• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

Peterthumpa

I'm always baffled by people that imply streaming a game is even remotely the same as playing it natively, they weren't playing handheld Doom, they were playing console Doom streamed to a handheld screen, there's a very big difference, mainly being it requires you to have a good internet connection at all times, which simply isn't possible for most people.

Glad I scrolled down a little bit and saw your reply, was going to say exactly the same thing. Comparing the Switch to Remote Play is just plain dumb.

I mean, the entire PS4 library can be played on a handheld which you can buy for less than $150 nowadays. I wonder why this alien technology isn't selling like the Switch is.

So is this basically the 3DO equivalent version of the original doom?

Curious how many none Switch owners are defending what looks like a really crappy port(although technically impressive, I guess?).

I guess you can play a console style game on the train though, that's a plus. Regular portable style games just aren't enough anymore it seems.

Mameshiba

Neo Member
Reading this thread I got the impression that the id tech engine would sacrifice basically everything else in order to keep a solid 60 fps. After watching the DigitalFoundry video of the PS4/XBox One I am slightly confused, because the game seems to dip below 60 FPS quite frequently, especially the XBox version is basically always below 60 FPS whenever any action is happening. Am I missing something?

Peterthumpa

Curious how many none Switch owners are defending what looks like a really crappy port(although technically impressive, I guess?).

I guess you can play a console style game on the train though, that's a plus. Regular portable style games just aren't enough anymore it seems.

Hahaha, I swear to God, some of the folks around here are probably paid to hate everything Nintendo related. Please elaborate why do you think it's a "crappy" port "although technically impressive" if the whole point of the previews was to evaluate the game's performance?

Chindogg

DF themselves say it's an impressive port. For once stop interpreting numbers and read into their actual analysis.

What the hell is going on in this thread?

If Digital Foundry says it's a good port for what it is, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt since they're the technical experts.

Other people acting like 30fps took on a human form and went on a rampage murdering all of the cute puppies in the world. 30fps is of course not desirable, but it's not the end of the world, either.

Nintendo fans talking about "technical marvel" need to chill the hell out. This is an OK port whose performance seems to align with the hardware's capabilities. Let's not act like this is a miracle from the gods or anything.

It's pretty simple, really. If you: (1) have no other gaming platform; (2) want DOOM on the go; (3) or simply want to support third parties on the Switch, then get the game. Otherwise, don't.

But holy cow at the amount of hyperbole and console warring going on here. We're better than that, y'all.

You're insane if you think it's a really crappy port.
It looks to be a decent to good port from impressions.

If Digital Foundry says it's a good port for what it is, I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt since they're the technical experts.

Nintendo fans talking about "technical marvel" need to chill the hell out. This is an OK port whose performance seems to align with the hardware's capabilities. Let's not act like this is a miracle from the gods or anything.

Digital Foundry: "Utterly insane, how did they do that?"

Your post seems contradictory.

Well that's just like your opinion man lol. The XB and PS versions are just crappy ports of the PC version too. I wonder how many XB/PS owners are going to be defending what looks like a crappy (but technically impressive I guess?) port of the PC version. And man, dual analog vs. kb/mouse! What crappy versions the XB/PS versions are! Seriously!

/s

Papacheeks

Banned
I applaud them in bringing Doom to switch and having it run stable for the most part in hand held mode.

But even with all the sacrifices they should have maybe reworked a new renderer, or something to achieve 60fps. Even if it's sub 720p in hand held or below.
Doom is meant to be played in 60fps. Its the way it was designed.

So if this is how ports are going to be, then my switch will be a exclusive First party ,Exclusive third party machine until indie prices come down.
I feel these have more in common with the Wii U third party ports than anything, but even they were actually good for the most part and didn't sacrifice frame rate.

COD black ops 2 wasn't 30fps.
I hope they will continue to try some things on the side with Doom, to maybe experiment with frame rate and different renders to maybe get the game to that fast paced gameplay.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Have you watched DF's retrospective on Doom ports? Most ports of Doom 1, especially the 3DO version, wish they could compare as favorably to its original PC release as Doom 4 Switch does v. Doom 2016 on PC. Granted, this isn't on the level of PS1 Doom or N64 Doom, but it's up there. Handily beats Doom on the Jaguar, 3DO, SNES or even 32X.

This is the whole pitch. Switch might as well be called the Nintendo TrainBoy. It is simply the best thing to ever happen to my commute.

I’d even build on that and say it’s the best thing to happen to my gaming life in the recent past, as a father and husband.

To be able to stow myself away in front of a tv by myself at this point in my life is becoing basically impossible.

The Switch allows complete flexibility for me to play whenever and however I want.

Yeah. The point of the Switch is to take Console like experiences on the go. If you don't want that then the Switch isn't really for you. You can still play it at home of course, but if you have a PC or whatever you'd be better off getting the game there.

I don't think that many people are buying the Switch because of portability. They just want a good Nintendo system for a change after being let down by Wii U and even the Wii since it didn't get the games that PS3/360 got. It looks like finally they might not be in a position where the hardware is a complete barrier to getting ports of recent games. However future support is completely dependent on the consumers now. If they pass on this type of stuff because of performance issues then it will be just like on old consoles where publishers pull support.

I'll take Richard Leadbetter's analysis of the game over your hot take.

Papacheeks

Banned
You're insane if you think it's a really crappy port.
It looks to be a decent to good port from impressions.

On a technical level standpoint yes, as in seeing Doom on a handheld is a technical feat. But not having the game run at 60fps regardless of resolution defeats the entire purpose of Playing Doom on a hand held.

Doom was designed to be fast and fluid, 30fps makes it more like a slog.

All I want to know is: if some of this analysis is based on the direct footage, how much of it is speculative and how much of it is not? There is a huge distinction between analysis and fact and I'll only form my opinion based on the facts.

Puggles

I don't think that many people are buying the Switch because of portability. They just want a good Nintendo system for a change after being let down by Wii U and even the Wii since it didn't get the games that PS3/360 got. It looks like finally they might not be in a position where the hardware is a complete barrier to getting ports of recent games. However future support is completely dependent on the consumers now. If they pass on this type of stuff because of performance issues then it will be just like on old consoles where publishers pull support.

Huh? I only bought it because it's portable. I have yet to hook it up to a TV.

Astral Dog

Too many people, sadly, still believe this.

Before Bethesda's announcement nobody would've thought this port would even be possible. And now we got people acting disappointed because it's not 60fps. I look at this shit and I'm amazed how close it looks like Doom.
Yeah its a very reasonable compromise for the hardware, its just that people believe the Switch its a portable ONE/PS4 when its barely on the same ballmark, like that "whats the excuse to porting AAA games?" Thread.

DOOM 2016 is a game made from the ground up for the current consoles at 60 fps the fact that it runs on Switch is impressive.

I think this and wolfenstein are still gonna sell good. I dont think any games on Switch sell bad particularly

I sure hope so! I'd love to see more third party studios like this jump onboard. I'll gladly take the concessions we've seen here to be able to just pick up and play games like DOOM whenever/wherever I want.

I don't think that many people are buying the Switch because of portability.

mXyupD1.gif

The 3DO doom port is one of the worst ports of all time, cobbled together in weeks by someone without access to the original code. And it was no where close to 30fps.

phanphare

Banned
30fps is disappointing to be sure but it seems like a really nice port from Bethesda all things considered

if they allow for gyro assisted aim I'll be there day 1

SuomiDude

Nice, the game is a pretty sure buy then. Good impressions, so it's not just a lazy cash in attempt. Will still wait for reviews though.

Other people acting like 30fps took on a human form and went on a rampage murdering all of the cute puppies in the world. 30fps is of course not desirable, but it's not the end of the world, either.

It's pretty simple, really. If you: (1) have no other gaming platform; (2) want DOOM on the go; (3) or simply want to support third parties on the Switch, then get the game. Otherwise, don't.

But holy cow at the amount of hyperbole and console warring going on here. We're better than that, y'all.

To be fair, even Richard said it was impressive.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They literally said, "how did they do that?" and "probably better than on a PC with equivalent specs." That's more than just an OK port, that sounds like a great port.

Yeah id/Bethesda should've released Destiny 2 instead. ��

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I have DOOM on PS4 and wanna double dip on PC soon for Ultrawide/100hz support and don't really have any interest in this myself, but it's certainly better than nothing. When I was a kid I mainly played PS2 and had no idea that the Xbox was more powerful- I think it's reasonable to think that people (especially younger players) who only have a Switch would take it over not being able to play at all and still enjoy themselves.

I agree, if Switch is your only way to play it, then by all means grab this version. Unless it comes out that there's some other significant issue with the port.

I'm really talking mainly about people who have the option to get it on Switch or another platform, and it would specifically be their first time playing. Based off of this, I would never recommend this port of DOOM 2016 to someone playing it for the first time if they could play it on PS4/Xbox One/PC instead. If they only have a Switch, then of course their only option is this port, and this port will probably be okay.

wanders

On a technical level standpoint yes, as in seeing Doom on a handheld is a technical feat. But not having the game run at 60fps regardless of resolution defeats the entire purpose of Playing Doom on a hand held.

Doom was designed to be fast and fluid, 30fps makes it more like a slog.

Doom is the first AAA current gen third party game on 6 inch portable system with only resolution and frame rate concessions. It's a game that was released on PS4 and X1 on a system where people expected last gen ports.

This is unexpected.

It is impressive on a technical level

It is setting a precedent for third parties.

Top Bottom