• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Mortal Kombat 1 - Xbox Series X/Series S - Hands-On First Look Tech Breakdown

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

A network stress test for Mortal Kombat 1 gave us our first opportunity to get to grips with the game running on Xbox Series consoles - and it's looking very impressive indeed. Here's John to share his initial impressions on the new game. Was Geoff Keighley right when he described it as 'literally insane'...?

adamsapple

- Network test done on Xbox Series S|X
- Game is using UE4, not UE5
- Straight line (without any cuts) from menu to battle, it makes transitions seamless, fast and smooth

- Series X: Native 4K with a slight window of DRS (they don't say how much)
- Series S: Cut-scenes, pre battle animations: 1440p, but drops to around 1080p when fighting
- Non-gameplay things like replays, pre-match cinematics etc are capped at 30 FPS. Game play is rock solid 60 FPS
- Neither console drops from the 60/30 split in DF's testing

- Character texture work praised for having very high level of detail.
- Effect work like blood etc also praised
- Animations are still more or less MK11
- Per pixel motion blur retained
- Background items, material quality and lighting etc a big improvement over MK11

Last edited:

Banned
still looks clunky af, like all Netherrealm games. but they got the visuals down for sure.

what would have been interesting here is if they gave the Series S FSR2 performance mode with a 4K target resolution. (which would be 1080p base resolution)
since the Series X version seemingly runs without reconstruction, that would have been an interesting version difference between the two consoles that we didn't see happen yet. both targeting the same resolution, just in different ways.

would have been kinda cool to see tbh, even tho I'm not a fan of FSR2

Last edited:

Calverz

Gold Member

A network stress test for Mortal Kombat 1 gave us our first opportunity to get to grips with the game running on Xbox Series consoles - and it's looking very impressive indeed. Here's John to share his initial impressions on the new game. Was Geoff Keighley right when he described it as 'literally insane'...?

Any exclusives Geoff gets are “literally insane”!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
still looks clunky af, like all Netherrealm games. but they got the visuals down for sure.

what would have been interesting here is if they gave the Series S FSR2 performance mode with a 4K target resolution. (which would be 1080p base resolution)
since the Series X version seemingly runs without reconstruction, that would have been an interesting version difference between the two consoles that we didn't see happen yet. both targeting the same resolution, just in different ways.

would have been kinda cool to see tbh, even tho I'm not a fan of FSR2
Yeah, their animations are pretty shit. They could never get that right.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Thats probably the best cloth texturing ive ever seen in a game.

Im looking forward to seeing the other models even if i suck at MK......but the storymode is always meaty.

Hard disagree. MK9 was a game changer. And they have gone from strength to strength.
People who dont like MKs animation style will never like it.
Dont even bother engaging.
Its like people who hate Tekkens combo/juggling system or people who hate Gran Tourismo cuz you drive cars instead of shoot laser beams.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

The texture work on Kitana's outfit is incredible, even zoomed in like in his example. Just absurdly realistic cloth and stitching.

adamsapple

something about the way it moves is just garbage

Legacy animations we're using to seeing on much simpler models now on models of the highest fidelity. I guess its a kind of an uncanny valley effect.

The texture work on Kitana's outfit is incredible, even zoomed in like in his example. Just absurdly realistic cloth and stitching.

Yeah, intricate fabric detail is hard and always impressive to see in games.

Last edited:

CGNoire

The word "Impressive" means nothing anymore when coming from DF. Everything now a days is Impressive according to them. They just exist to generate hype now and are no different than modern game "journalists".

Last edited:

CGNoire

MKs animation style
Its not an animation "style" its just shit tier animation and hit reactions period. There is no way you all would be saying this if they had actually addresed it. If that happened you would be celebrating the new animation quality from the rooftops. Stop settling. No wonder they didnt bother fixing it.

Last edited:

Banned
Its not an animation "style" its just shit tier animation and hit reactions period. There is no way you all would be saying this if they had actually addresed it. If that happened you celebrating the new animation quality from the rooftops. Stop settling. No wonder they didnt bother fixing it.

it's the most popular fighting game series, so yeah, they don't really care... I mean they care a little, we have come some way from how absolutely disgusting Injustice 1 and MKX were animated.

CGNoire

Legacy animations we're using to seeing on much simpler models now on models of the highest fidelity. I guess its a kind of an uncanny valley effect.
Yep. Animation quality always needs to exceed the rendering quality of the characters to keep out of the uncanny valley.

Black_Stride

Its not an animation "style" its just shit tier animation and hit reactions period. There is no way you all would be saying this if they had actually addresed it. If that happened you would be celebrating the new animation quality from the rooftops. Stop settling. No wonder they didnt bother fixing it.

You think they arent doing this on purpose and its some lack of skill or something that has them making their animations look like bad mocap from the 90s??

CGNoire

You think they arent doing this on purpose and its some lack of skill or something that has them making their animations look like bad mocap from the 90s??
I think its 100% budget related. Although you could say if they had a higher budget they would probably higher better animators.

Black_Stride

I think its 100% budget related. Although you could say if they had a higher budget they would probably higher better animators.
Mortal Kombat........under funded?

Wait you think their animators shit?
I take it you havent played the storymode or seen any of their animators portfolios?

You really gonna tell me you think this ⬇ guy with 15+ years of animation experience isnt animating this game like this on purpose but just needs to get better at animation?

People who dont understand game dev never cease to amaze me.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The word "Impressive" means nothing anymore when coming from DF. Everything now a days is Impressive according to them. They just exist to generate hype now and are no different than modern game "journalists".

If only there was a video where they go on to detail why they consider it impressive

CGNoire

If only there was a video where they go on to detail why they consider it impressive
That doesnt make the word mean anything since they usual follow up by pointing out the most outdated or pedestrian improvements thus not impressive at all.

Banned
Mortal Kombat........under funded?

Wait you think their animators shit?
I take it you havent played the storymode or seen any of their animators portfolios?

You really gonna tell me you think this ⬇ guy with 15+ years of animation experience isnt animating this game like this on purpose but just needs to get better at animation?

People who dont understand game dev never cease to amaze me.

wait, this guy is actually promoting himself with those dogshit fight animations from MK and Injustice? holy fuck 🤣🤣🤣
that Supergirl combo in the first video is so shit, god damn.

Ozriel

M$FT
That doesnt make the word mean anything since they usual follow up by pointing out the most outdated or pedestrian improvements thus not impressive at all.

It looks visually great, and runs very very well. Seamless transition from menus to gameplay + top tier lighting and textures.

It’s OK not to like Mortal Kombat, but the game code seems to run impressively on consoles.

Banned
It looks visually great, and runs very very well. Seamless transition from menus to gameplay + top tier lighting and textures.

It’s OK not to like Mortal Kombat, but the game code seems to run impressively on consoles.

it has SSR tho... which is sad to see.

Black_Stride

wait, this guy is actually promoting himself with those dogshit fight animations from MK and Injustice? holy fuck 🤣🤣🤣
that Supergirl combo in the first video is so shit, god damn.

You might want look up HoMs portfolio before laughing.......they are doing this style on purpose, its not a lack of skill.

Banned
You might want look up HoMs portfolio before laughing.......they are doing this style on purpose, its not a lack of skill.

it literally is a lack of skill if the attack in a video game feels like trash due to clunky animations that don't convey force or direction of an attack in a way that feels satisfying.

there is no way this is on purpose, Mortal Kombat is not the only game with this issue, many western developed action games suffer from this, and have been for decades.

many western animators simply do not know how to do proper attack animations and corresponding reaction animations for the other character.

and the animations in Netherrealm's games have improved over time, they went from ungodly amounts of shit, to a state where they're tolerable... still bad, but tolerable.

the issue is simply that the combat designers want a specific attack that hits in a specific way and needs to be performed in a specific timeframe, and that's where the animators working for Netherrealm's games completely shit the bed in the past.

the quality difference of x-ray attacks or fatalities compared to normal attack animations during actual combat is gigantic.
and it's clear why. x-rays and fatalities do not have the limitations that attack and reaction animations have during combat.
that punch that character XYZ does during an X-Ray attack has no specific way it needs to hit, no specific timeframe, and no other gameplay and balance related restrictions, and so the animators have a way easier time.

it's something completely different animating a non-interactive sequence with no timing limitations compared to a light punch that has to be an overhead, 1m range, has a wind-up of 3 frames, a hitbox of 4 frames, a follow through of 6 frames and also needs to be easy to follow during zoomed out combat.

a good video game animator needs to be able to do both, and that has not been the case in Netherrealm's games yet.

if they did this on purpose then they are literally making bad fighting games with terrible visual feedback on purpose. while also somehow making well animated non-interactive special attack animations on purpose.

Last edited:

Banned
The SSR artifacts were quite noticeable imo

SSR in a fighting game should legit get called out each time. there is literally no reason for it to be there in such an extremely controlled environment where planar reflections or perspective corrected cubemaps should be easy as hell to add.

Mr Branding

Looks amazing, will double dip on this one for sure.
Excited I Like It GIF by LA Clippers

Top Bottom