• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry VS Bethesda: PS3 Skyrim is still shit

Gustav

Banned
I want my money back, Bethesda. And I'm not selling my copy for less than I bought it for and support you with an additional 360 copy. Unless Bethesda shows some good will and compensates PS3 gamers, I will never buy another Bethesda product again.

Xater

I want my money back, Bethesda. And I'm not selling my copy for less that I bought it for and support you with an additional 360 copy. Unless Bethesda shows some good will and compensates PS3 gamers, I will never buy another Bethesda product again.

I did not expect this to happen so I sold it. sadly Gamestop didn't take my copy back. And even though I now have a 360 again I am not going to pay any money for this game again.

Hanmik

I still have a wrapped copy lying here on my desk.. I loved Oblivion on PS3, never had any problems with that game.. I REALLY want to play this game.. but damn I hate Lag .. I hate it so much.. I Think Bethesda should come clean and tell us if they can or will repair the game on ps3.. they owe us consumers that much.

I'd like to hear from him how Bethesda plans to update Skyrim for those people who don't have internet access. I've posed the question several times in this very thread, without any response.

I love the idea of community managers identifying themselves and posting on these boards, it seems like a perfect way for this community (GAF) to communicate with developers, and vice-versa. I would, however, expect those managers to be available to address issues and problems that people might be experiencing, and not just use GAF as a means to advertise their game.

Watching Arne from Naughty Dog do just that (address a problem), and going so far as to actually invite GAF'ers into their studios to troubleshoot an issue that people on this board were having, was incredible, and really demonstrated their commitment to this community, and their community in general. He did this within a day or two of the games launch.

Nick, on the other hand, waited almost a full month after the release of the game to address issues people were having with Skyrim. He (presumably) ignored at least 2 threads dedicated to the serious problems people were having:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451621&highlight=skyrim+console

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453208&highlight=skyrim+unplayable

He didn't post once in those threads above.

He popped in for 1 day to address people in this thread, almost a full month after the release of the game - basically downplaying the severity of the problems, and posting gems like:

you said a mouthful :) . ironically, his absence that entire period said more about where bethesda's truly coming from than anything he's actually ended up saying since. indicating that maybe, if he's not here simply to shill, & really does want people to know what's going on, he should probably just stay away :) ...

X26

Banned
there needs to be a class action lawsuit concerning this

pathetic to release it like this, not fix, it, and will probably have dlc released for it regardless

Worst thing is Skyrim PS3 will be found under many, many Christmas trees.

Shitty on Bethesda part to release a broken game but also shameful on reviewing sites and gaming "journalists" for being silent and not WARNING people to not buy the PS3 version until the problem is fixed.

Just sent this to Bethesda customer service. I doubt anything will happen, but I feel the need to send something. This is all so frustrating.

I am requesting a refund or voucher to repurchase Skyrim on a different console than PS3. As a consumer, I feel that I was intentionally deceived and misled by Bethesda for releasing what is an unplayable game due to core technical flaws that are unlikely to be resolved.

After playing Skyrim for 60+ hours, downloading all available updates, and following every step recommended on the Bethesda forums (clearing game data cache, turning off all auto saves, etc) the game's frame rate suffers a massive deterioration where it is difficult to even move a few steps forward in the game, let alone partake in combat or other action events. In addition, my PS3 already had a SSD installed prior to Skyrim. Bethesda's recommendation for upgrading to SSD seems to be the last ditch effort by to pin the problem on everyone but themselves.

Skyrim for PlayStation 3 is unfit for sale and my $60 (USD) has now gone to waste since the game is already plummeting in value on the used market due to the aforementioned issues.

Lastly, I do not expect any future patch to resolve these issues largely in part because Bethesda is unwilling to even admit to the "ticking time bomb" critical flaw with the PS3 version.

In conclusion, I feel it is within reason for me to mail my copy of Skyrim (PS3) back to you and have my money refunded or a voucher to repurchase Skyrim on PC (I don't own a x360). It isn't that your game is bad, in fact it is a great deal of fun (when it worked). I have owned or rented over 80 PS3 titles since the system's launch and experienced a gamut of game quality. However, at no point did any game become literally unplayable on my PS3. Ironically, the last game to cause chronic locks ups and errors on my PS3 was Fallout 3. Bethesda provided no indication that Skyrim on PlayStation 3 was going to suffer such severe issues.

Please consider this reasonable resolution. As you can imagine, for most people these days, $60 is not a sum of money you can just "burn" and move on.

Sincerely,
Anthony

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well... the price of this game is sinking like a stone on Amazon.

Put my listing up a bit earlier... should have done this two weeks ago.

FUCK BETHESDA.

never again....

LiK

I did not expect this to happen so I sold it. sadly Gamestop didn't take my copy back. And even though I now have a 360 again I am not going to pay any money for this game again.
Seriously? Gamestop won't take Skyrim PS3? Isolated?

You know that if everyone here complaining about the PS3 version took the time to write a 1-star Amazon review, Bethesda would pretty much have to address this. I already wrote mine, saying that it's borderline criminal that Amazon and Bethesda are still knowingly selling a broken product. That will get their attention much quicker than posting here. Shoot some e-mails to sites like the Consumerist as well. Sadly the only way to get results these days is by publicly shaming a company. Disgusting!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You know that if everyone here complaining about the PS3 version took the time to write a 1-star Amazon review, Bethesda would pretty much have to address this. I already wrote mine, saying that it's borderline criminal that Amazon and Bethesda are still knowingly selling a broken product. That will get their attention much quicker than posting here. Shoot some e-mails to sites like the Consumerist as well. Sadly the only way to get results these days is by publicly shaming a company. Disgusting!

Oh.... I'll write a that review
after my copy sells

Good call, just did my one star review.

Respawn

Banned

Shitty on Bethesda part to release a broken game but also shameful on reviewing sites and gaming "journalists" for being silent and not WARNING people to not buy the PS3 version until the problem is fixed.

I think that's the main thing here, they want their Christmas sales. Basically it's f'ck little John and his lag.

frequency

For me, this entire ordeal just highlights the ridiculous notion that defective software can't be refunded like other defective products.
How did this ever become an acceptable standard?

For me, this entire ordeal just highlights the ridiculous notion that defective software can't be refunded like other defective products.
How did this ever become an acceptable standard?

I blame it on the spineless nature of Nerds. Seriously. Try pulling off this shit with cars or other electronic devices, even other entertainment products, and you have an angry mob at the companies doorstep claiming for heads.

Hell McDonalds was successfully sued because some old lady was too stupid to realize that coffee is hot.

And even then, consumers outside of gaming demand their consumer rights. If you get a non working license of Photoshop you can insist on Adobe getting you a working one... with games... no dice.

And as long as those mindless fanboyish drones keep singing the praise of their holy corporate overlords, without even a single moment of critical thinking, this shit will only go worse. Especially when the whole enthusiast press is comprised of mindless sheep that are content with being an elongated PR pipeline.

Many companies in this industry have some very shady practices at work, and it is by far the most consumer hostile industry I can think off... well maybe tobacco...

Duly noted; I'm on it.

Just noticed that there are nearly as many 1-star reviews (137) as there are 5-star ones (145).

Yup, if you read the 5-star reviews you'll find that they're either:

A) Consumers who have bought the product, and haven't logged enough hours to hit game breaking bugs.

B) Consumers who think Bethesda can do no wrong.

C) Obvious plants, whose review follows the typical fake review pattern.

Come on guys, let's tip the scales of justice back in our direction. The PS3 version is so fucked that you'd really be doing the gaming community a service.

Fantasmo

I blame it on the spineless nature of Nerds. Seriously. Try pulling off this shit with cars or other electronic devices, even other entertainment products, and you have an angry mob at the companies doorstep claiming for heads.

Hell McDonalds was successfully sued because some old lady was too stupid to realize that coffee is hot.

And even then, consumers outside of gaming demand their consumer rights. If you get a non working license of Photoshop you can insist on Adobe getting you a working one... with games... no dice.

And as long as those mindless fanboyish drones keep singing the praise of their holy corporate overlords, without even a single moment of critical thinking, this shit will only go worse. Especially when the whole enthusiast press is comprised of mindless sheep that are content with being an elongated PR pipeline.

Many companies in this industry have some very shady practices at work, and it is by far the most consumer hostile industry I can think off... well maybe tobacco...
Amen.

Defending people who are pissing on you is probably the saddest thing I've witnessed in my life.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Fixed? I would love to see shattered glass fixed... But it's impossible

genjiZERO

great idea! Done.

It would gain a lot more momentum if gaming journalists would stop pretending that it isn't a big deal. If this is the best game of the year, then how is it not a big deal that the developer of that title knowingly released a broken product to a large portion of their customers? At least some of those consumers will never be able to get it fixed because they don't have an internet connection for a patch, and that's making the huge assumption that Bethesda ever actually manages to fix it.

I really can't think of another instance where this has happened to such a high profile title. Especially on a console. This isn't some bargain bin game from some shovelware developer/publisher. It's a game from a company that's supposedly a Triple A developer, and one that has a massive marketing and development budget. There's no excuse for this.

Chuckpebble

I got a copy as a gift for someone and I've been holding out hope that some fix would come along before christmas. After reading the last page, looks like thats a no go. So I'll be returning it.

So I'd love to to leave a bad review somewhere, but I bought it in store at a Target. How can I help?

frequency

I'm not sure some negative Amazon user reviews would do much when Skyrim is winning GOTY and Bethesda is winning Studio/Developer of the Year and the same sites that bring up the issue also have a 9.5 review score on the very same page.

I got a copy as a gift for someone and I've been holding out hope that some fix would come along before christmas. After reading the last page, looks like thats a no go. So I'll be returning it.

So I'd love to to leave a bad review somewhere, but I bought it in store at a Target. How can I help?

You don't need to have bought it from Amazon to leave a review. I bought it elsewhere, and have played enough to believe my 1-star review is fair.

I'm not sure some negative Amazon user reviews would do much when Skyrim is winning GOTY and Bethesda is winning Studio/Developer of the Year and the same sites that bring up the issue also have a 9.5 review score on the very same page.

At the very least it might help some poor sap getting it or worse yet, his/her parents buying it for them for xmas.

It'll have a cascading effect. A 1-star average will still lead to lost sales, Bethesda will somehow acknowledge this, an hopefully, but I doubt it, it will lead to the "gaming press" covering the issue. It's worked in the past.

genjiZERO

here's what I wrote:

This game is utterly broken. The first time I turned it on it fatally froze within 5 minutes. It consistently freezes after 20 minutes or so of regular gameplay, and you have to hard-reset the PS3. I have literally never had another PS3 game do that. If you have a game save over about 6mb it will stutter as the frame-rate drops considerably. It's nearly unplayable when that happens. The fact that Bethesda released a game so buggy and broken is profoundly unprofessional, and dare I say, fraudulent. It escapes my mind how this could not have escaped Bethesda during the testing phase. The only conclusion that I can reasonably come to is that they knew the game was broken but released it anyway. Rubbing salt in the wounds of owners the game is not fixable because of the way the basic code for the game and PS3 hardware structure interact. The sad truth is that Bethesda seems to have intentionally released a game that they knew would become unplayable after about 30 hours just to make money. The game is a lemon. If you need a game get Dark Souls - it's a smarter, more engrossing and better developed game anyway.

railGUN

Banned
GotY awards are trivial and matter none at all. Even if you like to pretend they do, there's nothing noteworthy to complain about here unless they are specifically awarding the PS3 version. :)

Studio of the Year awards on the other hand, while still trivial, are specifically awarding the company that produced the PS3 version.

From my perspective, on PC and at it's best, Skyrim is GOTY. On PS3, it's deception/failure of the year.

And I would agree with you completely, as long as the award spells out that the GOTY is for the PC and 360 versions and NOT the PS3. Unfortunately, I don't think most game journalists could even be bothered to put in that disclaimer.

frequency

Canadians can trade the game in at Future Shop for 50 bucks. Got rid of mine on Sunday.

Unless you're in Winnipeg like I am. :(
Some stupid by-laws about trading and money or something. FS here doesn't do trade ins or used games.
Winnipeg is terrible.

Also, there is no way the media will mention that GOTY doesn't apply to the PS3 version. Most can't even be bothered to mention there's an issue to begin with. They won't go out of their way to disclaimer their GOTY stuff.

None of these game awards mean anything to me, but they do to a lot of other people. I'm pretty sure the average guy seeing GOTY from "professional critics" would believe that over some random user reviews. But eh. It can't hurt to leave a review anyway!

I just love how on podcasts and everything, all these media people are so quick to point out stupid stuff like "PS3 version has less grass textures" for other games, but when one is absolutely broken, they can't be bothered to even bring it up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And I would agree with you completely, as long as the award spells out that the GOTY is for the PC and 360 versions and NOT the PS3. Unfortunately, I don't think most game journalists could even be bothered to put in that disclaimer.

If they win, I swear, the media better put a disclaimer there noting how bad the PS3 version. At the very least take away some merit from an awesome game due to the piss poor handling on the PS3 side.

I'll be interested in Game Trailers GotY awards. If their GotY is multiplaform it'll also win the best game in their platform specific awards. I'd like to hear the narrator describe why Skyrim PS3 is better than some other games released on that system this year.

Chuckpebble

You don't need to have bought it from Amazon to leave a review. I bought it elsewhere, and have played enough to believe my 1-star review is fair.

I don't feel altogether right posting a review to Amazon considering I haven't opened/played the game. But this is a strange situation. I mean it is pretty much guaranteed there will be an issue with this copy, right?

Zwei

I don't feel altogether right posting a review to Amazon considering I haven't opened/played the game. But this is a strange situation. I mean it is pretty much guaranteed there will be an issue with this copy, right?

Well, Bethesda felt "altogether right" releasing a broken game to paying consumers, so..

Yup. They are all broken by default. Whether you choose to post a review or not is up to you.

genjiZERO

it has to do with the basic programming of the game. The game is broken at it's core.

I think that's the main thing here, they want their Christmas sales. Basically it's f'ck little John and his lag.

DaveChappelle-LilJohn.gif

Fantasmo

Well, Bethesda felt "altogether right" releasing a broken game to paying consumers, so..
Damned if you do damned if you don't. Bethesda is celebrating, when they should be ashamed. God forbid they do the right thing and offer a refund. It's such a fundamental flaw I have a hard time believing any copy works right.

Top Bottom