• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Direct2Drive accounts migrating to Gamefly

larvi

Just got an email saying my D2D account is going to get migrated to Gamefly sometime next month. I currently have an account on both and supposedly they will merge it into my existing GF account as long as the email addresses are the same. I just updated my email on my D2D account to match so hopefully it will. I see this as a good thing as it's one less account I need to manage and keep track of (I currently have GoG, Steam, Impulse, Gamersgate, DL Gamer, PSN, XBL, etc, etc).

Here's some info from the FAQ on their website:

What do you need to do now?
Right now, it's business as usual; you can continue to pre-order and buy games as you do today. We'll keep you informed and send you more details when everything is ready to go. In the meantime, your Direct2Drive account will work as it does now, and we will fully support new releases as usual.

At the beginning of next year, we'll migrate Direct2Drive services to GameFly. We'll take care of everything for you - transferring your account and purchase history to GameFly so you can pick up right where you left off (you'll just need to reset your password for security). If you already have a GameFly account, we'll combine the two.

There are a couple things you can do now to ensure a smooth transition:

1.Download your favorite game purchases from Direct2Drive. We plan to have as many game files as possible available on GameFly. Just to be sure, please download your old game files before the transition.

2.Download all of your non-game files (like Prima Guides). These will not be supported by GameFly after the transition.

Once transferred, you'll be able to access your account with one login across GameFly's entire suite of integrated services: The GameFly Client, Web site, and Mobile App.

What is GameFly and what do they do?
GameFly puts video games where they belong - in the hands of the gamers who love 'em. The GameFly Client, Web site, and Mobile App all make it easier than ever to buy, rent, and play the games you love - for less.

The GameFly Client was built just for GameFly's new PC & Mac gamers. The Client lets you pre-order, buy, and download PC & Mac games, read news, check out videos and screenshots, organize your game collections, and more. GameFly members can update their rental GameQ and play hundreds of downloadable titles for FREE with Unlimited PC Play. The GameFly Client has been installed and tested by tens of thousands of gamers in a closed beta over the last three months, and is now available to the public!

As a GameFly member, you can rent as many console and handheld games as you want and get them delivered right to your mailbox for one low monthly fee. If you like a game so much that you don't want to send it back, you can Keep it for a low used price. There are never any due dates or late fees. The GameFly Web site has over 8,000 new releases and classics available to rent for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3DS, DS, and PSP, as well as older systems. PC and Mac titles are also available to pre-order and purchase on the GameFly Web site.

Now you can take your games wherever you go with the free GameFly Mobile App for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. Get info on nearly 30,000 games for PC, consoles, handhelds, and mobile devices; read news; rent, keep, and buy games; and create your own profile page to connect with other gamers.

Try GameFly for free and check it out.

How will I buy and download games from GameFly?
You can use the GameFly Client, Web site, or Mobile App to find, pre-order, and purchase titles on all platforms. All three ways to use GameFly will be connected with one login for your convenience.

Once you've purchased a digital title, you'll use the GameFly Client to download and install your purchases. The GameFly Client is available to download and install for both PC and Mac.

Can I still buy all the PC & Mac titles I could before?
Like Direct2Drive, GameFly is committed to having all the biggest new releases as well as all the latest and greatest indie titles available. GameFly plans to have as many D2D titles as possible available in the Client and on the Web site when the migration occurs. Any D2D titles not immediately available should become available shortly thereafter.

What will happen to my Direct2Drive login? Will I have to create a new GameFly login?
If you have a Direct2Drive account but no GameFly account:
We will create a GameFly login for you using the same e-mail address you log in with on Direct2Drive. You'll need to reset your password for security reasons. Your login will allow you to view your purchase history, download games you've purchased on Direct2Drive, and buy games from GameFly. If you'd also like to get game rentals delivered to your door and see all the other benefits of GameFly membership, you can try GameFly for free.

If you have an account on both Direct2Drive and GameFly:
If your accounts on Direct2Drive and GameFly use the same e-mail address to log in, we will merge your accounts for you. All of your GameFly information, including your login, will remain unchanged. Your Direct2Drive purchase history will be viewable in your GameFly account. If you wish to use your Direct2Drive payment information to purchase games instead of the payment info in your GameFly Account, you'll need to re-enter your D2D information.

If you currently use a different e-mail address on Direct2Drive than you use on GameFly, we will not be able to merge your accounts. If this is the case - and you'd like your accounts merged - please change your Direct2Drive e-mail address now to match your GameFly e-mail address.

What will happen to my games that I purchased on Direct2Drive?
Once the transition occurs, your Direct2Drive purchases will be available on the GameFly Web site and in the GameFly Client. Some older titles may not be available immediately after the transition, and will be added later. Also, GameFly will not support game guides and other non-game files. To be safe, please download your purchases and non-game files from Direct2Drive by the first week of January.

Will my IGN login stop working when my Direct2Drive login is moved?
Your login for the IGN Network will remain the same. Only your Direct2Drive account and services are being merged with GameFly.

Will you be moving my payment information over to GameFly?
If you have a Direct2Drive account but no GameFly account:
If you've purchased games on Direct2Drive, we'll be moving your payment and account information over to GameFly. Please note, GameFly will not accept PayPal or ClickandBuy initially as payment methods. We do plan on supporting these payment methods in the future.

If you have an account on both Direct2Drive and GameFly with matching e-mail addresses:
We will not move your payment information over from Direct2Drive. If you wish to use your Direct2Drive payment information to purchase games instead of the payment info in your GameFly Account, you'll need to re-enter your D2D information.

larvi

Got the email also. Why the hell do they need to change good things ?

It remains to be seen but I see this a being a good thing. I've been very pleased with Gamefly in terms of support and pricing and have had some bad experiences with IGN.

Cartman86

Banned
Alright got my old direct2drive account with games on it from Hitpoints ready to finally be my "main" account since my new one doesn't have anything on it anyways. Being a part of IGN messed all this up for me a while back. Hopefully this will fix it.

As far as I can remember, the only thing I ever bought off D2D was Trine, which I have since also bought on Steam because it was cheap I'm one of those people. I had to resist $24.99 Arkham City on Steam today even though I already have it on PC, just not on Steam. The $35 pre-order price on Green Man Gaming looked a lot better before the PC version was delayed until late November.

Top Bottom