• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

Slair

What's up with reflection of the distant boat in the first 3, doesn't make sense.

I believe that isn't a reflection but the underside of the boat showing through the transparency of the water.

Edit: fuck, old tab, 3 more pages since then :/

Serdal

Neo Member
Seriously, though, I'm disappointed that my old 30 fps frame locking setup isn't working properly with some recent games. Batman easily hits 60 fps with normal settings, but with full Phys-X and such cranked up, it dips a lot. Limiting to 30 fps, however, introduces severe frame ordering problems resulting in a very stuttery image. MSI OSD usually solves that but not with Origins.

I'm assuming you're running Nvidia here, (TXAA talk and such), so since you're playing on plasma - 60hz input - have you tried running adaptive Vsync and half framerate for you frame limiting needs? It should lock quite nicely to 30hz for you via Nvidia CP.

noomi

Very impressed with how the PS4 version turned out, hopefully it will be the same with Watch Dogs.

My thoughts exactly. Very happy to see the PS4 version doing so well, I would think this is a small indication of many good things to come, Watch Dogs included ;)

AlStrong

The PS4 version has an issue with its SSAO implementation which DF doesn't seem to have picked up on:

For a given point in screen space, they're using data up to a certain distance around that to perform the SSAO operation. At the edge of the frame, they would need knowledge of the scene off-screen.

Read the rest of the post. I love the Wii U and intend to use it as my primary console, still. The only thing I am discrediting is Ubisoft and its poor handling of this port. I will still play through ACIV and finish it. I have only bought Wii U and 3DS games since I bought the Wii U. If I'm biased at all, it is in favor of Nintendo. Even with the discrediting of Ubisoft, I still intend to purchase Watch Dogs on Wii U.
I'm taking the piss, it was sarcastic. ;) Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Jomjom

Banned
But... but... IGN's Xbox podcast was mocking people for saying there were noticeable differences between the Xbox One and PS4 version. They were saying something about the Xbox One version not having shoes or something, but DF is saying that the framerate and resolution is better on PS4. I don't know who to believe.

That said, there is a more affordable choice available that offers all the visual refinement of the PS4 version - and more. If you have a decent gaming rig, the PC version is the way to go from a software price/performance perspective. Black Flag is available on PC for around £35 online, while you'll be looking at no less than £48 for the PS4 and Xbox One releases - a tidy saving of £13. Factoring in the ability to achieve a similar level of image quality to the PS4 game while running at double the frame-rate without needing Titan-level hardware, it's clear that PC's stranglehold on the top-end multi-platform experience isn't going to change any time soon.

Just what I wanted to hear. Also nice to see PC prices aren't creeping up much.

Hmmm did DF always give this little snippet with each of their reviews when 360 versions were consistently better than the PS3 versions? Just wondering.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've read nothing but raving from Wii U owners about the AC4 port :s

I think at this point. They are just exceedingly grateful getting any ports. Even really shitty low fps ones.

ibjJH5vUnvss6f.PNG

Wow.png

Holy shit the Xbox One version looks terrible there. It isnt surprising to see the Wii U version look like it does.

How much of an impact on AA and resolution does the higher memory bandwidth of the PS4 have on things? Discounting the ESRAM for the moment the PS4 has ~2.5x as much memory bandwidth as the XBONE.

I know that certain kinds of AA can require a fair bit of bandwidth, but is it something that limits how much the XBONE hardware can do or is the lower memory bandwidth just a secondary cause of the poorer performance on the XBONE?

But... but... IGN's Xbox podcast was mocking people for saying there were noticeable differences between the Xbox One and PS4 version. They were saying something about the Xbox One version not having shoes or something, but DF is saying that the framerate and resolution is better on PS4. I don't know who to believe.

There was a thread recently where someone called out IGN Xbox and Ryan in particular for stuff like AC4. He actually popped into the thread, but only to say the he runs the site the way he wants and that he didn't appreciate the name calling. A mod came in and banned those people and asked Ryan if he'd comment on the claims made in that thread. Ryan never made a followup post.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
How much of an impact on AA and resolution does the higher memory bandwidth of the PS4 have on things? Discounting the ESRAM for the moment the PS4 has ~2.5x as much memory bandwidth as the XBONE.

I know that certain kinds of AA can require a fair bit of bandwidth, but is it something that limits how much the XBONE hardware can do or is the lower memory bandwidth just a secondary cause of the poorer performance on the XBONE?

I think the hardware is capable of playing games like Assassins Creed 4 at 1080p at 30fps. It's just the development tools, maturity of the XDK and deep knowledge required to squeeze out that level of performance isn't there yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For a given point in screen space, they're using data up to a certain distance around that to perform the SSAO operation. At the edge of the frame, they would need knowledge of the scene off-screen.

Hmm, that makes sense when you put it like that. But I've never noticed an issue like this in any other game, and it's not like this is the first game with SSAO. So what do games without this issue do? They sample the geometry beyond what's displayed on the screen?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510076

From the creator of FXAA when the specs of orbis and durango were released

Working here assuming the Eurogamer Article is close to correct. On this platform I'd be concerned with memory bandwidth. Only DDR3 for system/GPU memory pared with 32MB of "ESRAM" sounds troubling....If this GPU is pre-GCN with a serious performance gap to PS4, then this next Xbox will act like a boat anchor, dragging down the min-spec target for cross-platform next-generation games.

My guess is that the real reason for 8GB of memory is because this box is a DVR which actually runs "Windows" (which requires a GB or two or three of "overhead"), but like Windows RT (Windows on ARM) only exposes a non-desktop UI to the user. There are a bunch of reasons they might ditch the real-time console OS, one being that if they don't provide low level access to developers, that it might enable a faster refresh on backwards compatible hardware. In theory the developer just targets the box like it was a special DX11 "PC" with a few extra changes like hints for surfaces which should go in ESRAM, then on the next refresh hardware, all prior games just get better FPS or resolution or AA. Of course if they do that, then it is just another PC, just lower performance, with all the latency baggage, and lack of low level magic which makes 1st party games stand out and sell the platform.

A fast GDDR5 will be the desired option for developers. All the interesting cases for good anti-aliasing require a large amount of bandwidth and RAM. A tiny 32MB chunk of ESRAM will not fit that need even for forward rendering at 1080p. I think some developers could hit 1080p@60fps with the rumored Orbis specs even with good AA. My personal project is targeting 1080p@60fps with great AA on a 560ti which is a little slower than the rumored Orbis specs. There is no way my engine would hit that target on the rumored 720 specs. Ultimately on Orbis I guess devs target 1080p/30fps (with some motion blur) and leverage the lower latency OS stack and scan out at 60fps (double scan frames) to provide a really great lower-latency experience. Maybe the same title on 720 would render at 720p/30fps, and maybe Microsoft is dedicating a few CPU hardware threads to the GPU driver stack to remove the latency problem (assuming this is a "Windows" OS under the covers).

I think the hardware is capable of playing games like Assassins Creed 4 at 1080p at 30fps. It's just the development tools, maturity of the XDK and deep knowledge required to squeeze out that level of performance isn't there yet.

lol

That gpu is pure ass, I don't see how they can do it even under heavy optimization.

CPU is up to the task, but the GPU is the Wii to Wii U levels of progress

socialQ

Banned
Wii U…what have you done. And surprised the PS4 version gets a better frame rate, resolution and AA solution compared to the Xbox One version.

i'm not.

game is hideous though. That said, haven't made it past the 1st part of the game ... been too busy for games.

Sounds like both systems have a pretty solid version of the game. PS4 version just sounds more solid. Nothing earth shattering, however, but 1080p at a locked 30fps is definitely nice, particularly since there are some dips on the xbox one version at 900p, but nothing that sounds serious or worrying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm assuming you're running Nvidia here, (TXAA talk and such), so since you're playing on plasma - 60hz input - have you tried running adaptive Vsync and half framerate for you frame limiting needs? It should lock quite nicely to 30hz for you via Nvidia CP.
Most limiters including the nvidia solution still have frame ordering issues. Msi Afterburner OSD is the one program that delivers a perfect 30 fps 95% of the time. Some games just don't work right at 30, though.

Sounds like both systems have a pretty solid version of the game. PS4 version just sounds more solid. Nothing earth shattering, however, but 1080p at a locked 30fps is definitely nice, particularly since there are some dips on the xbox one version at 900p, but nothing that sounds serious or worrying.

Having a higher resolution, better AA, and framerate is not serious or worrying to you?

Wii U…what have you done. And surprised the PS4 version gets a better frame rate, resolution and AA solution compared to the Xbox One version.

Honestly, I am surprised when anyone is surprised when the ps4 gets a better version of a multiplat than the Xbox One. The ps4 is just flat out significantly more powerful.

Wow, he really nailed it.

Yep it's almost like given the specs you can objectively quantify what the most likely outcome is

Perhaps we should introduce Timothy Lottes to Albert?

Having a higher resolution, better AA, and framerate is not serious or worrying to you?

Personally I would find the post I made above very worrying for the future of XB1 games considering how accurate it's been thus far

Not all developers are as talented technically as Crytek

Tristan Tzara

Neo Member
Are there any other sites which provide analysis articles like this regularly? I know there was that 'Lens of Truth' site, but it was pretty assy from what I remember.

I just bought a Wiiu for my kids as a Xmas present (it's for me too of course) and I'd like to know how other 3rd party ports perform. I've even heard bad things about the Marvel Lego game on WiiU but I haven't found any actual performance analysis articles anywhere. If it's better on 360 or Ps3 I'd rather just buy the game on one of those platforms instead of bothering with the Wiiu version.

I'll buy a PS4 next year, but until then I'd like to know where I would be best spending my money on multi-plats.

Wow.

One is in a much worse position than I expected initially. I mean I knew there was a significant gulf in capability, but this is turning out much worse than I expected.

WiiU doesn't surprise me at all. The system has used efficiency gains of modern hardware designs and twice the memory to eek out it's few advantages over PS3/360. On paper it is effectively weaker in some areas compared to PS360. And then its also burdened not only by the hardwares lackluster sales, but also the truly anemic software ecosystem in place,

WiiU isn't shocking. One really really is. If WiiU is a last gen system hardware wise and PS4 is a current gen system, One is stuck somewhere between. Slanted closer to PS4... but not by as much as I would have said pre-release.

And that freaking filter is just a mind-boggling addition to the design. Truly baffling.

Vizzeh

Banned
Are there any other sites which provide analysis articles like this regularly? I know there was that 'Lens of Truth' site, but it was pretty assy from what I remember.

I just bought a Wiiu for my kids as a Xmas present (it's for me too of course) and I'd like to know how other 3rd party ports perform. I've even heard bad things about the Marvel Lego game on WiiU but I haven't found any actual performance analysis articles anywhere. If it's better on 360 or Ps3 I'd rather just buy the game on one of those platforms instead of bothering with the Wiiu version.

I'll buy a PS4 next year, but until then I'd like to know where I would be best spending my money on multi-plats.

RGT - Red tech gaming do lots of articles and video comparisons. Good analysis too AC4 PS4 vs PC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smdAgLFUDo4

and here is the article:

http://www.redgamingtech.com/assassins-creed-4-pc-vs-playstation-4-head-to-headd-graphical-analysis/

cheezcake

Im enjoying the game but I'm finding it physically difficult to play on the xbone just because of the over sharpening on distant foliage, its a really visually grating effect

Hell the sharpening filter is much much worse than the resolution difference

Not when the game looks and runs as good as it does on the Xbox One. The PS4 version is better, period, but I don't see anything that is 'serious' or 'worrying' about the state of the Xbox One version by comparison, knowing full well that it's a more difficult system to develop for.

This is not bayonetta or red dead redemption levels of bad. The game is quite solid on the Xbox One from all footage available, so I wouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Just celebrate the fact that the PS4 version is better, because it is, and can be proven to be better. However, don't expect people to suddenly think the Xbox One version is crap or trash simply because it isn't as nice as the PS4 version. It's far from a disaster, and it's just so petty otherwise. So, again, nothing serious or worrying at all.

What would be more worrying to me were I in the market for an XBONE is that they're already lowering resolution and effects on cross-gen titles and what that means for the long-term. This shouldn't be a situation like with the PS2 or PS3 where the hardware architecture is esoteric and difficult to work with and people can expect much better performance once they get a handle on the VPUs or SPEs.

Improved tools should help, but why shouldn't they help the PS4 just as much?

Chobel

Not when the game looks and runs as good as it does on the Xbox One. The PS4 version is better, period, but I don't see anything that is 'serious' or 'worrying' about the state of the Xbox One version by comparison, knowing full well that it's a more difficult system to develop for.

This is not bayonetta or red dead redemption levels of bad. The game is quite solid on the Xbox One from all footage available, so I wouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Just celebrate the fact that the PS4 version is better, because it is, and can be proven to be better. However, don't expect people to suddenly think the Xbox One version is crap or trash simply because it isn't as nice as the PS4 version. It's far from a disaster, and it's just so petty otherwise. So, again, nothing serious or worrying at all.

You know that wasn't PS3 fault, it was the devs.

cyberheater

lol

That gpu is pure ass, I don't see how they can do it even under heavy optimization.

CPU is up to the task, but the GPU is the Wii to Wii U levels of progress

Well I have to hope you are wrong and that MS did design the Xbox One to be capable of running these types of games at 1080p @ 30fps even if the current development tools aren't quite capable enough of squeezing the levels of performance required out of the hardware.
Certainly giving away 10% of the power of the GPU for rubbish like snap doesn't help.

YET

Were Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, or Skyrim launch games?

The worry is not in the here and now but the performance of what is to come

Do you honestly believe Bethesda of all people is going to put out a well functioning game on the XB1 given the complexity of the ESram? It's possible but I highly doubt it'll be a smooth gaming experience

Let's see what happens when Fallout 4 hits

CCIE

Banned

It's a bandwidth issue, and the only 1080p game on the One (developed by MS), has basically no AA... you can go for visuals, or resolution but not both. The comparable PC graphics card to the one just isn't capable of a good, AA solution at 1080p. Numerous developers are hinting as much as well.

But seriously, anyone who can do math knows that the majority of One games will never hit 1080p native. It comes down to visual effects, which are simply too costly for the GPU in the One. MS really, really gimped its console with the memory constraints. They didn't think gamers would care so much about 1080p.

Windforce

PS4 did as expected, but I'm very surprised at how bad was Wii U.

Please tell me I'm not wrong for expecting PS4 > Bone >> Wii U >> 360 > PS3?

What would be more worrying to me were I in the market for an XBONE is that they're already lowering resolution and effects on cross-gen titles and what that means for the long-term. This shouldn't be a situation like with the PS2 or PS3 where the hardware architecture is esoteric and difficult to work with and people can expect much better performance once they get a handle on the VPUs or SPEs.

Xbox 360 exclusives had lowered resolutions and effects at launch. Even titles beyond launch, such as Halo 3, had resolution compromises. I don't think this is as big a deal as some think. Two systems launched close together, one is packing quite a bit more raw power. What is so surprising about what we're seeing? They could have made both 1080p at 30fps, but then the xbox One version would look much more visually compromised, and nobody in the market for an Xbox One is interested in that. Better to compromise resolution first. I haven't seen many cases of effects being compromised on the xbox one version of games, unless people are referring to superior levels of AA on the PS4 version, which I would agree. The scaler on the Xbox One is having some less than ideal results. The one big omission effect wise on a multi game was ambient occlusion on BF4, which is in the xbox one version now, but I never really looked into what, if any, impact that had on performance. But it's way too soon to make certain conclusions, because COD2 had some serious framerate issues on the Xbox 360 at launch, and a much superior looking COD 4 came out later than ran better, apparently at a lower resolution, but then PGR3 went from lower resolution to higher resolution with better visuals in PGR4, and we know what took place with Halo 3 to Halo 4. I just think it's too early. What we're seeing is what was expected, the PS4 is easier to develop for, and has quite a bit more raw power.

It should have the advantages that it has, but I don't see anything yet from the xbox one side of things that should make Xbox One owners or future xbox one owners afraid. There has been no bayonetta or red dead redemption style debacle on the system just yet. If you want the better guarantee of 1080p, then the PS4 seems obvious. I'm not undermining the PS4's advantages, but I just don't anticipate anyone pulling out their hair on the xbox one side of the things either.

Don't even bother.

They will, it's the most stupid argument people have been throwing around lately. Of course the X1 development issues will be solved/minimized and the overall situation will improve, but that will also happen with PS4, which already has the lead, which kinda throws the whole thing down the drain.

turnbuckle

Little chance of that in my opinion

capturedspupn.png

Pixel fill rate is the most important element for higher resolutions and XB1 simply cannot compete at this point

I fully expect 720p - 900p games on the XB1 the entire gen

Looks like the Wii U is the most balanced

Pagusas

Elden Member
red dead on PS3 is a debacle? really? it seemed fine to me

Yeah why is anyone siting this? It had a lower resolution on the PS3 than 360 (just like Xbone has a lower resolution than PS4 for AC4) and slight Frame rate dips while.

Seems like AC4 is exactly like RDR was, except reversing the platforms.

And thats exactly how everyone should expect this gen to go for multiplats. Last gen both systems were more comparable, this gen one system has a clear advantage across the board. So if you want the best Multiplats, buy a PC. If you cant or dont want a PC, get a PS4. Buy a Xbone for media and exclusives, otherwise buy the ps4. Everything is made really simple this gen.

And the "sharpening and crushed blacks" filter make games look soooo friggin bad on the XBone. Though I've seen people cite ways to get around that. But yeah, for me it's 1080p or bust. Which pretty much ensures I'll never touch an Xbox. As picky as I am about graphics, it would be difficult to even consider getting a PS4. But I know there will be a few exclusives eventually that I won't be able to resist.

KingJ2002

Definitely think the Wii U & Xbox One versions didnt get enough love as they should have.

with more dev time they could have gotten the Xbox One version to 1080p and Wii U versions on par or better than the PS3 / Xbox 360 versions... it just wasn't the focus when the user base isn't there for the Wii U and the PS4 being a preferred platform. Considering there was a day one PS4 patch to bump things up on PS4... it's clear that the PS4 had more love and care than the other versions.

icespide

Banned
Yeah why is anyone siting this? It had a lower resolution on the PS3 than 360 (just like Xbone has a lower resolution than PS4 for AC4) and slight Frame rate dips while.

Seems like AC4 is exactly like RDR was, except reversing the platforms.

And thats exactly how everyone should expect this gen to go for multiplats. Last gen both systems were more comparable, this gen one system has a clear advantage across the board. So if you want the best Multiplats, buy a PC. If you cant or dont want a PC, get a PS4. Buy a Xbone for media and exclusives, otherwise buy the ps4. Everything is made really simple this gen.

the only real bummer from all that the xbox one will hold multi-platforms back from their potential

red dead on PS3 is a debacle? really? it seemed fine to me

I don't know, I had the 360 version, but many apparently said the game was in bad shape on the PS3, so I took their word for it. I'm 100% certain Bayonetta was a disaster on the PS3, however. I feel the Xbox One isn't doing so bad for itself so far. The PS4 is just, as expected, stronger, and it shows. The thing that I like is that rather than tone down other aspects of the game, developers are willing to bite the bullet on resolution for the xbox one version to achieve the performance they want with the level of graphics they want. If it were the opposite, where they targeted similar resolutions, but with notably decreased visual quality on the Xbox One, that would scare me.

Top Bottom