• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Review Thread Dood

Mr. Volition guy. Thanks for the awesome Saints Row series to you and fellow staff.

To answer your question, I will be taking care of a tutorial for this game. I have written an extensive guide that covers most of the basic mechanics that will be included in the OT, I'm working on alongside with some very cool fellows on GAF.

If you have any questions at all in regards to game mechanics, how to make leveling efficient and the best means on how to progress through the game, please don't hesitate to ask any questions. I answer any gameplay related question you may have. I've put so much time in the Disgaea titles I feel like a walking encyclopedia of the games knowledge.

I will do my best to cover everything that I feel is necessary for a Disgaea player to know, and even advanced strategies. Look forward to that.

OR if you need information immediately, I can post a few starter hints and suggestions. Let me know, and I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Thanks!

That's awesome. Like, I'm really a fan of the demo thus far, but I struggle to even get to the 2 on the bonus meter, and I can't tell if that is something that just comes with leveling up far more than I have in the demo, or something I should be able to accomplish and just fail miserably at.

Look forward to your newbie guide!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's awesome. Like, I'm really a fan of the demo thus far, but I struggle to even get to the 2 on the bonus meter, and I can't tell if that is something that just comes with leveling up far more than I have in the demo, or something I should be able to accomplish and just fail miserably at.

Isn't the Bonus meter in 5 just like the previous titles. AKA: Destroy the GeoSymbol/Blocks/whatever they're calling them this outing, get all the colors to explode/ALL CLEAR and you get a max Bonus gauge?

Thanks!

Look forward to your newbie guide!

The bonus bar is kind of just an extra thing that you shouldn't really worry about. In past Disgaea games, you won't hit much higher than the first half of it during story missions unless the board is set up in a certain way, or if you go super out of your way to get it. They get easier to max when you start doing bonus/randomized endgame type stuff.

And by then none of the rewards on the bonus bar will even be worth it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
best Disgaea battle system? lolno. No mounts does not make it the best.

They took that away!?!?!?!?!?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also should I play the demo? I was going to play it to unlock some stuff and level characters, but would there be a point to it now that the game is out?

OmegaDL50

So roundabouts when should we expect an OT?

I'll have it up Monday the earliest, Tuesday morning for sure.

Everything should be done by this weekend so if everything checks out, OT's generally can be posted the day before or day of the release.

best Disgaea battle system? lolno. No mounts does not make it the best.

That one thing is minor compared to the other improvements made. Mechanically Disgaea 5 is a substantial improvement to the previous titles in the series. Besides with monsters being able to throw and the new magichange additions, Monsters in general have gotten an improvement for losing out on Mount. so there is a reasonable trade off.

Wait monsters can throw now?

Does that stop you using them as mobile bounce pads to extend throws? Sounds like a downgrade from an otherwise interesting tactical mechanic.

OmegaDL50

What differentiates monsters from humans in this one? Can monsters still only equip monster weapons and armors?

Monsters still can only use Monster weapons.

Monsters cannot lift but they can throw. They throw by bashing their target into the space you want to move them to. Kind of like a Volley Ball Spike.

Monster Bounce still is included because they cannot lift thus a target thrown towards a ally monster and will bounce a distance based on the maximum throw stat of the monster.

Monsters still have the ability to Magichange (Transform into a weapon that usable by a Humanoid).

There are other things as well which I'll cover extensively in the tutorial I'm writing up in the OT.

OmegaDL50

There had better be an item dupe or it's not a Disgaea game!

Only 2 games in the entire series could allow you to dupe items. Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4 as a result of the Puppy Paw Stick having a random chance to steal items off an enemy when you killed them. No duping methods exist in D1, D2, or DD2.

Duping was mainly necessary in the previous two games because it cut down significant amount of work in obtaining Innocents.

This is no longer an issue because of the Innocent Ranch allows you to raise and breed innocents not unlike Pokemon daycare. Also specific innocents such as Statisticians can now show up in random items obtained from the Bonus Gauge so you don't need to Reverse Pirate for them anymore.

There is a Duplication NPC in Item World which has a low chance of duplicating the Item World item you are currently in. Higher floors has higher chances of success of course, but encountering the NPC on a high floor is a luck of the draw like always.

A lot of the grind in Disgaea 5 compared to previous games has been mainly truncated and streamlined making things much more efficient do to.

Only 2 games in the entire series could allow you to dupe items. Disgaea 3 and Disgaea 4 as a result of the Puppy Paw Stick having a random chance to steal items off an enemy when you killed them. No duping methods exist in D1, D2, or DD2.

Duping was mainly necessary in the previous two games because it cut down significant amount of work in obtaining Innocents.

This is no longer an issue because of the Innocent Ranch allows you to raise and breed innocents not unlike Pokemon daycare. Also specific innocents such as Statisticians can now show up in random items obtained from the Bonus Gauge so you don't need to Reverse Pirate for them anymore.

There is a Duplication NPC in Item World which has a low chance of duplicating the Item World item you are currently in. Higher floors has higher chances of success of course, but encountering the NPC on a high floor is a luck of the draw like always.

A lot of the grind in Disgaea 5 compared to previous games has been mainly truncated and streamlined making things much more efficient do to.

That's good. I started with Disgaea 3 so it's part of my love for the series. I thought 4 had a different dupe they patched out. You totally filled you items and then could dupe at the store with the items they 'held' for you.

Dio

Banned
How well do we think these usually sell? Enough to rationalize more iterations? I mean clearly it's been that way to this point.
I don't think it'll be an issue. Disgaea has always had a steady niche audience that always buys their titles. There were jokes that this might be the last one if it doesn't sell well, but those kinds of jokes are usually rooted somewhere in fact.

That being said, I have a feeling that D5 will have a long tail. It'll probably do notable numbers in Japan for 2016 when everyone's going to be picking up their PS4s to play the games hitting that year.

This is no longer an issue because of the Innocent Ranch allows you to raise and breed innocents not unlike Pokemon daycare.

When you say Pokemon daycare is that a rough metaphor or are there really similar complex mechanics behind it? Btw I would love for some sort of crazy mechanic to breed shiny/alternate color NPCs/Monsters.

OmegaDL50

When you say Pokemon daycare is that a rough metaphor or are there really similar complex mechanics behind it? Btw I would love for some sort of crazy mechanic to breed shiny/alternate color NPCs/Monsters.

It's a rough metaphor.

You can put a Gladiator and a Sentry Innocent and if one of them is ready for breeding a new Innocent could be made that has the combined effects of a Gladiator and Sentry.

Also Having multiple Statisticians will breed more Statisticians.

Basically you put your Innocents in this little farm and and roam and stuff, they slowly get stronger and will breed with others in the farm and new ones are born.

system_innocent_ss05.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the info!
I guess it would really be overkill for a minor mechanic to be as complex as in Pokemon, maybe in D6.

TheFatMan

I wish I had time to play this game before next January. It's taking everything in my power not to buy it right now....everything.

erragal

I wish I had time to play this game before next January. It's taking everything in my power not to buy it right now....everything.

Imagine having the LE of the game arriving release day and then just sitting there waiting to make sure no holiday PS4 sales show up before being able to play.

I don't know if I have the willpower.

OmegaDL50

If we do everything in the demo and level up/unlock stuff, are we going to be massively OP when the full game releases?

For the story portion of the game probably, for the post game content, no.

Story mode enemies go up near level 120.

So if you did the Unopened Soda trick and grinded 200 levels in the demo, expect to get to the post game portion of the game quickly.

OmegaDL50

Is there a list?

http://disgaea.jp/sp/5/character/index.html

This contains spoilers. You click on this list at your own risk.

All of the unique recruits are listed above, as well all of the new humanoid and monster generics. None of the old / returning monster generics are listed.

Here is the returning Monster Generics.

Prinny
Zombie
Mothman
Orc
Slumber Cat
Shroom / Eryngi
Sludge
Alraune
Succubus
Nekomata
Minotaur / Nether Noble
Sea Angel
Ifrit / Great Wrym

For the story portion of the game probably, for the post game content, no.

Story mode enemies go up near level 120.

So if you did the Unopened Soda trick and grinded 200 levels in the demo, expect to get to the post game portion of the game quickly.

Is there any point in doing this if you don't care about having an advantage going into the main game?

I'm assuming there are more efficient ways of leveling in the post game? I haven't really looked into it yet.

Dio

Banned
I'm assuming there are more efficient ways of leveling in the post game? I haven't really looked into it yet.

Disgaea is designed so that there are always relatively quick methods of leveling in postgame.

For example, it's possible to level a character from Level 1 to 9999 within like fifteen minutes or less in Disgaea 4, with legit strategies. It's also worth noting that 9999 is max level, but some of the postgame bosses require you to reincarnate your characters for more stats a ton so you go 1 -> 9999 -> reincarnate -> 9999 again -> reincarnate.

OmegaDL50

I never know in Disgaea game how many side chaarcter to recruit and to go for what classes

Since you can have 100+ recruits you have enough room to have all of the unique characters and multiples of every generic class in the game.

Really it's all about personal choice.

I usually have one of each class in the game just to have them, and split them up into individual teams for specific roles (You can do this)

animax

Is the bu$#sh*t courtroom/jury/permits stuff still in this game? That ruins it for me straight up. Too much unnecessary stuff going on

Jolkien

Since you can have 100+ recruits you have enough room to have all of the unique characters and multiples of every generic class in the game.

Really it's all about personal choice.

I usually have one of each class in the game just to have them, and split them up into individual teams for specific roles (You can do this)

Hah I don't think the team splitting was in the other games ? Can you still level a fire,ice,wind mage to get the one that can cast all elements ?

Disgaea is designed so that there are always relatively quick methods of leveling in postgame.

For example, it's possible to level a character from Level 1 to 9999 within like fifteen minutes or less in Disgaea 4, with legit strategies. It's also worth noting that 9999 is max level, but some of the postgame bosses require you to reincarnate your characters for more stats a ton so you go 1 -> 9999 -> reincarnate -> 9999 again -> reincarnate.

I have the plat for 3, I generally know how they go. I was more wondering if it was still worth doing this because usually getting to the point where you can go to 9999 in fifteen minutes takes many more incremental steps.

So basically is getting to 500 in the demo worth it, or are there easier methods of getting to 500 the first time in the main game.

OmegaDL50

Is the bu$#sh*t courtroom/jury/permits stuff still in this game? That ruins it for me straight up. Too much unnecessary stuff going on

Disgaea series always had that.

However things are much more streamlined and efficient in recent games. For example if a Bill you want to pass fails you can decide to pay money for the bill to pass, or like always pass it by force by taking down any of the opposing senators that voted against you.

Is momster fusion included?

D5 actually has a special squad involving giant characters. It took the giant aspect of Fusion, but improved on it so that it only involved having one character go humongous. Characters in that particular squad become giant for three turns.

As for the Fusion Mechanic of old, no it doesn't exist but Magichange mechanics have been revised to accommodate multiple monsters become entirely new weapons now.

Jolkien

The great thing about Disgaea is, it doesnt matter you can have them all.

edit:

Thanks, was hoping that was the case. It was too much of an annoying system.

Yeah but unless I remember incorrectly character only get xp on kills which makes them a pain to level up later in the game.

OmegaDL50

Yeah but unless I remember incorrectly character only get xp on kills which makes them a pain to level up later in the game.

This actually hasn't been true since Disgaea 3 considering things like the Classroom Clubs and Evil Symbols in Disgaea 4.

Disgaea 5 has mechanics in place to level multiple characters at the same time, even leveling up weak level 1 characters into the hundreds without them needing to do anything.

In fact Healing spells gave exp starting with Disgaea 2, and starting with D5 because of the Maid class being centered around item usage. Using items also gives experience too.

Jolkien

This actually hasn't been true since Disgaea 3 considering things like the Classroom Clubs and Evil Symbols in Disgaea 4.

Disgaea 5 has mechanics in place to level multiple characters at the same time, even leveling up weak level 1 characters into the hundreds without them needing to do anything.

In fact Healing spells gave exp starting with Disgaea 2, and starting with D5 because of the Maid class being centered around item usage. Using items also gives experience too.

Thats good to know, thanks !

gaiages

Banned
The great thing about Disgaea is, it doesnt matter you can have them all.

edit:

Thanks, was hoping that was the case. It was too much of an annoying system.

I agree, it was. Squads (imo) are essentially a streamlined version of it.

HeeHo

Wow, there is an exploit to get to lvl 200-ish with the un-opened soda? I really don't want to make the game too easy, I find it super boring to be too OP. I made that mistake in Disgaea 2 only doing the item world in the beginning and being way too powerful for the rest of the campaign.

OmegaDL50

Wow, there is an exploit to get to lvl 200-ish with the un-opened soda? I really don't want to make the game too easy, I find it super boring to be too OP. I made that mistake in Disgaea 2 only doing the item world in the beginning and being way too powerful for the rest of the campaign.

Not an exploit. Just abusing game mechanics.

Using an item on another character earns them 1/8th of experience needed to the next level.

Using an Unopened Soda item will become an Opened Soda so you get two uses out of it.

Basically people are buying hundreds of Unopened Soda items and just using them over and over to level up in the Demo. since 8 item uses gives you a level up. 800 Unopened Sodas will earn 100 levels.

The Items aren't expensive only about 60HL a piece or something, buying them in bulk and using a ton of them will gain you a bunch of levels.

However this is highly inefficient in the full game because while the character is getting level gains their weapon and skill levels don't improve as a result of this.

However this is highly inefficient in the full game because while the character is getting level gains their weapon and skill levels don't improve as a result of this.

Oh cool, didn't know about this. Might do this to unlock some other classes in the demo. If that works that is.

Also thanks for the comprehensive DLC list Omega! Had no idea Toro and his buddy were DLC in JPN. Were they playable units? I tried looking for pics earlier but didn't find anything. (Granted I didn't look super hard).

OmegaDL50

Oh cool, didn't know about this. Might do this to unlock some other classes in the demo. If that works that is.

Also thanks for the comprehensive DLC list Omega! Had no idea Toro and his buddy were DLC in JPN. Were they playable units? I tried looking for pics earlier but didn't find anything. (Granted I didn't look super hard).

Toro and Kuro were DLC units that appeared in Disgaea 3 and 4 as far as I recall but only in Japan. They are also returning for Disgaea 5...only in Japan.

You would think if they were Sony owned characters, that have appeared in several franchises in the West, notably Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds, and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

Disgaea being a Japanese centric series, I really don't see why Toro or Kuro wouldn't fit in the Western localization.

I mean It's not difficult. Playstation mascots being included on a game that is exclusive to the Playstation, why is this an issue? What is the licensing hoop that is preventing this?

Top Bottom