• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry analysis of DOOM for Nintendo Switch

they are both built with 30fps in mind unlike Doom.

Difference is clear as well on the PC version of Destiny.
The point is that people are making frame performance the be all and end all when it really isn't and never have been. I'd prefer Doom Switch at 60 like everyone else but I think it being a late port is going to pose a bigger risk to its sales than it not being 60 FPS, but with the way people are acting in this thread, it's as if framerate is the only thing that matters.

PantsuJo

Cool... Buy it on PC then? Unless someone is forcing you to get the Switch version.

I think he was talking about the wrong launch price for Doom Switch (in a trolling way? ... maybe)

As I said before, I don't know how many people will buy a full price Doom port this year, if you literally have a cheap PS4/One version everywhere.

But people who loves portability and Nintendo-only players will buy it even at full price, that's for sure.

thefro

Is it a locked 30 FPS? Wonder what the framerate range would be if that was unlocked?

I also haven't been super-impressed by Panic Button's port of Rocket League from the footage I've seen. I don't think "Hulk Hogan's Main Event" for Kinect is a technical showpiece, so I'm not sold on them being able to code to the metal. The fact that ID isn't doing this internally means we can't assume this is the max performance they could get out of Switch.

Personal criteria huh.

Time will tell and we'll see sales wise and if it's just my "personal criteria".

Yeh, claiming that 60FPS is unacceptable for Doom (2016) handheld is your personal criteria.

Validate whatever you want from sales, people with other platforms and an interest in the game will have bought it by now. It's beyond obvious that this version is for people without those options, or those looking to get it for the Switch's utility, not because they want the best version of the game.

Ms.Galaxy

Watch the video. There's a 60FPS option and a 30FPS option. You can definitely tell the difference (and I'd imagine the original video was recorded at 144hz on a PC)
https://youtu.be/BwAVoaZcN6Y?t=131

30FPS for this particular subgenre (arena shooter) is horrible. Can you imagine that kind of movement at that kind of frame rate? We did it back in the day with Quake and Doom. It wasn't ideal.

Yeah, watching that video at 30 fps literally hurt my eyes a bit, and I'm not someone who usually cares about frame rate. It's just too fast and twitchy, and anything less than 60 makes me feel a bit dizzy when trying to keep up with the action on screen.

I only hope it's 30 on handheld and they use the boost from dock mode to increase the frame rate to 60. At least with it being on a small handheld I won't feel as dizzy (I watched this on my phone too and it didn't make me feel as bad when it was 30fps) as I did watching that on my 50 inch TV. I'll gladly take 720p with dynamic resolutions for a 60fps frame rate.

Honestly, Rocket League didn't look too great on the Direct either, so I am expecting similiar performance and resolution as Doom on the Switch.

Did df get this analysis from the final retail build of the game? Or from a work in progress build? If the game isn't out for another 2 or 3 months they probably aren't finished with whatever optimization they're doing correct?

Wamb0wneD

They actually played the Switch verison at an event.

Yeah, they did both, but they apparently also played around 40 minutes of the port in handheld mode and are basing most of their talk on that.
But they couldn't show it and since DF operates mostly on video... They had to show something I guess and it is interesting to see how it might compare... Just not for someone who is really thirsty for a deep dive into the Switch version.

Well nvm then, we'll see.

Oh boy, we've come full circle.

Same users that always defend that 30 fps is fine when comparing PC versions to console versions are saying now that 30 fps is not fine when comparing console to portable console versions, without a hint of shame huh.

And to think we wouldn't have all this delicious drama if Digital Foundry didn't invent the footage? You doing God's work DF.

They became big on PS4/XboxOne drama after all. When those launched the spec war was on full display and everyone who wanted ammo went to DF.

OCD Guy

So DF says it had "some dips" and the performance is terrible?

Or are you implying that every game that runs at 30 FPS on a console doesn't work on that hardware? So, like, most PS4 and Xbone games? lul

No not implying that at all.

Uncharted 4 single player is playable and that's 30fps. Just Cause 3 is not though.

Of course I'd always prefer a higher frame rate (who wouldn't), but for me there are certain games that I just don't enjoy at low framerates, first person shooters, sports games, and racing games.

But I've enjoyed games that don't meet that "criteria", Motorstorm, and Killzone 2 for one.

Anyway at this stage it's all meaningless, as none of us have seen any direct footage yet, so it could look damn good on the switch screen, add to that it's not a finished version these people have seen, so by release it could be a stable 30fps with motion blur.

I've found in some cases that clever use of motion blur can make 30fps games feel a little better.

kAmui-

Meh, to some people that's not that big of a deal.

I got binding of isaac on PC on sale and I still bought it for £35 on the switch eshop.

Hell, I almost bought a physical copy of the game as well for another £32 two days later because I didn't realise that the game had a physical version when I bought digital, there's still a chance I might do just that when I get my next paycheck.

OT but... why would you do that?

Cerium

Honestly, Rocket League didn't look to great on the Direct either, so I am expecting similiar performance and resolution as Doom on the Switch.

Rocket League is 720p 60fps in portable mode.

They sacrificed a lot to get there but its strengths and weaknesses are completely different from DOOM.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did df get this analysis from the final retail build of the game? Or from a work in progress build? If the game isn't out for another 2 or 3 months they probably aren't finished with whatever optimization they're doing correct?

They based the framerate analysis on their hands-on with the undocked version of the game. Everything else is based on the trailer vs. a Switch-like PC.

deleted

Just to be clear, I think in no way that it's a bad port because of 30fps - it's just not what I want out of Doom. Even portable.

For what the Switch is and for what Doom 2016 is, there is most likely no other outcome to get it to run like that on a portable. But if they'd implement a 60fps option in there somehow, even at the expense of resolution or/and even more details, I would gladly take it.

Hopefully there are some interviews that go in depth with the developer and on motion controls which is the other big opportunity in this port for me. Splatoon 2, Doom and Wolfenstein 2 could do huge things to implement motion aiming as a standard option on consoles.

JoeInky

OT but... why would you do that?

physical >>>> digital and I don't think I'd be elligible for a refund for the digital version now because I've played it for longer than 14 hours or whatever the limit is on refunds for digital games.

Some ports can be just bad ports. It's not a critique towards Switch. Bad ports can be criticised and in the end they will just hurt Switch rather than help it, creating the false impression that there isn't a market on Switch for these kind of games.

Hopefully Skyrim will sell well enough to keep Bethesda on board even if DOOM fails. Who knows, maybe enough people won't care about the quality of the DOOM port and it will not fail in the end.

But according to the OP Digital Foundry states "it's a good port".

Then they shouldn't have bothered porting it in the first place.

Rocket League is 60fps tho.

Rocket League is 720p 60fps in portable mode.

They sacrificed a lot to get there but its strengths and weaknesses are completely different from DOOM.

IIRC, Rocket League was running at 60 fps at E3, though with the caveat that it was 720p in both handheld and docked modes.

Missed that, thanks. As I said, I think the game received a big downgrade graphics wise.

Tratorn

Yea expected, games for current gen won't feel good on the system. Way too many sacrifices even with linear games like this.
I'll stay with Nintendo (and exclusive 3rd party) games.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm getting all kinds of confused right now - so was their video based off the actual Switch game or did they do some kind of "custom PC to look like Switch" type test?

I'm getting so many mixed messages in this thread lol

I think the key thing is the game itself.

If Rocket League was 30fps on Switch it would result in the same reaction. I just don't think some games work at lower framerates. Doom is one of those games. It's so fast paced that it's going to feel pretty jarring playing that at 25-30fps.
Let's hear what Marty Stratton of ID has to say about whether 60fps is needed for DOOM:

Everyone downplaying 30fps is disagreeing with the people who designed the game.
Or you can be practical.

Much like Doom 2016, Rage was another game were high frame rate was marked it as an integral part of the experience. i played that game not at 30 but at 24 fps, while "feelback" wasn't as satisfying as a 60 fps output the gameplay wasn't sacrificed in any meaningful way due to the lower fps as that developer quote implies. As long as it's not in a competitive environment, locked 30 fps is more than enough for these single player campaigns.

Yeah, watching that video at 30 fps literally hurt my eyes a bit, and I'm not someone who usually cares about frame rate. It's just too fast and twitchy, and anything less than 60 makes me feel a bit dizzy when trying to keep up with the action on screen.

I only hope it's 30 on handheld and they use the boost from dock mode to increase the frame rate to 60. At least with it being on a small handheld I won't feel as dizzy (I watched this on my phone too and it didn't make me feel as bad when it was 30fps) as I did watching that on my 50 inch TV. I'll gladly take 720p with dynamic resolutions for a 60fps frame rate.
I think you would honestly collapse if you played a Switch. For your personal well-being, I don't think you should use one.

Oh boy, we've come full circle.

Same users that always defend that 30 fps is fine when comparing PC versions to console versions are saying now that 30 fps is not fine when comparing console to portable console versions, without a hint of shame huh.

And to think we wouldn't have all this delicious drama if Digital Foundry didn't invent the footage? You doing God's work DF.
You gonna quote posters abd show some proof or just continue to driveby system War shitpost?

Then they shouldn't have bothered porting it in the first place.

Why not? They want to make more money out of it and ported to another platform. If people want to play it on the go now they can, of course it's a downgrade compared to other platforms but I see no reason to avoid making the port.

jett

D-Member
30fps was a pretty obvious compromise. Doom is one of the BEST looking games around, it was never going to run at 60fps on the Switch brehs. About time some of you accept the obvious technological gap between the Switch and the other consoles.

I'm getting all kinds of confused right now - so was their video based off the actual Switch game or did they do some kind of "custom PC to look like Switch" type test?

They had to use Direct footage because they couldn't record at the event, yeah, they played it.

Seik

Banned
It must be painful for you to watch TV or movies, poor man.
We're living an age where people seem to feel litteraly sick when they watch 30fps.

Must have been hard for them back then being constantly sick.

Anyways, this went from a day 1 to 'Let's see how it'll perform.' If they manage to have an overall stable experience I'm still in. If I absolutely need 60fps I'll stick to my PS4/PC versions.

OCD Guy

They stated on their YouTube description that they actually played the game on the Switch.

But as the embargo appears to not allow direct footage at this stage, rather than just film a man talking about the game, they wanted some filler. Hence the trailer, and then building an equivalent spec pc to try and show people what Doom on Switch looks like.

LordKano

But it's not the same engine of Doom, am i right? Totally different.

Maybe that's way Rocket League can reach 60 fps on Switch.

Yeah it's using a modified version of Unreal Engine 3. It's actually less efficient than idTech so the performance is more impressive. They understood the importance of 60FPS and adjusted their version to reach it.

dealer-

Shame about 30fps but everything else looks fine for portable mode. I assume resolution and FPS will be bumped when docked.

PantsuJo

Yeah it's using a modified version of Unreal Engine 3. It's actually less efficient than idTech so the performance is more impressive. They understood the importance of 60FPS and adjusted their version to reach it.

Thanks for your answer.

It's Unreal Engine 3, which technically isn't supported by Switch so they had to do some technical workarounds to make it work.

Thank you for answer too.

Also: nice profile pic, my dude. Where I can find it in high resolution? lol

killatopak

Gold Member
The point is that people are making frame performance the be all and end all when it really isn't and never have been. I'd prefer Doom Switch at 60 like everyone else but I think it being a late port is going to pose a bigger risk to its sales than it not being 60 FPS, but with the way people are acting in this thread, it's as if framerate is the only thing that matters.

well this is a technical performance thread after all. 1fps drop would seem like a big deal here compared to most threads. I'm sure there are still people who would love to play Doom on Switch, just don't expect them to be here unless the port is perfect.

I wonder if MP is 60fps or 30fps as well?

Top Bottom