• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories - trailer & Western release date (PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC)

From a technical perspective, the Switch port of Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories is an absolute mess. Narratively and artistically, however, it’s one of the most fascinating games in recent memory. Its emotionally engaging exploration of a disastrous incident’s human aftermath is about as far as it’s possible to get from the Hollywood blockbuster treatment – and it’s all the better for it. If you can fight past the technical shortcomings – which, it's worth stating, are pretty considerable – then you'll find an experience that's totally unique on Switch, and that's no mean feat when you consider the depth of the console's library.

6/10

Still very interested in this game.

It's certainly a unique game, was a good bit of fun. Feel sorry for my buddy having to review it on Switch whilst I got the PS4 version to do, seems like a mess performance wise on the Ninty machine. PS4 was solid though with an added VR mode.

mcz117chief

I tried the demo but i got stuck and didn't knew how to progress. :unsure:
Yeah, because the game is one big puzzle. You need to run around until you trigger a cutscene in front of one person, which will spawn a person somewhere else that wasn't there that you now have to run in front to trigger and so on and so forth until you trigger the last person which will unlock an exit from a block so you can move on to the next block and do it all over again. It is very different from the game I expected. You don't even need to talk to people, just run in front of everyone until you trigger a cutscene, the radius is about 2-3 meters, and look for people who weren't there before the last cutscene. The demo ends when you are about to move to the next city block.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Yeah, because the game is one big puzzle. You need to run around until you trigger a cutscene in front of one person, which will spawn a person somewhere else that wasn't there that you now have to run in front to trigger and so on and so forth until you trigger the last person which will unlock an exit from a block so you can move on to the next block and do it all over again. It is very different from the game I expected. You don't even need to talk to people, just run in front of everyone until you trigger a cutscene, the radius is about 2-3 meters, and look for people who weren't there before the last cutscene. The demo ends when you are about to move to the next city block.
Thanks i'll give it another chance.

mcz117chief

Thanks i'll give it another chance.
I think the only person you need to interact with, that doesn't trigger a cutscene is a lady in the clothes shop on the second floor sitting in a sofa, she has a key to the back room that you need to get from her. Not sure if you need to go there to finish the demo, but it is there.

sublimit

Banned
I think the only person you need to interact with, that doesn't trigger a cutscene is a lady in the clothes shop on the second floor sitting in a sofa, she has a key to the back room that you need to get from her. Not sure if you need to go there to finish the demo, but it is there.
I remember i found some teacher who was searching for her students and i offered to search for them but i couldn't find not even a single one! :messenger_grinning_smiling: I actually thought that was why i couldn't progress the demo.

mcz117chief

I remember i found some teacher who was searching for her students and i offered to search for them but i couldn't find not even a single one! :messenger_grinning_smiling: I actually thought that was why i couldn't progress the demo.
That is the final part. They spawn once you talk to her. There are two in the clothes shop, on the 1st floor (not the ground floor). Once you trigger them you need to trigger the teacher and then the 3rd will spawn. She will be next to the exit out of the block, where the sign fell that prevents you to progress.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like I'm arriving late to this series and its only to be let down by impressions left by other users. I was always interested in this series, but never wanted to spend money to give it a try. Definitely don't see the point in getting this if everyone here isn't impressed by it.

Vlaphor

I've put about 3 hours into it on Steam and I'm liking it so far, though less than DR 1 and 2. Those had quirkier characters and more set pieces, whereas DR4 has fewer set pieces (it's mostly walking around and talking) and fewer characters overall, though some of the quirk is still there. It is a DR game through and through , but a slightly undercooked one. You have meters for food/thirst/bathroom need, but seemingly no punishment for disregarding them. There's a crafting system that supposedly only used twice in the game. Also, it runs bad on everything. I've heard horror stories about the Switch version and on my PC (Ryzen 3900X/1080ti) 4k can go down to sub 20 fps. I'm running it on 1440 now and it's running pretty smooth.

This all being said, I'm having a great time with this game and I can't wait to hop into it again this evening.

Vlaphor

I feel like I'm arriving late to this series and its only to be let down by impressions left by other users. I was always interested in this series, but never wanted to spend money to give it a try. Definitely don't see the point in getting this if everyone here isn't impressed by it.

Raw Danger is the best game in the series and emulates well on PC. I'd recommend that above this for your first try.

xrnzaaas

I just tried the demo and, damn, it's rough - the controls, how the character reacts to the environment, even the framerate on my base PS4 looks like it's around 20fps. Plus the reviews I've read state that the choices aren't meaningful and there are no real rewards/penalties for being good/terrible to other people. I'll be waiting until it's in a massive sale.

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

Been playing this and I'm pretty disappointed. All the cutscenes to just talk to people is annoying as hell. Not only that but there arent any really cool moments like RAW Danger or Disaster Report. Like running from a flood or trying to figure a way out before you die from something. This game is just stale IMO.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom