• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection is more than just a remaster

Detailed trailer analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SA78dp3xnM
Story Trailer PS3 vs PS4 comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoGMqS7G3q0
"Warzone" PS3 vs PS4 comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn7xOHxXppc

Regarding the Uncharted 2 Warzone comparison above:
Well...the tough thing there is that we only had poorly compressed PS4 footage. It's just there to give an idea but it's not a definitive comparison. The PS3 footage is all direct feed and much higher quality. The compression saps away a lot of detail on the PS4 side that should be there. We just didn't have access to a higher quality file for that one.

Can't wait. More here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...drake-collection-is-more-than-just-a-remaster
The release of the latest Uncharted: the Nathan Drake Collection story trailer demonstrates that developer Bluepoint Games is indeed improving and remaking swathes of Naughty Dog's existing assets, respectfully enhancing even incidental detail. The evidence suggests that this isn't just a simple port we're dealing with here - new art or geometry is commonplace in virtually every shot in this latest trailer.
For instance, the original character models used in Drake's Fortune look rather dated next to those used in Uncharted 3. It makes sense to create a more coherent look across all three games by upgrading the models, and based on what we've seen in the trailer, that's exactly what has happened.
As expected, all three games benefit from an increase in resolution to full 1080p with post-process anti-aliasing. Anisotropic filtering, contact shadows, and improved shading are all present as well, creating a cleaner, more pleasing overall image. Simply eliminating the noticeable texture blurring that plagued the original games along with various other rendering issues makes a world of difference here.
However, there is a notable omission based on every Nathan Drake Collection asset we've seen so far: motion blur.
While motion blur was mostly absent from the pre-rendered cut-scenes in the original games, the real-time sequences in this new trailer are lacking the effect too. Motion blur shutter speed was modified for The Last of Us Remastered, resulting in a more subtle effect, but it seems to be completely absent in everything we've seen so far in the Nathan Drake Collection.
In addition [in Uncharted 2], we also note an increase in alpha effects and their density. As the chopper takes out the bridge early in the demo, there is a noticeable increase in smoke and dust that isn't there on PS3.
When Nate reaches the top of the tower at the start of the demo we also note an increase in distant detail. Buildings are more complex further out into the scene while entire chunks that were previously absent have been added into the mix. Even the mountain range has been updated in this new version and there are also noticeable changes to lighting and scene colorisation.

ShogunX

Looks like Bluepoint Games have done some excellent work on this collection. The lack of multiplayer though has put this firmly in to bargain bin status for me :(

Skux

Oh wow, this is a lot more than just a 1080p60 version (a la GoW3).

The contact shadows give UC1 a lot more depth in its images, it doesn't feel flat like the original.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, they're REALLY going all out here. The amount of observable changes in that trailer blew me away. Even models that get MAYBE 5-10 seconds of screen time in the entire game have been massively improved.

Bluepoint should be the only studio allowed to do remastered games.
Don't forget HexaDrive!

As someone who hasn't played any of the Uncharted games in the past, would it be safe to say I'd be in for a treat if I enjoyed TLOU:R ?

Are we going to get an analysis of the Gears footage? Would be interested to know DF think about the changes.

And yeah, this collection's quality was never in doubt. I don't believe Bluepoint have put out a single bad game yet.

Seems like the PS3 version has more grittiness too it. PS4 version looks a little too clean as if the buildings weren't built that long ago.

I enjoyed these games on PS3 and I want to be excited for the improved graphics but if I'm honest with myself I don't actually want to play through these games again. I always played these for the story and spectacle. The gameplay is serviceable but not something I want to play just for the fun of it. Besides, I've got quite a backlog of PS4 games already so it's not like I need something to play and replaying 3 games I've already finished seems counterproductive.

I'll be Day 1 for Uncharted 4, though.

Harmen

I do wish they added a more subtle motion blur instead of complete omission. No chance they will do that at this point anyrmore, right? Otherwise this collection is shaping up nicelly. These games will look glorious in 1080p and at 60 fps and their graphical style is rather timeless.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That video comparison is excellent. Best I've ever seen. Clearly contextualizes and demonstrates improvements. Well done.

Yet again I will mention that I do want to see motion blur in but I doubt it's happening at this point, which is a shame.

Hoje0308

Banned
As someone who hasn't played any of the Uncharted games in the past, would it be safe to say I'd be in for a treat if I enjoyed TLOU:R ?

They're very different in terms of gameplay and polar opposites where tone is concerned. Uncharted is big and loud and dumb and full of banter.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I enjoyed these games on PS3 and I want to be excited for the improved graphics but if I'm honest with myself I don't actually want to play through these games again. I always played these for the story and spectacle. The gameplay is serviceable but not something I want to play just for the fun of it. Besides, I've got quite a backlog of PS4 games already so it's not like I need something to play and replaying 3 games I've already finished seems counterproductive.

I'll be Day 1 for Uncharted 4, though.
I dunno, Uncharted 2 plays incredibly well. Going back through that scene for myself, I couldn't believe how fluid and fun the combat sequences are. Playing Gears 1 actually made that even more evident. You're dropped into an area and given a lot of freedom in Uncharted and it makes for a great experience.

The big question I have is whether they've improved the actual gameplay in Uncharted 1. If it plays more like the sequels then it will be almost a whole new game.

PS3 version seems to have more detail? At least in the warzone video.
Well...the tough thing there is that we only had poorly compressed PS4 footage. It's just there to give an idea but it's not a definitive comparison. The PS3 footage is all direct feed and much higher quality. The compression saps away a lot of detail on the PS4 side that should be there. We just didn't have access to a higher quality file for that one.

What's interesting about the trailer comparison, though, is that the released trailer is much cleaner than the cutscenes on a real PS3. Since they used video on PS3, there is a lot of compression evident in UC1 and 2.

dealer-

Is it bad that a (more than just a) remaster is my most anticipated game for the rest of the year? Can't wait to play all these again back to back.

Xater

More than a remaster? No, I just think this is the effort people should actually put into these re-releases. Not surprising that it is Bluepoint again, they have been doing quality work.

Noobcraft

They are very different in feeling, presentation, characters, flow, etc. As someone who loves Uncharted but doesn't like TLOU the only thing I can say is it's worth trying out.

Madness

Still laughing at calling it 'Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection' as well as having Uncharted 4 beta access. Sony showing Microsoft how to release a remaster collection (Yes I know it's no multi-player which was most likely the reason for the majority of the issues with MCC). Still, solid showing by Bluepoint yet again.

Eggbok

BCBYqW6.png

You can see a few differences in this shot. [ PS4 left, PS3 right]
- Nate's shirt is more detailed
- The bottle, Sully and the table aren't blurred or as blurred.
- The wall is changed and the lighting is much better

Top Bottom