• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

MSAA is still pretty damn awesome. You can't just sort the lack of alpha as making it terrible. It still is pretty amazing on a LOT of games man. Performance aside I will take 2xMSAA over FXAA alone any day of the week. 4xMSAA and you have a really decent IQ.

That being said SG and OG SSAA are tops imo. TSSAA is also amazing for how it basically saved IQ on the PS4.

We are in a Graphics comparison thread though....

And you are in fact paying 100 dollars more for a significantly weaker graphics experience plus whatever benefits people perceive from the XB1 experience

timlot is the kind of poster that posts this crap in a thread called "Xbox One hardware breakdown by ExtremeTech.com after HotChips reveal".

TheExodu5

Banned
These are some screens neoenigma took in the Screenshot thread in case people haven't being blown away yet.

11231202705_5fd82096d2_o.jpg

11202058536_a9f6d10d9a_o.jpg

11202159983_7ee8c4ff1a_o.jpg

11202082636_f4f40a80ea_o.jpg

And herein lies the beauty of the PC version. With hardware powerful enough, supersampling will lead to a much better looking game than any of the console versions. However, don't underestimate the amount of hardware needed to run AC4 with that kind of IQ at an acceptable framerate.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Uncompressed PS4 shots, I think. The kind Sony won't allow us normals to take with our PS4 yet. Gotta have capture equipment to do it.

Zero fucking chance those are PS4 shots, or even running at native 1080p on PC. They're supersampled to hell and back. That's why they're so clean.

hemtae

900p =/= 1080p
60fps is a big deal

Sure PS4 is acceptable if you dont have a PC or maybe you want to multiplayer with PS friends or get trophies i guess.

Its 1080p on the PS4 now. I'm aware of how good 60fps is (I was going to get a 120hz monitor until g-sync was announced), but ubisoft supposedly borked the PC version.

900p =/= 1080p
60fps is a big deal

Sure PS4 is acceptable if you dont have a PC or maybe you want to multiplayer with PS friends or get trophies i guess.

Each there own and all that for sure

PS4 does make a good showing but if framerate is one of your top priorities then yes PC is always going to be the way to go

timlot is the kind of poster that posts this crap in a thread called "Xbox One hardware breakdown by ExtremeTech.com after HotChips reveal".

Ah ok I realize now my comments will have little effect on what he does in a graphics thread

UNCMark

Banned
Zero fucking chance those are PS4 shots, or even running at native 1080p on PC. They're supersampled to hell and back. That's why they're so clean.

Oh, the other guy said they came from the Next Gen screenshots thread, where one of the rules of the thread is that it has to be from One, PS4, or Wii U. Someone broke the rules, it seems.

I should have known better though, because I played it on PS4 and it looked nothing like that.

jsip

Banned
So sharp is good now. On another note. I get confused when folks bring up the $100 difference because XB1 has less GPU capability. You do realize XB1 and PS4 are two different experiences. When I say "Xbox On" it turn on and controls all my equipment and its becomes the center of my TV experience for everything vs a game machine sitting on the shelf waiting for me to play it again. Kinect voice, gestues, or the smart glass app on your phone or tablet can control the entire UI. That $100 need to be put in perspective.
I know, bro. I'd easily pay 100 bucks to use multiple mice and keyboards on my PC. Why need to pay more so we can use more peripherals that all accomplish the same thing! I'm with you!

There are a few small throwaway references to the old games, but for all intents and purposes AC4 should have been a new franchise.

I can skip ACIII?

Seriously? I've played up to Revolutions but couldn't get through III been meaning to beat it and move on but no go as of yet

I'd wager it's a shitty CPU more than anything. When this and Batman are running at significantly lower framerates than the PS3 counterparts... yea I'm not sure about this console. We've also not seen a game run at 1080p 60fps on Wii U and even that was possible on PS3. More money into CPU/GPU and less money on a fisher price tablet would have done the trick, silly Nintendo.

I question that. The CPU is definitely lacking in comparison to the SIMD heavy CPU's of the PS360... but then again so are PS4's and One's. And it didn't really hinder ACIII. That ran at parity with the PS3 version with minor compromises in comparison to the 360 version. The only thing that changed in that year is the sales of Ubi's titles and the future of the hardware. System documentation got better, the hardware didn't get any worse.

I'd still bet it was monetary.

Mithos

I'm not sure I ever find anything on the boards (besides I'm canceling my preorder posts) as annoying as I do find "well MY copy is smooth!" posts.

I can... The technical specs "paper" guy, that BLINDLY just accept that because this paper say it, everyone that disagrees are idiots/blind or whatever insult they throw at you.

Any thread about LCD/Plasma/CRT is a good place to find these type of posts, to take one example.

cakely

So sharp is good now. On another note. I get confused when folks bring up the $100 difference because XB1 has less GPU capability. You do realize XB1 and PS4 are two different experiences. When I say "Xbox On" it turn on and controls all my equipment and its becomes the center of my TV experience for everything vs a game machine sitting on the shelf waiting for me to play it again. Kinect voice, gestues, or the smart glass app on your phone or tablet can control the entire UI. That $100 need to be put in perspective.

Interesting! Would you describe that experience as "Magical"?

Cragvis

Really? Ok, that's nice. I only played AC 1 and I found that game so boring, I just couldn't finish it.

I can skip ACIII?

Seriously? I've played up to Revolutions but couldn't get through III been meaning to beat it and move on but no go as of yet

Yea, ac1 was boring, 2 was great, then I moved to 3 and it was very meh.

black flag is just awesome. There is no real tie in with the others, other than them breaking the 4th wall, and saying your dude is the grandfather of connor in the 3rd game, but thats it.

its really its own experience. and they did the series right with black flag. I would not be surprised if it was intended to be a separate pirate game as a new IP.

So no need to have played any other ac game. its got its own real world story going, and the pirate part is its own.

And herein lies the beauty of the PC version. With hardware powerful enough, supersampling will lead to a much better looking game than any of the console versions. However, don't underestimate the amount of hardware needed to run AC4 with that kind of IQ at an acceptable framerate.

That is like duel Titan stuff right there. No way most people are even getting close and keeping 60FPS. I can dream but my 770 will be just fine at whatever I can manage.

I'm just glad I can finally look at my fellow PS owners and not cringe that they are playing an AC game in fucking megabad IQ.

Yea, ac1 was boring, 2 was great, then I moved to 3 and it was very meh.

black flag is just awesome. There is no real tie in with the others, other than them breaking the 4th wall, and saying your dude is the grandfather of connor in the 3rd game, but thats it.

its really its own experience. and they did the series right with black flag. I would not be surprised if it was intended to be a separate pirate game as a new IP.

So no need to have played any other ac game. its got its own real world story going, and the pirate part is its own.

I played about 4 hours of III, then dropped it, so yes.

Picking up ACIV as soon as I can then :)

Can't wait

I question that. The CPU is definitely lacking in comparison to the SIMD heavy CPU's of the PS360... but then again so are PS4's and One's. And it didn't really hinder ACIII. That ran at parity with the PS3 version with minor compromises in comparison to the 360 version. The only thing that changed in that year is the sales of Ubi's titles and the future of the hardware. System documentation got better, the hardware didn't get any worse.

I'd still bet it was monetary.

Isn't this game pushing more than AC3 though? I never played it due to obvious reasons but I'm pretty sure I read the devs had a hard time working on the PS360 (and assuming Wii U too) versions in comparison to the next gen versions.

You could be right, but it just seems weird that two huge recent titles like Batman and Assassins Creed performing worse than PS3 versions just for monetary reasons, especially considering the different publishers. But then if you are right, then this problem is only gonna get worse as less and less Wii U owners buy third party games.

Picking up ACIV as soon as I can then :)

Can't wait

Thank you. I have all of them before 3 and cannot play many of them anymore because of TERRIBAD IQ. 2 was just horrendous as most people know with the pop-in. And the others are not much better in terms of IQ. I just can't play through that stuff anymore. 2 is just sooooo bad OMG.

AC3 I might buy when it is 5 dollars but can anyone here clue me in on how bad pop-in is on 3 or the one before that?

Isn't this game pushing more than AC3 though? I never played it due to obvious reasons but I'm pretty sure I read the devs had a hard time working on the PS360 (and assuming Wii U too) versions in comparison to the next gen versions.

You could be right, but it just seems weird that two huge recent titles like Batman and Assassins Creed performing worse than PS3 versions just for monetary reasons, especially considering the different publishers. But then if you are right, then this problem is only gonna get worse as less and less Wii U owners buy third party games.
In both cases the PS3/360 versions outsold the WiiU releases by 40 to 1. Since then the WiiU has had 10 months of its first year selling less than 7 year old hardware. Software sales have stagnated further than they were at launch (and they were very bad).

I'd say either ACIV or Batman port teams would be lucky if they had 20 people working on them. Versus the 700 working on the main AC team. Mainly because there isn't money in the WiiU ecosystem. Little investment because likely very little return.

Izayoi

Banned
Impressive. I really like Black Flag's setting. Too bad that I skipped on the AC franchise!
I would definitely buy this game if I had played all the previous games.
Buy it anyway. It's the best entry in the series, I think (although AC2 is still a really fantastic game and I would strongly recommend playing it).

Better yet, buy AC2 now, and if you like it, know that you'll love AC4. :>

Rivver

Banned
So the PS4 has better frame rate, graphics, and resolution?

I know which console I'll use to play multiplats this generation.

These are some screens neoenigma took in the Screenshot thread in case people haven't being blown away yet.

11231202705_5fd82096d2_o.jpg

11202058536_a9f6d10d9a_o.jpg

11202159983_7ee8c4ff1a_o.jpg

11202082636_f4f40a80ea_o.jpg

Jebus. Serious question: How much would someone have to spend on a PC (in $) to play the game looking like that locked at 30fps? That looks unbelievably good.

Joeki11a

Banned
RGB limited is not crap. That's the mistake almost all people make. Limited sounds negative i guess.

It depends on TV, on mine default limited is that fuzzy crap image you see here. Soon as I switch it to Full it looks clean and everything pops.

I bet you these comparisons people dont even switch it to Full they go by "Default" settings and Ps4 like ps3 will always lose on that "pop" image quality factor, textures and resolution that ps4 wins of course

What does being able to turn on the xbox one by speaking to it have anything to do with the discussion at hand ?
People bring up the $100 price difference because they are speaking of the machines in a context of game consoles and the experience of playing games on these machines. And the ps4 is doing a better of being a game machine than the xbox one.
Btw this thread is about an article comparing the different versions of a multiplat game if you hadnt noticed.

93xfan

Banned
I've been very impressed with the consistent framerate on PS4.

Same here. There's just something nice about being able to expect a perfect frame rate even in the most chaotic circumstances. Not to mention, how often do we get that in an open world game?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
just set XBONE to 720p output...

That works on 720p native games, but AC4 is 900p and would still go through the scaler if you set the console to 720p. Do we actually know that the filter is off under those circumstances?

What's up with reflection of the distant boat in the first 3, doesn't make sense.

Those aren't reflections. You're seeing the part of the boat that's underwater.

It depends on TV, on mine default limited is that fuzzy crap image you see here. Soon as I switch it to Full it looks clean and everything pops.

I bet you these comparisons people dont even switch it to Full they go by "Default" settings and Ps4 like ps3 will always lose on that "pop" image quality factor, textures and resolution that ps4 wins of course

Use of the word "pop" leads me to believe that you're one of those people who's using full incorrectly, and enjoying the crush.

Yoday

It would be nice to know what framerate the XB1 and PS4 versions are running at. Since the games are locked at a pretty much never wavering 30fps, we know that they are running at something between that and 60. It would be interesting to see if the PS4 version is not only running with more AA and a higher resolution, but also a higher framerate. I get the feeling that this generation is going to be filled with games that look the same on both platforms, but with the PS4 version always running at 180 - 360 lines of resolution higher, more AA, and a locked framerate with the XB1 versions starting to dip below 30 more regularly. I think Watchdogs is going to be one of the most telling games when it comes time to do comparisons.

Also, I really hope the nasty sharpening filter is software based and not hardware based. I know nothing of that tech, so I don't even know if it can be hardware based, but I hope it's not. They need to get rid of that filter as fast as they possibly can because I highly doubt 1080p is ever going to be commonplace outside of sports games.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
We know that PS4 is running at a higher framerate.
PS4 dropped 0 out of 432,000 frames while they monitored it. Xbone dropped some. They didn't say exactly how many.
But yeah, to have that consistency PS4 has to be capable of running well over 30fps.

Joeki11a

Banned
Well, there you go - you had gimped the image quality by having sharpness on. When you dialled it back, the IQ improved. AMAZING!

What you talking about?, the quality is soo sharp after the patch that RGF Full makes it even sharper and like those new screens posted here being confused for PC shots.

I seen flickering on AC games since Ps3, so I lower the sharpness just enough but I dont fuzzy textures quality just less flcker.

We know that PS4 is running at a higher framerate.
PS4 dropped 0 out of 432,000 frames while they monitored it. Xbone dropped some. They didn't say exactly how many.
But yeah, to have that consistency PS4 has to be capable of running well over 30fps.

I actually wonder if they uncapped it how much fps the PS4 could get. The engine seems to be no problem for the PS4 hardware as it is locked exactly at 30 fps no matter how busy the scene gets. I'm assuming it was locked because consistent 30 fps feels smoother than fps jumping up and down all the time.

Top Bottom