• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. Dead Rising 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mocoworm

'Consistent and sustained' drops to 20fps when outdoors? 16fps at times?

Maybe they should have delayed and polished.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK ???

'Locked 30fps' was the promise. Why just outright lie when it can clearly be outed ?

I have this as a launch pre-order. Not sure what to do now. I really want to play the game but don't know whether to just rent it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
can't open the article at work, does it mention this is the final build of the game ?

Jburton

Banned
The fact that the game runs badly with pop in and texture streaming problems, alongside low res and framerate is one thing ........... biggest issueI had with the look of the game is the really simplistic and last gen looking animation ....... The lead character looks clunky.

red731

thecloud03.gif

Dissapoiting to hear. As long it is fun and this fact and knowing won't put people off, then it'll be fine and sell well.

nOoblet16

Go back and play Dead Rising 2, that's pure silliness.

Yea pure silliness...right.
http://youtu.be/T4wLgdmzHLM?t=1m20s

Compared to the video I saw in the Digitalfoundry article, I don't see where exactly the extra number went, yes it's higher but not by a considerable amount. Also quantity does not automatically mean more processing power, Heavenly Sword did 10 times more but it was just canon fodder characters with poor models.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Kind of incredible that at this point it's looking like the major improvement we'll could get from Xbone by the end of the generation is a smooth 30fps at 720p.

Bleem

Neo Member
I remember when games used to be about fun - not how many pixels or FPS any particular title can push around the screen.

25fps or 30fps - still looks like a lot of fun to me!

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm talking about Dead Rising, not every next-gen title. Realistically their is no way they'll be able to push 60 frames on this game at HD resolutions, at least not on the Xbone.

The most important part of your post. PS4 could probably handle it.

Well, the Xbone isn't exactly the most powerful of consoles. Laying some blame at the hardware seems reasonable, with all the other launch games exhibiting performance issues.

I guess..I mean I'm not expecting miracles from console hardware but if it can't do solid 30fps then idk what to say.

DJwest

I'm talking about Dead Rising, not every next-gen title. Realistically their is no way they'll be able to push 60 frames on this game at HD resolutions, at least not on the Xbone.
I honestly fail to see what is so special about this game that justifies sub 60fps at 720p. I'm no programmer/designer though so there's that.

MMaRsu

Banned
I remember when games used to be about fun - not how many pixels or FPS any particular title can push around the screen.

They are still about that, and technical stuff like framerate can interfere with fun.

It's also pretty important if you are plunking down 500 euro's or dollars on a 'next gen' machine like the Xbox One that it can't even hold a steady 30fps at 720p. That shit is actually pretty damn sad.

Cutebrute

This game has always looked rough and frankly not very fun to me. More zombies doesn't mean much to me if only the closest few will actually engage me in some kind of combat. In fact, it really is just a detriment if it hurts performance this much. It's same problem the 360 DRs had.

Ryse will be the far more interesting game to dissect. Hopefully the Vancouver studio gets to make a XbOne/PS4 multiplat for their next game!

Poor resolution and poor framerate. That's exactly what I saw in Giant Bomb's quick look too. A real shame, but seeing that definitely takes a lot of wind out of this game's sails. Might still be fun to play, but I'm not convinced on that front either.

Dynoro

Maybe it wasn't a final build? The gameplay of Brad on Giant Bomb didn't look like the frame rate was that bad.

Edit: seeing the post above; maybe I'm just not susceptible to low fps

Derrick01

Banned
So this not only looks like a current gen game but it runs like one too....on brand new hardware. Who do we blame here, Capcom? The weak CPU (or weaker everything) on XB1?

Maybe they should cut some zombies to get more fps.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I would happily sacrifice a few dozen zombies on screen to obtain a higher frame rate or even slightly prettier graphics. I am assuming the game was also rushed.

G-g-g-g-gasp, Digital Foundry being negative about Xbone? Truly a turnup for the books.

...Do you want them to lie about the framerate problems in the video? How is this negative? Its not like they're giving this shit away. People are spending 60 bucks on this, they should know how well it runs.

Idgi.

I'm sure most people will just deal with the fps seeing as this is probably the most anticipated One game.

Xater

I saw some slow down in the footage from Giant Bomb but it sounds like it can get even worse. That's pretty bad especially with what they are working here.

Maybe it wasn't a final build? The gameplay of Brad on Giant Bomb didn't look like the frame rate was that bad.

Just watch the bike thing in that footage. major drop in frame rate there.

derFeef

They are still about that, and technical stuff like framerate can interfere with fun.

It's also pretty important if you are plunking down 500 euro's or dollars on a 'next gen' machine like the Xbox One that it can't even hold a steady 30fps at 720p. That shit is actually pretty damn sad.

It can hold 60fps/1080p on other games, apples and oranges.
Mind you not defending DR3 here, I am really disappointed.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
...Do you want them to lie about the framerate problems in the video? How is this negative? Its not like they're giving this shit away. People are spending 60 bucks on this, they should know how well it runs.

Idgi.

It was more of a poke at the people who've been telling us for the last few months that DF are obviously biased because they're not being critical of Xbone in the same way that they were about PS3.

I honestly fail to see what is so special about this game that justifies sub 60fps at 720p. I'm no programmer/designer though so there's that.

The fact that their is a fuckton of enemies on screen in a seamless world has to be taxing on the hardware.

MIlky1985

Banned

I'm really hoping those wall textures in front of the car are the "i've not loaded in yet" ones, they look awful.

I had to look twice to see what they were, looks almost as if a badly texture piece of paper is flying towards the camera :/

[EDIT] IN fact looking at it again it looks like it may be a bit of badly texture something coming at the camera, since although it looks like its behind the dip int he road its going out past the side of it, but still the textures in the dip in front of the car look iffy

[EDIT-EDIT] Showed the pic to a mate, he just pointed something out, the lighting on the orange "cone" thing looks wrong, for some reason the orange cone looks like its getting more light than anything else in the scene.

MMaRsu

Banned
I was going to suggest the same thing. I would happily sacrifice a few dozen zombies on screen to obtain a higher frame rate or even slightly prettier graphics. I am assuming the game was also rushed.

I actually very much doubt the game was 'rushed' since it started development on the Xbox 360 a few years ago.

nib95

Banned
An example of the weird fuzzing.

Digital Foundry said:
A curious 'fizzling' fade-in technique is used to spare GPU resources on distant objects - seemingly materialising into view as you near closer. The effect also applies to vehicles designed from Nick Ramos' blueprints as they first appear on-screen.

1920x-6.jpg~original

Jburton

Banned

Then why bother with a next gen console at all if that's your opinion?

Seems like creating a sea of Zombie blood at 50mph is tough to render.

Its a shame but hopefully the game is still fun.

I do have to wonder if it would have been the same had the game not originally been made for 360.

Copenap

Dead Rising could be such a great franchise if it wasn't plagued by technical problems all the time. The loading times of DR2 still haunt me sometimes in my dreams.

derFeef

I seriously don't hope they upped the sharpening of the upscaler to make up for the low resolution, that's exactly how you not do it, ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom