• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: the complete Xbox One architects interview

Pug

Nah. It's not like I care about the XB1 that much. Beside, that's against the whole point of guessing.
Care enough to post in this thread though. And a guess is only required if you cant access an answer to your question. In this case the answer is in the link in the OP.

What is Yin without Yang? What is Xbox One without PS4? There must be balance in all things, or else the self will not hold. But eventually the little guy with one day say

hwOT8NC.jpg

Nokterian

This is from the last big thread.

X1 GPU:
1.18 TF GPU (12 CUs) for games
48 Texture units
16 ROPS
2 ACE/ 16 queues

PS4 GPU:
1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs) for games + 56%
1152 Shaders +50%
72 Texture units +50%
32 ROPS + 100%
8 ACE/64 queues +400%

That is a huge difference for sure goddamn.

KAL2006

Banned
Didn't read it, because it's an interview surely the biggest question was asked, how does it compare with PS4, what was MS answer to that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just read the introduction of the interview.

He is implying that the PS4 power adventage is more effective PR than anything else.

Well, it does if the system is completly way less effective than the PS4 solution - while being the more expensive system.

There is not a single thing in the real world, which can be done better on the Xbox One than on the PS4.

No it doesn't. Balanced doesn't necessarily mean powerful. Benny_A summarised it well

Interesting, i'm never filled with confidence when someone involved with designing a new piece of shiny tech uses phrases like "quite sufficient". Reminds me of the arguments for resistive screens.

That's not going to happen. I don't know why this constantly comes up, but never has this been a factor before. Because Skyrim is broke on PS3, they didn't break it on 360 to make it fair. Bayonetta isn't at 30fps on 360 because it is on PS3. They didn't lower the resolution of FFXIII and muddy the cutscenes to make it 'parity'.

It's a competitive industry, and no one is going to leave huge performance on the table when the first parties won't, just to appease MS. DICE are coming out against KZ and CoD, they will put their best foot forward.

Sony first party has been releasing some stellar looking games this generation, but multi platform games were still generally not on par with the 360 versions. Everyone expects first party titles to look good but don't hold multiplatform games to the same standard.
Also, maybe Sony didn't demand any parity but MS is not the type of company that will just lay down and let a competitor beat them. They love throwing their muscle around. They always have.

I liked them trying to imply that having more compute queues would degrade performance. I also like them declining to say anything about the ESRAM latency benefits, which suggests to me they are minimal. They have gone out of their way to play up any perceived advantage, and yet in the one area so many Jizz Wizards have pinned their hopes and dreams on they won't say anything...

KAL2006

Banned
Sony first party has been releasing some stellar looking games this generation, but multi platform games were still generally not on par with the 360 versions. Everyone expects first party titles to look good but don't hold multiplatform games to the same standard.
Also, maybe Sony didn't demand any parity but MS is not the type of company that will just lay down and let a competitor beat them. They love throwing their muscle around. They always have.

This is ridiculous. Are you saying MS will moneyhats parity, in the beginning of my gaming career I have never seen this happen from Amiga to NES or playing superior SF2 on SNES over Genesis version.

dungtongue

Neo Member

What muscle do they have though? PS4 will probably sell more this generation due to the price advantage. Why would developers bend over for MS to make their product worse?

Pistolero

Kinect is eating away precious GPU resources. No wonder some developers refered to the advantage of the PS3 as being significant...

Chobel

I liked them trying to imply that having more compute queues would degrade performance. I also like them declining to say anything about the ESRAM latency benefits, which suggests to me they are minimal. They have gone out of their way to play up any perceived advantage, and yet in the one area so many Jizz Wizards have pinned their hopes and dreams on they won't say anything...

Add to that they're saying they have higher bandwidth for GPGPU...smh

This is really making me curious to know the final PS4 clocks. CPU hasn't been officially announced, and GPU they could feasibly bump up to 850.

So...do you think when he comes to doing his face off's in the coming years, he's going to fake videos and screen shots and basically lie through his teeth in order to keep MS happy?

..because that's what all haters of RL are implying with their pathetic character assassination, who's been in the industry for nearly 30yrs and knows more about this stuff than 99% of the inane fan boys that come out with this shit.

you don't have to be some kind of genius to know that RL is a MS shill, laws of physics implies that 1.84 TFLOPS>1.18 TFLOPS and no matter how much MS PR tries to hide this fact(with RL help) the gap will always be there and it will show sooner or later(ignoring the fact that the PS4 memory architecture is much better).

StuBurns

Banned
Most multiplatform games are worse on PS3, yes, because it was more difficult to work with, and it wasn't until people started leading on PS3, or putting much more effort in on there, that we saw parity, and more advantages on the PS3 versions. It wasn't for the sake of parity, it was because MS had a year head start, better dev tools, and a simpler box. None of that is true now.

MS didn't pay SE to fuck up the PS3 version of FFXIII, I seriously doubt they're going to pay any developers to hold back on PS4. They know the performance difference is really not important in terms of the mainstream audience. The Xbox was hugely more powerful than the PS2, Sony didn't force developers to make those SKUs equal, because they knew it was irrelevant.

This performance difference matters to a very small number of people realistically. People who really care about performance have PCs.

Log4Girlz

This is from the last big thread.

X1 GPU:
1.18 TF GPU (12 CUs) for games
48 Texture units
16 ROPS
2 ACE/ 16 queues

PS4 GPU:
1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs) for games + 56%
1152 Shaders +50%
72 Texture units +50%
32 ROPS + 100%
8 ACE/64 queues +400%

The PS4 looks more betterer

DBT85

This is really making me curious to know the final PS4 clocks. CPU hasn't been officially announced, and GPU they could feasibly bump up to 850.

The GPU I don;t think they'll bother with. But the CPU I can see being bumped up, in part because its one of the only clocks we still haven't had an official number on.

Horp

The balance argument they are making is pointless at this stage. Why?

Well let's say the perfectly balanced Xbone had different component, each having a "relative power factor" of 1, then the system could be illustrated like this:
1 : 1 : 1 : 1

That should churn out a completely balanced 1 in final power.
I could get the argument if the PS4 was something like this:
2 : 0.8 : 0.9 : 3

And then you could argue the final power is 0.8 (cause of lack of balance and bottlenecks blah blah.

But in fact the PS4 rather have something like:
1.2 : 1.3 : 1.2 : 1.5
Meaning that even the weakest link of the PS4 is stronger than the comparable part in the Xbone.

You have a weaker console MS, that's just how it is.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Well let's say the perfectly balanced Xbone had different component, each having a "relative power factor" of 1, then the system could be illustrated like this:
And then you could argue the final power is 0.8 (cause of lack of balance and bottlenecks blah blah.
Meaning that even the weakest link of the PS4 is stronger than the comparable part in the Xbone.
This post makes me feel less stupid. Can someone back him up so I don't just go about my life assuming stuff?

I was reading and all the words were going by but then the whole balance thing came up and I started feeling my eyes glaze over. I then went back and read it. I feel like a ton of this is because Sony got really lucky with the 8GB GDDR5 RAM thing. What would the situation be like if they could only have 4GB, I wonder.
Rhetorical question. Please do not answer if it's going to start crap.

This post makes me feel less stupid. Can someone back him up so I don't just go about my life assuming stuff?

I was reading and all the words were going by but then the whole balance thing came up and I started feeling my eyes glaze over. I then went back and read it. I feel like a ton of this is because Sony got really lucky with the 8GB GDDR5 RAM thing. What would the situation be like if they could only have 4GB, I wonder.

He is right. Though we are talking more about 1.5 till 4.0 than <1.5.

. The Xbox designers have yet to convince a lot of gamers that a smaller graphics core can produce comparable results, while the benefits of its faster CPU with additional fixed function silicon have been largely ignored.

MAybe it is because we can do math and know what the general delimiting factor in modern gaming is (the GPU).

typical game content frames that are bound on ROP and not bound on bandwidth are generally quite small.

I find this to be kinda BS... but whatever.

Not gonna lie, The resident evil remake looked unbelievable on the gamecube that i actually assumed for a long time that it was in a different league than xbox and ps2.

this is completely dependent on the developer and how they take advantage of the hardware, the original xbox was so much more advanced than the PS2 and the GC not only in-term of raw power and memory but in hardware features like programmable shaders, hell some games were in HD at the time.

Horp

It's stupid to "back myself up", but all the numbers for all different components I have seen have been in the favor of PS4. Sometimes with a great difference. Except for the RAM, which is kind of the same; but note that in no way does more RAM yield more power. RAM gives you more room for more stuff, but nothing will run faster because of more RAM. Faster RAM, though, can definitely make a great difference.

I guess what the article comes down to is the Xbone engineers/PRpeople can't:
1. Admit their console is weaker
2. Lie and say their console is stronger, or even as strong.
So they have found one point to talk about, and that is the fact that it is more balanced.

Like this:
Your friend has ten bags of gold,
some with 400 pounds of gold,
some with 100 pounds of gold.

You have ten bags of gold aswell, and you want people to think you are richer, or at least as rich as him.
All your bags contain exactly 80 pounds of gold.
Ahhh... there we go, you have him beat on one thing!

So you go to you friends and say
"Hah well you see, he has all these crazy bags of UNBALANCED amounts of gold. I have exactly balanced amounts of gold in each bag, nifty right?? We'll see how it pans out, NO ONE KNOWS YET."

Chaostar

That's not going to happen. I don't know why this constantly comes up, but never has this been a factor before. Because Skyrim is broke on PS3, they didn't break it on 360 to make it fair. Bayonetta isn't at 30fps on 360 because it is on PS3. They didn't lower the resolution of FFXIII and muddy the cutscenes to make it 'parity'.

It's a competitive industry, and no one is going to leave huge performance on the table when the first parties won't, just to appease MS. DICE are coming out against KZ and CoD, they will put their best foot forward.

I really want to believe this, so I will.

TheD

The Detective
Not gonna lie, The resident evil remake looked unbelievable on the gamecube that i actually assumed for a long time that it was in a different league than xbox and ps2.

The reason that REmake looked good is due to the fact it used prerendered backgrounds.

Prove it or STFU.
Honestly the way he presents Microsoft's strengths, and misrepresents the PS4's (to the point of implying they are in fact weaknesses) has been consistent since the console reveals some months ago.

But the most obvious is when he tried to downplay the difference in "compute" performance with wildly irrespective PC GPUs in a tapestry of misrepresentation, goalpost dancing, and either utter incompetence or an unshakable agenda.

It really was that bad. Anyone with even passing technical knowledge saw it for what it was, there was a very long thread here on NeoGAF dismantling everything about it, from its premise to its methodology and conclusions.

People have made a habit of jumping for the throat and attacking anything vaguely MS-related (sometimes with justification, sometimes not), but Leadbetter deserves all of it. People have said he is single-handedly dragging down Digital Foundry's reputation, and I have to agree.

Pretty much this...
Not a bad example tbh.

Alx

Interesting, i'm never filled with confidence when someone involved with designing a new piece of shiny tech uses phrases like "quite sufficient". Reminds me of the arguments for resistive screens.

That's the most honest thing you can hear from an engineer, though. Unlike what PR will always claim, the goal is never to produce "the best thing ever", but to have something that is "good enough" to meet the expectations (and the price/complexitiy/efficiency constraints).
"Quite sufficient" is always the target, more is too much, less is not enough.

StuBurns

Banned
While some of the article is certainly about how it compares to PS4, mostly it's just about the design itself. You can admire the thought process and technology of a device even if there is a superior product offered by the competition.

Is Leadbetter a shill? I don't know, but I also don't know if it matters. It's not like he lies in his comparisons, he's sometimes wrong, but he tends to correct those things when they happen. When PS3 games are better, it's typically about how the developers are incompetent, which I think is obnoxious, but ultimately, who cares? If the PS4 versions of games are better, it's not like he's not going to report it.

Horp

That's the most honest thing you can hear from an engineer, though. Unlike what PR will always claim, the goal is never to produce "the best thing ever", but to have something that is "good enough" to meet the expectations (and the price/complexitiy/efficiency constraints).
"Quite sufficient" is always the target, more is too much, less is not enough.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody.", remember? :)

Top Bottom