• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Performance analysis: inFamous: Second Son

Game is a beaut, no doubt about it. The only time I truly had any framerate issues was when I performed a neon karma bomb with about 3 APCs around and a total of 18 enemies. It sorted itself out, though, by the time I regained control over Delsin, so I can't really complain.

Timu

How do you do that? Snap shots in iSS without the HUD, I meant.
Well a capture card is required because the PS4's Share button is too slow to be able to catch it in time. Well, you press options and just before the option screen shows up take a screenshot within a split second as the hud will disappear, here are 2 I took with this method:

inqGZF4dvNeBt.png

ibs5lmnWwPh6h5.png

aY227

AFAIK, BF4 on old consoles was more like medium settings, or at least that's what I remember BF3 being specced like. Maybe medium/low in case of BF4? Also, I have no doubt that 8800 is going to yield better results than old consoles, but it just seems like (could be subjective, I admit) that the yield came to be less than early on. The example you gave doesn't seem as much better than consoles as opposed to older games where it could just blow them away, but still, it's better, and that's a valid point.
I dont know specifics of BF 4, but BF 3 was running on past gen consoles on low settings + very low quality SSAO and FXAA.
I dunno how exactly 8800GTS handled games two years into console life cycle, but it generally has two times more flops than X360/PS3 GPUs and 900p, average 40fps, medium settings in BF 4 probably requires two times more flops than past gen consoles settings equivalent. So even though there were better optimizations on consoles, PC GPU didnt lag behind the theoretical performance gaf, which means that hardware gains were marginal through the console generation and whole focus was about making more efficient algorithms or hardware optimization were helping PC configurations in similar degree.

Btw about blowing current consoles and pc specs. Its not really a topic for this thread, but in reality it generally focuses on paying more for a GPU, like 150$ to get really big flops leap. Sure there are overprices gpus out there, but they generally do not maketter, because the difference between 200$ and 400$ is huge, where between 400$ and 1000$ is marginal.

skybald

The only time I had the framerate drop was on purpose (because i was trying to break the game) and when I used neon karma streak in he asian market on the second island.

Framerate drops are aplenty if you hop on one of the monorail trains. That and during some of the superpowers or whatever, but those are scripted non-interactive so the framerate doesn't affect gameplay in that case.

DOWN

Banned
I wonder if this game will be like the Gamecube's Rogue Leader: basically a tech showcase that no game could ever touch again during the life of the system.

Absolutely not. It highly resembles the underwhelming inFamous 2 skeleton, and the real stunning effects are the lighting and reflections layered in. There's a lot to be done, especially for non-open world games.

USC-fan

Banned
Game reminds me of gears so much. Just blow away with how great this game looks. Also very fun to play.

Its a mix of gears and crackdown! By far the best looking game i have played and its a launch window game....just crazy.

Cannot wait to see what the big sony teams will do with this hardware.

Dragon

Banned
The only time I had the framerate drop was on purpose (because i was trying to break the game) and when I used neon karma streak in he asian market on the second island.

Yeah I used the neon karma streak and killed 13 or 14 people which then blew up a bunch of cars and stuff and the game did not appreciate that.

McFadge

Has anybody else noticed a fair amount of ghosting in the game? I notice it regularly in Infamous Second Son, but haven't seen it in any other games I play (might need to go play some again in case a TV setting has changed or something). Have a feeling it might be my setup though since nobody else has mentioned it. Very noticeable on fast spinning objects and the (power spoiler)
wings of the demons

Sometimes I don't know whether you are just taking the piss! Looks quite bad?!

Take a guess, the game that he named is a 900p linear game that chugs along at a sub-30 fps framerate. Further there is no crazy levels of destruction or crazy-ass powers or complex effects to render, just a sword, gouts of blood and dismemberment, tells you which game is more technically accomplished and which console is more powerful (it should be quite apparent by now but I see that MisterX has some of these buffoons in thrall)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light, and Arma 3 are the only three that come to mind immediately admittedly (which is why I pointed out that yeah it sure as hell is up there, in those words - also BF4 on PC could certainly give it a run for its money) but Crysis 3 still hasn't been beat.

but hey I'll just duck out of this thread because I'm enjoying the game too much to threadshit with PC comparisons anyway and it does look so damn good
Crysis 3 is the only one that I find comparable. Last Light and Arma 3 simply don't come close.

The move to physically based rendering in an open world environment with a heavy reliance on screen-space reflections and incredibly complex particle systems really push it to the top. It's simply employing more advanced rendering techniques than any of those games.

They're all beautiful games though.

Ryse does look quite amazing. It also has Crytek behind it. Meanwhile Infamous looks quite bad especially in the day, flat ugly looking buildings and geometry.

You're so insanely biased towards PC its not even funny at this point. You stated that "sucker punch continues to be amazing at making bullshots", and now that you realized these aren't bullshots, you're calling it "quite bad especially in the day, flat ugly looking buildings and geometry"?

Child, please. Your posting habit stinks.

NBtoaster

The lighting, dof and wetness come together extremely well. This might be the first next gen game that looks better than modded Skyrim.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
30 fps is 'good performance'?
For me, it's all about consistency (which this game does not have).

30 fps, when locked, is acceptable though I will always prefer 60 fps or higher on capable displays (though higher framerates are compromised on modern displays compared to the CRT days). Frame ordering is what is most critical.

With a 30 fps cap Second Son would feel very consistent while this 30-45 fps situation we have now feels much worse.

If this were a PC game I would probably engage a 30 fps limiter. With PC games, I find that I'm willing to sacrifice some visual quality for 60 fps but, if the sacrifices are too great, I simply drop to 30.

With Thief, for instance, I was actually having trouble holding a perfect 60 fps and I found it rather irritating. So, I simply locked it down to 30 fps and suddenly I could enjoy 4x SSAA on top of maximum settings without ever skipping a frame. Same way I played Crysis 3 and Last Light, in fact. Both could be maxed out on my system provided I limited to 30 fps.

Still, open world games last generation were notorious for dipping WELL below 30 fps regularly. Second Son delivers some of the finest visuals we've seen to date on ANY platform and manages to avoid dipping under 30 fps 99% of the time. With a framerate limiter, the game would basically operate at a locked 30 fps and feel quite consistent as a result. Thanks to the high quality post process work it would still feel great in motion.

KORNdoggy

definately the best looking current gen title so far. to think this is just 4 months since launch has me super excited to see what both sucker punch and the other staple sony teams can do in a year or 4...minds will be blown.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
For me, it's all about consistency (which this game does not have).

30 fps, when locked, is acceptable though I will always prefer 60 fps or higher on capable displays (though higher framerates are compromised on modern displays compared to the CRT days). Frame ordering is what is most critical.

With a 30 fps cap Second Son would feel very consistent while this 30-45 fps situation we have now feels much worse.

If this were a PC game I would probably engage a 30 fps limiter. With PC games, I find that I'm willing to sacrifice some visual quality for 60 fps but, if the sacrifices are too great, I simply drop to 30.

With Thief, for instance, I was actually having trouble holding a perfect 60 fps and I found it rather irritating. So, I simply locked it down to 30 fps and suddenly I could enjoy 4x SSAA on top of maximum settings without ever skipping a frame. Same way I played Crysis 3 and Last Light, in fact. Both could be maxed out on my system provided I limited to 30 fps.

Still, open world games last generation were notorious for dipping WELL below 30 fps regularly. Second Son delivers some of the finest visuals we've seen to date on ANY platform and manages to avoid dipping under 30 fps 99% of the time. With a framerate limiter, the game would basically operate at a locked 30 fps and feel quite consistent as a result. Thanks to the high quality post process work it would still feel great in motion.
If AMD figures out how to do FreeSync on the consoles things could get really interesting.

coldfoot

Banned
Sony need to implement something like Gsync for PS4, run HDMI with funky refresh values, settings just like NV does displayport, make it compatible with only Sony TV's and boom...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Has anybody else noticed a fair amount of ghosting in the game? I notice it regularly in Infamous Second Son, but haven't seen it in any other games I play (might need to go play some again in case a TV setting has changed or something). Have a feeling it might be my setup though since nobody else has mentioned it. Very noticeable on fast spinning objects and the (power spoiler)
wings of the demons

It's the AA method. It's a lot more subtle than with other forms of temporal AA, I remember it was incredibly distracting in Halo Reach and Crysis 2, but it does show up on destroyed DUP structures and some of the effects.

Leb

If AMD figures out how to do FreeSync on the consoles things could get really interesting.

If AMD has actually figured out a way to make this work on existing consumer display technology (outside of laptops) without requiring new hardware, that would, indeed, be something.

I can't see how that's likely, though, as I can't really see nVidia spending all the time and money on R&D if there were some simple trick that could be achieved in software.

Crysis 3 is the only one that I find comparable. Last Light and Arma 3 simply don't come close.

The move to physically based rendering in an open world environment with a heavy reliance on screen-space reflections and incredibly complex particle systems really push it to the top. It's simply employing more advanced rendering techniques than any of those games.

They're all beautiful games though.
Maybe with Last Light you've got a point but don't judge Arma 3 by it's cover. The technology behind Arma 3 is pretty nuts.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If AMD has actually figured out a way to make this work on existing consumer display technology (outside of laptops) without requiring new hardware, that would, indeed, be something.

I can't see how that's likely, though, as I can't really see nVidia spending all the time and money on R&D if there were some simple trick that could be achieved in software.
Not happening. I could see future gaming monitors supporting the feature though.

molnizzle

I would buy a Bravia TV if it included this functionality with PS4. Like, on day one. I would pre-order it if I could.

Make it happen Sony.

Top Bottom