• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide closes down, drops lawsuit

Bedlam

I don't like jimquisition at all. The guy just says "controversial" clickbait things to get views like "Quantum Break Is Blatantly Better Than Uncharted 4." As much as I don't like him, this "lawsuit" was silly.
False. How about you watch some episodes instead of spreading prejudices? Jim may have some odd tastes here and there (like all of us) but he never pushes those on his viewers. He gets that not everyone shares his Dynasty Warriors obsession, for example. No clickbait at all.

Are you one of those that are still salty because he gave AC2 a low score, maybe?

There are winners here:

Valve for not bowing any longer to their bullshit.

The critics for having their voices heard.

And steam for no longer having its shelves clogged with worthless garbage.

There is still PLENTY of garbage on Steam ..

But loss of digital suicide is a welcome news

My experience with Steam reviews is that they are largely inaccurate and don't at all reflect the content of a game. Maybe the case is different here, but then again maybe the general forum culture for World of Warcraft is not toxic anymore. I doubt it, but anything is possible.

If there is anything I can count on with Steam it is shitty reviews that don't at all help me to decide if a game is worth purchasing. Most of them exist merely to make people laugh or shit on a game in a comedic manner.

I think, maybe, if it were possible, you can assume that everyone in this thread that has had contact with what the developer has done and was informed of what their content was have a better grasp on what the reviews would entail than you do since apparently you are just judging the reviews from the developer's claims and not from their actual output. All things considered.

ghostjoke

Banned
So long. I do expect they will try against under some other name/scheme to shit up the pc market place, but the lawsuits going away is a win for logic/justice. Hoping to see a tweet from Jim Sterling soon enough saying that their lawsuit against him has been resolved.

Maximo

I don't like jimquisition at all. The guy just says "controversial" clickbait things to get views like "Quantum Break Is Blatantly Better Than Uncharted 4." As much as I don't like him, this "lawsuit" was silly.

200.gif

Kthulhu

I don't think Jim will spare an entire episode for this, no matter how intense it became after the doxxing and the lawsuits. I think he'll just spare 2-3 minutes as if it's nothing.

That's the most I'd ask for, just something in the intro or outro.

Some posters better be careful here, they're posting the very same lies and slander that DH was suing Sterling and 100 Jane/John Doe*. That is saying their assets were stolen.. Stock assets were purchased and used within their rights and Jim Sterling did edit an article to reflect this (in some state of America this means you can still sue based on what it originally said).

Also the Steam users wasn't really negative reviews it was saying things like "pirated assets" and mean things like "I'll get my popcorn ready" and "Let's get Jim fucking Sterling Son onto this" (at least that is what the evidence is the submitted court cases shows, whenever asked about Roonie will tell you about all the death threats)

*-I decided to look up why these legal placeholder names are not gender neutral? Their origin might be as early as Edward the Third (the 14th century) but more documented use seems to be in the 19th century.

Given how notoriously shady theyve been when it comes to releasing their games under a dozen or so different company names,i highly doubt they're gone.

They got kicked off steam as digital Homicide,so they're most likely just going to give themselves a new company name and jump back onto steam and go back to shitting it up with asset flipped garbage.

I need to know if Jim's back is well enough to him to still dance like those GIF's.

The financial cost of this type of suit would be the first thing to understand in moving ahead in the proceedings. The second thing to understand would have been how poorly it was going to go for you. The third would be never feed them after midnight.

Kerned

Banned
Some posters better be careful here, they're posting the very same lies and slander that DH was suing Sterling and 100 Jane/John Doe*. That is saying their assets were stolen.. Stock assets were purchased and used within their rights and Jim Sterling did edit an article to reflect this (in some state of America this means you can still sue based on what it originally said).

Also the Steam users wasn't really negative reviews it was saying things like "pirated assets" and mean things like "I'll get my popcorn ready" and "Let's get Jim fucking Sterling Son onto this" (at least that is what the evidence is the submitted court cases shows, whenever asked about Roonie will tell you about all the death threats)

*-I decided to look up why these legal placeholder names are not gender neutral? Their origin might be as early as Edward the Third (the 14th century) but more documented use seems to be in the 19th century.

Someone saying mean things to you isn't grounds for a lawsuit. No posters here need to "be careful," but it's nice that you're so concerned.

All employees should be named and blacklisted from the industry.

Normally, this would be a really, really shitty reply but ...

Except Digital Homicide Studios consists solely of James Romine and his brother. There isn't a "Studio" to speak of here. Just two guys in their basements.

It's this. Digital Homicide is just Robert and James Romine. They have no other employees. But they don't work in a basement. Their 'headquarters' is a mobile home in Yuma, AZ.

Aselith

That's true as far as gameplay is concerned. Uncharted games have always had very weak and boring gunplay.

Normally, this would be a really, really shitty reply but ...

It's this. Digital Homicide is just Robert and James Romine. They have no other employees. But they don't work in a basement. Their 'headquarters' is a mobile home in Yuma, AZ.

Wait.. these guys live in a trailer together and scam people? That's their life? Lmao. I'd sue God.

90500_original.gif

I almost feel bad for them. But then I think of how shitty they were as devs and how unprofessional and disrespectful they were to their customers.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
yup very good point.

When business and feelings mix, this is the result.

the correct response would have been to laugh with Jim "ok we make silly games but we enjoy it and we hope others do to".

one and done.

That's not how these assholes work.

Well yeah, hence why seeing them shoot themselves in the foot is most amusing when they could have played it much smarter!

Contextually speaking, you can, but it's flimsy at best unless you can prove how it impacted your business on a major scale.

You can sue people for a lot of things. Doesn't mean you'll win.

Dinjoralo

Wait, what's the status on Jim's lawsuit? Because this is making it seem like they can't do anything now, since they don't have any money to do legal nonsense with.

And nothing of value was lost.

On the TechRaptor article, I love how Romine says they were fighting to make the Steam market more open, then complains about how hundreds of garbage games get through Greenlight.

And on the subject of...

Hundreds of examples of these and our stuff has at least and in some cases significantly more work into them.

...they're basically saying "We make crap, but some guys are even worse!"

(Also, I'm willing to bet that as ugly as the screenshot they show is, the developers at least drew the assets themselves)

Wait, what's the status on Jim's lawsuit? Because this is making it seem like they can't do anything now, since they don't have any money to do legal nonsense with.

That's still ongoing, but the only thing that's happened in the past three months is Romine filed a motion to amend an older paper. No doubt Romine is determined to drag it out as long as possible because he knows what's coming after it gets thrown out.

I think, maybe, if it were possible, you can assume that everyone in this thread that has had contact with what the developer has done and was informed of what their content was have a better grasp on what the reviews would entail than you do since apparently you are just judging the reviews from the developer's claims and not from their actual output. All things considered.

Well the text did say that they singled out what 11 users? I would be interested to see the content of those 11 reviews to know for sure. I mean that's the purpose of litigation to make ones case to a judge.

Sad that it had to come to this but they did themselves in. Where some people dog piling on them? Yes but you can't keep repeatedly provoking the mob and expect nothing to happen. Honestly if they had just taken their initial criticism and not gotten pissed off and thrown multiple fits they never would of brought so much attention onto themselves. Because at the end of the day the initial criticism is warranted. Their games for the most part were garbage. Hope these guys learn a lesson but who am I kidding? They likely still believe they're in the right.

Bigrx1

Banned
Sad thing is there are lots of other developers like them still going strong on steam. Some pumping out 20 garbage titles a month almost. It's unbelievable the cess pool that Steam has become.

Bigrx1

Banned
The sad thing is, you know they'll be back in some form soon enough.

They are so full of themselves, so arrogant, so oblivious... These are the types of people that won't stop no matter how deep they dig their own holes.

My thoughts too - there is no way they will just vanish. Digital Homicide may be done but no way are they done.

Well the text did say that they singled out what 11 users? I would be interested to see the content of those 11 reviews to know for sure. I mean that's the purpose of litigation to make ones case to a judge.

They specifically singled out 11 users for the document while blanketing the other 89 users they were also suing.

marmoka

Banned
Is this the company that was releasing the same horrible game under different names in Steam? I have heard that some users discovered the trick, and started monitoring all games in order to find more like this, and they were sued by the developers.

If I'm in corrector thread, then well deserved.

I'm going to miss them. Their lawsuits were turning into an endless source of entertainment.

Don't worry, if their past is any indication, they've already secretly been running another company to crap more games onto Steam while everyone's distracted with this.

Out of nowhere, now they wanted to sue 100+ Steam users for saying bad things about them on Steam, so they subpoena Valve for their info.
Valve pulls their games off of the store.
DH files to dismiss the suits because of loss of income from not having their games up for sale, which I doubt anyone was buying.

There were multiple gaffers if who were buying the DH games for trading cards. They were probably far from the only ones.

Sad thing is there are lots of other developers like them still going strong on steam. Some pumping out 20 garbage titles a month almost. It's unbelievable the cess pool that Steam has become.
It just accurately reflects the nature of PC gaming as a whole. A tiny fraction being the AAA and indie games you know about, surrounded by a massive ocean of everything else. More Ludum Dare game jam entries released in 2015 and 2016 alone than the entire Steam library.

They should have just said they were suing Saudia Arabia.

That's.... great?

However, this has nothing to do with Jim Sterling. You don't lose any street cred for not siding with Digital Homicide.

Not the best people but I think someone needs to challange valve on some of it's policies moderations etc. but everyone is too scared to lose the revenue so needs to be some company that is either a Rockstar or a small one which steam has really screwed over. Steams monoply may be good for many but if left un checked then can end up getting really dodgy in places etc.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So they blamed lack of funds not their total lack of case, I guess he wanted to go out the way he went in, as a delusional douchbag.

Top Bottom