• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide closes down, drops lawsuit

Blam

ciwazeP.gif

Gxgear

That's it, stiff upper lip to the very end.

The fact that Steam's secondary market can sustain, and even encourage companies like Digital Suicide is quite troublesome.

Aaron D.

Karma really can be a bitch sometimes.

Love how they refused to budge an inch all the way up to the bitter end (a.k.a. "It's EVERYONE ELSE'S fault.")

You will not be missed.

Well actually you will be missed as a deplorable company to lampoon on.

they should've kept making shitty games and gaming the system by making money off trading cards while getting free publicity from jim. they deserve this outcome for being so stupid.

Steroyd

Is there anything in place to stop them from forming a new business, changing some logos and jumping straight back on steam?

No, but like the last time they had sock puppet developer names the internet will find out, the only blind spot is if they make a good game that people want to part their cash with and to actually play the games because they're fun.

But for now.

*Maniacal laughter*

Surprised they were able to make a living from their garbage software. Good on steam to finally do something right

I don't know that Steam deserves much credit; their actions were driven entirely from DH's poorly thought-out lawsuit. DH was still perfectly allowed by Valve to run the business how they wanted up until that point, which means that there's little to stop a copycat from repeating that, even if another Jimquisition brings in notoriety. So from a certain perspective, Steam hasn't 'done the right thing' as far as curation of its own store goes. Still plenty of cheap asset flips and shady Early Access abusers out there designed to siphon money from the trading cards they generate and Valve is doing nothing.

enemy2k

Haha fuck you Digital Homicide. The only thing you digitally murdered were your reputations and careers. Now fuck off.

And thank god for Jim fucking Sterling son.

ElRenoRaven

Can't wait when a "new" steam dev appears out of no where spamming asset rehashes. Wonder how much longer they'll keep trying to sue JIm.

foltzie1

The case was dismissed without prejudice (which means they could refile).

Also without a liquidation via bankruptcy, they arent really gone.

oni-link

Can't wait when a "new" steam dev appears out of no where spamming asset rehashes. Wonder how much longer they'll keep trying to sue JIm.

I think they sued him to a) be a nuisance to him, and b) shut him up

It will hurt them more than him long term, but you can't say it didn't work

MiguelItUp

I still can't help but feel like something is off with Digital Homicide. I mean, it's hard to wrap my head around. The roads they tried to take, and how they took them. It's just not normal.

Reposting from the thread that was just closed:

Someone eventually needs to create cliff notes about this whole ordeal. I don't even know who Digital Homicide is or what they did wrong, but they've popped up in like a dozen Gaf threads over the past month or two. I'm curious about the whole thing but don't know where to begin.

Hylian7

Reposting this from the other thread: Is the case against Jim dropped too?

Can someone explain to me why gaming community hates this dev team? and what the drama is with Jim sterling? Thx!

Digital Homicide is one of the devs that does the "asset flip" for their "games", where they buy assets from the Unity Store, throw them together and call it a "game" even though it's total garbage with no effort put in, and sell them for a buck on Steam to make money off trading card sales. Jim Sterling called them out, as he plays a log of crap that gets through Steam Greenlight and onto Steam, and then they retaliated by responding to one of his videos with his own video, but with text overlayed saying all this shit about how "fucking stupid" Jim fucking Sterling son (that video was how he got that name) was, so they kept this feud going with him. They wanted to have an interview with him and record it, so he did and you could just tell from this thing how delusional they were. It was an hour of absolute ridiculousness. They continued putting out these kinds of games on Steam, and kept calling Jim a "leech", and that he was "weaponizing his fans" to harass DH.

DH kept making threats to sue him, but they didn't for a while until earlier this year. They sued him, and were representing themselves. Then a few weeks ago, they sued 100 Steam users, including Baron von FappyWank (which I'm sure they expect a judge to look at and somehow not laugh). Then Valve removed DH's games from Steam because they were being hostile toward customers, and then this happened and here we are.

Someone eventually needs to create cliff notes about this whole ordeal. I don't even know who Digital Homicide is or what they did wrong, but they've popped up in like a dozen Gaf threads over the past month or two. I'm curious about the whole thing but don't know where to begin.

They released asset-flips on Steam, Jim Sterling made a video about their bad games, they sued him, later on they sued steam user and wanted to sue Steam when Steam knew a company is sueing their (Steam) users.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The funny thing is if they had just shut the fuck up, laughed along with Jim and not give a shit and not take things so seriously, they'd be able to keep on 'creating' their games and still make whatever money they were making on trading cards etc.

Made a crappy Steam greenlight game.
Sterling does a video on how fucking terrible it is and how it stole assets. (And it stole plenty.)
They sue him, with no attorney, just themselves.
The court case details are hilarious because they aren't attorneys. So there's lots of fuck ups in the process.
Everyone shits on them on Steam.
Time passes.
Out of nowhere, now they wanted to sue 100+ Steam users for saying bad things about them on Steam, so they subpoena Valve for their info.
Valve pulls their games off of the store.
DH files to dismiss the suits because of loss of income from not having their games up for sale, which I doubt anyone was buying.

Amauri14

Good riddance. I hope that Jim Sterling's case gets drop too, so we can all watch him ripping them apart in The Jimquisition.

Xater

I still can't help but feel like something is off with Digital Homicide. I mean, it's hard to wrap my head around. The roads they tried to take, and how they took them. It's just not normal.

I don't know if you listened to the interview Jim did with the guy, it's hard to listen to, but from that you should know they don't have their shit together.

joecanada

The funny thing is if they had just shut the fuck up, laughed along with Jim and not give a shit and not take things so seriously, they'd be able to keep on 'creating' their games and still make whatever money they were making on trading cards etc.

yup very good point.

When business and feelings mix, this is the result.

the correct response would have been to laugh with Jim "ok we make silly games but we enjoy it and we hope others do to".

one and done.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

That's not how these assholes work.

Is there anything in place to stop them from forming a new business, changing some logos and jumping straight back on steam?

This is what I expect will happen. They will probably form a new company (maybe under pseudonyms or using family members as the founders?) and put themselves back on Steam. Hopefully they'll pay a bit more attention to their product quality and keep their heads down without being twats.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love how they legally gagged their biggest critic, who they claimed was hurting their business, from talking about them and during that time managed to kill their own company without so much as a word from him.

Top Bottom