• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

Stuart360

I don't think they were paid for this reveal (the clicks are going to be enough I am sure). But they were paid to make a recent article for MS though. Digital Foundry call this being "sponsored".
I was being sarcastic. Fact is i dont remember many people having a problem with DF in the pre-OneX days, in fact most people on here seemed to respect them greatly.

Last edited:

Ascend

Just some thoughts on the hardware...

• A 1TB SSD is fine. Currently games are a lot larger than they need to be, simply because many files on the hard drive have multiple copies to increase performance. Actual game sizes are quite smaller, and with SSDs, this technique is no longer necessary.
  • The main assets that take the most space in games are the textures followed by video/sound files. The rest are processing effects that either the CPU or the GPU add. I'm not expecting games to become THAT much bigger, especially combined with the point above. Textures are generally detailed enough already. And considering the hardware, I doubt pre-rendered cutscenes will be needed, which means, less storage space required.
  • The addition of the storage expansion slot is a good move. Microsoft doesn't want ignorant people plugging in a hard disk to then start to complain that Series X games are a stuttering mess or that they freeze or crash. It would not only be bad for Microsoft and Xbox, but developer support would waver after less users buy an Xbox without knowing the source of the problem.
  • Apparently you can simply plug in your 'old' external hard drive from the Xbox One consoles and it will work. Keep your old games on these drives and only install the Series X games on the internal SSD and you'll be fine for quite a while.
  • Don't expect the expansion drive to be cheap. Honestly, I'm expecting at least $150 for a 1TB drive. SSD drivers are not cheap, and we know that whenever Seagate and Microsoft partner for storage, you pay a premium rather than getting a discount.
  • 16GB of RAM is more than enough. It has been proven multiple times current games at 4K use under 6GB of VRAM. Considering the CPU and GPU can both access the same RAM pool, this really is a non-issue for the upcoming years, even with the 2.5GB being locked out for the OS. That is without taking the new features like SFS into account.
  • Considering the die size of the Xbox Series X is practically the same as the Xbox One X, the main cost increase for the Series X would be the SSD. I expect the release price to be $499, although we can see anything between $449 and $599. It would sell like hotcakes at $399, but I think that's too good to be true for such a machine.
  • Remember that the power supply of this thing is 300W. That means that an 8C/12T CPU running at 3.8 GHz combined with a GPU with 52CU running at 1.825 GHz is using approximately 200W. The implications for PC graphics cards here is HUGE.

• 16GB of RAM is more than enough. It has been proven multiple times current games at 4K use under 6GB of VRAM. Considering the CPU and GPU can both access the same RAM pool, this really is a non-issue for the upcoming years, even with the 2.5GB being locked out for the OS. That is without taking the new features like SFS into account
I think you’re correct but why is it that so many people swear that 16 is bottleneck?

Ascend

I think you’re correct but why is it that so many people swear that 16 is bottleneck?
Most people don't understand hardware or how games work. Bandwidth is a lot more important than size for graphics. RAM allocation is also often multiplied in GPUs in order to account for bandwidth, just like it's done on hard drives to improve loading and streaming.
The issues only occur when you want to buffer more in RAM than you have available. It's the reason that a 12 GB graphics card might allocate 11 GB of VRAM, while a 6GB card allocates 5.7GB for the exact same game and still runs fine without any stutters. If the space is there, you might as well use it.

E-Cat

The 25 TF “equivalent” performance is a load of crap. C’mon people TF are meaningless for RT.
No, they're not. It's just that raytracing is a lot more expensive to do on general purpose shader hw. What is so hard to understand about that?

E-Cat

Its not 25tf worth of computing power though. Its basically 'free' RT. You have a game without RT, you have 12TF to play with. You have a game with RT, you have 12TF to play with.
No one is saying that it is the equivalent of 25 TF of general-purpose computing power, though.

thelastword

Banned
"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

What does that mean?
FP16, they can go FP8 and FP4...….Just as you heard on PS4 and PRO all those years...….What ONQ got derided and ridiculed for all these years...

892GB/s of memory bandwidth. Holy shit. ;)
Where are you getting that from? 560Gb/s and 336 GB/s is the same ram pool, 6GB is clocked lower......It does not exceed 560Gb/s if the lower speed memory is used, it can get slightly lower then..
who? link?
Tommy Fisher was as accurate as a die on XBOX Series X specs......He also gave information on another console....You can check on it in that thread....

sinnergy

FP16, they can go FP8 and FP4...….Just as you heard on PS4 and PRO all those years...….What ONQ got derided and ridiculed for all these years...

Where are you getting that from? 560Gb/s and 336 GB/s is the same ram pool, 6GB is clocked lower......It does not exceed 560Gb/s if the lower speed memory is used, it can get slightly lower then..

Tommy Fisher was as accurate as a die on XBOX Series X specs......He also gave information on another console....You can check on it in that thread....
25 TF. is enough for me even if PS5 is 30 TF, i won’t buy , too much power .

ZywyPL

Banned
The 25 TF “equivalent” performance is a load of crap. C’mon people TF are meaningless for RT.

That's exactly what RT is for in modern GPUs, to offload the heaviest computations like shadows, reflections etc. an those basically ASIC, which not pnly offload them but ru much, much better. That's why RT results are so much better than resterization, where it's less precise and eats up just half/1/2TF of all available computing power.

So in effect this is a console with a 10GB GPU and 6GB for the CPU...

that being said the specs and the interchangeable SSD are pretty neat... However, I would have preferred it if they let us just put some NvME drive of our own choosing in there, these "custom" solutions are always over priced.

Shin

Banned
Currently games are a lot larger than they need to be
This is an Xbox problem of the current generation, games on Xbox are larger than their PS4 counterpart.
I believe it was the case during X360/PS3 era also, something is wrong with their compression (is it Windows itself vs. Linux?).

No its about performance targets, actually. Nothing to do with making money. Yeah, I'm sure MS will put a healthy bit on the cost of them, that's true. But the speeds and quality of these drives is essential to the running and performance of the systems. Yes, systems. PS5 will be the exact same way. Google the PSP memory card situation for more.
I doubt Sony allow external memory card like on XSX. Their custom SSD is too custom and too fast (about 2x faster in raw speed) to allow this. They'll probably have 2TB of SSD and an external HDD for archiving purpose. Don't forget that I already told you (unsuccessfully) about the 13/3 memory setup. :messenger_winking:

E-Cat

I kinda feel like a couple posts were trying to tout it as such, earlier on at least
Could be, I have not read that far back. The point is, real-time raytracing was always going to be a part of the graphics equation going forward. And, if I might remind everyone, ASIC raytracing capabilities in mainstream GPUs were incomprehensible to imagine two ears ago. In other words, without this very recent development, for the next-gen consoles to be feasible in their current form we would've needed to wait until ~2023 for 25 teraflops. But now we don't, so yay.

I doubt Sony allow external memory card like on XSX. Their custom SSD is too custom and too fast (about 2x faster in raw speed) to allow this. They'll probably have 2TB of SSD and an external HDD for archiving purpose. Don't forget that I already told you (unsuccessfully) about the 13/3 memory setup. :messenger_winking:

Interesting.

So you’re saying even an nvme expansion won’t be fast enough for PS5?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I remember last year I threw out a number out there saying 12gb GDDR6. Turns out it's 16gb, which my random guess is actually closer than some people saying 20-24gb. lol

Shai-Tan

Banned
Its not 25tf worth of computing power though. Its basically 'free' RT. You have a game without RT, you have 12TF to play with. You have a game with RT, you have 12TF to play with.

Sadly not free because rt doesn't only happen in the dedicated part of GPU. It's one of the reasons rtx games performance tanks so much

Stuart360

Sadly not free because rt doesn't only happen in the dedicated part of GPU. It's one of the reasons rtx games performance tanks so much
I actually agree with you, it doesnt make total sense to me, but that is how Microsoft are explaining it. Its certainly not 'free' on RTX cards. Unless AMD's solution is simply better.

Shin

Banned
I remember last year I threw out a number out there saying 12gb GDDR6. Turns out it's 16gb, which my random guess is actually closer than some people saying 20-24gb. lol
At least your expectation was more down to earth, reading what I Tweeted 3 years ago is funny/crazy as hell now :p
Dat memory amount and bus width :messenger_smirking: (get the dig at Cerny, which I sent that message to and other important PS people).

b50bababa9.jpg

These are fucking great specs and awesome features.

Love the multiple game resume that loads in like 6 seconds. Fucking awesome.
Love the fact that current gen games get boosted to PC ultra settings.
I'm a Sony fan but I definitely love this box. Its everything i wanted in a next gen console. If both are the same specs, it's really going to come down to which games I want to play.
Even though i have like 110 games on my PS4 currently, i wouldn't mind dropping it for an Xbox and then picking up PS5 later on, if Xbox really is the most attractive prospect come next gen.

I'm stoked. Can't wait.

Interesting.

So you’re saying even an nvme expansion won’t be fast enough for PS5?
I think the memory cards would be too expensive. Their solution will probably be 2TB of available storage + convenient archiving system on HDD.

Sony (Cerny actually) already tried expensive memory cards on Vita... it was a failure, I doubt they try again on PS5.

3.8 ghz, 8 cores. HOLY SHIT. I need controller impressions though.

The PS5 better step up big time. They got some specs to beat.
Please. Educate yourself.

In the history of this industry, the successful console always came down to the software/services offered. It was never about POWER/SPECS.

I don't know why this narrative is always repeated adnaseum despite there being clear evidence to prove the above.

Banned
It's not like they are the only ones, who get to see what's next for MS. Austin Evans also have a video and he was pretty fucking harsh (harsh but fair in this sense) about XB1 in his documentary about consoles.

don't disturb his narrative :pie_roffles: :pie_roffles:

Top Bottom