• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Super Bomberman R 1.3

Skyzard

Banned
I own the game. There is no "vaseline filter," only some blurring from upscaling and perhaps some AA. Who are all these people? There was one person in the new patch thread complaining about a "vaseline filter" and many more who were unable to definitively quantify if/how the game was visually downgraded.

I'm aware of the purpose of DF threads, the sprit of these discussions, and I take their findings for what they are. They said the trade-off was worth it and a big improvement over what the game was before the patch. It was an unequivocal thumbs up. Then we get folks like you, who only see numbers divorced from visuals and reality, and overreact that the game is a horrific piece of shit, the work of lazy devs, garbage unworthy of $xx, etc.

And the drop was from 720p to 540p in multiplayer which isn't the severe drop you're making it out to be. It is of course worse upon inspection, plenty of people noticed something was reduced, but the unplayable mess narrative doesn't hold up. Those are the people I take issue with: the ones who invent their own wildly negative conclusions not backed by the article we're supposedly discussing (why are you ignoring their positive conclusions based on their findings?)... I have no problem with anyone who merely notices a res change. I myself can usually tell when a 240p game is not scaling well, 480p vs HD resolutions, etc.

It looks fine... not great, but fine and perfectly serviceable for what it is. When I said earlier DF needs to run fake tech analysis as experiment to gauge placebo, it's for people like you who only see numbers in a vacuum as a reason to complain and pass off damning judgment divorced from the reality of actually seeing and playing the game. Actually, we already had a taste of this in the BOTW FPS patch thread where a number of people were imaging visual and resolution downgrades that never happened ( I myself fell for this a little).

Your "reality" is different than those who are sensitive to framerate and resolution, like I and others in digital foundry threads tend to be.

We're not talking about small drops here. 1080 to 720 is significant. And 540p in 2017 and for bomber man, that's damn disappointing. I'm glad you're not bothered by it, but don't get frustrated with people who care and can notice.

I don't listen to every post because a lot of people just can't really tell very easily. Others can, probably those not in the majority. Remember when people were saying bomberman was 60fps because of off-camera footage recording at 60fps? I and few others noticed it wasn't actually 60 fps, but the majority were celebrating. If you're happy with it, fine, but numbers don't lie.

I never said it was a horrific piece of shit, just that they could have done a lot better on Switch, especially for the price they're charging.

RowdyReverb

You know, with a relatively static camera it seems like in unlocked frame rate that hangs out between 30 and 60 probably isn't that big a deal, right? It's games with user-controllable cameras that really demonstrate screen tearing because the movement is so rapid

Hilarion

Why are you ignoring all the people who said there is a vaseline filter on the game?

If you're not the type to notice a drop from 1080p to 720 or 540p, why come to a digitalfoundry thread just to complain at others who can?

Digital Foundry, in the video:

"This is a massive drop in resolution for sure, but, let's face it, framerate is far more important in a game like this so I feel that the development team made the right call here."

Like, did you watch the video? This is a video arguing why this resolution drop was a good decision. The people saying that the resolution doesn't matter here are agreeing with Digital Foundry.

PPS - Super Bomberman 5 for SNES is still a king!

snes_super_bomberman_5_1.gif

sorry but best bomberman will be always this:

bomberman-stadium.jpg

Skyzard

Banned
Digital Foundry, in the video:

"This is a massive drop in resolution for sure, but, let's face it, framerate is far more important in a game like this so I feel that the development team made the right call here."

Like, did you watch the video? This is a video arguing why this resolution drop was a good decision. The people saying that the resolution doesn't matter here are agreeing with Digital Foundry.

Where did I say it was a bad decision?

Dropping resolution to improve framerate is a quick performance fix, and that comes at a cost. It's still disappointing - just in a slightly different way. Sure it's preferable, for me too, but those aren't great choices.

If they couldn't get Bomberman running on switch at 60fps with native resolutions in 3D, then they should have dropped it to 2D.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is simple and runs and looks great, and is worth more than what they're asking, unlike bomberman imo.

Even the story mode fps fluctuates here. That's terrible for bomberman. Maybe worth owning for multiplayer but at this price? When there are plenty of local bombermans to play... not a chance unless I was desperate for Switch games - which is likely what they were counting on. It's unity, they could port it to other consoles if they wanted to right?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
sorry but best bomberman will be always this:

bomberman-stadium.jpg

Saturn is the most 'impressive' Bomberman. But I didn't like a couple of things. Didn't think the battle stages were nearly as good as '94, and I thought growing the dinosaurs over-complicated things and didn't work that well.

Bomberman '94 is the most perfect (to-date) I've played. I really can't fault it.

The best thing about the Saturn one was Hi-Ten mode, which was ironically an unreleased PC-Engine game powered by 2 PC-Engines.

Dipper145

I'm surprised people are upset that Unity was used, without such an easy to develop with engine, it's a lot less likely that the game would have been made in the time that it was, or at a similar cost.

It's hard to blame the performance on just the use of engine itself when the time and costs saved by using Unity for the game could have been put towards improving performance of the game in Unity.

jariw

Why are you ignoring all the people who said there is a vaseline filter on the game?

Where are all these people you're referring to?

And how is a reduction in resolution automatically resulting in the game getting a vaseline filter? I notice that the game is 720p docked by looking at the shadows, but the AA is also pretty nonexistent there.

Is MK8/Wii U using a vaseline filter just because it's 720p?

Unity... probably to late to switch the engine for this game. :D

Unity seems to be a horrible decision for any platform and game, unless the developer put much effort and time to overcome the many performance problems of Unity.

Skyzard

Banned
Where are all these people you're referring to?

And how is a reduction in resolution automatically resulting in the game getting a vaseline filter? I notice that the game is 720p docked by looking at the shadows, but the AA is also pretty nonexistent there.

Is MK8/Wii U using a vaseline filter just because it's 720p?

A game going from 1080p to 720 is what gives it a "vaseline filter" look. Not everyone notices it, some can quite easily and like a sharp image. Especially when there isn't much else to look at.

I wouldn't prefer it over 60fps. I'd like both. I don't think that's asking for too much for a 2017 bomberman.

Mega

Banned
Your "reality" is different than those who are sensitive to framerate and resolution, like I and others in digital foundry threads tend to be.

We're not talking about small drops here. 1080 to 720 is significant. And 540p in 2017 and for bomber man, that's damn disappointing. I'm glad you're not bothered by it, but don't get frustrated with people who care and can notice.

I didn't say this... and I'm not frustrated by people who care and notice resolution, framerate, etc. I notice these things too whenever possible. What I am is a little irritated by people who say they're all about facts and analysis... but are actually ignoring the analysis and conclusions reached by DF. In this case, yes there is a res drop but it's not a big disappointment or hugely distracting and in fact it was totally worth it.

A game going from 1080p to 720 is what gives it a "vaseline filter" look. Not everyone notices it, some can quite easily and like a sharp image. Especially when there isn't much else to look at.

I wouldn't prefer it over 60fps. I'd like both. I don't think that's asking for too much for a 2017 bomberman.

720 to 1080p upscaling does not produce a Vaseline filter look unless you have the worst TV on the planet with the worst built-in upscaler. And in this case, the Switch scales the game and does a fine job. There is no Vaseline filter. Historically this was an informal term for the N64's crude and aggressive multiple passes of AA. Have you played the game in person in order to continue to keep saying it has a "Vaseline filter?"

Do you think Mario Kart on Wii U has a Vaseline filter?

Skyzard

Banned
I didn't say this... and I'm not frustrated by people who care and notice resolution, framerate, etc. I notice these things too whenever possible. What I am is a little irritated by people who say they're all about facts and analysis... but are actually ignoring the analysis and conclusions reached by DF. In this case, yes there is a res drop but it's not a big disappointment or hugely distracting and in fact it was totally worth it.

720 to 1080p upscaling does not produce a Vaseline filter look unless you have the worst TV on the planet with the worst built-in upscaler. And in this case, the Switch scales the game and does a fine job. There is no Vaseline filter. Historically this was an informal term for the N64's crude and aggressive multiple passes of AA. Have you played the game in person in order to continue to keep saying it has a "Vaseline filter?"

Do you think Mario Kart on Wii U has a Vaseline filter?

You certainly seem frustrated judging by your post that was essentially a hyperbolic personal attack.

I have said numerous times it's not worth it for me as it is. Luckily there are youtube videos to base my decisions on (as I always do) so I don't need to purchase it first just to be disappointed.
Digital Foundry confirms it clearly - they specifically mention how massive of a drop it is in resolution, not that I need to be told that. But specifying 1080 to 720 is huge. I've never said I didn't want a higher framerate. That's great that they delivered 60fps for multiplayer but not without sacrificing even more.

If it's good enough for you and you think it's worth it, that's fine. I don't. And I'd rather just load up an emulator with a SNES bomberman or something if I felt like some couch multiplayer. Sure it's nice for convenience...but not that nice.

Currently, "vaseline filter" is used to describe an image that is more blurry. Which happens from resolution drops, especially to non native resolutions like 720p and 540p!

MK8 wiiu looked terrible on the tv. I played it on the gamepad because of that, where the image looked a lot cleaner. Not to mention it had great colours and other things to look at too...whereas bomberman doesn't.

Saturn is the most 'impressive' Bomberman. But I didn't like a couple of things. Didn't think the battle stages were nearly as good as '94, and I thought growing the dinosaurs over-complicated things and didn't work that well.

Bomberman '94 is the most perfect (to-date) I've played. I really can't fault it.

The best thing about the Saturn one was Hi-Ten mode, which was ironically an unreleased PC-Engine game powered by 2 PC-Engines.

Don't forget the code for Saturn Bomberman that quadruples the stage variants. For example you can play the 640x480 ten-player Path to Glory y with two conveyors and four teleporters. Some stages/variants do not have dinosaurs, etc.

MK8 wiiu looked terrible on the tv.

Your TV is bad.

Skyzard

Banned
I'd hate to be so anal that I couldn't play MK8 on a television. I mean the mind boggles.

It might be nice to be ignorant to fully enjoy games with issues but then I wouldn't be able to soak in all the visual candy when it is there. I wouldn't make that tradeoff.

Higher perception has its own rewards, and I'm glad to have it.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
It might be nice to be ignorant to fully enjoy games with issues but then I wouldn't be able to soak in all the visual candy when it is there. I wouldn't make that tradeoff.

Higher sensitivity = more perception.

Games are entertainment, entertainment is about having fun, you are willingly sucking it out.

Is this the generation of gamers DF is breeding?

Skyzard

Banned
Games are entertainment, entertainment is about having fun, you are willingly sucking it out.

Is this the generation of gamers DF is breeding?

Good graphics can be highly entertaining, especially when not bogged down by performance.

(when the game is fun)

Skyzard

Banned
You don't even sound like a gamer, you sound like an accountant.

I'm sure there are accountants that like to play games.

No one is saying graphics are better than gameplay (including performance). I'm saying both are important, especially when you're releasing a new product in 2017 and it's bomberman at £45.

Sure some people would be fine, like some people are fine playing mobile games only. I can enjoy them too, but I also want a lot more.

I wonder if this visual/performance sacrifice would be acceptable on other consoles. We may never know because despite a massive userbase difference and the game being on Unity which supports other platforms, they decided to only put it out for the Switch, where maybe the majority just aren't bothered about details.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm sure there are accountants that like to play games.

No one is saying graphics are better than gameplay (including performance). I'm saying both are important, especially when you're releasing a new product in 2017 and it's bomberman at £45.

Actually quoting a price after that comment is quite funny, but anyway.

All I'm saying is try redirecting some of this obvious passion in a slightly different way. You might actually find yourself enjoying things more and the world will not end or game development go to shit if you do.

Nah, I just have good eyes and higher standards.

I don't think it was that uncommon for people to prefer playing it on the gamepad because of how it looked either. The resolution and lack of AA was killer.

You don't have high standards if you think the very poor 480p LCD in the gamepad looks good.

Mega

Banned
You certainly seem frustrated judging by your post that was essentially a hyperbolic personal attack.

Okay, and? You caught me being annoyed (which I admitted)... is that a checkmate or something?

I have said numerous times it's not worth it for me as it is. Luckily there are youtube videos to base my decisions on (as I always do) so I don't need to purchase it first just to be disappointed.
Digital Foundry confirms it clearly - they specifically mention how massive of a drop it is in resolution, not that I need to be told that. But specifying 1080 to 720 is huge. I've never said I didn't want a higher framerate. That's great that they delivered 60fps for multiplayer but not without sacrificing even more.

I only came at you because you condescendingly came at me about why I am in a DF thread, when you are the one conveniently sidestepping their analysis and conclusions that the FPS improvements is more important here than the resolution decrease. If you have YouTube videos to help you base your decisions, what are you doing in a DF thread and being dismissive about the DF article? Go watch Youtube.

If it's good enough for you and you think it's worth it, that's fine. I don't. And I'd rather just load up an emulator with a SNES bomberman or something if I felt like some couch multiplayer. Sure it's nice for convenience...but not that nice.

Currently, "vaseline filter" is used to describe an image that is more blurry. Which happens from resolution drops, especially to non native resolutions like 720p and 540p!

MK8 wiiu looked terrible on the tv. I played it on the gamepad because of that, where the image looked a lot cleaner. Not to mention it had great colours and other things to look at too...whereas bomberman doesn't.

The Gamepad is a woeful 480p (in regards to reproducing native 720p-1080p games), on a cheap LCD with dull and atrocious color reproduction. And you're here complaining about 540p on a superior screen.

It's not a Vaseline filter and if you think it is, then you're misusing the word.

You're so worried about game performance that you turn to inferior screens and input lag-ridden emulators. Okay, buddy.

Skyzard

Banned
Actually quoting a price after that comment is quite funny, but anyway.

All I'm saying is try redirecting some of this obvious passion in a slightly different way. You might actually find yourself enjoying things more and the world will not end or game development go to shit if you do.

I have plenty of games to enjoy and I'm not keen on patting Konami on the back for this.

You don't have high standards if you think the very poor 480p LCD in the gamepad looks good.

And despite that, It looked cleaner.

Okay, and? You caught me being annoyed (which I admitted)... is that a checkmate or something?

I only came at you because you condescendingly came at me about why I am in a DF thread, when you are the one conveniently sidestepping their analysis and conclusions that the FPS improvements is more important here than the resolution decrease. If you have YouTube videos to help you base your decisions, what are you doing in a DF thread and being dismissive about the DF article? Go watch Youtube.

The Gamepad is a woeful 480p (in regards to reproducing native 720p-1080p games), on a cheap LCD with dull and atrocious color reproduction. And you're here complaining about 540p on a superior screen.

It's not a Vaseline filter and if you think it is, then you're misusing the word.

You're so worried about game performance that you turn to inferior screens and input lag-ridden emulators. Okay, buddy.

I'm not going to repeat myself - DF clarified the massive resolution drop to get that increased performance. I'm here talking about that and the game.

I didn't disagree with DF's opinion that it's worth it (at least for mp - not so sure about the story mode's variable framerate). It shouldn't have needed to be sacrificed if they were looking to put out a quality game, it's real simple. The game isn't a technical marvel to put issues aside. It's old as time itself and from the era of simple games like pong, it should be running AND looking better.

Skyzard

Banned
Last game I bought where I knew there was going to be performance/graphics issues that would annoy me...

...can't think of one.

Zelda maybe? Playing it on gamepad made it a lot easier to stomach though.

Mega

Banned
And despite that, It looked cleaner.

The Wii U and most HDTV have very good 720 to 1080p scaling. What you said is just not true. My own Panny plasma is in an entirely different league from the dull and grainy Gamepad. What you're defending is comparatively bad, yet you contradict yourself by deriding the Switch for a smaller resolution decrease and higher quality native render than the Gamepad's iffy 480p stream. No one believes that the Gamepad, which has been widely regarded since launch as awful quality, looks better than a good HD television.

I'm not going to repeat myself - DF clarified the massive resolution drop to get that increased performance. I'm here talking about that and the game.

I didn't disagree with DF's opinion that it's worth it (at least for mp - not so sure about the story mode's variable framerate). It shouldn't have needed to be sacrificed if they were looking to put out a quality game, it's real simple. The game isn't a technical marvel to put issues aside. It's old as time itself and from the era of simple games like pong, it should be running AND looking better.

In one sentence you agree with DF that it's worth it to go 540p for mp, in the next you say the developer "shouldn't have needed to be sacrificed if they were looking to put out a quality game," which stands against what the article ultimately says that it's a solid quality game.

Bomberman is not from the era of Pong. Considering it didn't hit its stride and peak until the early-mid 90s games, you're off by over 20 years.

Skyzard

Banned
The Wii U and most HDTV have very good 720 to 1080p scaling. What you said is just not true. My own Panny plasma is in an entirely different league from the dull and grainy Gamepad. What you're defending is comparatively bad, yet you contradict yourself by deriding the Switch for a smaller resolution decrease and higher quality native render than the Gamepad's iffy 480p stream. No one believes that the Gamepad, which has been widely regarded since launch as awful quality, looks better than a good HD television.

You're talking about colours, I'm talking about clarity. 720p downsampled onto the gamepad's screen looked a hell of a lot better than any TV I tried it with even with magic upscaling.
Though I never tried it with my non-HD panasonic. If I had the right cables, it might have been quite nice without the extra resolution, I dunno.

It didn't look amazing because of the gamepad, but it was a lot easier to stomach. I wasn't the only one either, I remember a lot of similar comments when the WiiU version was popular.

In one sentence you agree with DF that it's worth it to go 540p for mp, in the next you say the developer "shouldn't have needed to be sacrificed if they were looking to put out a quality game," which stands against what the article ultimately says that it's a solid quality game.

It's worth the sacrifice doesn't mean there should have been a sacrifice.

Bomberman is not from the era of Pong. Considering it didn't hit its stride and peak until the early-mid 90s games, you're off by over 20 years.

Still hella old.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I can't take you seriously skyzard when you say you have high standards but the vita was your main console for a good while there and a lot of its games didn't reach the native rez

Skyzard

Banned
I can't take you seriously skyzard when you say you have high standards but the vita was your main console for a good while there and a lot of its games didn't reach the native rez

Vita was my main portable console, the alternative was a 3DS.

I've always had a good PC for everything else.

There was like one subnative game I remember playing - LBP, and it was a fantastically made game which wasn't that far off native either. If there were others that I don't remember, it's probably because they were so close to native resolution that it was okay at the time. Or I didn't buy them because of the graphics/performance.

I already had PSP level of handheld graphics/complexity for years before Nintendo decided it was their time to upgrade a bit with the 3DS.

I'm consistent.

Maybe you guys are more forgiving because you recently came from the 3DS, I dunno.

Mega

Banned
You're talking about colours, I'm talking about clarity. 720p downsampled onto the gamepad's screen looked a hell of a lot better than any TV I tried it with even with magic upscaling.

It didn't look amazing because of the gamepad, but it was a lot easier to stomach. I wasn't the only one either, I remember a lot of similar comments when the WiiU version was popular.

The hell? I'm not talking about only colors. Re-read the post again. You're praising a lossy 720-to-480p stream on a low grade, grainy, muted LCD because you falsely claim upscaled 1080p has "Vaseline filter"... while crapping on a 540p natively rendered output on a much higher quality screen with better color accuracy. All the while admitting you haven't actually played the latter yourself and therefore don't know what you're truly talking about. You're the annoying by the numbers-type gamer that Dark10x from DF was talking about being disappointed by in the Snake Pass analysis thread.

Still hella old.

Comparing Bomberman to Pong for God knows what reason and then shrugging and dismissively saying "still hella old" when a 20+ year age difference is pointed out... doesn't make you look good.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bomberman would have cleaned up so much in 1972, that we'd all be playing games on a BomberStation now.

Hudson would rule the world.

Skyzard

Banned
The hell? I'm not talking about only colors. Re-read the post again. You're praising a lossy 720-to-480p stream on a low grade, grainy, muted LCD because you falsely claim upscaled 1080p has "Vaseline filter"... while crapping on a 540p natively rendered output on a much higher quality screen with better color accuracy. All the while admitting you haven't actually played the latter yourself and therefore don't know what you're truly talking about. You're the annoying by the numbers-type gamer that Dark10x from DF was talking about being disappointed by in the Snake Pass analysis thread.

720p -> 480 and on a tiny screen is going to look a hell of a lot sharper than a 720p image with no AA stretched across a massive screen.

It just is. There's no two ways about it.

If it had good AA, I would have played it on the TV because the gamepad's screen sucked. Without AA, and at that resolution, it was a blurry and jaggy mess on TV. Okay, your TV has magical upscaling that hides jaggies and turns 720p into crystal 1080 - I'll make sure to look for a genie next time I go to get one.

Comparing Bomberman to Pong for God knows what reason and then shrugging and dismissively saying "still hella old" when a 20+ year age difference is pointed out... doesn't make you look good.

The point is it's an old, simple game. One that should be released in 2017 as a much more impressive title.

Poppyseed

I'm just disappointed that the Switch in portable mode somehow can't do 720p native at 60fps in Bomberman. I mean, really...?

Maybe this is an interim patch while they get the 720p/60 code working correctly?

720p -> 480 and on a tiny screen is going to look a hell of a lot sharper than a 720p image with no AA stretched across a massive screen.

Sharpness isn't detail, though.

MK8 on my plasma stomps the gamepad because the image is more detailed, the blacks dark and inky, the colors vivid and accurate. The game looks literally pathetic and dull on the gamepad in comparison.

Poppyseed

Why would they? Seems to be good enough for a lot of loud folks in here.

Why? Because it's REALLY blurry now in portable mode. It was obvious from the first second this was running at PS Vita resolution.

Actually... UNDER PS Vita res.

Vita: 960x544
Switch Bomberman R Patch 1.3: 960x540.

Sad...

Don't get me wrong. I'll take 540p/60 over 720p/30 for this particular game, for sure. But come on. It's Bomberman! 720p/60 should be simple.

Mega

Banned

It just is. There's no two ways about it.

If it had good AA, I would have played it on the TV because the gamepad's screen sucked. Without AA, and at that resolution, it was a blurry and jaggy mess.

Nope, bullshit. Too many variables at play here for you to make that bogus claim and the Gamepad's terrible screen is easily bested, especially on the TV I played it on. You're fixated on playing the resolution numbers game at the detriment to all other factors.

The point is it's an old, simple game. One that should be released in 2017 as a much more impressive title.

You don't have the game so you can't lay claim to knowing how impressive it is or isn't.

Skyzard

Banned
^I know what bomberman is, I've seen enough videos of this version and know the details of performance thanks to DF. It's safe to assume the Switch could have had a nicer looking bomberman if Konami were willing to fund it. Unless you think the Switch just can't do better, which is nuts.

MK8 on my plasma stomps the gamepad because the image is more detailed, the blacks dark and inky, the colors vivid and accurate. The game looks literally pathetic and dull on the gamepad in comparison.

I bet. I didn't have the cables to hook it up properly to my SD plasma. I have 3 decent 1080p TVs that I tried it on and while the colours were nicer, the brutal jaggies coupled with a slightly blurry image was too much.

Why? Because it's REALLY blurry now in portable mode. It was obvious from the first second this was running at PS Vita resolution.

Sad...

Don't get me wrong. I'll take 540p/60 over 720p/30 for this particular game, for sure. But come on. It's Bomberman! 720p/60 should be simple.

Hey, I agree, the Switch's screen is also larger than the Vita's so it's even worse.

Apparently we're best ignored though.

Sad...

Blame the engine.

Why would they? Seems to be good enough for a lot of loud folks in here.
It is good enough but depending on the developer, there is something called pride to make it as good as possible.
And I don't think for a second that they are done supporting this game.
They've done a great job and didn't have to as it sold well with issues.

Mega

Banned

Same here. I didn't bother continuing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse because the game forces you to stare down at the Gamepad, which looked ridiculously worse than the screen right in front of me.

The Gamepad itself is also oddly soft on top of all its other problems.

Edit: you two guys are counting a 4 pixel rows difference and calling it SUB-Vita resolution? And then fail to understand getting called out for playing a pathetic numbers game (instead of actually playing and experiencing it for yourself). Yeah, neither of you totally has an agenda either. Nope.

Top Bottom