• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide closes down, drops lawsuit

MiguelItUp

I don't know if you listened to the interview Jim did with the guy, it's hard to listen to, but from that you should know they don't have their shit together.

Yeah, I definitely tried to listen to that as much as possible, and I couldn't for long. I mean I always thought they were kind of off, but that interview was a huge red flag IMO.

I think those Steam Users do have some responsibility in all this if the claims are true. A Steam Account shouldn't be a license to lie or give false opinion on games. Such accounts should be targeted by Valve to not allow them to post opinions or reviews any longer. There are no winners/heroes here.

Hylian7

I think those Steam Users do have some responsibility in all this if the claims are true. A Steam Account shouldn't be a license to lie or give false opinion on games. Such accounts should be targeted by Valve to not allow them to post opinions or reviews any longer. There are no winners/heroes here.

You can't be serious...

What exactly is a "false opinion"?

Bedlam

Hopefully these brothers never get to set another foot onto Steam again. Fuck their shovelware trash clogging up Steam and more importantly: fuck their delusional and confrontational attitude.

I wonder if they dismissed with or without prejudice. And also if they drafted up a settlement and general release first before they did that.

If they didn't and dismissed without prejudice (meaning they could refile again) the defendants could demand their legal costs from Digital Homicide.

Bedlam

Is this a joke?

I do remember your name from somewhere... weren't you one of the crazy NMS defenders?

LakeEarth

When the Digital Homicide CEO finally gave up and made the decision to close down, he got very angry and started pounding his fist on his desk out of anger. Just pounding it ...

Pounding it ...

Pounding it ...

(heavy breathing)

Pounding it ...

Tecnniqe

Banned
can someone summarize what the hell was going on and how this lawsuit thing started?

>Shit company makes shit game
>Jim rip the game a new one
>Copy Pasta uploaders do the folloing
giphy.gif

>Decide they'll DOX Jim
>That didn't help
>Do interview with Jim
tumblr_n45pnsYpW41qg2p2fo1_250.gif

>Make a legal case against him for not liking their games, it's not fair
>At this point;
19cl1kbg9cr72gif.gif

>Thing seems to calm down but lets fast forward a bit
>Angry at steam reviewers slamming their game
53mvb.gif

>Tried to file lawsuits against steam users and tries to force Valve to give their information up via a subpoena
P1VgDNB.gif

>Valve removes them completely from Steam
tumblr_lcqjsihj5t1qzqbnoo1_r1_400.gif~c200

>They want to go after Valve now for removing them
>Some time goes by...
>We get this thread
WUiyN6.gif

Something like that, if I recall all the shit they've done recently.

There are winners here:

Valve for not bowing any longer to their bullshit.

The critics for having their voices heard.

And steam for no longer having its shelves clogged with worthless garbage.

I mean, I would agree with you if we were talking about a legitimate developer, but DH were clearly shitbags. Their games actually were terrible and no amount of "false opinions," would change that.

There definitely are winners in this, everyone who refused to allow these guys to pump out garbage to make a quick buck.

zeorhymer

can someone summarize what the hell was going on and how this lawsuit thing started?

Jim Sterling did a Jimpression on a game called Slaughtering Grounds.

Digital Homicide made a review of the review and started bashing it.

Jim Sterling did a review of the review of the review and just laughed his ass off.

Jim Sterling made a couple more reviews of a couple of games that had different publishers. He found out later that all of the publishers were Digital Homicide.

DH did not like that they were being criticized. So they "invited" JS for an interview/podcast. JS agreed and they asked a bunch of questions trying to dox him and/or to get him implicated. They failed miserably and a few other people picked up on it and covered it.

DH really got pissed and decided to sue JS for defamation/slander and all that good jazz. Unfortunately, DH did not have any funds for such a suit and on their "website" had a gofundme for the legal cost.

JS said to bring it on.

DH got even more mad and decided to sue Valve and a bunch of anon accounts for being mean.

Valve stepped in and wiped them off the store.

I think this is gist of the events.

joecanada

I mean, I would agree with you if we were talking about a legitimate developer, but DH were clearly shitbags. Their games actually were terrible and no amount of "false opinions," would change that.

There definitely are winners in this, everyone who refused to allow these guys to pump out garbage to make a quick buck.

yeah, I mean I would be a lot more suspicious of people who rated shovelware like theirs favorably than the people giving out supposed "false " reviews. Actually I have read some reviews and they seem to be honest to a point. They mention asset flipping, broken games, and other nonsense. Sounds pretty honest to me.

My experience with Steam reviews is that they are largely inaccurate and don't at all reflect the content of a game. Maybe the case is different here, but then again maybe the general forum culture for World of Warcraft is not toxic anymore. I doubt it, but anything is possible.

If there is anything I can count on with Steam it is shitty reviews that don't at all help me to decide if a game is worth purchasing. Most of them exist merely to make people laugh or shit on a game in a comedic manner.

Accoun

Reposting from the thread that was just closed:

Someone eventually needs to create cliff notes about this whole ordeal. I don't even know who Digital Homicide is or what they did wrong, but they've popped up in like a dozen Gaf threads over the past month or two. I'm curious about the whole thing but don't know where to begin.

This video should give you an idea what kind of people they are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6s0Wpn1zmU

Plus this as a bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqxPgK87dM

Bedlam

My experience with Steam reviews is that they are largely inaccurate and don't at all reflect the content of a game. Maybe the case is different here, but then again maybe the general forum culture for World of Warcraft is not toxic anymore. I doubt it, but anything is possible.

If there is anything I can count on with Steam it is shitty reviews that don't at all help me to decide if a game is worth purchasing. Most of them exist merely to make people laugh or shit on a game in a comedic manner.
So you were guessing that these opinions were "wrong" just "because" while you know nothing about DH's shovelware crap?

Good going! Strong argument. Keep writing these insightful posts.

Jim Sterling did a Jimpression on a game called Slaughtering Grounds.

Digital Homicide made a review of the review and started bashing it.

Jim Sterling did a review of the review of the review and just laughed his ass off.

Jim Sterling made a couple more reviews of a couple of games that had different publishers. He found out later that all of the publishers were Digital Homicide.

DH did not like that they were being criticized. So they "invited" JS for an interview/podcast. JS agreed and they asked a bunch of questions trying to dox him and/or to get him implicated. They failed miserably and a few other people picked up on it and covered it.

DH really got pissed and decided to sue JS for defamation/slander and all that good jazz. Unfortunately, DH did not have any funds for such a suit and on their "website" had a gofundme for the legal cost.

JS said to bring it on.

DH got even more mad and decided to sue Valve and a bunch of anon accounts for being mean.

Valve stepped in and wiped them off the store.

I think this is gist of the events.

perfect summary. !!

Tecnniqe

Banned
Oh, I felt they wiped the users that complained about the games.

LOL, who ran that publisher? Bunch of babies, that is why they are gone.

DH controlled the pages for their games alone, and Valve took no action, as far as I know, until DH tried to force their hand to get to their paying customers.

That's when Valve had enough and just shut them down without breaking a sweat.

Kthulhu

>Shit company makes shit game
>Jim rip the game a new one
>Copy Pasta uploaders do the folloing
giphy.gif

>Decide they'll DOX Jim
>That didn't help
>Do interview with Jim
tumblr_n45pnsYpW41qg2p2fo1_250.gif

>Make a legal case against him for not liking their games, it's not fair
>At this point;
19cl1kbg9cr72gif.gif

>Thing seems to calm down but lets fast forward a bit
>Angry at steam reviewers slamming their game
53mvb.gif

>Tried to file lawsuits against steam users and tries to force Valve to give their information up via a subpoena
P1VgDNB.gif

>Valve removes them completely from Steam
tumblr_lcqjsihj5t1qzqbnoo1_r1_400.gif~c200

>They want to go after Valve now for removing them
>Some time goes by...
>We get this thread
WUiyN6.gif

Something like that, if I recall all the shit they've done recently.

Yup. That's pretty much what happened. I'm almost sad to see this end. Just because Jim was so entertaining when he called these guys out.

Necron

So we're soon in for the best Jimquisition ever? Looking forward to the grand finale in this whole debacle.

I'd say good riddance, but it isn't all over until Jim's case is dropped, as well.
Not to mention the glorious Jimquisition surely to follow.

How the fuck do you say your case is solid, and then proceed to waste tons of money on lawyers trying to get rid of dissent against their shit games? It's clear that something was wrong and yet, they drank the kool-aid. I absolutely do not buy the BS excuse that because Steam removed their games that they had no financial backing, I highly doubt they were making that much money with the huge negative WOM anyway.

legacyzero

Banned
The Jimquiation that will explode into the internet with power and glory when this is all done will be the greatest video ever made.

hesido

I don't think Jim will spare an entire episode for this, no matter how intense it became after the doxxing and the lawsuits. I think he'll just spare 2-3 minutes as if it's nothing.

I was really hoping for this outcome, glad they are closing down. I cannot believe that they even tried to go for lawsuits when they clearly were in the wrong.

LiK

When they create a new company, you bet your ass the Internet will find out and spread the word.

Pif

Banned
I'd pay good money for a Digital Homicide Simulator. A click game were you develop shit and then sue people in order to go bankrupt the quickest possible.

gamerMan

I don't like jimquisition at all. The guy just says "controversial" clickbait things to get views like "Quantum Break Is Blatantly Better Than Uncharted 4." As much as I don't like him, this "lawsuit" was silly.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't like jimquisition at all. The guy just says "controversial" clickbait things to get views like "Quantum Break Is Blatantly Better

Maybe you should have read that particular article first before writting this post.
Also Jim doesn't have any ads on his site, so "clickbaiting" is literally useless since he doesn't get any money whether you click on his site or not.

Unless this is masterful satire and I didn't get it.

Top Bottom