• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: Supply chain players gear up for new Nintendo console

Ok, since we're talking about specs, what are the specs of each handheld Nintendo released? Original + revisions. I mean, what's known (especially for the latest consoles). Just to see what's been the usual evolution from one platform to another so far.

DSi to 3DS has been 8 times more in term of ram. I guess its the same for CPU power. Although DS didnt had a GPU but an ARM core for that.

Although its really hard to compare.

atbigelow

Why unrealistic ? There's a reasonning behind it and goes in line with the "they're not going weak on purpose".

If they have a shared library, I imagine we will have similar architectures between the two hardware. 64 to 512 gflops is 8 times more power.

It should be compared to their handheld, not to Wii U or PS4ONE.

One of the things to note: their handhelds are usually somewhat comparable to their console two generations prior, but that gap has been narrowing considerably. Example:

Gameboy Advance: better than SNES (in most situations)
DS: better than N64 (in about 50/50 situations, at least more predictable)
3DS: sort of equivalent/better/worse than GameCube and even Wii. Has a more modern featureset but less grunt power.

I wouldn't expect Nintendo to try and match the NX handheld with the Wii's power. They mostly did that with the 3DS, so I'd say we should expect it somewhat lower than their current console hardware, Wii U.

As a side note: I found it hilarious when the 3DS came out and it had better color depth than the Wii games at the time.

One of the things to note: their handhelds are usually somewhat comparable to their console two generations prior, but that gap has been narrowing considerably. Example:

3DS: sort of equivalent/better/worse than GameCube and even Wii. Has a more modern featureset but less grunt power.

I wouldn't expect Nintendo to try and match the NX handheld with the Wii's power. They mostly did that with the 3DS, so I'd say we should expect it somewhat lower than their current console hardware, Wii U.

As a side note: I found it hilarious when the 3DS came out and it had better color depth than the Wii games at the time.

It's also fascinating to think that this was all the status quo from the split engineering teams. Now that they're combined, will be interested to see what they end up producing. Would love to have been a fly on the wall during those integration meetings. Deciding who gets which position, etc.. If the handheld team got priority based on their devices generally fairing better than the consoles, etc..

Oland XT is 384 ALUs and 90mm^2. It also draws alot of power, but let's pretend this doesn't matter (maybe it doesn't, if we are interpreting Shocking's source optimistically). Remember, Wii U's SoC was ~145mm^2 plus the small CPU and cost of MCM integration. Without the Gamepad, Wii U is probably a $250 machine (also, expensive eDRAM on there, so let's say even cheaper without that).

So we have a 90mm^2 GPU. I agree with blu that they will want to keep the 32 MB framebuffer on there. It will have to be eSRAM this time though. At the same manufacturing node as Xbone. I haven't looked up the space they could save from switching out Jaguar for the Cortex A57, but I think that 384 ALUs (or half an Xbone) is realistic if they want to safely undercut Microsoft's price by a decent margin. Subtract Blu-Ray licensing and HDD maybe and it sounds like a $199 box in 2016.

It's probably important that they don't skimp on CPU cores and RAM amount if they have any thought of maybe getting current-gen console ports. Downgraded graphical settings are one thing, but as we've seen on Wii U, drastically less RAM and CPU capability will make ports impossible.

You're putting the cart before the horse. This is basically saying that Nintendo uses their previous hardware as their performance limit and builds the new product around that, component costs and actual feasibility be damned. That's completely nonsensical and impractical for a company that's incredibly conservative.

We shouldn't be using previous hardware as a metric since they're not working with parts and components from back then, they're working with what's available right now.

morikaze

Banned
It's also fascinating to think that this was all the status quo from the split engineering teams. Now that they're combined, will be interested to see what they end up producing. Would love to have been a fly on the wall during those integration meetings. Deciding who gets which position, etc.. If the handheld team got priority based on their devices generally fairing better than the consoles, etc..

Iwata Asks: NX Development

One quote of many:

Expanding on this:

Iwata has spoken repeatedly about how he wants the handheld and console (and possibly other form factors) to share the same architecture / OS. Whether or not it'll be buy-once-play-anywhere hasn't been confirmed -- it's possible that Nintendo just wants to streamline porting from one platform to another -- but expectations are for a shared (or mostly shared) library.

There's difference between a console with a portable component and this whole family of device/formfactors certain pockets of gaf seem to be thinking.

There's difference between a console with a portable component and this whole family of device/formfactors certain pockets of gaf seem to be thinking.

Iwata has also spoken of the potential for introducing new form factors beyond the console/handheld dichotomy with the shared architecture.

Maybe it might be an idea to avoid wading into a thread and calling people ignorant if you aren't actually familiar with what has already been said about it?

You're right, there is a difference: Iwata has specifically talked about the "future Nintendo platform" being a "family of systems" with different "form factors."

Specifically, he says this:

In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples.

as the endpoint of his response to an investor asking him whether the new platform will be a handheld + console hybrid.

RE: NX being digital only (either handheld or console)....

I know Physical media is slowly dying, but I can't buy into the NX being digital only (even the handheld). Maybe I'm just wishful thinking as I love to own the physical media.

I'm not expecting a powerhouse console/handheld and will basically be happy as long as I still get Nintendo games that are fun. In fact, one of the only ways I can imagine I'd actually be disappointed in the NX is if either handheld or console didn't have the option of Physical media of some type.

Jessmo111

Banned
You're right, there is a difference: Iwata has specifically talked about the "future Nintendo platform" being a "family of systems" with different "form factors."

Specifically, he says this:

as the endpoint of his response to an investor asking him whether the new platform will be a handheld + console hybrid.

The problem regarding software is not just volume but variety. What good does it do to have all teams able to port games to all systems, but still make only plarformers?

Schnozberry

RE: NX being digital only (either handheld or console)....

I know Physical media is slowly dying, but I can't buy into the NX being digital only (even the handheld). Maybe I'm just wishful thinking as I love to own the physical media.

I'm not expecting a powerhouse console/handheld and will basically be happy as long as I still get Nintendo games that are fun. In fact, one of the only ways I can imagine I'd actually be disappointed in the NX is if either handheld or console didn't have the option of Physical media of some type.

I think Nintendo will obviously go physical for tent pole titles. I think from a publishing standpoint it will be on a case by case basis. Not every game needs a physical version, especially if they are relatively small download sizes or being sold at prices that don't make sense for retail. Nintendo is better off dedicating their retail space to Amiibo, NX accessories, hardware of course, and download cards.

Jessmo111

Banned
What do you speculate the media will be?
Can you make games around Wiiu level on a cart?
Disk would be to power consuming.

...edit assuming its a handheld.

Schnozberry

Oland XT is 384 ALUs and 90mm^2. It also draws alot of power, but let's pretend this doesn't matter (maybe it doesn't, if we are interpreting Shocking's source optimistically). Remember, Wii U's SoC was ~145mm^2 plus the small CPU and cost of MCM integration. Without the Gamepad, Wii U is probably a $250 machine (also, expensive eDRAM on there, so let's say even cheaper without that).

So we have a 90mm^2 GPU. I agree with blu that they will want to keep the 32 MB framebuffer on there. It will have to be eSRAM this time though. At the same manufacturing node as Xbone. I haven't looked up the space they could save from switching out Jaguar for the Cortex A57, but I think that 384 ALUs (or half an Xbone) is realistic if they want to safely undercut Microsoft's price by a decent margin. Subtract Blu-Ray licensing and HDD maybe and it sounds like a $199 box in 2016.

It's probably important that they don't skimp on CPU cores and RAM amount if they have any thought of maybe getting current-gen console ports. Downgraded graphical settings are one thing, but as we've seen on Wii U, drastically less RAM and CPU capability will make ports impossible.

With the shrink in process, I would think they could get 512ALUs. A lot of Oland XT is made up of circuitry that is PCI Express and various other logic that wouldn't be necessary for NX. That would mean ~700GFLOPS at 28nm drawing about 25w. If they go ARM and 8GB of DDR3 that would put the whole system at sub 50w or so. I would think Nintendo could live with that.

Rodin

What do you speculate the media will be?
Can you make games around Wiiu level on a cart?
Disk would be to power consuming.

...edit assuming its a handheld.
Yeah, it's possible. The problem with cartridges is cost, because discs are way cheaper, but storage space and speed are more than ok for that and more. On the handheld, we will most definitely have cartridges again, while it remains to be seen if they go that route with the home as well or if they'll stick with proprietary discs.

With the shrink in process, I would think they could get 512ALUs. A lot of Oland XT is made up of circuitry that is PCI Express and various other logic that wouldn't be necessary for NX. That would mean ~700GFLOPS at 28nm drawing about 25w. If they go ARM and 8GB of DDR3 that would put the whole system at sub 50w or so. I would think Nintendo could live with that.

That would be 819GFLOPs at 800MHZ (same as the PowerVR GT7900) and 1TFLOP at 1GHZ. I would personally be perfectly ok with these, and of course Vulkan API.

atbigelow

You're putting the cart before the horse. This is basically saying that Nintendo uses their previous hardware as their performance limit and builds the new product around that, component costs and actual feasibility be damned. That's completely nonsensical and impractical for a company that's incredibly conservative.

We shouldn't be using previous hardware as a metric since they're not working with parts and components from back then, they're working with what's available right now.

I didn't mean to imply that was their benchmark. It's just happened to line up that way and the gap was narrowing. Someone asked to take a look at their portable hardware evolution and it was a trend that was noticeable.

Jessmo111

Banned
So just to recap:
*NX shared os
* shared dev tools
* possible android play store access

NX portable:

*Likely slightly under wiiu power
* very likely cart based

NX console

* likely signicantly stronger than wiiu ( it has to differ from hh and be worth the cost)
* likely not a monster of a system but not embarrassing
* is powerful enough to emulate or hold wiiu architecture.

Both devices likely share innards

Both devices 2016 reveal 2017 launch.
Both devices backwards compatible.

Am I correct?

So just to recap:
*NX shared os
* shared dev tools

NX portable:

* very likely cart based

NX console

* likely signicantly stronger than wiiu ( it has to differ from hh and be worth the cost)

Am I correct?

In the DeNA partnership announcement Iwata is quoted in saying "Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand new concept under the development codename 'NX'." This is basically all we know. So it's possible, but not for certain. Will answer for real at some point in 2016.

Cartridges are actually an elegant solution to this problem; manufacturing costs aside.

I've been thinking about cartridges in teh context of a download only system lately.

What if you had a console with 32 gig of Flash memory on board, that was restricted solely to system-level data (Firmware, OS, User Accounts, Miis, etc) and all game data was stored on hard drives?

The hard drives would be swappable, in an easily accessible position on the console, and encased in a plastic housing with connections on one end.

When a hard drive filled up, you could buy new ones, thus never having to "clean out the fridge". You could take your hard drive to a retail location and purchase games through a kiosk, like Nintendo did with the iQue in non-traditional markets. Games could also be sold at retail on NFC cards, and those cards could even be packaged with retailer exclusive cartridge stickers.

They could even sell the concept as a parental control- keep your M-Rated games on a separate hard drive cartridge than the family friendly games.

So just to recap:
*NX shared os
* shared dev tools

NX portable:

* very likely cart based

NX console

Am I correct?

Yep. But i would still go with a summer release for the handheld and Winter for the console. Both 2016.

virtualS

I would love it if they dropped optical media and went ROM for everything. Honestly, at this point, optical media is outdated. Cartridges in 2016 could be a great differentiator.

jeffers

So just to recap:

Am I correct?

these arent quite on the mark.

it was more about getting android games to easily run on the platform either through emulation or native and just their own APIs.

Details are coming in 2016, people are guessing at least one device is going to be coming by end of 2016.

but yeah its nearly all speculation. just a few Iwata quotes to go on and some from AMD.

Alebrije

Just hope next year Nintendo does a E3 show to unveil its new console an not a cold ND.

Rom cardiges would be great !!!

Storage space.
Exactly. Just where has all this cartridge talk come from all of a sudden?

No thanks...no proprietary BS, please. Just stick to standards. Heck, just use normal blueray and maybe even allow movies to be viewable. Aren't Wii U discs limited to 25GB whereas standard bluray can got up to 50GB? I'm not saying do this to get the ports etc. but just be prepared to have the resource available if a third party wants to bring a game over that requires more space.

Schnozberry

That would be 819GFLOPs at 800MHZ (same as the PowerVR GT7900) and 1TFLOP at 1GHZ. I would personally be perfectly ok with these, and of course Vulkan API.

Yeah, I was thinking Nintendo would clock down to avoid having to dissipate the heat.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

No thanks...no proprietary BS, please. Just stick to standards. Heck, just use normal blueray and maybe even allow movies to be viewable. Aren't Wii U discs limited to 25GB whereas standard bluray can got up to 50GB? I'm not saying do this to get the ports etc. but just be prepared to have the resource available if a third party wants to bring a game over that requires more space.

Exactly, 25-50GB ROMS!

You know how expensive that would be? Come on people, think.
$300 NeoGeo games.
Not gonna happen.

MilesTeg

Banned
What if both handheld and console used carts. Nintendo plans to release the same software on both. Thus, one cart that you can play on either system.

The games will be branded "NX" (or whatever), and they will work on your handheld, console and NX tablet! This would probably benefit Nintendo in the self space department, as all their games would be together in one section so they don't need as much space. Maybe helps out with packaging costs as well, since now they only need one type of box instead of two. As well as the fact that now they are only producing carts, instead of the current situation of cart+disc. And, the cost to make discs is just gonna keep going up as the decline of physical movie sales continues, and even game sales will start to trend more towards digital right?

Not gonna happen obviously but I think it would be cool to have physical games that you can use on multiple hardware.

* is powerful enough to emulate or hold wiiu architecture

Never. To emulate a Wii U decently it must be a monster in hardware power. Even high end PCs would have problems with emulating a multiprocessor architecture.

Emulation would be easy if NX includes Wii U PowerPC as second processor (we can safely assume that the main processor will be an ARM), but that would make the hardware expensive.

I think Nintendo will obviously go physical for tent pole titles. I think from a publishing standpoint it will be on a case by case basis. Not every game needs a physical version, especially if they are relatively small download sizes or being sold at prices that don't make sense for retail. Nintendo is better off dedicating their retail space to Amiibo, NX accessories, hardware of course, and download cards.

Call me old fashioned, but I want physical releases for basically all my games. I understand indies not having physical, but even then the best sellers have been getting them in limited releases (Retro City Rampage Vita, Shovel Knight, etc...).

I'll take what I can get but as someone that still plays my retro games I enjoy the Physical media.

Edit: I understand the reasoning behind it, just personally not what I want. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I have to admit I wouldn't purchase as many games on that system.

The problem with optical is that it really doesn't work with portable devices, which is how this conversation started.

Schnozberry

Call me old fashioned, but I want physical releases for basically all my games. I understand indies not having physical, but even then the best sellers have been getting them in limited releases (Retro City Rampage Vita, Shovel Knight, etc...).

I'll take what I can get but as someone that still plays my retro games I enjoy the Physical media.

Edit: I understand the reasoning behind it, just personally not what I want. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I have to admit I wouldn't purchase as many games on that system.

I sympathize, I just think digital is the unstoppable future and Nintendo would be smart to phase physical media out over time.

Neoxon

Just hope next year Nintendo does a E3 show to unveil its new console an not a cold ND.

Rom cardiges would be great !!!
Eh, I'd actually prefer a Digital Event for the NX's reveal. That way there are absolutely zero screw-ups with the system's reveal. Plus when done right (see 2014's Nintendo Digital Event), it can beat an E3 press conference. And besides, Nintendo still has a stage presence via the Nintendo World Championship.

AniHawk

Eh, I'd actually prefer a Digital Event for the NX's reveal. That way there are absolutely zero screw-ups with the system's reveal. Plus when done right (see 2014's Nintendo Digital Event), it can beat an E3 press conference. And besides, Nintendo still has a stage presence via the Nintendo World Championship.

i feel like a stage reveal of the nx at the nwc next year is in the cards, so they can have their carefully controlled message and screaming.

i feel like a stage reveal of the nx at the nwc next year is in the cards, so they can have their carefully controlled message and screaming.

I think they will take a page out of Sony book and have a Feb or March reveal maybe take advantage of their Universal partnership and have it at the LA park.

I think the best launch would be Mario, Zelda, the resurrection of a dormant franchise (like Wave Race or F-Zero), and a new IP. If they want to go totally insane with the launch, throw in a Pokemon title.

It would also be of tremendous help to have a Garage game. If not Splat2n, then another cut from the same jib.

THAT, properly advertised, would be dynamite.

Neoxon

It would also be of tremendous help to have a Garage game. If not Splat2n, then another cut from the same jib.

THAT, properly advertised, would be dynamite.
I feel like Splatoon 2 won't be ready until Early 2017 unless they start the second they finish the August Update for the first game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The problem with optical is that it really doesn't work with portable devices, which is how this conversation started.

Carts for handheld, where you really need solid state storage and game sizes can be smaller if targeting a 5-6" 720p(ish) screen.

Those carts work as-is on the home console, with the games using he same handheld assets and scaling up to 1080p. But the home console can also go online and download a patch for the game which is basically the home console version - better quality textures, models etc. you need the cart in to play, but it'll use the high quality assets.

That's just if you want to buy physically. If you buy digitally you can just download the relevant version on both platforms with a shared account.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think they will take a page out of Sony book and have a Feb or March reveal maybe take advantage of their Universal partnership and have it at the LA park.

If they are launching in 2016 like we think/hope, then I agree they need an earlier reveal than E3 to allow hype to build and give them time so that E3 can be more about details and games. If we don't hear anything until E3, that would make me worried that we are looking at a 2017 release.

I'm thinking the handheld will definitely be stronger than the Vita, but beyond that I'm not entirely sure. It'll probably be pretty comparable to the 360 in terms of what it can do, or sit somewhere in between Vita and Wii U.

Maybe the first live gameplay demo, but I think they'll likely do a press event alongside a widely advertised Direct earlier in the year (around April maybe) to announce the hardware, then do their blowout at E3 and then release it later in the year.
I feel like Splatoon 2 won't be ready until Early 2017 unless they start the second they finish the August Update for the first game.

It's not like the entire team is working on the post launch support, the rest of the team has likely be put on another game and maybe it's a Splatoon sequel, who knows.

antonz

I think leaks could determine when we hear about it. If a massive leak were to happen this year they would likely make some kind of announcement.

We had a massive leak from French sources on the system itself and 10 days later Nintendo made its press release

I think leaks could determine when we hear about it. If a massive leak were to happen this year they would likely make some kind of announcement.

We had a massive leak from French sources on the system itself and 10 days later Nintendo made its press release
Hmm,which leak are you referring to? Don't recall that particular source.

Top Bottom