• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry VS Bethesda: PS3 Skyrim is still shit

As a side issue, I keep seeing people mentioning Fallout 3 GOTY having very similar problems. I have the original Fallout 3 (not GOTY), is that version considered to be 'ok' bug-wise? Why are people specifically referring to the GOTY version as being bad?
More content = larger save file, more variables flying around, more potential for bugs. Crashbryo just doesn't scale the way Bethesda keeps trying to take it.

frequency

As a side issue, I keep seeing people mentioning Fallout 3 GOTY having very similar problems. I have the original Fallout 3 (not GOTY), is that version considered to be 'ok' bug-wise? Why are people specifically referring to the GOTY version as being bad?

I think it just got bad when the DLC was added. The GOTY version has the DLC already included. The base game is still really buggy, but playable.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Because it has all the DLC. That added content exacerbates the inherent flaws in their engine...

Evolved1

The difference with Skyrim is that a reviewer could have played and beaten the game in 30-50 hours on the PS3 and not have a single issue. Some people have played over 100 hours of the PS3 version and also don't report any problems.

The issue isn't that they missed it... no one is really holding that against the review outlets.

It's their (non)response since learning of the issue that is the problem.

Evolved1

Nah its mostly in the sales related threads. Things are calming down though with the recent one though.

Well, honestly... it's somewhat relevant in the sales threads. A large chunk of those sales are to folks who are very upset about their purchase.

I could be wrong, but it seemed like the OT was pretty much free from the PS3 performance complaints, as we have kept that discussion limited to threads like this, or other threads where it might be warranted.

Im amazed by Bethesda lack of communication with the PS3 users.
But i guess that 'yeah wont fix' is not what the PS3 folks want to hear.

This was their last bit of communication on the issue

Updated 12/6: While the 1.2 update fixed the long-term play issues for most PS3 users, we are aware that is not the case for some. We’ve been reaching out to a number of those users to collect save games, so we can take a look at their specific issues. Right now we know it’s not one thing, but a combination of smaller ones that some folks are seeing, but others are not. Some seem to be the PS3 autosaving in the background (you can turn that off), some may be SPU AI updates, and some may relate to dynamic system memory allocation. These fixes are not in the current 1.3 update that is in final testing, but will be in future ones. We understand how frustrating it can be when your game is having issues, and we thank all of you for your continued feedback and patience. Rest assured we take your gameplay experience seriously and will continue working on this until it’s resolved.

http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/

So much bullshit.

My 12MB save file runs like a fucking slideshow. I'm not going to blame Bethseda though. Nope. I'm blaming myself for buying the PS3 version when I have a perfectly good PC capable of running it on high.

This was their last bit of communication on the issue

http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/

So much bullshit.

Keep fighting the good fight SSX but if I were you I'd give up at this time. It's obvious the press wants to swipe this under the rug and Bethesda (after getting killer sales) won't do shit to really fix the issue cause it's an engine fault, not something you can fix by a patch.

I only hope they really fix this shit for Fallout 4 and DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT BEING FIXED WHEN IT'S NOT otherwise no PS3 owner, not a single PS3 owner should buy Fallout 4.

I am wondering if gaming "journalists" will remember about this bug while reviewing FO4 on the PS3...

Hanmik

I contacted a gaming site about this issue. Asked if they would pressure Bethesda about this.. They do not have the time right now (christmas).. but they told me if I wrote a letter in english about it, then they would forward it for me as a user (and sometimes freelance writer) on their site.. (forward it to the right persons at Bethesda)

But my english isn´t the best.. I would love some input from you guys.. especialy Solidsnakex, because he has the same view on this subject that I have..

I only hope they really fix this shit for Fallout 4 and DO NOT LIE ABOUT IT BEING FIXED WHEN IT'S NOT otherwise no PS3 owner, not a single PS3 owner should buy Fallout 4.

I am wondering if gaming "journalists" will remember about this bug while reviewing FO4 on the PS3...

Of course they won't. Bethesda will sent PC and Xbox copies out to review. PS3 won't be available for review.

The only thing that makes me more angry than watching my Skyrim game run at a shit FPS is hearing Bethesda say the issue is resolved for most people. Yarg, you stupid fucks, the only resolution is some people's save files dropped a MB or two temporarily but it turns to shit all over again once you hit 7MB or more.

Fuck you Bethesda, stop feeding us loads of bullshit.

As someone who has an 8.5 mb 70+ hour file, I'm really having no issues. I'm not saying I won't eventually suffer these issues, but I expected them to happen by now.

The patch pushed it back a little. How long do you play in one setting?

can't tell if you mean 'setting' or 'sitting' - but, for me so far (20+ hr), both work: 2-3 hour sessions, & no trips to the entire northern half of the map (hell, i haven't even unlocked the dragons yet :) )...

not a solution by any means (obviously), but at least the damn game's running good...

theDeeDubs

As someone who has an 8.5 mb 70+ hour file, I'm really having no issues. I'm not saying I won't eventually suffer these issues, but I expected them to happen by now.

I didn't start hitting issues until my save file hit 11ish mb after 110 hours or so, but I had my platinum trophy by that point. I saved the main quest for last and that alone bumped my save file from 8mb to 11mb. It went to shit after that.

It seems the main quest is what kills the performance.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I didn't start hitting issues until my save file hit 11ish mb after 110 hours or so, but I had my platinum trophy by that point. I saved the main quest for last and that alone bumped my save fil from 8mb to 11mb. It went to shit after that.

It seemswent the main quest is what kills the performance.

Not for me, I got the issues at around 8 to 10 mb and I hadn't even gone to high hrothgar yet. I was doing the mage stuff and exploring.

and semiconscious, I meant sitting.

Sye d'Burns

I read this on Ars and had to shake my head. Chalk up another GOTY for Skyrim.

Gaming's biggest joys—and most bitter disappointments—of 2011

Much has already been written about the way Bethesda's open-world role-playing game allows players to direct their own narratives. Skyrim completely lives up to its raison d'être, creating a world so vibrant, it's easy to buy into the illusion that it actually exists. Granted, some of the bugs and glitches are hard to swallow, particularly on the PlayStation 3 version (which we did not review). But you'd be hard pressed to find another game with this many meaningful choices.

Perhaps the biggest testament to Bethesda's success is that though I'm over 80 hours in, and even though my shelf is stacked with all sorts of other new games, I just can't stop playing Skyrim. —Jason Schreier

I wonder if, 80 hours in, he would have that problem were he playing with single digit FPS on the PS3.

I wonder if, 80 hours in, he would have that problem were he playing with single digit FPS on the PS3.

Hey who's the bigger one to blame. The press or the fact that Sony themselves won't even look into it (if they're even aware). I mean, fuck, how is there such a disconnect that a MAJOR software release on your hardware is fundamentally broken, yet oodles of uninformed customers are still purchasing it.

Number45

Meaningful choices:

• Stop playing now for a while before it slows to single digit FPS
  • Delete my saves to give me a better chance of not having single digit FPS
  • Turn off auto-save to give me a better chance of not having single digit FPS

Hey who's the bigger one to blame. The press or the fact that Sony themselves won't even look into it (if they're even aware). I mean, fuck, how is there such a disconnect that a MAJOR software release on your hardware is fundamentally broken, yet oodles of uninformed customers are still purchasing it.
What would you have Sony do in this case? Serious question.

What would you have Sony do in this case? Serious question.

Similar situation where say GTAIV released and it was hardlocking PS3s. Sony put out a FW update asap as it was obviously such a high profile release for their system and reflected badly. I don't see why a situation like this is any different. Sure Beth is at fault here but Sony could put out a press release or something saying they're aware, working with Beth, or shit something.

Similar situation where say GTAIV released and it was hardlocking PS3s. Sony put out a FW update asap as it was obviously such a high profile release for their system and reflected badly. I don't see why a situation like this is any different. Sure Beth is at fault here but Sony could put out a press release or something saying they're aware, working with Beth, or shit something.

Sony also released a patch for Bayonetta PS3 to fix some of the loading issues. The fact that they haven't done anything with Skyrim probably just speaks to how broken it really is.

Number45

Considering I don't see how Sony could possibly fix the issue with a firmware update (as I understand it at least), them shouldering some of the blame for the issue would be a huge own goal. I don't see why they would put themselves in the firing line.

Best we can hope for (and this is coming from someone who is devastated that he can't play Skyrim) is that Sony maybe approach Bethesda for their next game, to assist with getting it running to a respectable/playable level.

I'm hoping this is the last game they release on this shitty engine. And that they take their windfall profits and develop a new engine from the ground up. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if their next gen console games are still running on legacy gamebryo systems.

Sye d'Burns

That's an interesting point, although, as noted, I'm not sure what they could do to fix the problem. That's part of what irks me about this problem; I've gotten so used to being angry at Sony because of the missteps or outright hubris on Sony's part and, here, their reputation is taking a shellacking for something largely outside of their control*. How dare Bethesda leave Sony appearing in a sympathetic light!

*Well, of course, Sony must have phoned in certification on this game. In which case, curse you Sonnnnnnyyy.

I'm hoping this is the last game they release on this shitty engine. And that they take their windfall profits and develop a new engine from the ground up. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if their next gen console games are still running on legacy gamebryo systems.

Broken or not, they certainly have little incentive to build an entirely new engine with sales and accolades like they are receiving.

A new Engine? Well, Skyrim is already build based on a 'brand new engine'. At least that's what they kept saying prior to its release.

Brand new engine my ass.... :lol I guess their definition of brand new means tweeked broken old engine.

Sye d'Burns said:
Broken or not, they certainly have little incentive to build an entirely new engine with sales and accolades like they are receiving.

Unfortunately that will probably be the case.

Sye d'Burns

A new Engine? Well, Skyrim is already build based on a 'brand new engine'. At least that's what they kept saying prior to its release.

Brand new engine my ass.... :lol I guess their definition of brand new means tweeked broken old engine.

Aye, and the PS3 performs at parity with the other console. Bethesda is attempting to create the largest RPG in history by bringing the fiction to the real world.

jonabbey

One of the things that the Obsidian guy said might help was to set up camp and just sleep over and over and over and over again until 30 days have passed, at which point a bunch of things in the game world will have reset to their original state, thus reducing the memory required to represent the difference between the world state and the world original state.

I actually did that, but after doing that, I didn't see the game save file size go down much at all.. I'm still at around 8 megs.

On the gripping hand, I haven't seen the slideshow since I did that..

GenericUser

Here is an Update (posted on the official forum):

I wanted to stop in and give everyone a quick update before the holidays. Patch 1.3 is up for everyone, as is the PC LAA version. The January 1.4 update is well underway right now for all platforms, along with the Creation Kit and Steam Workshop integration on PC.

Special thanks to all of you, especially those who sent us specifici feedback and save games to look at. We know everyone's experience is unique, and it's made a huge difference being able to look first hand at things you were seeing.

Through this we've learned the game can get in some states where it severely taxes the PS3 in particular. We've been working hard to find and fix those with your help.

You've all supported us in a huge way and we're going to fully support all of you, regardless of platform or issue.

Happy Holidays and thanks again.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1322016-holiday-update/

Thought I might share that with the ps3 gaf crowd. At least bethesda seems to care, unlike dice.

DICE?

something up with BF3?

Also, yeah nice to see them finally throw the PS3 community a bone before the end of the year.
I'm still skeptical they'll actually get it to work though....

so basically "so after a month and a half we have learned the ps3 version is indeed fucked.... we will keep hammering away at it."

My brother got the ps3 version... the poor bastard. He has a pretty decent PC but didnt know any better.

I hope they fix it for his sake.

hamchan

Yep, so sounds like they just acknowledged the problem exists after all this time but they still don't know how to fix it at all.

Great.

Demon Ice

Banned
They're dragging their feet until people forget about this and move on. That update was beyond worthless.

And their CM is still absent from this thread, correct?

I wanted to stop in and give everyone a quick update before the holidays. Patch 1.3 is up for everyone, as is the PC LAA version. The January 1.4 update is well underway right now for all platforms, along with the Creation Kit and Steam Workshop integration on PC.

Special thanks to all of you, especially those who sent us specifici feedback and save games to look at. We know everyone's experience is unique, and it's made a huge difference being able to look first hand at things you were seeing.

Through this we've learned the game can get in some states where it severely taxes the PS3 in particular. We've been working hard to find and fix those with your help.

You've all supported us in a huge way and we're going to fully support all of you, regardless of platform or issue.

Happy Holidays and thanks again.

Sure, blame the poor coding on the PS3. Yeah, Skyrim is a good looking game, but graphically, it's not a beast. PS3 can't handle basic fog effects in closed areas? Or a waterfall? Yeah right Bethesda.

so basically "so after a month and a half we have learned the ps3 version is indeed fucked.... we will keep hammering away at it."

My brother got the ps3 version... the poor bastard. He has a pretty decent PC but didnt know any better.

I hope they fix it for his sake.

My brother as well, and I wittnessed him hitting the lag wall yesterday. I feel so sorry for him. Might resurrect my old 360 (needs a new cooling fan) get him Skyrim for that and call it a day. My brother played Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout3 to death. Yet after his 360 died, he said, going with a PS3 would be the better option, as they are more stable and games run better...

well, after his first PS3 killed itself after only 6 months, BF3s online pass was broken and EA refused to help him at all, now Skyrim turns out to be an unplayable mess on PS3. Guy can't get a break it seems.

I really, really wish this issue would have had a "SOPA" style Internet backlash, but alas, too many gamers love Bethesda way too much to start anything.

Anteater

Well they did already say they know of a few things that causes the problem, and they are going to be fixed (and claiming it could be fixed), the patch is already scheduled for Jan and all the quest patches for later, since there wasn't a backlash on the way Bethesda deal with their game (releasing it and aware that there will be bugs, and not having a quick, steady and consistent way of releasing patches), there probably isn't going to be one, unless the next patch does absolutely nothing...

Evolved1

I saw the cover of a PS3 mag the other day... had a headline in the corner: SKYRIM Scandal: something something "broken on PS3".

Damn, I can't remember the mag or headline... anyone know the story on this article?

I saw the cover of a PS3 mag the other day... had a headline in the corner: SKYRIM Scandal: something something "broken on PS3".

4vmHz.png

Top Bottom