• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Review Thread Dood

cj_iwakura

I was gonna by the Raspberyl one since it was actually good content but I got a new game at the time so i never got around to buying it, i own D3 for the vita tho and that has all the dlcs so theres that. Hero Prinny is the only dlc i ever got, mainly cause my bro wanted him since he was able to come back nonstop
I mean Prinny's DLC levels. The horror...

RoyalFool

Banned
Is there no digital pre-order for this in Europe? The demo came out but not alongside the pre-order like it did in the US/Asia, and we also got the pre-order theme for free.

Is there no digital pre-order for this in Europe? The demo came out but not alongside the pre-order like it did in the US/Asia, and we also got the pre-order theme for free.
Digital pre-orders are handled very differently by SCEE and they have only a limited number of "slots" for them.

Most games simply don't get one

Never actually played one of these, but it's a Tactical RPG series isn't it? Totally up my alley if it is, can't believe I never got at it before. Is this one a sequel, or is independent from the others storywise?

OmegaDL50

Never actually played one of these, but it's a Tactical RPG series isn't it? Totally up my alley if it is, can't believe I never got at it before. Is this one a sequel, or is independent from the others storywise?

Each of the mainline numeric Disgaea titles have a self contained story. However there are cameos from previous games in the series. However none of these cameos ever reference the plot or story in the game they come from, so they are included as a bonus.

You can start with Disgaea 5 and can easily catch up with the general premise this series is all about.

Basic plot line is there is bunch of Netherworlds all throughout the Netherverse. A bunch of different worlds that have a single ruler in charge called the Overlord.

However it's mainly very light hearted and comical.

Most of the games have three shared worlds. The Human World (usually some version of Earth), Celestia (Where Angels live), and The Netherworld which is basically Makai or the Demon World where chaos rules and opposites of laws exist.

Using Disgaea 3 for example which takes place in a Netherworld School setting, the main character is an honor student who cuts class, never does his homework, and generally does the complete opposite of what a REAL honor student does. In this sense the Netherworld is basically where opposites make sense and wrong is right and so forth.

Unlike serious Strategy RPGs that use mechanics such as permanent character death or complex and mature story writing. Disgaea is more about being ridiculously over the top.

Character levels max out at 9999, and Attack and HP values can go into the millions. The only thing Disgaea takes seriously is how ridiculous can they make the current game more crazy than the last.

Download the demo on PS4, give it a try. If you like it, Your save transfers to the full game. If you don't like it, that's fine and I tried my best give you a fair description on what it's all about.

If you have any questions on the Disgaea series, I will do my best to answer any of them.

slash3584

Well fuck :(

Amazon.es just sent me an email about the delay.

Release date: October 23 2015

Looks like this will be a NA Digital release for me xD

Well fuck :(

Amazon.es just sent me an email about the delay.

Release date: October 23 2015

Looks like this will be a NA Digital release for me xD

It's like NIS/NISA is doing their best to release this game in the worst possible way in all regions except NA

so dumb. I bet the production of the EU launch edition is causing the issues

Kinda wish I went for the NA version now but I have a cheap pre-order for the EU one :/

OmegaDL50

It's like NIS/NISA is doing their best to release this game in the worst possible way in all regions except NA

so dumb. I bet the production of the EU launch edition is causing the issues

Kinda wish I went for the NA version now but I have a cheap pre-order for the EU one :/

Everything is screwed up I think.

This sudden unexplained delay and being completely silent on the US DLC schedule. It's just weirdness all around.

I hope they they say something soon in an official announcement.

Everything is screwed up I think.

This sudden unexplained delay and being completely silent on the US DLC schedule. It's just weirdness all around.

I hope they they say something soon in an official announcement.

It's especially weird since review copies have been given out like a month ago

Just give us the damn game already :(

Bousf

I have decided to get DQH and ToZ in the holidays and give D5 my October. I got the platinum trophy for D4 Vita in July and the slowdowns in the Campain HQ and X0 Item World floors were bothersome, I want a clean, seamless Disgaea experience and I feel like D5 will give me that :D

KiTA

Can anyone summarize in one sentence what this game is about ? It always reminded me of FF tacitcs.

Disgaea is a glowing love letter to the SRPG, which takes the form of taking all the tropes of SRPGs, dropping the political storylines that infested them, adding fun and humor, and pushing it beyond whatever limit you think the genre had.

Memory

Disgaea is a glowing love letter to the SRPG, which takes the form of taking all the tropes of SRPGs, dropping the political storylines that infested them, adding fun and humor, and pushing it beyond whatever limit you think the genre had.

Great answer.

Chated with NISA Europe and the game has been delayed until October 16 in Europe, they told me they have sent an email with the info but I didn't get anything so far.

Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Zestria, Dungeon Travelers 2, Shovel Knight retail and now Disgaea 5 all on 16.10 in europe ...
Why are these publishers so insane?

ChrisDM

That's my problem too. I simply cannot buy all the games that are coming out at the moment, I don't have the time or the money. I think I'll have to put off D5 for a while.

The weird thing for me is that it isn't just a financial issue, but it's DEFINITELY a time issue. Thanks grad school. I know if I bought them all, all but one would sit in my library. = / It's gonna be a tough call!

It seems like DW style games eventually have pretty good sales (freqeunt too) for the discs and digital. I'm just guessing here but I could see Dragon Quest going on sale faster than this.

That is true enough. I could honestly see Disgaea even be part of a flash sale at some point. Sony has been pretty cool with that as of recently.

Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Zestria, Dungeon Travelers 2, Shovel Knight retail and now Disgaea 5 all on 16.10 in europe ...
Why are these publishers so insane?

It's going to be the best and the worst day.

I'll probably be paralyzed by indecisiveness and play nothing in the end :p

official

PFqeRBT.png

EDIT: We're getting free stuff as a "sorry" though

Also, the 2 DLC packs featuring Bunny Seraphina and the Weapon Starter Set, which will be free only in Europe, will also become available from 16th October on PSN, and will be available for one full month. Your patience is greatly appreciated, and we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

zashga

Yeah, that's kind of how I'd expect a disgaea game to review. It's the kind of series where most people who buy it know exactly what they're getting.

I am a little surprised this is coming up so soon. I had it in my head that this game was out more like at the end of October.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I need to check how much all the DLC is total space wise. Since am seriously running out of space on my PS4 more like am out space and like a fucking idiot I didnt go and do a HD upgrade on the 2nd system before filling the system up with data...

I really should have gone with the season pass as the DLC in general looks fairly good.

Will be interesting to see how the US prices hold up with the game. In Japan it wasnt exactly cheap.

One of the best things about Disgaea 5 is has one of the better cast. Out of all the games did not care for 2 or 3s cast for the most part. 4 was ok, but really liked 5s.

Free stuff is nice.Also the limited edition is available again in the EU store (at least last time I checked it was sold out) so I don't have to import.

One of the best things about Disgaea 5 is has one of the better cast. Out of all the games did not care for 2 or 3s cast for the most part. 4 was ok, but really liked 5s.

Glad to hear that. I just started the demo last night, but I find Killia and the female overlord a bit boring. I like 3s better.

I hope the remaining cast is better...

I need to check how much all the DLC is total space wise. Since am seriously running out of space on my PS4 more like am out space and like a fucking idiot I didnt go and do a HD upgrade on the 2nd system before filling the system up with data...

I really should have gone with the season pass as the DLC in general looks fairly good.

Will be interesting to see how the US prices hold up with the game. In Japan it wasnt exactly cheap.

Opt for a hybrid drive if you can. I love mine.

Kouriozan

Argh, hopefully I get one of those game day -1 or something, otherwise it's going to be tricky deciding what to play.
Sometime I get games day -1 and very rarely day -2 with Amazon.fr

Did anyone who played Disgaea 1-4 need reviews of 5?

Always felt this about disgaea reviews after the first 3 (Also why you no Disgaea D2?).

I also highly doubt there is anyway to make something like disgaea appeal to newcomers, one will just have to jump in and give it a try if theyve never experienced something like it before.

Ceadeus

How can you guys play all the same stuff all over again. They're like hundreds of hour of gameplay each, What's up...

All the reviews might as well read "Disgaea/10".

It's one of those games that you know exactly what to expect and what it will be.

Eh, I find impressions like Parakeetman's particularly valuable even as someone who's played through the other entries. Knowing what's a better experience doesn't really change my decision to purchase it but it does help me feel better about a pre-order. I wouldn't want to hear about a significant backslide in story content in an $80 preorder.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
How can you guys play all the same stuff all over again. They're like hundreds of hour of gameplay each, What's up...
This coming from a guy/gal with a Lunastra avatar when the same can be said about Monster Hunter? I hope your joking.....

OmegaDL50

I'm going to be picking up a PS4 when I pick up Disgaea 5. Could get some funny looks, heh

Why would you get funny looks?

Sure it's an Anime game, but it's not like Disgaea panders like some of the Compile Heart or Waifu games do.

Disgaea is mainly known for it's over the top mechanics and ridiculous stat caps. It doesn't intentionally flaunt on T&A or Lolicon like some other games do. That isn't really what Disgaea is about. Not even in it's original release back in 2003 even.

Why would you get funny looks?

I'm sure it's an Anime game, but it's not like Disgaea panders like some of the Compile Heart or Waifu games do.

Disgaea was mainly known for it's over the top mechanics and ridiculous stat caps.

It's not a typical game you buy a $400 system for :)

Top Bottom