• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Project CARS Performance Analysis (PS4/XB1)

Huggers

Wouldn't it have been sensible to make the PS4 version 900p as well? Would have made the frame rate much more stable you'd think

Gassolini

Neo Member
In what universe is a stable frame-rate not important? Whether or not gamers know or care about it. They will notice it. Especially in a game designed for enthusiasts like this.
I'm not saying frame rate is unimportant. I'm a sucker for high and stable framerate myself. I just gave you the hint why reviewers don't base their score on that one metric alone, and rightly so.

Percy

Banned
lol. Console versions not sounding too hot (Most especially on XB1... that performance is... yikes).

Oh well, at the very least it still has a better framerate than Driveclub or Forza Horizon 2 even at it's worst >:)

Will pick up on PC.

MaLDo

Seeing lots of double digit differences in the stress test video, also some pretty obscene tearing...

4CDrzpt.png

ugQ897p.png

WkonVDj.png

mQy0r88.png

Framerate is similar in both consoles. Your xbox shots have more cars on screen.

T.O.P

Banned
So it's

PS4 = Bad
X1 = Very Bad
AMD optimization = fuckin afwul

I wanted to buy this game badly, so far it's a big NOPE

Le Mans with 40+ cars in the rain holding around 30 fps on consoles is actually impressive for me.

Those race settings even wreck some decent gaming PCs.

Hell, I need to have my i5-2500K @ 4.4 + GTX970 run on console graphic settings @ 1080p to get a full grid at Le Mans in the rain to run at a locked 60 fps. No joke.

I'm not saying frame rate is unimportant. I'm giving you the hint why reviewers don't base their score solely on it.......

But the previous poster was just stating that reviewers should take this into account when reviewing it. If you were reviewing a fighting game and it dropped frames to this level I would damn sure expect to know that in the review.

is this with or without Day 1 patch?

I might get it for PS4 and if I am serious enough double dip when I have a good enough PC.

I think they will continue working on this, it sucks, but this is under extreme conditions.

ElNino

In what universe is a stable frame-rate not important? Whether or not gamers know or care about it. They will notice it. Especially in a game designed for enthusiasts like this.
No one ever said it wasn't important, but it's also not always necessary to be locked 60fps in order to enjoy the game.

For some people? Sure, I guess it is but not everyone.

I appreciate what SMS are doing with this game and so I'll buy it (already have) and enjoy the game that it is, with all of it's faults.

Hell, one of my favourite games thus far this gen is The Golf Club because I'm an avid golfer who appreciates what they have done even though the performance can be quite poor on the consoles.

RawNuts

SMS seems to be pretty open about community suggestions and has commented that they may add an option to turn off that AA solution on the PS4 to avoid the ghosting, so if the community is vocal enough about a 30fps frame lock option on consoles, maybe they'll consider that as well.

BriGuy

So at its worst, or still runs at a higher frame rate than DC? I mean, yeah, it's still something of a letdown, but it doesn't sound unplayable by any stretch of the imagination.

Unless the screen tearing is really bad. I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't see the videos.

Hmm, I was hoping PS4 version would have better performance.
Could pick it up on pc but can't really see it getting much playtime there next to AC and iracing.

Let's hope it gets better after a couple patches.

What a visual and performance disaster. PROTIP: Don't advertise your game as being 60fps when it can't stay there. And holy shit, why do some developers still think screen tearing is acceptable?

leng jai

So at its worst, or still runs at a higher frame rate than DC? I mean, yeah, it's still something of a letdown, but it doesn't sound unplayable by any stretch of the imagination.

Unless the screen tearing is really bad. I'm on mobile at the moment so I can't see the videos.

It's the variations that make it worse, and DC feels pretty good at 30fps.

Looks like the PC version is definitely the way to go.

Kane1345

Will pick this up on PC. I still think it does OK considering its in the rain with a lot of cars where performance is affected the most.

Midn1ght

SMS seems to be pretty open about community suggestions and has commented that they may add an option to turn off that AA solution on the PS4 to avoid the ghosting, so if the community is vocal enough about a 30fps frame lock option on consoles, maybe they'll consider that as well.

I would totally go for a 30fps lock option for cases where the inconsistent framerate is too bothersome for me. I think this option should become mandatory for games targeting 60fps on consoles and failing to maintain it at acceptable level. Is that something difficult to implement in a game?

Gassolini

Neo Member
But the previous poster was just stating that reviewers should take this into account when reviewing it. If you were reviewing a fighting game and it dropped frames to this level I would damn sure expect to know that in the review.
Some do take it into account, but it's most definitely not the ONE important thing when reviewing a game. "Skii" was wondering why the game can get good scores even if the framerate varies. As is evident from reviews, that is not the most important metric to the gamers and reviewers out here. Us sim-nuts obsess about framerates (and other stuff) - meanwhile, out there in the real world, people enjoy other aspects of games as well. And so a game is reviewed based on overall enjoyment and performance.

Omni

Sounds like a mess. Having such a varying framerate would be incredibly disorienting. A no buy for me, I think.

And with that I'm going to have to pass on this game. They should have done whatever it took to get that framerate stable and to get rid of that screen tearing, both of which are things that are very important for a racer, more so than most genres imo.

A shame because I was looking forward to my first PS4 sim. :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

Noobcraft

Top Bottom