• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry PS4 Pro Launch Coverage Begins

SickBoy

EDITED:

Fan noise?

(55dB appeared to be their max when they tested sound on the Slim, as well... will be curious to see what they have to say after further testing.

Fan noise :(

(55dB appeared to be their max when they tested sound on the Slim, as well... but it's probably a bad sign that their early impression is "closer to a launch PS4.")

They're saying

In terms of the acoustic performance of the Pro, it has much more in common with the c-chassis PS4 than the Slim

C-Chassis is not launch PS4. It's way quieter than launch PS4.

valkyre

I have a question. I have a 1080p display.

Say I get a PS4 Pro, and I get a game that has framerate problems (yes I know it is not supposed to happen but we already have an example like DF said) when playing at 4K.

When a game is downsampled from 4k to 1080p does it retain any framerate issues it has when displaying to 4k? And is this downsampling to 1080p forced? To be more clear, if an "X" game plays worse on Pro, can I simply run it as base PS4 does? Without downsampling?

I know it sounds crazy, but if a title has worse framerate it is nice to have the option to run it like PS4 does.

Tinúviel

Tell me that jet engine is gone i want at least cuh-1200 levels of quietness.If it still has that my og ps4 cuh-1100 fan noise fuck that shit.

Say I get a PS4 Pro, and I get a game that has framerate problems (yes I know it is not supposed to happen but we already have an example like DF said) when playing at 4K.

When a game is downsampled from 4k to 1080p does it retain any framerate issues it has when displaying to 4k? And is this downsampling to 1080p forced? To be more clear, if an "X" game plays worse on Pro, can I simply run it as base PS4 does? Without downsampling?

I know it sounds crazy, but if a title has worse framerate it is nice to have the option to run it like PS4 does.

A Pro mode game cannot perform worse than base ps4 mode, iirc.

darkwing

Tinúviel;223357031 said:
Tell me that jet engine is gone i want at least cuh-1200 levels of quietness.If it still has that my og ps4 cuh-1100 fan noise fuck that shit.

DF is saying it is has C-chassis level, which is quieter than launch PS4s but they are saying it has a different pitch

SickBoy

They're saying

C-Chassis is not launch PS4. It's way quieter than launch PS4.

Ah, my bad. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I've been following the revisions, but not so closely that I could name them outside of "Slim" and "Not Slim." I wish they would idiot-proof their copy a bit more :)

Kinda back on the wagon (I don't have a 4K TV, nor is the 1080P upgrade absolutely essential to me, but strongly considering one due to trade-in deals and my frustration with launch system noise).

NXGamer

From my info thus far and devs I have spoken to then no, forcing 1080 output will still just downscale with the Pro overhead renders. A mode would need to be added on the console to FORCE base operation. But I have some ideas and options to test with my review on the 10th and beyond.

Ah, my bad. Thanks for pointing out my mistake. I wish they would idiot-proof their text a little more, because while I've been paying attention to the revisions, I could never properly name them.

Kinda back on the wagon (I don't have a 4K TV, nor is the 1080P upgrade absolutely essential to me, but strongly considering one due to trade-in deals and my frustration with launch system noise).

Yeah, that's fair. Relatively few people know this.

Kyoufu

I find it rather strange that DF's initial videos didn't include a noise test. It's better to show than tell when it comes to system noise.

StaSeb

Did you guys find any impression/info about the effect on VR-titles? PlayStation VR could benefit a lot from better graphics and I wonder how games like driveclub VR profit from the additional gpu-power. If the Pro does indeed boost VR-graphics and -performance, It could be relevant for me.

valkyre

From my info thus far and devs I have spoken to then no, forcing 1080 output will still just downscale with the Pro overhead renders. A mode would need to be added on the console to FORCE base operation. But I have some ideas and options to test with my review on the 10th and beyond.

So the Mantis game is doomed until its patched for Pro owners? Even for those with 1080p screens? I mean even if you run the game on a 4k screen and on a 1080p screen you get the exact same framerate performance?

I know that this game is an exemption just trying to understand the tech.

Wereroku

So the Mantis game is doomed until its patched for Pro owners? Even for those with 1080p screens? I mean even if you run the game on a 4k screen and on a 1080p screen you get the exact same framerate performance?

Since the performance on the Pro has to match the original at the least we won't really see games getting to 4K that don't have the overhead to run there. Most devs will probably use checkerboard anyway which seems to get a nice boost without killing the framerate. However as we have seen with Infamous and Nioh some devs will give us a performance mode that uses the extra power to boost the framerate.

Guys we need one thread for this, similar discussions are happening across 3 threads and jumping between them makes it hard to follow.

NXGamer

Much of the early stages like this are in flux, feedback from devs,community will help the agile process for updates. As it stands yes your statement is true from my understanding to this point, If that remains true? We will need to see, sorry I cannot add more at this time.

valkyre

Guys we need one thread for this, similar discussions are happening across 3 threads and jumping between them makes it hard to follow.

This... yes please...

I had to post my question in 2 threads. Its ridiculous how people keep making the same threads over and over.

Much of the early stages like this are in flux, feedback from devs,community will help the agile process for updates. As it stands yes your statement is true from my understanding to this point, If that remains true? We will need to see, sorry I cannot add more at this time.

Its ok man, I think that with what we have atm its normal to still have questions. And I think that we are correct to assume this regarding my question. Thanks.

55db does sound a lot regardless of the pitch or tone. Even power hungry graphics cards are in the low 40s. 150w cards are usually high 30s.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I would think that's a needed approach because I've been watching some 4k youtube videos from gaming websites and the compression can still be really awful at times. I hope gamersyde has their videos lined up because their quality will be essential here.

We just got our 4k capture card, but won't get the pro until tomorrow. I'm not sure we'll be able to do any capture right away though, 4k is rather crazy in terms of processing and disk space/speed required.

Does Uncharted 4 have any PS4 Pro enhancements for 1080p TV sets (e.g. supersampling)?

It will downsample from 1440p which will result in a definite IQ boost :)

It actually seems like Uncharted 4 is better for 1080p displays since it only upscales to 4K native dislays instead of checkboarding. However, that is my assumption.

Pizza

I haven't let myself buy into the console launche hype since the Wii, but I'm shitting my pants

Edit: shit forgot to write the on topic part, I'm sort of disappointed that there won't be some great catch-all magic framerate fix, but that's honestly fine. As long as there aren't slowdowns. I'll take a solid 30 over a fluctuating 60 any day

It'll be cool to plug in the 4K tv whenever I can afford it and everything will suddenly look mad decent

sn0man

Well, with only one Pro system, it was too busy being used elsewhere. More testing will come.

dark10x, I have a DF Retro hardware review idea for you: Sony hardware improvements to existing titles.

1.) How did the PS2s filtering and loading speeds improve or not improve PS1 titles? Obviously compatibility issues would be interesting as well.
2.) How did the original PS3 do at upgrading PS1 and PS2 titles as well.

3a.) How does the PS4 Pro do with upgrading existing titles. I'm speaking of any noticeable improvements to games without patches, or games with dynamic resolution (e.g., Doom, Titanfall 2).
3b.) Finally, which games support PS4 Pro right out of the box? (This is very important for those physical collectors as it seems the majority of games need a download update. Worse, the improvements aren't tied to a system update but are title specific. A disappointing decision by Sony and hopefully something they rectify with future PS system updates. All this could be touched on in a DF Retro video.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dark10x, I have a DF Retro hardware review idea for you: Sony hardware improvements to existing titles.

1.) How did the PS2s filtering and loading speeds improve or not improve PS1 titles? Obviously compatibility issues would be interesting as well.
2.) How did the original PS3 do at upgrading PS1 and PS2 titles as well.

3a.) How does the PS4 Pro do with upgrading existing titles. I'm speaking of any noticeable improvements to games without patches, or games with dynamic resolution (e.g., Doom, Titanfall 2).
3b.) Finally, which games support PS4 Pro right out of the box? (This is very important for those physical collectors as it seems the majority of games need a download update. Worse, the improvements aren't tied to a system update but are title specific. A disappointing decision by Sony and hopefully something they rectify with future PS system updates. All this could be touched on in a DF Retro video.)

Throw in same-model revisions too. I think ps one has a chip revision that changed the quality of the filtering or something like that

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
sn0man said:
It would be an interesting thing to compare PS2 revisions too - 70000 onwards switched to complete PS1 emulation, which affected performance profile to a degree. Hell go the whole way with how PS1 does on PS3,PSP and Vita too ;P

On a related note - I don't have much hope since Sony never said a word on this - but does anyone know if PSPro upgrades PS2 emulation to 4k? (or anything higher really - the 960p on regular PS4 could use a bit of an upgrade).

Top Bottom