• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Review Thread Dood

The End

Haven't played disgaea since the first one, really

(I bought... 3 on clearance for PS3, played through the tutorial and sold it)

Going to at least check out the demo for this one

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I like to know how the story stacks up. Apart from that? Nope. I still think Disgaea 2 was the best, though.

The Felony system was probably one of the dumber things in a Disgaea game, otherwise, I really enjoyed it, especially for differentiating itself from the first.

Felonies were.....not good.

They still tie 3/4 in terms of 'what were NIS thinking' in regards to level 9 skill multipliers, though.

Dio

Banned
As I'm a newcomer interested in the franchise:

Should I go with this or buy Disgaea 3 or 4 for the Vita?

Do you like playing SRPGs on the go or at home?

D4 Vita is fantastic, but it won't have some of the nice improvements in mechanics you'll get in 5. On the other hand, Disgaea is well suited for handhelds, although D5 will be impossible to get running on a Vita so don't expect it to appear on one.

cj_iwakura

The Felony system was probably one of the dumber things in a Disgaea game, otherwise, I really enjoyed it, especially for differentiating itself from the first.

Felonies were.....not good.

They still tie 3/4 in terms of 'what were NIS thinking' in regards to level 9 skill multipliers, though.

Eh, I didn't mind them that much at all. It's mostly that it still has panels instead of blocks, and it has my favorite story so far. Adell's the hero we deserve.

deoee

Do you like playing SRPGs on the go or at home?

D4 Vita is fantastic, but it won't have some of the nice improvements in mechanics you'll get in 5. On the other hand, Disgaea is well suited for handhelds, although D5 will be impossible to get running on a Vita so don't expect it to appear on one.

The thing is: the VIta ones just got a price drop to 20€ each so that's why I'm considering those over 5 :D

I like SRPGs (Fire Emblem for examble is great) but I often become frustrated when I loose a char in a missions and have to start over x million times :D

desmax

The thing is: the VIta ones just got a price drop to 20€ each so that's why I'm considering those over 5 :D

I like SRPGs (Fire Emblem for examble is great) but I often become frustrated when I loose a char in a missions and have to start over x million times :D

No Perma-Death in Disgaea

Cleve

Man these reviews are hitting early. Or I'm just getting used to stuff being embargoed until the last minute.

Kouriozan

Playing D4 Vita after DD2 feels weird, they improved so much the features and reduce the grind.
And D5 will add/improve them further.

Looks like NIS went all out with D5 adding tons of stuffs, can't wait to get it, hope the season pass won't be expensive, I need the Kunoichi class :p

OmegaDL50

Eh, I didn't mind them that much at all. It's mostly that it still has panels instead of blocks, and it has my favorite story so far. Adell's the hero we deserve.

Killia is the closest to Adell compared to all the previous heroes in the series at least. Well outside of Killia basically having an indifferent attitude. He's the first Hero that uses Fists since Adell, as Laharl, Mao, and Valvatorez were generally Sword users.

Seeing Killia and Adell interact with each other in the DLC episode for Disgaea 2 should be interesting.

Playing D4 Vita after DD2 feels weird, they improved so much the features and reduce the grind.

Looks like NIS went all out with D5 adding tons of stuffs, can't wait to get it, hope the season pass won't be expensive, I need the Kunoichi class :p

Disgaea 5's Season Pass in Japan was 4000 Yen, which is about $35 US.

If the content is identical to the Japanese Season pass for the EU / US version, I'd say it will be of equivalent pricing.

Here is the EU DLC schedule - http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/08/06/new-disgaea-5-features-detailed-dlc-schedule-confirmed/

I would hope the US Season Pass follows a similar structure, but NISA has been unusually quiet about the US DLC schedule or pricing.

Hopefully they say something soon as we are roughly 2 weeks away from release.

ryushe

I want to play this, but I'm going to wait for the inevitable Vita release. This series just feels right on handheld and I can't fathom why they even release these games on consoles anymore.

Dio

Banned
I want to play this, but I'm going to wait for the inevitable Vita release.

Not gonna happen.

D4 Vita's more intensive maps chugged on Vita, and D5 drastically increases the amount of stuff under the hood and on screen. They said straight up they made it PS4 only because they couldn't do this much stuff on a PS3 or Vita.

roknin

I've still got quite a wait before I can get my hands on this, but I am definitely looking forward to it.

I find it odd that that is a complaint by reviewers.
I personally was more afraid there would be less comic relief. I prefer the comedic aspects of Disgaea by far.

Yeah same. Personally I'm glad to hear it keeps to that.

I don't really walk into a Batman movie hoping for comedy... Why would a series that practically lives off parody and over-the-top humor be expected to change?

Ah well, either way, reviewing about as expected. :p

desmax

If it like jpn dlc, it should be free for ps+ users

Edit: generic class dlc, I mean

Dio

Banned
Also, how's everyone's demo team going?

HzMZijh.jpg

I've been running Lady Samurai named Meiya and pink-haired Archer named Tama since Disgaea 2.

FiraB

Banned
Will get when I'm not broke as hell.

Love me a bit of Disgaea, great game to play in bed on vita when you don't want to get up.

Dio

Banned
Another question then, worth getting the Disgaea 3 vita version first? Haven't played D3 at all.

If you're really aching to play the story of that game, it's literally the only reason to give it a shot. D4 is better in every way, mechanically and graphically, and all the games save for DD2 are self-contained.

desmax

I see, that's alright for me as I'll get more than 100 hours out of this game.
And thankfully no more "get all items" trophy so I might get the Platinum trophy for the first time in a Disgaea game, yay x)

Yeah, my trophy list is definitely lacking a Disgaea platinum.
I'll try to get it too.

I got the platinum for 3. Wasn't too hard.

I'll have to wait on this one. NIS didn't have the game available when I submitted my pre-orders and I'm not paying $75+tax.

Another question then, worth getting the Disgaea 3 vita version first? Haven't played D3 at all.

I'd wait for it to go on sale at a fairly deep discount. D4 should more than scratch the itch on portable if portable Disgaea is what you want. They're all available digitally so there's no rush to buy everything now.

Ponn

Banned
I really want to get it but I know I won't be able to get around to it right away because of Transformers Devastation, then Corpse Party and then Fallout 4. I feel like i'd be better just waiting for a sale somewhere. I think I can make do for now with the demo.

Not gonna happen.

D4 Vita's more intensive maps chugged on Vita, and D5 drastically increases the amount of stuff under the hood and on screen. They said straight up they made it PS4 only because they couldn't do this much stuff on a PS3 or Vita.
I think we sooner see DD2 on PS4 than D5 on Vita.

OmegaDL50

I think we sooner see DD2 on PS4 than D5 on Vita.

If DD2 followed the usual port schedule it should be out early next year in Japan, so I would have expected an announcement by now if it was coming. It's still possible, so that is something to look forward to at least.

Rival

Gold Member
This game looks very interesting. Is this a game you can jump in an enjoy if you've never played a game in the series before?

Dio

Banned
This game looks very interesting. Is this a game you can jump in an enjoy if you've never played a game in the series before?

Yep. It may be a little overwhelming to take in for the first time, but they try to introduce you to mechanics in a very user-friendly way, more so in this one than any previous titles.

I like to know how the story stacks up. Apart from that? Nope. I still think Disgaea 2 was the best, though.

This guy knows what's up.

From a gameplay perspective, I'd probably say 4 was the best as it had the best systems and yadda yadda.

But from a character and plot perspective, 2 roped me in fully. Rarely is it in a Disgaea do I not optional grind and blast through the main story to get to the post-game but I straight up played story map after story map in 2 to reach the conclusion. I found the story excellent. And I really liked Adell and Rozalyn a whole fucking bunch and their story was super great. Also loved the twist, didn't see it coming and my jaw dropped when it happened.

Probably get this like always.

Zetta

I can't wait to play this, just wished they had added the Edf Soldier. I loved it as a Gunner and going to town while hearing the Galaxy Wars theme.

desmax

If DD2 followed the usual port schedule it should be out early next year in Japan, so I would have expected an announcement by now if it was coming. It's still possible, so that is something to look forward to at least.

Makes me wonder why Nisa is taking so long to announce their early 2016 titles. Tyee should've announced it at anime expo.
I guess they're waiting until D5 is out to announce their Steam announces, with maybe DD2.

Yes, you can jump in the base.
Sure, no need to play the previous games

OmegaDL50

Yeah, should be totally fine. There is no plot connections from each game outside of cameo appearances that don't reference the story of the game they come from.

Also it's usually jarring to start with a newer game and go back to an old one due to the many revisions of the mechanics done from each game.

Monster Units for example were pretty bad in the older games, they have only gotten improvements for each game. Also throwing restrictions to a single line in the older games as well.

If you want to try an older game try Disgaea 1 PSP via PSN that is playable on the Vita or PSTV, if you like it then you can decide if the series is for you and pick up Disgaea 5.

The learning curve of modern disgaea games depends on one thing: Did you pay attention during the tutorials involving geo panels, throw/catch, chain bonuses, team attacks, magichange and fusion? If you didn't, you're going to run into a brick wall and find yourself g r i n d i n g. Of course, that may be what draws you to a game like Disgaea in the first place.

Top Bottom