• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 adds a 20% gpu boost to the PC version of Fable

Nictel

All joking aside, would a 20% performance be enough to boost 900p to 1080p or 720p to 900/1080p? Or perhaps stabilize framerates that dipped below 30 to stay at 30?

Well I assume it will be able to reach 1080p in the future regardless of dx12. But dx12 might help developers make it easier to get a stable framerate.

Yeah. Thread title kinda should be changed. People are thinking the GPU is literally getting more powerful.
This is far more entertaining though, I wonder what the patch size will be for that billion extra transistors?

Nameless

I think you just Poe's law'ed me.

Wut. That's a bit drastic. Selling your PS4 because Capcom didn't put enough care into the PS4 port is one silly thing. Considering selling your PS4 because it took longer than usual to announce this month's free games is even more silly.

iPJ6Eauyfxy5t.gif

Of course I didn't...that would be ridiculous

sinnergy

The problem with the Xbox One hitting 1080p is more a product of a 1080p framebuffer not fitting into 32MB of ESRAM than anything else.

Actually you can fit a 1080p framebufer into 32 MB, it takes some math and time, a programmer on Beyond3D, made it fit.

amar212

All joking aside, would a 20% performance be enough to boost 900p to 1080p or 720p to 900/1080p? Or perhaps stabilize framerates that dipped below 30 to stay at 30?

No, no and no.

It is not a performance upgrade as "it will be a 20% more powerful system", it is "up to 20%.increase in SDK performance compared to original regarding GPU usage"

At least I understand it like that

Thread title should be changed, this is too Clikholable

Chris1

I don't think a 20% GPU boost equaling a 20% resolution boost is as black as white as it seems... Didn't Destiny get boosted from 900p to 1080p with the 10% boost from kinect last year?

So this is like Nvidia and AMD announcing more than 50% improvements on certain games when they release new drivers but really doesn't change much?

Yup. Small framerate increases mostly.

Nothing is majorly 'Broken" with directx 11, this is just an improvement on what is already in use.

Plus games can't simply switch and expect instant benefits. To really see significant improvements they should be built for DX12 from the start. Modern games are just so complex that saying performance is increased by 20% across the board means nothing.

A game like screamride or probably Crackdown 3 that relies on a lot of CPU for physics might see more improvement than a game like The Division that uses a lot of effects and GPU resources to render extra shaders and lighting.

It won't matter, hardware is hardware. Software might improve the performance but I doubt Sony is letting their GPU not get better performance every update.

No biggie.

WHAT!??. so let me get this straight, you think 20% increase of screen pixels will actually require a 20% boost in GPU power and are trying to related each other thinking its an exact science???. Thats laughable

No. Not in the slightest.

I just wanted to point out that even if the "20% more efficient" line worked like they thought it would, it still wouldn't get it to 1080p.

lol this thread...this is just software optimization which will continue to happen on PS4 too as well...Nothing can diminish the hardware gap. The hardware power gap has not changed and will never change.

But whatever makes ppl giddy up in their camp.

Clockwork

All DX12 is doing is allowing the Xbox One (and PC) to reach it's theoretical maximum, in this case being 1.31 TFlops.

I was just about to post this. You can't change the fact that one part is 1.31 teraflops and one is 1.84 teraflops by introducing an API update.

Overall throwing numbers out like this means nothing, as typically comparisons are made based on theroretical max anyway and we don't really know how efficient GNM/GNMX is on the PS4 side.

Summary:

Microsoft doesn't count the sales in the Windows 8 store as a success

Cross platform gaming is going to include cross-buy as well. Buy from one device, download and play on another device

Developers will submit their apps and games into one store. This store includes Xbox One as well

Pinball FX2 is coming to Windows 10 (free if already bought on Xbox One)

Xbox Live SDK Preview is going live today

DirectX 12 adds a 20% GPU boost to the Xbox One

A Universal Development center will allow devs to develop games from one application

Xbox will bring games to Hololens

HoloLens APK should be available around the time of BUILD

Implementing crossplay is "super simple and easy"

ID@Xbox is now helping devs for Windows 10, including Phones

Porting Shovel Knight to Xbox One and implementing cross play only took 1 day for the devs of the Yacht Club

Game 4 from Behemoth is coming to Windows 10, as well as Swordy, This War of Mine, Wasteland 2, Cuphead, Shovel Knight

Battletoads are coming to Shovel Knight

A wireless adapter for Xbox One controllers to work with Windows 10 will be coming out later this year

Gigantic from Motiga is a shooter, moba, rpg mash up coming later this year to Windows 10 and Xbox One

Phil Spencer is teasing that most first party games will be available for both platforms

That is what I am saying. In all seriousness, any improvement will be welcome and is not a bad thing.
This is neogaf though. Somehow a console becoming more efficient through a new API is met with ridicule. People don't even realize they are being a silly caricature by reacting to good news from one console by pulling out the knives and tapping into their inner console warrior.

Anyway, I think the most interesting thing in all this is how seemingly easy it is to port games from Windows 10 to Xbox and vice versa.

alouette

I don't get the talkings with "the more powerful console" (aka Xbox One vs. PS4). Consoles this gen aren't that powerful as some people are thinking about it. They're powerful because of it's "closed system", but not because of the fastest CPU or GPU. If somebody wants a really high end gaming performance, PC is still the way to go. If you're a couch gamer, buy a console and let MS/Sony do the work for you (drivers/optimization etc.).

I think, this is the real benefit of consoles these days.

Having a console implemented in a widespread network like MS is building up seems to be a nice way yo go.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
In all seriousness, shouldn't this update rather than raise the ceiling, bring the floor closer to the ceiling? Meaning less dips, but not necessarily higher potential graphics, just a lesser chance of butt graphics? Because of higher efficiency I mean? It's not like they OC'd the hardware

wildfire

Banned

You are mistaking what's going to happen. MS isn't saying the GPU will be 20% stronger. They are saying DirectX will make it 20% more efficient. The overall gains in terms of frame rate, resolution or aliasing options won't be as dramatic.

It's just more exciting to say the gpu is 20% better and vaguely leave it at that.

I want Cloud 2 now, time for some new believe.

By the way, with esram, Cloud 1 and Directx12 combined i assume now Xbox One can launch missiles.

Sarobi

Banned
lol this thread...this is just software optimization which will continue to happen on PS4 too as well...Nothing can diminish the hardware gap. The hardware power gap has not changed and will never change.

But whatever makes ppl giddy up in their camp.

Lies. We all know the PS4 is incapable of being optimized!

I think that 'most first party games coming to both platforms" thing is pretty huge.

Also kind of makes me regret buying the Xbox One at all. I'd happily just play their exclusives on PC.

chadskin

Their PR release:

DirectX 12: DirectX 12 enables PC developers to have a new level of power and control and is a single API developers can access across Windows devices. As shown with Fable Legends running on Unreal Engine 4, there has been a 20% improvement in performance. And as announced today, Epic is creating Unreal Tournament using Unreal Engine 4 running on DirectX 12, which sets a new bar for visual fidelity in PC gaming.
http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/xbox-gdc-2015?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Inercia

Neo Member
It's kinda sad when you see Phil Spencer saying this, because he knows it will feed certain individuals and certain propaganda.

Nobody doubts One SDK will improve performance a lot, but this message "20% boost GPU" is just bullshit.

Top Bottom