• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry VS Bethesda: PS3 Skyrim is still shit

Soi-Fong

My question is are these issues actually widespread for PS3 users? Some of my friends have been playing it and one even got the platinum trophy for the game and they didn't complain at all about lag or anything like that.

My question is are these issues actually widespread for PS3 users? Some of my friends have been playing it and one even got the platinum trophy for the game and they didn't complain at all about lag or anything like that.

What Issues Are You Experiencing, If Any?

Severe Framerate Drops - 13,301 Votes (36.02%)
Textures Fail to Load - 7,026 Votes (19.03%)
Excessive Game Freezes - 7,509 Votes (20.34%)
None of the Above - 9,086 Votes (24.61%)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1213194p1.html

You don't have to do a whole lot in the game to get a platinum. With plenty of tricks to leveling you can get to 50 in no time. (lvl 53 here and I am barely 5 quests into the main story line) You can also continue to re roll several characters and get different trophies with each. The issues come as you play longer and longer with one character, that is, your save file gets bigger and bigger.

I don't think they said this would be the patch the fix it, I think this was just for resistances and dragons flying backwards. The patch after should be focusing on the lag,

Jaeyden

People need to quit deluding themselves. The patch to fix the frame rate issue is NEVER going to come. FFS this isn't the first or even the second game they've made for PS3 with the problem. None of them have been fixed, so why would Skyrim be any different. Sell the game, never buy another Bethesda product as long as you live and move on to supporting developers that care about your gaming experience.

Demon Ice

Banned
Did Bethesda even acknowledge / attempt to fix the issue in Fallout 3? Or is this the first time they are actually trying to patch it. That IGN poll is pretty telling...only roughly a quarter of users DO NOT have any issues...and there's a good chance a lot of those users simply haven't played long enough to accumulate the save file size.

It is you see, fundamentally messed up on a level that I view as patently unfit for release. And apparently Bethesda had no idea that the game it had spent years building and testing was so broken. I mean it can’t have known. Otherwise it’s quietly, knowingly released a busted product and cynically dicked over a large part of its fan-base. And the worst part? I saw this coming weeks ago. And it’s partly that very fan-base’s fault.

I knew this was going to happen. I bloody knew it. I was predicting exactly this occurrence around the office weeks before release. Why? Because I played Fallout 3. More specifically I reviewed all of its PS3 DLC. That was a week of black, endless night and seething, fevered Lovecraftian horror. Make no mistake, that shit was broken, and it was broken in exactly the same way that PS3 Skyrim is. Couple that previous experience with the fact that PS3 Skyrim code was conspicuously thin on the ground in the run up to the game’s release and you’ll understand why my stinker-sense was tingling.

I really didn’t want to be right. And when my PS3 playing friends and colleagues started ploughing happily through Skyrim for hours on end, I breathed a sigh of relief, satisfied that, this time at least, my cynicism had been over-sensitively placed.

And then yesterday the reports of disaster, disappointment and personal loss started to come through. One by one, all of my friends hit the 25 – 30 hour mark. One by one their games collapsed in on themselves. Frame rates fell apart. Key quest characters stopped interacting, or disappeared entirely. I have never seen so many people so quickly go from being so happy to so sad and broken.

But the thing is, with Bethesda it is expected. They’ve been getting away with it for years, and that’s why as much as I’m loving Skyrim (on my 360), I can never truly support Beth as a company. Name one Bethesda-developed game in recent memory that has been released in an acceptable technical state. You can’t, because there aren’t any. Yes, I know that launch glitches are something we accept these days (and I've already written about why we shouldn’t), but Bethesda are a special case. Their bugs aren’t just graphical issues or matchmaking problems. They’re cases of products fundamentally not being fit for sale. Check out thus bug list for Fallout 3. And this one for New Vegas.They're as hilarious as they are terrifying.

But Bethesda keep getting away with it because consumers keep letting them. “Bugs? Oh that’s just the way Bethesda games are” Well f*ck that. No-one else is so consistently shoddy. No-one else of their profile can be actively relied upon to put out a knackered product. I get that these games are big and complicated. I get that some bugs are funny and add character. But let’s get real here. That culture of acceptable shoddiness is what has lead us here. Let a company get away with less serious problems and they’ll (consciously or not) see that as a license to get away with bigger ones. And then we get situations like this. I’m sick of seeing fans blindly defend the company in comments sections and on forums, and then complain – again - when something like this inevitably happens. It’s your fault.

And this is the same problem we’ve seen in previous Bethesda games. And they got away with it then, so it’s happened again now. Think about that, people.

I have contacted Bethesda with a set of questions relating to all aspects of this matter. So far we have not received a response, but should a direct reply come through, I will of course publish it for you.

http://www.gamesradar.com/high-hors...inevitable-inexcusable-and-may-be-your-fault/

I'm happy that someone acknowledged how quickly gamers are willing to accept buggy games just because a game happens to be big.

Why isn't Bethesda getting sued so far? I see EA getting their ass sued fast due to bf3 but not this?

Cognitive dissonance due to the critical acclaim and 360 users having no issues. It's really, really fucking sad.

All the "THIS IS THE GOTY" which is wrong has clouded over these problems.

I was mad about the sporadic bugs in LotR:WitN until hearing about Skyrim on PS3. I'm curious which game will be patched successfully first. At least we know with WitN that they've actually fixed the main bugs and the patch is in final testing, and their team has gotten layoffs while Bethesda is getting to sit on GOTY laurels and $650 million in sales.

Seriously, no, I'm not comparing the challenge of fixing a linear loot'n'scoot game with fixing a game like Skyrim, but Bethesda could really be handling this better.

Why isn't Bethesda getting sued so far? I see EA getting their ass sued fast due to bf3 but not this?

It should be only a matter of time. If a lawsuiot can be filed against EA over the BF 1943 issue, then this is a no-brainer. And hopefully Bethesda will get hit hard financially when it does happen. I guess that's the only way they may actually learn to polish a game before releasing it since game journalists don't want to do their jobs.

It should be only a matter of time. If a lawsuiot can be filed against EA over the BF 1943 issue, then this is a no-brainer. And hopefully Bethesda will get hit hard financially when it does happen. I guess that's the only way they may actually learn to polish a game before releasing it since game journalists don't want to do their jobs.

Media will be on their side if they get sued, which would make this all the more interesting. Companies that show such a lack of empathy towards their customers will never, ever be hurt by message board posts or protests.

You want to hurt these fuckers, you aim for their wallets.

So I pray and hope that they get sued. You do not deserve an ounce of success or acclaim if you willingly release a broken product

I agree. They can get all the GOTY's in the world and 10 million sales but for justice to be served they NEED to either recall PS3 version or simply face a class-action lawsuit that should be heavily monitored by the media.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm not sure some negative Amazon user reviews would do much when Skyrim is winning GOTY and Bethesda is winning Studio/Developer of the Year and the same sites that bring up the issue also have a 9.5 review score on the very same page.
Actually, getting upvoted as "The most helpful critical review" would get the attention of Bethesda because it would tell people to avoid the PS3 version of their product.

Infact, there is already a 1star review as most helpful criticial review: http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls...sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
As someone who initially bought the PS3 version and sold it back to GameStop at a loss for the PC version that has constant CTDs which was surprisingly evenly exchanged for the relatively bug free X360 version, I can say I have learned a lesson: never buy a Bethesda game that has a ton of marketing on the x360 for any other system.

Takuan

http://www.gamesradar.com/high-hors...inevitable-inexcusable-and-may-be-your-fault/

I'm happy that someone acknowledged how quickly gamers are willing to accept buggy games just because a game happens to be big.
I don't think any PS3 owner who has invested heavy time into the game is willing to accept that their game is broken. They were fooled by Bethesda's promises and fooled by big gaming websites who continue to lie to them. It isn't common knowledge for Joe Gamer that Fallout 3 w/DLC and New Vegas were completely borked on the triple. All Joe Gamer sees is a strongly-marketed,well-hyped game getting 9s and 10s from every relevant (in his mind) site and publication and thinks he's in the clear picking up a PS3 copy.

Gamesradar gave the game a 10 for all platforms, and I'm presuming the basis of this score is the 360 review copy. They write up this fluff piece denouncing Bethesda and blaming gamers for being so foolish to give Bethesda their money, all the while giving the PS3 version of the game a shining endorsement. That's unacceptable. That's a fucking joke.

I don't think any PS3 owner who has invested heavy time into the game is willing to accept that their game is broken.

I was talking about the idea that you just have to accept that Bethesda games are unpolished because they're so big. That's the usual defense that fans of theirs bring up whenever someone mentions how unpolished they tend to be.

Bugs will exist in all games on some level, but companies should do all that they can to get rid of them. So you should have someone like Todd Howard talking about how they intentionally leave in some bugs. I don't think i've ever heard of any other developer making a comment like that. Most developers try to do everything they can to get rid of bugs regardless of whether or not they may be seen as funny to the player.

I picture the little devil on Bethesda's shoulder: "Meh, who cares about those PS3 chumps anyway, right Bethesda? You know who butters your bread. And after all, you gave them fair warning with like 3 unplayable-on-PS3 games already, they should have learned by now, right?"

pretty much, I wish NPD still showed platform breakdowns per game to get an idea of the numbers.

Hanmik

I was talking about the idea that you just have to accept that Bethesda games are unpolished because they're so big. That's the usual defense that fans of theirs bring up whenever someone mentions how unpolished they tend to be.

Bugs will exist in all games on some level, but companies should do all that they can to get rid of them. So you should have someone like Todd Howard talking about how they intentionally leave in some bugs. I don't think i've ever heard of any other developer making a comment like that. Most developers try to do everything they can to get rid of bugs regardless of whether or not they may be seen as funny to the player.

this is Todd Howard...

is6Bi.gif

El-Suave

Got my full refund from Amazon UK for the game. I can only recommend sending it back.

Even if you cave in and reorder it again for a different platform or once it is patched, it's already a lot cheaper.

Jaeyden

I keep reading over and over about people selling their PS3 copies and buying it on another platform. What kind of message does this send to the industry? It's O.K. to release half-baked broken ports because...well shit..it might just mean more sales! I'm not really a supporter of the used market but I do hope to god people aren't paying these guys twice for continually pissing on the PS3 market.

I keep reading over and over about people selling their PS3 copies and buying it on another platform. What kind of message does this send to the industry? It's O.K. to release half-baked broken ports because...well shit..it might just mean more sales! I'm not really a supporter of the used market but I do hope to god people aren't paying these guys twice for continually pissing on the PS3 market.

I traded my copy in for a Mario Kart 7 pre-order. :)

Takuan

Yeah, unfortunately, deadlines mean that these games will always be buggy at launch. I can accept that large-scale open-world games are bound to have more bugs than linear A-to-B titles, and can also accept that they're so pressed for time that they have to prioritize what to fix and what to leave in. I guess the question is whether or not there exist other open-world games with Skyrim's scale and interactivity that are considerably more polished than Bethesda's efforts.

Skyrim's just that good. A lot of gamers have poor impulse control and will begrudgingly allow Bethesda to shit in their mouths just to get back into it.

I guess the question is whether or not there exist other open-world games with Skyrim's scale and interactivity that are considerably more polished than Bethesda's efforts.

We'll find out in February. Kingdom of Amalur seems to have a similar scale. The lead programmer has also said that he has his copy pre-ordered for the PS3.

frequency

You guys just don't understand.

<sarcasm>
Bethesda is special and deserves special treatment. When there are bugs, even if they're game breaking, it's charming and gives the game texture and character. We love Bethesda bugs.

If you don't have 2000 saves in case you hit a game breaking bug, then you're just playing the game wrong!
If you're on PS3, then you obviously are a lower class citizen and deserve what you get for buying the PS3 version. It's your own fault. You should have known.
</sarcasm>

Developer of the Year.

Takuan

We'll find out in February. Kingdom of Amalur seems to have a similar scale. The lead programmer has also said that he has his copy pre-ordered for the PS3.
I saw this on the shelf at Best Buy the other day, didn't know what it was. Looked it up, seems sorta interesting (combat system might be neat), but I'm not a big fan of the cartoony art direction. I guess we'll see. Maybe Bethesda just uses crappy game engines.

Grinchy

Banned

I guess if people are selling their PS3 copy and buying a used 360 copy, that's about as hurtful as the consumer can be to Bethesda specifically. They are making Gamestop/Amazon/Ebay rich, but at least they wouldn't be giving their money to Bethesda. Hopefully they are going the used route.

frequency

I saw this on the shelf at Best Buy the other day, didn't know what it was. Looked it up, seems sorta interesting (combat system might be neat), but I'm not a big fan of the cartoony art direction. I guess we'll see. Maybe Bethesda just uses crappy game engines.

Their engine is based on GameByro. GameBryo is not bad.
Catherine, Civ 4, Bully, Rift (MMO), Warhammer Online (MMO) all use GameBryo. They're all fine. None of them are like the Elder Scrolls games, but that's not an excuse. If anything, it would still fall on Bethesda for trying to force a game type that's not appropriate for the engine.
The MMOs are more complex, but in different ways.

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning sounds interesting, but people keep comparing it to Fable. I do not like Fable. At all. So I'll have to wait and see what people think when it's actually released. I didn't think it was as complex as TES games though.

Moofers

I guess if people are selling their PS3 copy and buying a used 360 copy, that's about as hurtful as the consumer can be to Bethesda specifically. They are making Gamestop/Amazon/Ebay rich, but at least they wouldn't be giving their money to Bethesda. Hopefully they are going the used route.

How do you figure? Its still 1 for 1. If you want to hurt Bethesda, tell people who don't have the game yet not to buy it. I've got a friend with a PS3 who asked me about Skyrim and I told him about all the issues. Now he's not buying it. My work is done.

I remember close to release debating on choosing ps3 or PC, since I wanted to game on the couch essentially. I ended up going with PC however I have the dreaded "Hard lockup/black screen of death" issue even on pc.
Similar games that use the same engine also have this problem and it just goes to show that there are game breaking issues outside of the ps3 build. There are numerous forum posts both on the official site and non, and there has been literally no response. So I feel for the ps3 folks, at least at some point the mod community will be able to fix most issues for pc users. I can say without a doubt, I will never buy a product from bethesda again based on the way they have handled everything. Knowing full well of the game breaking issues that plague their games, they chose to release and profit.
If you put your name on something, it's on you to ensure the product is up to snuff.
The whole mentality and practice of shipping a game and patching it after the fact needs to die unless its strictly to add more playable game material.

The whole mentality and practice of shipping a game and patching it after the fact needs to die unless its strictly to add more playable game material.

That mentality shouldn't exist in the console side of things because there are still a lot of people that aren't connected to the internet. Patching doesn't mean shit to them. It's worse in the case of Skyrim because this isn't something that caught Bethesda off. They knew about it and just didn't fix it or inform gamers that the issue still existed in Skyrim.

lol, yeah. That outrage will wear off whenever they announce Fallout 4.

No it won't. At least for me. I stopped buying their games after Fallout 3. They are among the worst developers in this industry. A product that is broken by design and even when it works is riddled with bugs and glitches is unacceptable to me.

They can hype their clumsy shit to heaven and back, but I won't fall for it anymore.

Like said in that Gamesradar article: Bethesda hasn't released a game in any acceptable state for quite some time now. And I don't see this changing, so I keep away from their products

tok

Neo Member
I remember close to release debating on choosing ps3 or PC, since I wanted to game on the couch essentially. I ended up going with PC however I have the dreaded "Hard lockup/black screen of death" issue even on pc.
Similar games that use the same engine also have this problem and it just goes to show that there are game breaking issues outside of the ps3 build. There are numerous forum posts both on the official site and non, and there has been literally no response. So I feel for the ps3 folks, at least at some point the mod community will be able to fix most issues for pc users. I can say without a doubt, I will never buy a product from bethesda again based on the way they have handled everything. Knowing full well of the game breaking issues that plague their games, they chose to release and profit.
If you put your name on something, it's on you to ensure the product is up to snuff.

Are you totally sure its locked up when you get that? I've had something that sounds like what you're describing happen a few times (usually when entering inventory), and I'm able to Alt+Tab twice to minimize then maximize the game and I'm back in.

Its annoying, but relatively uncommon... I've got 73 hours in the PC version. I could never commandeer the TV from the family for that kind of time.

I'll tell you my reason Bethesda gets a pass on buggy games... Because along with the bugs, they strive for something extra. I'd consider Skyrim the best game I've played in years. Largest single timesink for me since STALKER: Call Of Pripyat.

New patch fucked up my Archery skill >=(
It's constantly in the red now ...no diseases or anything

So yeah, even on 360, shit is still a mess at times

I want to love Beth due to how amazing Skyrim is...and then I feel guilty because I know I shouldn't.

Bottom-line, something needs to be done because it feels like the window is gonna close soon. I give another month and most won't give a shit anymore.

New patch fucked up my Archery skill >=(
It's constantly in the red now ...no diseases or anything

So yeah, even on 360, shit is still a mess at times

I want to love Beth due to how amazing Skyrim is...and then I feel guilty because I know I shouldn't.

Bottom-line, something needs to be done because it feels like the window is gonna close soon. I give another month and most won't give a shit anymore.

That's what they're counting on. I love Skyrim. But this buggyness, while expected, is inexcusable. Bethesda knew what kind of game they were making, but they'd rather put out a shit product and shit patches rather than address core technical issues. Never again.

Top Bottom