• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 - DF Tech Review - The Next Level in Real-Time Visuals

DanielG165

So, can we realistically expect this kind of output in more complex current gen games where combat makes 40 or 60 kind of necessary? Or is this more of a tease but possible in the next-gen future for those games?
We’ll see, but Ninja Theory pushed the visuals as far as they could physically go without really having to concern themselves over anything else, despite there being moments of genuine action and set pieces in the game. With larger scale titles that have to allocate and partition their resources in other areas, I just can’t see how another game will come close to this in the current generation.

The likes of GTA 6 will be a masterwork in its own right, but in terms of sheer unadulterated graphics, Hellblade 2 will be very hard to beat, and possibly won’t be until the next generation. Though, the Coalition are masters at their craft, and they did have a stunning demo a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I wouldn't discount The Coalition producing near that level at 60fps. You know what HB2 enemies reminded me of in terms of fidelity and animation was that first demo of TLOU2 which the final game fell short of. HB2 just looks incredible, now those graphics with TLOU2 gameplay and that's a game I want to play.
I just think they'll have different goals. More enemies, more environmental destruction, very different games. But Coalition is supposedly one of the best on Unreal so I'm looking forward to it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm about halfway through and I have to agree it's the most CG-like presentation I've seen in 5+ years (the next closest thing was Detroit - and this eclipses it in every way, as it should).
The first 50 minutes are practically immaculate - and also without looking 'gamey' - you can practically count $s on every frame :)

But - I'll just leave this here because what good would a Gaf thread be with only praise :messenger_winking_tongue:
- Some assets like tree branches can show low resolution when zoomed in with photo mode, however
It doesn't need photo mode and it's not just tree branches - rocks look like this up close (this is PC version maxed out for anyone wondering):
BeOJ4QO.jpeg

That said - this is a 3rd person camera game designed to look good in that view - it's not meant to hold up at FPS angles.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

So, can we realistically expect this kind of output in more complex current gen games where combat makes 40 or 60 kind of necessary? Or is this more of a tease but possible in the next-gen future for those games?
I think so.

Surely limited to a dozen top Studios but if a Studio of 80 people in its debut with UE5 that has just begun to be optimized on console achieves this level of visual fidelity..... Studios with 200-300+ devs can certainly do things broader in size and complexity.

Speaking of Studios using UE5.... The Coalition, Crystal Dinamycs, CDProjeckt for example have 4x more resoucers than Ninja Theory🤷🏻

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Your syntax is incorrect. You wrote, "graphic fucking matter", which makes no sense, unless you meant a matter that is graphic.

It should be "graphics fucking matter". He’s jokingly asked you if you were trying to say "graphic fucking matters" as in, matters that are graphic (violent).

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Your syntax is incorrect. You wrote, "graphic fucking matter", which makes no sense.

It should be "graphics fucking matter". He’s jokingly asked you if you were trying to say "graphic fucking matters" as in, matters that are graphic (violent).
I know that. It was a typo

DanielG165

What’s crazy to me is how you can play this game on a $500 console, and it’ll just… Do it. No fuss, and the thing will remain whisper silent while efficiently pumping out heat. I don’t own a Series X, and don’t get caught up in console war BS, but right now, it’s carrying the graphical tour de force on its square shoulders for consoles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think so.

Surely limited to a dozen top Studios but if a Studio of 80 people in its debut with UE5 that has just begun to be optimized on console achieves this level of visual fidelity..... Studios with 200-300+ devs can certainly do things broader in size and complexity.

Speaking of Studios using UE5.... The Coalition, Crystal Dinamycs, CDProjeckt for example have 4x more resoucers than Ninja Theory🤷🏻

No. It doesn't work like that. Run-time resources are finite so its extremely important what the scope and dynamics are. This game uses a very constrained set of design parameters and because of that they can really load up on the resource allocation for each element. This goes to everything from geometry to textures/shading, lighting and VFX pipe through to animation.

Its not "cheating" but they've been very judicious when picking their battles. The reality is that we saw what the game looked like 4 years ago, and in 4 years its mostly maintained not advanced its presentation despite all those man-hours of work subsequently lavished on it.

Bigger teams might allow you to do more of the same, but not necessarily more with greater scope and dynamics because the real limitation is what happens at run-time. Not everything can exist in memory at the same time, and the more links and blends required is more cost. More dynamics and variety further heaps on the challenge because it gives the creators less space and options to hide the bits that disrupt the illusion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Your syntax is incorrect. You wrote, "graphic fucking matter", which makes no sense, unless you meant a matter that is graphic.

NVM.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Honestly that would depend on what the developer prioritizes in budgeting. ND have heavily prioritized the post process pipeline, others may want a cleaner IQ which may show out more efficiencies etc.

Killjoy-NL

The likes of GTA 6 will be a masterwork in its own right, but in terms of sheer unadulterated graphics, Hellblade 2 will be very hard to beat, and possibly won’t be until the next generation. Though, the Coalition are masters at their craft, and they did have a stunning demo a couple years ago.
I dunno.

Sony's major studios always set a new standard once they release their newest games and they are all silently working on their first actual current-gen titles.

I think Hellblade is just a taste of what's to come.

BigLee74

Skimmed the first few minutes, way too many spoilers. Will check it out later.

Will say I agree that the first level was a bit slow, and a bit of a turn off. The second was so much better, however. Looking forward to seeing what’s ahead!

Romulus

Can't believe it took this long to hit an actual leap in visuals. I was beginning to think we were sentenced to an eternity of ps4 graphics with higher framerates.

Can't believe it took this long to hit an actual leap in visuals. I was beginning to think we were sentenced to an eternity of ps4 graphics with higher framerates.
Cross gen or cross gen in all but name was the problem. Also giving the developer time to get used to the new tools available to them. HB2 is just the beginning of what these consoles are able to produce.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

I miss the days when the gaming was all about fun. Nowadays, it's just visual, 60fps 4k, 8k, 120fps, high graphic boring stuff.
Blame the devs and sony boys saying their machine can do 8k 60fps lmao, shit cant even run ff16 at 30fps.

If only they focused on 1440p 60fps wed me more than fine for this gen. Maybe next gen aim 4k 60

feynoob

Gold Member
Blame the devs and sony boys saying their machine can do 8k 60fps lmao, shit cant even run ff16 at 30fps.

If only they focused on 1440p 60fps wed me more than fine for this gen. Maybe next gen aim 4k 60
We lost the sight what made games great.

First game was good, because it wanted to be itself. This game, decided to be something else.

Sintoid

I miss the days when the gaming was all about fun. Nowadays, it's just visual, 60fps 4k, 8k, 120fps, high graphic boring stuff.
I remember folks complaining Space Invader graphics so i'm quite sure you miss something never existed

Darsxx82

No. It doesn't work like that. Run-time resources are finite so its extremely important what the scope and dynamics are. This game uses a very constrained set of design parameters and because of that they can really load up on the resource allocation for each element. This goes to everything from geometry to textures/shading, lighting and VFX pipe through to animation.

Its not "cheating" but they've been very judicious when picking their battles. The reality is that we saw what the game looked like 4 years ago, and in 4 years its mostly maintained not advanced its presentation despite all those man-hours of work subsequently lavished on it.

Bigger teams might allow you to do more of the same, but not necessarily more with greater scope and dynamics because the real limitation is what happens at run-time. Not everything can exist in memory at the same time, and the more links and blends required is more cost. More dynamics and variety further heaps on the challenge because it gives the creators less space and options to hide the bits that disrupt the illusion.
The fact is that we already have a real indication that what we see in HB2 can be transferred to something broader and more complex..... The Matrix demo that already worked on consoles (even with RT Lumen hardware active) and therefore At that time UE5 was not nearly as optimized as it is today. In fact, the latest tests indicate that performance has improved by up to 40-60% depending on the situation.

That is to say, something more complex and broad is possible and it is only in the means and resources that you put into it. Of course studios of 250-350+ developers can achieve higher goals.

Obviously, those who bet on 60fps will have it twice as difficult, but I think that the base of top games on consoles will be 30fps. Marvel 1943, the next Tomb Raider and Gears 6 could perfectly be better exponents than Hellblade 2 because of the aforementioned.

We will see.

Gambit2483

That would artistically take away the game’s specific look. Go look at the videos where people have gone into the files to turn said effects off; the game looks “game-y” that way.
Ok, sure...but what if I want it to look that way? Why not give the user that option? That's all I'm saying.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
But it didn't. The best looking games from this gen look notably better than the best of last gen in one way or another (which include Callisto Protocol, Demon's Souls, Forbidden West, and Alan Wake 2). And that's just in that realistic, gritty style. Ratchet remains not only king for that style of visuals, but far ahead of last gen's efforts of that kind.

2532585ee2b263155786.70671443-Shot_1-c4e7.jpg

Horizon-Forbidden-West_20220302113822.jpg

1544020-20230711201809-1.png

Alan-Wake2-2023-10-29-08-36-11.png

Not trying to downplay Hellbalde, but this idea that it's the first of its kind is simply not true. It loses out to some of the games I mentioned in certain areas too (lack of pathtracing/raytracing, environmental textures are not the best we've seen, water, hair, etc). The more I play it, the more I see some of these minor weaknesses. However, I'd still keep it at or near the top because it truly is a splendor overall.

Last edited:
We’ll see, but Ninja Theory pushed the visuals as far as they could physically go without really having to concern themselves over anything else, despite there being moments of genuine action and set pieces in the game. With larger scale titles that have to allocate and partition their resources in other areas, I just can’t see how another game will come close to this in the current generation.

GTA 6 has the hair and physics and interactivity tho. And apparently a fluid sim. In an open world. I think those are all part of graphics.

If it does all that with its more cartoonish style that still looks CGI, I will consider it a better looking game personally

Top Bottom