• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

To each their own, but you're really only buying the Pro for (hopefully) a better gaming experience on one game?

He isn't the only one. BF1 is the only game I plan on playing for a long time and will be more than worth the upgrade if the pro delivers what I think it can.

If GameSpot just put up a video of the normal PS4 version of BF1 running on the Pro... then wow.

Shame on Gamespot for putting that video up when no pro patch is out yet.

icespide

Banned
PS4 Pro is pushing journalists technical literacy to the test. DF is the only one I really care about on this matter

Please excuse the butt shot. These look like the same quality as the old shots where even PC at 1440p looked sharper.

Looks like 1440p-1620p ballpark. Feels off to suggest its native 4k like or close.
0Oec.png

Latimer

Banned
Please excuse the butt shot. These look like the same quality as the old shots where even PC at 1440p looked sharper.

Looks like 1440p-1620p ballpark. Feels off to suggest its native 4k like or close.
0Oec.png

I think people were saying it's hard to tell from normal viewing distances, which of course blurs all detail in general.

Did people forget to mention that the PC version they're showing comparisons for are running at max settings while the PS4 Pro is checkerboard 4K but with regular console settings?

0Oec.png

Well yeah. Isnt it known that ROTR for the PS4 Pro uses the equivalent of mid/high texture settings of a PC version?

Trace

Banned

0Oec.png

That's not resolution, that's texture quality.

I think you're overreacting just a bit.....DF mentions how the pitch is noticeable at times, but another site calls it the "Quietest PS4 to date", so honestly i think this is going to vary based on a ton of factors. Quite frankly, i think this issue needs to be fully explored by one of these review sites and i'm surprised that no one has despite the fact that they've had this console for days or weeks to test it out.

I think we need to wait for more details on this before freaking out.

I just don't want to gamble again on the same premise as earlier. One console might be quiet while the other one is loud. That's how it seemed to be with the original model.

My gaming area is very close to my 2+ year twins bedroom and the PS4 kept waking them up every now and then. Sold it in anticipation for the pro model, because I was sure they made that thing quiet. Really disappointed if that's not the case.

Nevyr

Banned
I just don't want to gamble again on the same premise as earlier. One console might be quiet while the other one is loud. That's how it seemed to be with the original model.

My gaming area is very close to my 2+ year twins bedroom and the PS4 kept waking them up every now and then. Sold it in anticipation for the pro model, because I was sure they made that thing quiet. Really disappointed if that's not the case.

That sounds like a faulty ps4, I am guessing you were using headset so you couldn't hear it?

Volume on tv alone always been louder than any fan I ever had in any console except my 360, I guess.

I'm watching the Uncharted 4 video from the OP, and honestly, without a side by side, I can't tell how it's better. It looks the same to me. What doesn't help is the aliasing in the shadows either. I'm sure it is better, but without the point of reference, I can't really notice it.

Mhh, I kinda expected a decibel table to be included.
According to the other thread, DF's 55db measurement is 6db less than they measured original PS4. That would be about half the loudness. (Though DF said their Pro testing wasn't thorough yet.)

Fisty

Got money to burn?

I don't think there is any doubt that SSD will improve the experience, the question is how much and is the cost justified.

Just like on orig ps4 ( where it was not worth it imho )

There were cuts to loading times by as much as 50% in some cases, Bloodborne especially benefitted from SSD greatly. Boot-up was also quite a bit faster too. Overall it was a modest boost, but now with sata3 it might be a little better

There isn't a BF1 patch? So people are pretending to notice a difference? Or just doing it for clicks?

I think people think they're seeing a difference because they're assuming it's better without knowing if or how it is. It's a placebo effect. I've had a theory that most people wouldn't actually know if it was better or not and just assume/think it is just because they're told it's running on a Pro.

Jacob4815

I wanted to play Rise of Tomb Raider in 1080p Enhanced Mode, but that 1080p supersampling (4k High Resolution mode) in the DF video is gorgeous .. sharpness and AA at god level... now I don't know what to choose in my first run ...

Aalvi

If the game has a pro patch enabling 4k

Is super sampling as simple as plugging pro in a 1080p but picking to do 4k anyway effectively super sampling it?

Or does it have to be a separate patch and option?

So I ask this because FFXv is confirmed to have a pro patch with 4k, and I want to know of that means it's super sampled for my 1080p tv?

This will determine if I buy it day one or not.

That sounds like a faulty ps4, I am guessing you were using headset so you couldn't hear it?

Volume on tv alone always been louder than any fan I ever had in any console except my 360, I guess.

Had two different models. Both made just as much noise. My friend has a PS4 and it was nothing like the ones I had. You could hear it through the headphones and it was clearly audible from ten meters away at night time. Hair dryer is a perfect comparison. I played a lot of Last Of Us multiplayer and that was the worst offender.

Fisty

I think people think they're seeing a difference because they're assuming it's better without knowing if or how it is. It's a placebo effect. I've had a theory that most people wouldn't actually know if it was better or not and just assume/think it is just because they're told it's running on a Pro.

Another thing to consider is DICE have probably already rolled Pro updates into the game, possibly even before gold master. With a dynamic scaling set up it might be tough to notice differences if it caps at 1080p though.

Any game that has a Pro patch and renders above 1080p will be supersampled. And since the point of the Pro is 4K, your damn well guaranteed that 95% of those games will be rendering above 1080p.

Beautiful.

So how do you go about enabling pro mode. I wasn't clear if it happens automatically, for that matter how will the game know to super sample?

I apologize if I've missed it, but I only see it mentioned for Tomb Raider. Will Uncharted 4 had a 60 fps mode in addition to 4K mode?

Nevyr

Banned
Had two different models. Both made just as much noise. My friend has a PS4 and it was nothing like the ones I had. You could hear it through the headphones and it was clearly audible from ten meters away at night time. Hair dryer is a perfect comparison. I played a lot of Last Of Us multiplayer and that was the worst offender.

Yikes, sorry, better luck with next one =)

Flandy

Why aren't more games using checkerbox rendering? Judging from the rotr impressions checkberbox sounds like the best way to go?

So is the Gamespot Battlefield video a confirmed hoax /idiot move?

I didn't really notice any difference but put it down to YouTube compression and the fact I haven't played single player since release day?

(I did think the smoke looked better from the flamethrower but that's probably a single /multi difference)

Top Bottom