• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

a19kp23.png

a2yjrrs.png

Wii U is next gen

lol

Wii U games are selling so dismally that no one should expect any 3rd party which is even still supporting the Wii U, which is basically only Ubisoft at this point, to spend more than a modicum of effort on the port. What is the point of working hard on a port which is expected to sell 10,000 copies worldwide when the primary target consoles are expected to generate unit sales in the millions?

I can completely sympathize with that point. In fact, I almost expected the games I was buying to be poor ports, which is why I took the risk with ACIV (a series I loved until 3, which was boring and a letdown for my expectations of a Revolutionary War game) and Need for Speed: Most Wanted, both games that I had not intended buying. The biggest reason I bought them was to support the Wii U and third-party support.

That being said, I take umbrage with people using these rushed, low-priority ports as an indication of the Wii U's power or playability and with publishers who put out crappy games on the Wii/Wii U, then claim that they won't continue to support it because their crappy games didn't sell well.

a19kp23.png

Comparing the PC and PS4 in this pic, the PS4 version actually looks to have sharper textures compared to PC. The PC obviously has better AA than PS4.

Seance

Banned
I'm impressed with the PS4 version.
Xbone looks like ass.
WiiU looks as expected.

PC is the only real option.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. PS4 has the increased detail, PC has the superior IQ, as usual.

That's what I'm seeing as well, at least the textures seem to be more clear/detailed/higher res/not-blurred/whatever it is. Could be some unwanted side effect from the better AA in the PC shot?

We're only at launch at the visual differences to the Wii U version are significant.

It really will be a Wii situation all over again in a year.

Alchemy

This would be like if Metal Gear Solid 3 released as a PS3 launch title, at only a slightly better frame rate and resolution than the PS2 version and with identical assets. Next gen systems should tear through last gen games, and the Xbone isn't. That is troubling no matter how you spin it.

Xbone looks like ass.
WiiU looks as expected.

Nope...its not. Only for those who have a well equipped PC. If not then PS4 is the better option. And this is true for most next gen games released so far.

demolitio

We're only at launch at the visual differences to the Wii U version are significant.

It really will be a Wii situation all over again in a year.

Sadly, my Wii U is already just like my Wii (that sounded bad). It's dormant for quite a bit until the next big Nintendo game comes out. It's a good secondary console and one for playing with family in the same room, but that's it besides big exclusives like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, etc. So basically, I just wait until the next big game comes out, play it and then let it go dormant again. It's a sad reality because there's no reason to buy third-party games if you have other consoles that can do it better. It was expected to happen ever since the Wii U was announced but I'm hoping Nintendo starts picking up the slack. The Wii U depends on their internal teams afterall.

The more and more we get into this new generation, the less third-party games for Wii U and the bigger the discrepancies between X1 and PS4. It's just a matter of if those differences are enough to bother you or not but I hate it when people tell me how that shouldn't matter just because they don't supposedly care due to which side is affected this time.

I try to own all consoles and go where the games are and buy multi-platform games on the best performing system so of course it matters to me.

Xbone looks like ass.
WiiU looks as expected.

It takes a $1000+ PC to match the $400 PS4. I have a gaming PC with a GTX 680 and I have the PS4 version of AC4 and honestly it's not making me miss my PC at all. Ubisoft PC games have that Uplay shit so I'm happy to be on PS4 and have a truly PC-like experience.

TheExodu5

Banned
a19kp23.png

Comparing the PC and PS4 in this pic, the PS4 version actually looks to have sharper textures compared to PC. The PC obviously has better AA than PS4.

Textures are likely the same. The PC version's textures are probably being smoothed more by the AA technique applied.

I was considering picking up the Wii U version but now I guess I'll just wait until I get a PS4. If the Wii U version was at least on par with 360 I probably would have picked it up. Oh well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not sure I ever find anything on the boards (besides I'm canceling my preorder posts) as annoying as I do find "well MY copy is smooth!" posts.

Replicant

There are exceptions here, but a hard and fast rule that works 90% of the time is not to trust anyone with a Nintendo avatar about game quality/performance not named Aquamarine. Especially when it comes to gameplay performance, every release they went out of their way to declare the Wii U version superior based off of early impressions from other fans and no one ever called them on it because so few actually bought that version so it gets taken as fact and rarely gets corrected on this forum. I feel bad for those that bought it thinking it would be an improved version.

Heh, so true. I just shake my head everytime they post some blurry Wii U shots on that HD pic thread. It's like there's a blinder separating them and reality.

I imagine this is how Albert and Larry sleep at night after these DF comparisons
tumblr_mridnpSJuH1ruqf0qo1_400.gif

Right-clicked and saved GIF.

timlot

Banned
the PS4 version is sharper, but the PC one is more detailed. (But only slightly either way)

So sharp is good now. On another note. I get confused when folks bring up the $100 difference because XB1 has less GPU capability. You do realize XB1 and PS4 are two different experiences. When I say "Xbox On" it turn on and controls all my equipment and its becomes the center of my TV experience for everything vs a game machine sitting on the shelf waiting for me to play it again. Kinect voice, gestues, or the smart glass app on your phone or tablet can control the entire UI. That $100 need to be put in perspective.

Regular ass MSAA sucks simply due to lack of alpha coverage. If you add support for that it's no longer MSAA, really.

I don't understand the popularity.

Some of the post process solutions (SMAA) can look quite nice without impacting performance. Even without a performance hit I wouldn't use MSAA.

Sgssaa, txaa, and ssaa are all superior, but slower, options.

What do you think of the AA they use on the PS4 version? I think it has a performance similar to 4xMSAA to smooth the ropes of the ship and it looks even strangely less blurry than on PC.

To me it looks morphologically based AA. Do you have an opinion of the AA Ubisoft used?

So sharp is good now. On another note. I get confused when folks bring up the $100 difference because XB1 has less GPU capability. You do realize XB1 and PS4 are two different experiences. When I say "Xbox On" it turn on and controls all my equipment and its becomes the center of my TV experience for everything vs a game machine sitting on the shelf waiting for me to play it again. Kinect voice, gestues, or the smart glass app on your phone or tablet can control the entire UI. That $100 need to be put in perspective.

We are in a Graphics comparison thread though....

And you are in fact paying 100 dollars more for a significantly weaker graphics experience plus whatever benefits people perceive from the XB1 experience

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

0513_yeucr.gif

hemtae

Xbone looks like ass.
WiiU looks as expected.

For a game like this, PS4 is perfectly fine. Same resolution and mostly the same effects on the PS4 plus the framerate difference is mitigated by how hard it is to maintain 60fps.

CCIE

Banned

So you wanted more of a multimedia machine than a gaming one... different areas of focus. I would like to see more multimedia features on the PS4, but on the other hand, it plays games beautifully. At $100 less.

I'd take the Wii U's low-res, but untampered image quality over the X1's oversharpened crap any day.

Honestly, I am with you. That shit is beyond terrible. First thing is first: fire the dude, dudes, ladies, or whoever involved in thinking that filter was gonna be a good idea. Sheer incompetence.

Seance

Banned
For a game like this, PS4 is perfectly fine. Same resolution and mostly the same effects on the PS4 plus the framerate difference is mitigated by how hard it is to maintain 60fps.

900p =/= 1080p
60fps is a big deal

Sure PS4 is acceptable if you dont have a PC or maybe you want to multiplayer with PS friends or get trophies i guess.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
These are some screens neoenigma took in the Screenshot thread in case people haven't being blown away yet.

[ismg]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/11231202705_5fd82096d2_o.jpg[/img]
[ismg]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/11202058536_a9f6d10d9a_o.jpg[/img]
[ismg]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3770/11202159983_7ee8c4ff1a_o.jpg[/img]
[ismg]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5508/11202082636_f4f40a80ea_o.jpg[/img]

Supersampled to hell, but they are pretty. How shitty is the PC port?

Next-Gen console.
Current gen just like One and PS4.

But weaker than the prior gen in some ways just as Wii was over its prior gen. Wii was not a standard shader environment while the Xbox was. WiiU is actually a step up in that regard. Shader code should scale well across all platforms. WiiU just not being privvy to intensive effects or the same level of precision. And yes even in some ways coming up lacking in comparison to PS3/360.

I'd still wager this performance gap is more monetary than capability though.

Alchemy

900p =/= 1080p
60fps is a big deal

Sure PS4 is acceptable if you dont have a PC or maybe you want to multiplayer with PS friends or get trophies i guess.

PS4 version is 1080p now. 900p is what is was before being patched, and is the same resolution as the Xbone.

UNCMark

Banned
900p =/= 1080p
60fps is a big deal

This I agree with. If I had a PC that could run it at 60 FPS, I'd go for that one.

Man, if I could get back $100, make the XB1 sign me in without the Kinect recognizing me, and turn the UI into something that works well with a controller, I'd do it in a fraction of a second.

If I had the choice to pay $100 for the same thing, I probably would.

Kinect is awful. The only reason I have it plugged in is to sign in my profile.

Margalis

Banned
DF didn't say anything about torn frames. The Wii U versions of cross-platform games typically have lower FPS but no screen tearing. Personally I hate screen tearing.

You forgot "compared to PS4."

The XB1 is the most expensive console and the overall output is closer to Wii U than PS4.

These are some screens neoenigma took in the Screenshot thread in case people haven't being blown away yet.

11231202705_5fd82096d2_o.jpg

11202058536_a9f6d10d9a_o.jpg

11202159983_7ee8c4ff1a_o.jpg

11202082636_f4f40a80ea_o.jpg

Impressive. I really like Black Flag's setting. Too bad that I skipped on the AC franchise!
I would definitely buy this game if I had played all the previous games.

Current gen just like One and PS4.

But weaker than the prior gen in some ways just as Wii was over its prior gen. Wii was not a standard shader environment while the Xbox was. WiiU is actually a step up in that regard. Shader code should scale well across all platforms. WiiU just not being privvy to intensive effects or the same level of precision. And yes even in some ways coming up lacking in comparison to PS3/360.

I'd still wager this performance gap is more monetary than capability though.

I'd wager it's a shitty CPU more than anything. When this and Batman are running at significantly lower framerates than the PS3 counterparts... yea I'm not sure about this console. We've also not seen a game run at 1080p 60fps on Wii U and even that was possible on PS3. More money into CPU/GPU and less money on a fisher price tablet would have done the trick, silly Nintendo.

Top Bottom