• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Super Mario Odyssey - Docked vs Handheld Comparison

HotHamBoy

You sure about that? Because unless you can prove that it could be more powerful given its form factor and power output, that's pretty much exactly what you're doing.

I never said it could.

But that's the design they chose to go with so the question is always "is it worth the compromise?"

Personally, I'm more upset about the lack of D-Pad on Joycons. That's a compromise that doesn't payoff, IMO. The novelty of sharing JoyCons and playing MP with the kickstand is not worth the loss of a precision input device for 2D games (especially fighters and future VC) in handheld mode.

oufwid

Neo Member
Better. You get something called super sampling. Not sure how it works exactly, but the result is that your image will look better than if it were rendered at 720p.
Alright! That's probably why Zelda BOTW looked crisp on my good old 32" 720p TV.

If Nintendo Japan themselves were to handle the Doom port, how do you think it'd fare?

Hard to say. It's not running on an engine developed by Nintendo, and they don't really do FPS, so I personally don't think Nintendo of Japan would be as equipped to port it. If they gave it to Retro Studios then maybe it would be a bit more of a locked 720p while undocked and maybe 800p while docked. I'm not sure it would hit 60fps unless they decided that was more important than the resolution and graphical effects.

Neoweee

It means that the resolution for the game when the Switch is docked is locked at 900p. There's no dynamic resolution according to Digital Foundry's findings from the build they played.

It would be interesting if Nintendo could squeeze out 1080p for "warp zone"/bonus-game areas that aren't as open-world as the main stages.

Personally, I'm more upset about the lack of D-Pad on Joycons. That's a compromise that doesn't payoff, IMO. The novelty of sharing JoyCons and playing MP with the kickstand is not worth the loss of a precision input device for 2D games (especially fighters and future VC) in handheld mode.

counterpoint:

Joy-con being modular means this problem can be easily solved with "Pro" Joy-Con controllers

counterpoint:

Joy-con being modular means this problem can be easily solved with "Pro" Joy-Con controllers

Well we have to depend on Nintendo to solve this problem. They might think it's not an issue and never make a different Joycon. It would be great if third parties had the rights to make Joycons. They would be much faster than Nintendo.

latest

3D Land was 240p 30fps, right?
Pretty nuts to think about the leap.

Even when compared to the Wii U outing, it’s a much nicer looking game on top of the better IQ

Aww shux i was hoping for 1080p, still looks plenty good though so i'm not that bothered.

Even a 1080p/30fps mode for shits and giggles, if possible.

Before anyone has a stroke over that please realize the best Mario game is 30fps and GAF favorite 3D Land is as well.

jamonbread

Neo Member
Considering how dated the graphics look technically, I would hope it would at least be 1080p60.

Not thrilled but I can definitely life with 900p60

Can't wait.

I disagree, although I do find the Donk City environment jarring and not very graphically pretty, I think the rest of the games levels look amazing. It's also worth considering that it's an open world game running at 60fps.

I'm just happy it doesn't appear to be using dynamic resolution scaling in either mobile or docked mode.

Rayis

This is best case scenario for this game! You can't realistically ask for more.

Great Job Nintendo, they always do an outstanding job with their own hardware.

Do you have a Switch?

I've played USF2 on the stock pad from its release up to the delivery of my Hori stick and I can do things like Ryu's crouch mk into shinkuu no problem on it. SNK fighters are harder to manage but then again, some of garou special inputs are so funky you're screwed without a stick anyway.

The form factor looks strange but the Switch's d-pad is completely serviceable, a lot more than the pro controller's one.

HotHamBoy

Do you have a Switch?

I've played USF2 on the stock pad from its release up to the delivery of my Hori stick and I can do things like Ryu's crouch mk into shinkuu no problem on it. SNK fighters are harder to manage but then again, some of garou special inputs are so funky you're screwed without a stick anyway.

The form factor looks strange but the Switch's d-pad is completely serviceable, a lot more than the pro controller's one.

I don't have a Switch yet but I do plan to get one eventually.

I'm far more worried about older games like VC than new ones that accommodate analog sticks better.

counterpoint:

Well we have to depend on Nintendo to solve this problem. They might think it's not an issue and never make a different Joycon. It would be great if third parties had the rights to make Joycons. They would be much faster than Nintendo.

You're right and I'm worried that the lack of any announcement so far means they haven't even considered it or don't care.

If I have to I will do the mod.

th4tguy

I never said it could.

But that's the design they chose to go with so the question is always "is it worth the compromise?"

I can't imagine a single joycon going on sale that contains a proper dpad won't happen at some point in time.

HotHamBoy

I haven't mentioned analog sticks in my previous post.

What are you afraid you won't be able to do on the stock joy-cons d-pad?

Diagonals, shoryukens.

The single-piece D-Pad allows you to rock and roll your thumb.

Good for intense SHMUPs, too.

I like to play with a stick but I'm okay with settling for a D-Pad for a handheld. Going from Vita's amazing D-Pad to the Switch's 4 seperate buttons is going to be rough.

Diagonals, shoryukens.

The single-piece D-Pad allows you to rock and roll your thumb.

Good for intense SHMUPs, too.

I like to play with a stick but I'm okay with settling for a D-Pad for a handheld. Going from Vita's amazing D-Pad to the Switch's 4 seperate buttons is going to be rough.

Well diagonals and shoryukens aren't a problem in my book.

Try the thing, you might be surprised.

In what way? Are there really people still expecting 1080p out of the Switch at this point?
They probably could have, but the devs also used some of the extra power to add better shadows, effects, and geometry. Besides the edge AA when playing BOTW docked, is this the first Switch game that added geometry and extra effects in docked mode?

TLZ

Banned
What's wrong with people pointing out that a 6" tablet in a dock (which is mostly empty) is running a very visually pleasing game at 900p/60fps and that a consoles 4x the size with a much better CPU, GPU and much faster memory can barely pull off 900p/30fps or 900p/60fps in certain games
Please not this. You're comparing the wrong games. And I'm not sure about the "much better CPU".

Top Bottom