• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

BajiBoxer

Banned
For the kind of product Scorpio is, literally could not disagree more. This is a piece of hardware for enthusiasts, and throwing all of the tech specs out into through wild through a very insightful and knowledgeable news outlet is much better than some sterile presentation from an executive spewing numbers that even he doesn't understand.
Agreed. Hype up the games around E3. Don't waste a bunch of time at a general presentation throwing numbers at everyone with cg of console guts.

Theorry

Btw props to Windowscentral btw and Jez. I know they are looked weird upon at first.
But their leaks have been on point. Even with supersampling, internal PSU etc.

Papacheeks

Banned
Ok and what does that have to do with Scorpio which was never designed to give MS this glorious comeback to win TEH CONZOLE WAR!

Scorpio exists to keep their core demographic invested in the platform and to continue to drive up ASP's and revenue.

Stawp with the console war stuff. I thought that's what the XBox one S was doing and suppose to do? It had a UHD drive can do 4k playback on video content. Then has had the great OS improvements that according to people here has made it a great experience and something that is now smooth and responsive.

Also they had a premium xbox called the Elite earlier as well in this gen. So who was that for?

More power isn't doing your core fanbase a service, especially if a lot of them just upgraded or bought a XBox one s.

Guess we'll see come E3 and Fall how people react to it.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
A fun reference chart to reflect on:

Consoles2016-__2.jpg

Edit: Fixed

Niks

Now people are claiming Scorpio is stronger than a 1070 and also ( lol ) a 1080 GTX?
Da fuck is going on here?

Reason doesn't apply to hype threads.

Pretty shameless of DF to be obtuse and report on this. This is on the levels of "secret sauce" hyperbole.

jaypah

I'm in. Forced 16xAF and downsampling will mean image quality is insanely good at 1080p. The fact that 16xAF even extends to 360 games is very welcome surprise.

This feels like the Pro done right, so many little extra touches to sweeten the deal.

For some reason I haven't seen you around in ages. You're pretty much the poster that sent me kicking and screaming into PC gaming. That was years ago but I never got to thank you, so thanks for that. Funny seeing you happy about a new Xbox lol but it does seem pretty nice.

Learning reading comprehension is beneficial.

It goes both ways.

No one is claiming that scorpio is a match for 1080 specs. All I said was in one particular test it matched it's performance. And btw, with 55-65% of gpu utilization on that test, so it's not like scorpio was being pushed even, they were both eating this game alive.

sam777

So are they still hiding the official name because at this point I reckon they should just stick with Xbox Scorpio.

Wait a second....

Yesterday everyone was talking about: Zen CPU and Vega GPU.

24 hours later we got: Jaguar CPU and Polaris GPU

What happened???

Maybe they will sell one without a controller for $400-$450. That would be the best of me as I already have like 4 of them including two elite controllers.

RoKKeR

Wait a second?

What happened???

Baseless speculation. What we got today was I think in line with what most reasonable people expected, plus some interesting hardware customizations as far as the overall design is concerned.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wait a second....

What happened???

Hopes n dreams were yesterday.

Reality happened today.

Yeah, they did comparisons, here's again what they wrote:

Two issues. Apex is not Forza 6. The machine Turn 10 ran Forza 6 on wasn't a Scorpio.

When talking about Forza 6 Richard said MS received early production parts mid January. That has to mean the entire SOC on a mainboard right? Then he says they cobbled together a sort of prototype console. I mean maybe they had a sort of legit Scorpio, but if a 6TF AMD part bests a 1070 they truly have secret sauce.

Audette

A product like this could be my very first Xbox. Having never owned an Xbox before I have never really been interested in any of their exclusives, I'm just excited about the potential this gives their third-party games and backcompat. It's also another opportunity to buy the recent resident evil rereleases. We will just have to see about pricing.

Microsoft now has me interested, getting the help of digital foundry certainly helps. It's going to be one exciting E3.

Right, so dubious comparison then.
They compared results provided by Turn10 without any context to their own results. And didnt even compared it with similar hardware, which would be an AMD GPU.

Basically, you're basing your over reaching claim on something not solid at all.

They saw the game running right in front of their eyes, with tons of real time metrics of the test, including GPU utilization.

Then, they ran some tests on their own and reported the findings.

Why would have they test with AMD hardware though? Not sure I followed.

Stawp with the console war stuff. I thought that's what the XBox one S was doing and suppose to do? It had a UHD drive can do 4k playback on video content. Then has had the great OS improvements that according to people here has made it a great experience and something that is now smooth and responsive.

Also they had a premium xbox called the Elite earlier as well in this gen. So who was that for?

More power isn't doing your core fanbase a service, especially if a lot of them just upgraded or bought a XBox one s.

Guess we'll see come E3 and Fall how people react to it.

MS are aware this gen is over as far as who sells the most. Spencer said as much a long time back.

Scorpio is a continuation of the exact same thought process that MS has behind their software. Which is player investment, high ASP, and recurring revenue streams. Scorpio is going to add large amounts of revenue from a smaller base, similar to what they are practicing with changing their 1st party software output to GAAS.

The problem is most on GAF look at sales and the industry strictly as numbers and units and who sells the most. Obviously MS would kill to be in Sony's position. But they aren't and they won't be for this entire generation. The thought process then changes how can they still be successful with a lower unit count and that brings you to getting everything you can out of each individual consumer instead of a larger mass. Thus GAAS and doubling down on ideas to keep those people invested purchasing large ticket, high dollar items like Scorpio keeping them further invested in the Xbox Brand itself.

XBox Hank Scorio...

So we can forget about 399. This is going to be 499. I had hopes for a little less then that, but fuck it. I'll get it anyway.

Why? Compare the PS4 in 2013 and its equivalent hardware and do the same with Scorpio in 2017.

As for PS5 -- it will happen, but not soon.

I think rumors about PS5 will start circulating in 2019, not unlike how rumors Orbis (PS4's codename) started circulating in 2012.

Sony will call a PlayStation Meeting for December 3rd 2019, to both celebrate the PlayStation's 25th anniversary, and announce PS5 as a completely new console for a new generation. Mark Cerny will show us PS5 is over ten times more powerful than the original PS4 (and over 3 times more powerful than Scorpio) using a highly customized Zen+ APU, custom Navi GPU on a 2nd generation 7nm process and 64 GB HBM3, providing over 2 Terabytes/sec bandwidth. There will be a massive blowout at E3 2020 with release in November, about a week after the U.S. presidential election. PS5 will be powerful enough to combine native 4K, a huge leap in graphical fidelity and much more dynamic worlds thanks to Zen, HBM3 and much faster SSD storage technology that AMD is already combining with Vega technology on the Radeon SSG / 1TB SSD.

Joke post?

GodofWine

Any thoughts on the CPU, I don't care about 4K, I want this (and all consoles released going forward) to not choke on 5 year old PC games like Kerbal Space Program (first to come to mind), and ideally run modern CPU heavy games at an OK frame rate.

I'll probably have PC to play it on before then, but something like PU Battlegrounds (etc) really should be possible on a new console in 2018.

Matt

It goes both ways.

No one is claiming that scorpio is a match for 1080 specs. All I said was in one particular test it matched it's performance. And btw, with 55-65% of gpu utilization on that test, so it's not like scorpio was being pushed even, they were both eating this game alive.
Well, to be clear, you did in fact claim that:

It's a (surely) $400 console delivering the same performance of a 1080, a gpu that by itself costs more than double the console.

You then clarified later that you were just speaking about this one situation (which is still wrong, because they were just both reaching a locked framerate, which they could both do in lots of situations). Fine, but it's still a silly and misleading thing to say to people.

The Scorpio is not comparable to a 1080. It's absolutely not.

They saw the game running right in front of their eyes, with tons of real time metrics of the test, including GPU utilization.

Then, they ran some tests on their own and reported the findings.

Why would have they test with AMD hardware though? Not sure I followed.

Running in front of your eyes isnt how you drive a test. That must be done with extensive point of comparisons of the same product.
Also why an AMD hardware ? Because it's using an AMD GPU and if you want to see how it compares to comparable hardware, you use comparable hardware. Especially when according to DF, AMD cards had an advantage over Nvidia ones in Forza Apex.

Two issues. Apex is not Forza 6. The machine Turn 10 ran Forza 6 on wasn't a Scorpio.

When talking about Forza 6 Richard said MS received early production parts mid January. That has to mean the entire SOC on a mainboard right? Then he says they cobbled together a sort of prototype console. I mean maybe they had a sort of legit Scorpio, but if a 6TF AMD part bests a 1070 they truly have secret sauce.

True, and DF acknowledges that. But it was a port with higher graphics options and 4k assets, not how the game runs on Xbone either.

And DF noted that some settings were even set to higher than the final game allows for this test (Full LOD and 100% of the physics for all cars).

It's as close as to what it could've been, but of course it takes into account console optimization, but that's kinda the point Ms was making XD How they tuned the machine to a higher performance than the specs would suggest.

Top Bottom