear as day.

Jroc comes in thread saying people had their expectations too high and that's why they're dissapointed.
Jroc actually made the situation up and there's not one essence of disappointment in said thread, actually quite the opposite.

Again, please quote me where I said it was anyone in this thread.

I never stated it was anyone in here. Ppl cant speak in general anymore?

So again...

?

I think you are a lil too invested in this.

Top Bottom