• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

gruenel

yes I said that earlier as well. since strider had the exact same issue. The good thing is software issues can be easily fixed. But if it is because of some hardware issue even minor .. that is harder to deal with.

How can it be an issue with the PS4 SDK if 95% of all games do it right though?

that is not what you said though... you said his 21fps for ps4 was wrong.

you were wrong .. suck it up.

sure it dropped at 18 fps...is a fact

as i said before..both version of thief drop frames..and 3 or 4 frame also if technically better....dont make the game smooth as hell..is a shit on both consoles...as i said before i understand why df prefeer 900p with af and no streaming problem vs 1080p ,5 fps more trilinear filtering and texture streaming problem

So everyone was right on the Tomb Raider thread when they claimed that Tomb Raider dropped to 18fps's, using that screenshot? And DF was wrong, saying that it didn't and that the lowest it dropped was 27fps's? Because then the article is wrong.

[Update 20:20 GMT: and as the more eagle-eyed have noticed, we also have a registered dip to 18fps, where the game seems to momentarily freeze for 12 frames at 4:12 in the video - though this isn't indicative of general performance. For those interested, this post explains the confusion - in effect, the frame-rate counter is updating every half second - as you can see, the graph itself is registering 24fps. Apologies for the confusion, We'll get this fixed up in time for the full Face-Off.]

Now that it's the exact same situation, it's okay to use stills of a video to claim what the framerate is? Hey, I just wanted to know. I guess I was wrong.

dat PS4

SPK7gp9.png

what kind of messed up shit did the devs have to pull to make this happen

lol it isn't even a tech heavy game
glitches prone on the PS4 and the fps dips for both versions

what an unoptimized mess of a game

DREYDUS

Banned
While I could care less about Thief as a game honestly

This is Digital Foundry Same place that "made a mistake" in the viral BF4 X1 VS PS4 comparison so yeah take anything they say with a troll face smile especially when it comes to comparing anything to a MS product.

TheKayle

Banned
So everyone was right on the Tomb Raider thread when they claimed that Tomb Raider dropped to 18fps's, using that screenshot? And DF was wrong, saying that it didn't and that the lowest it dropped was 27fps's? Because then the article is wrong.

Now that it's the exact same situation, it's okay to use stills of a video to claim what the framerate is? Hey, I just wanted to know. I guess I was wrong.

i think that the reality is that dropped to 18so sure the screenshot is ok lol ....was that relevant ? no...it wasnt
in this case the frame drops are both noticeable on both console...the problem that afflict the ps4 is the iq ....

danwarb

This is Digital Foundry Same place that "made a mistake" in the viral BF4 X1 VS PS4 comparison so yeah take anything they say with a troll face smile especially when it comes to comparing anything to a MS product.

How low can we go. This is a good start.

To me frame rate is more worrisome, therefore by looking at the headlines it would go something like this for myself,

PC>>>PS4>XBox One.

when both versions have different flaws, both versions are going to have their fans. I'm not playing either version, personally, because of reviews and performance, but tri linear filtering does bug the shit out of me.

I know people have accused Leadbetter of being biased towards MS, but I've never heard anyone present evidence before that Thomas Morgan is.

Synth

That is absolutely your prerogative, but do not suggest that making a game 1080p in this generation is to suit the needs of a particular console owner or group. It is a standard, and anything beneath it is under par.

I disagree with this somewhat. I get that anything below 1080p for this gen is pretty disappointing coming off the longest gen ever, but in some cases hitting 1080p is simply a bullet point and not the best decision. Forza 5 is 1080p, and is likely only 1080p because MS required a title that they could point to in order to deflect any 1080p/60fps criticisms for the X1. The sacrifices made to get there however mean that the actual image quality is inferior to that of some games running at lower resolutions (such as Ryse). If all else is equal, than 1080p is objectively better than 900p yes, but on the same platform, that will pretty much never be the case.

It's actually not that far fetched to think that different platform owners have different priorities when it comes to what they value in games. I'd think it's far more likely that someone posting in threads such as these, looking at fps counters, and making the point (as you are) that 1080p should always be hit by these console, and anything else is unacceptable, currently owns a PS4 (and/or a PC) due to it having a reputation for being able to hit this res more consistently. Due, to this the dev may be less willing to cut the resolution on this platform, than they would be for the X1, where the console's owners are more used to this happening. You can see plenty of examples in this thread of people saying that the resolution/fps is more important to them than the texture filtering, so it probably would even be the correct choice if this was the case right?

i think that the reality is that dropped to 18so sure the screenshot is ok lol ....was that relevant ? no...it wasnt
in this case the frame drops are both noticeable on both console...the problem that afflict the ps4 is the iq ....

It doesn't drop to 18fps's.

FranXico

How dare you question the unshakable integrity of RL and accuse DF of bias?

omonimo

Banned
when both versions have different flaws, both versions are going to have their fans. I'm not playing either version, personally, because of reviews and performance, but tri linear filtering does bug the shit out of me.

I know people have accused Leadbetter of being biased towards MS, but I've never heard anyone present evidence before that Thomas Morgan is.

Well Thomas work to him, he needs a job after all. Anyway, I prefer Morgan thousand times to Leadbetter.

yes I said that earlier as well. since strider had the exact same issue. The good thing is software issues can be easily fixed. But if it is because of some hardware issue even minor .. that is harder to deal with.

I doubt this is a hardware issue. Since this wasn't so much of an issue with other titles, it could just be a software issue. The crushing blacks on the X1 was a software issue as well and once they took that out, things were noticeable much better. So in that case, hardware is not the issue. It could be, as some mentioned, due to devs either not having enough knowledge with the PS4 to know how to do it correctly or just poor choosing of texture methods.

Dead Man

Perhaps it can be a bit tiring to read uneducated drive-by posts when they're quite numerous and occur every single time something like this happens. I'm not quite sure what you take issue with about my post, logically it makes little sense to write out a reply to my post if you find fault in it for "jumping to the distractions". In fact much of the last few pages are a large group of people arguing with one person who wasn't expressing himself eloquently or making a strong point. I find much more of an issue with that than what I did in pointing out widespread behavioral problems but you had no comment towards them when that was pretty recent. And I could make a list of quotes of people who jumped on the bias train without really reading the article but I'm not sure how that would solve anything besides effectively asking for posts laughing at a wall of shame instead of really discussing the issue that I'm pointing out.

But if you want me to stop expressing distaste for ignorant and often hypocritical in regards to bias posts that's simply not going to happen when it's so common. I did however keep it to one post until you felt it was worth questioning the validity of it in a thread with lots of much less constructive posting going on. Not to mention that my post wasn't only calling out other people but also giving a take about how such a thing like this with the Xbox One having arguable superior IQ is possible which many don't seem to understand. So thanks but no thanks.

I believe the point was, point out these offending posts instead of talking about kneejerk anti DF posts in general. If they are so rampant, point them out.

Footos22

is strider on unreal ?

if it is then it really makes sense.. the current UR apis are probably brought over from the ps3 which did have texture space issues.

Outlast is on unreal and looks great and runs a solid 60 most of the time.

Shit devs.

The loading is abysmal as well

danwarb

How dare you question the unshakable integrity of RL and accuse DF of bias?
There are videos and screenshots included, review those to confirm or deny their observations. A "lol bias" at their conclusion/slight preference is sad on its own.

It's not even RL.

think that the reality is that dropped to 18so sure the screenshot is ok lol ....was that relevant ? no...it wasnt

Iq in ps4 thief is fine. Better than xbo version. Higher resolution + same aa (fxaa, wich is usually terrible) = better iq. Texture streaming "issue" and shittastic texture filtering does not change that. These threads make people dummer, I am sure of it. It sure makes me feel dummer.

DF is still a joke. Nothing can take that away from them.

People thinking lack of af is hw problem, what the heck are you even thinking? I am sure all the people who know even half of necessary avoids these threads or just laughs when stupidity unfolds.

Edit. Posting from phone sucks.

Chabbles

so the XB1 has a lower framerate, and displays at a lower resolution, but is the better looking version?

DF-you crayyy

Apparently, due to the 16x anisotropic filtering on the XB1, over the PS4's trilinear filtering.

I dont understand this though, at least on PC switching between 16x to trilinear seems to have no impact on performance.

It in ps4 thief is fine. Better than xbo version. Higher resolution + same aa (fxaa, wich is usually terrible) = better iq. Texture streaming "issue" and shittastic texture filtering does not change that. These threads make people dummer, I am sure of it. It sure makes me feel dummer.

People thinking lack of af is hw problem, what the heck are you even thinking? I am sure all the people who know even half of necessary avoids these threads or just laughs when stupidity unfolds.

excuse, me, but how do you figure that texture filtering and streaming issues aren't a matter of image quality? of course they are.

Dead Rising 3's infamous low framerate screen grab I believe was from a moment where the game stuttered for a fraction of a second on a load or a save, which DF generally don't consider when they're looking at a games performance.

KOHIPEET

I can't wait to read MisterX's spin on this. How full HSA, stacked soc and the hidden eSram, allowed developers to use higher resolution textures.

Dead Man

It in ps4 thief is fine. Better than xbo version. Higher resolution + same aa (fxaa, wich is usually terrible) = better iq. Texture streaming "issue" and shittastic texture filtering does not change that. These threads make people dummer, I am sure of it. It sure makes me feel dummer.

If that was intentional that's hilarious. If it is not intentional, that is hilarious. :)

Well, I (perhaps mistakenly) thought that he implied that a user with a urinal as avatar is not the best person to judge the graphical quality of games. And ofc I wanted to brag with my limited knowledge of art
and failed miserably, damn those French names :D

I agree with you. I still can't tell the difference between 360 and xbone games.
btw youre not bad with your art history. you knew he was french as least.

Apparently, due to the 16x anisotropic filtering on the XB1, over the PS4's trilinear filtering.

I dont understand this though, at least on PC switching between 16x to trilinear seems to have no impact on performance.

But I'm still scratching my head as to why they claim it's the better console version when it has more cons than pros.

+ground textures smoother at a distance

-less stable frame rate
-looking at screenshots looks like there's no tesselation at all
-lower resolution

Iq in ps4 thief is fine. Better than xbo version. Higher resolution + same aa (fxaa, wich is usually terrible) = better iq. Texture streaming "issue" and shittastic texture filtering does not change that. These threads make people dummer, I am sure of it. It sure makes me feel dummer.

Edit. Posting from phone sucks.
There are some dumm people out there yeah.

TyrantII

So PS4:
- Full 1080p
- Trilinear filtering
- Steadier framerate (>24 FPS)

Xbox One:
- 900p
- 16x anisotropic filtering
- drops to 20's

Yet the Xbox One > PS4, huh?

Right? 5 FPS better is pretty much a wash at such low framerates, but rending 633k more pixels while maintaining a steadier higher framerate is quite a bit

Trilinear vs anisotropic filtering is bullshit, seeing as anisotropic filtering isn't even resource intensive on modern hardware. Someone flip the wrong setting? Otherwise is the 5FPs on such a terribly optimized game worth it?

But I'm still scratching my head as to why they claim it's the better console version when it has more cons than pros.

+ground textures smoother at a distance

-less stable frame rate
-looking at screenshots looks like there's no tesselation at all
-lower resolution

Because after highlighting the measurable differences, which of those differences matter most is a matter of opinion. DF provide factual analysis, with transparent methodology, and then make an opinion based recommendation on which game to get, which is backed up by their reasoning.

if you don't care about AF and you have a PS4 and an Xbox One, this article provides you with all the information you need to know that you want to buy the PS4 version.

jayu26

I don't even know what's going on anymore. It's a win for Xbone, but it's not really a win, ugh. And all this over a game that sucks donkey balls.

Chobel

Instead on focusing on DF final judgement, let's focus on the real issue here.
Why there's no AF in PS4 version? And why is Sony letting this pass on their QA tests?

Dead Man

Instead on focusing on DF final judgement, let's focus on the real issue here.
Why there's no AF in PS4 version? And why is Sony letting this pass on their QA tests?

That is a rather good question. As ghst points out, this is not new news:

it's bizarre to see people who have been poring over PS4 screenshots only now become aware of its consistent shortcomings in texture filtering. not that the xbone has been doing much better.

we had this all out in november: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711760

Not sure if any conclusion has been reached.

Top Bottom