• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Review Thread Dood

For those interested in seeing the packaging:

mvYVIUD.jpg

And the reversible cover:

Demoskinos

I really like the art style and stories in these games but man does the game play side of everything always overwhelm me. Glad this is getting decent reviews. NIS is a pretty rad company.

Toro and Kuro were DLC units that appeared in Disgaea 3 and 4 as far as I recall but only in Japan. They are also returning for Disgaea 5...only in Japan.

You would think if they were Sony owned characters, that have appeared in several franchises in the West, notably Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds, and Playstation All Stars Battle Royale.

Disgaea being a Japanese centric series, I really don't see why Toro or Kuro wouldn't fit in the Western localization.

I mean It's not difficult. Playstation mascots being included on a game that is exclusive to the Playstation, why is this an issue? What is the licensing hoop that is preventing this?

Thank you for getting in my brain and saying what I was thinking. I had no idea they were DLC in the JPN for 3 & 4. That is beyond weird that they don't release them over here as well. Must be one bizarre licensing issue.

Wait though, does that mean they are included in the Vita versions in the US?

Yes.

I was surprised when I bought it. Wasn't expecting any of the extra things, especially the reversible cover.

Man, NIS always nice launch editions but they've outdone themselves again. One company I never feel bad preordering from.

OmegaDL50

Thank you for getting in my brain and saying what I was thinking. I had no idea they were DLC in the JPN for 3 & 4. That is beyond weird that they don't release them over here as well. Must be one bizarre licensing issue.

Wait though, does that mean they are included in the Vita versions in the US?

I own the Vita version of Disgaea 4 and Toro or Kuro are not available as content. I'm going to say it's a Japan only thing for some strange reason.

This is the standard edition?

Yes.

I was surprised when I bought it. Wasn't expecting any of the extra things, especially the reversible cover.

This is actually the Launch Day Edition. Anyone who pre-ordered the game without buying the LE will be recieving the Launch Day Edition.

A standard edition exists which does not include the Artbook or Soundtrack CD.

D5_glamshot_v3_LAUNCH-DAY-EDITION.0.jpg

This is actually the Launch Day Edition. Anyone who pre-ordered the game without buying the LE will be recieving the Launch Day Edition.

A standard edition exists which does not include the Artbook or Soundtrack CD.

D5_glamshot_v3_LAUNCH-DAY-EDITION.0.jpg

I assumed this was the standard edition since I didn't pre-order the game. Found it at a local store and just purchased it.

OmegaDL50

I assumed this was the standard edition since I didn't pre-order the game. Found it at a local store and just purchased it.

It's possible that the initial print run of the game are launch editions and then after they sell out and more copies are printed they will be standards without the soundtrack cd or artbook.

Perhaps this would explain why the European version was delayed an additional week. Initial pre-orders were higher than demand and they needed to make more launch day copies? It's a theory but there is some plausibility behind it.

It's possible that the initial print run of the game are launch editions and then after they sell out and more copies are printed they will be standards without the soundtrack cd or artbook.

Perhaps this would explain why the European version was delayed an additional week. Initial pre-orders were higher than demand and they needed to make more launch day copies? It's a theory but there is some plausibility behind it.

I preordered mine digitally on PSN when it was mispriced at 50.I can live without the soundtrack but I would love to be able to somehow download it to my phone.

Is this a good place to jump into the series?

You don't really need to know anything about the previous games. This probably applies better than in other instances where people have said that about a series. You really don't need to have a single clue about the other games as nothing of note carries over other than the setting. The DLC is much more enjoyable if you have played them as it is dedicated to fans of the previous titles through the use of pointless cameos but it is always fun regardless. If you love SRPG games, this is the best experience possible provided you enjoy nonserious characters forced to be serious and consider their place within the world.

OmegaDL50

Is this a good place to jump into the series?

Yes. None of the mainline numeric installments are connected in terms of story. Also each game in the series constantly iterates and revises its mechanics from the previous game in the series with various tweaks and improvements.

Playing a newer game in the series and going back and playing an old one you will notice an obvious sense of regression since each game is mostly similar at the core but with each sequel existing mechanics are heavily overhauled and adjusted to make things more streamlined (in the sense making thing less frustrating and more sensible)

For example in Disgaea 1 there was only two methods to earn exp points in the game, By killing enemies or getting an exp bonus from a bonus at the end a stage. This meant Healers had to learn attack magic in order to properly level up because exp was only given for kills.

In recent games Healers can properly do their roles and earn experience for actually healing allies, this is one such example of the mechanics being streamlined and improved.

Each game in the series has a similar setting and there is a level of familiarity from title to title, but you will quickly catch on with what these games are all about starting with the 5th game.

There is a demo on PSN for the game, Give it a try and if you like it, your data from the demo will transfer to the full game. If the demo turns you away at least you gave it a fair chance.

Dingotech

Well that Launch Day Edition info saw me order the game today, looks like a good deal!

I'm still yet to play Disgaea 4 that I bought recently on my Vita... But oh well!

Preordered on amzn, glad someone posted the launch edition stuff, amzn image made me think I was just getting the game disc and thats it. Just want the ost, which I hope is as catchy as D3.

Was at work and didnt realize I was humming Rosenqueen theme

I own the Vita version of Disgaea 4 and Toro or Kuro are not available as content. I'm going to say it's a Japan only thing for some strange reason.

That's so bizarre. Wouldn't that mean that had to go and take them out?
Well, at least there is loads of content already.

AniHawk

sony kinda holds the cards on those since they're the owners of the characters.

deoee

I'm playing Disgaea 4 on my Vita atm. Really really great game BUT I'm totally lost in what types of weapons and magic are worth on getting? Currently I'm in chapter 3 and everyone has his/her starter weapon + I made a female warrior with a bow and an ice mage-kid.

What's more to cover? Are monsters useful (Sardine thief, Prinnys...?) In the first couple of levels I used to throw the latter around and kill stuff but that is not reliable anymore.
Furthermore are the fusions worth it? Or Magicharging (was it called that way? ^^)

There is SO much fun stuff in this game

I'm playing Disgaea 4 on my Vita atm. Really really great game BUT I'm totally lost in what types of weapons and magic are worth on getting? Currently I'm in chapter 3 and everyone has his/her starter weapon + I made a female warrior with a bow and an ice mage-kid.

What's more to cover? Are monsters useful (Sardine thief, Prinnys...?) In the first couple of levels I used to throw the latter around and kill stuff but that is not reliable anymore.
Furthermore are the fusions worth it? Or Magicharging (was it called that way? ^^)

Outside of the first game, I never really played monsters much. Maybe I am missing out on something but I just never fooled with them much.

Dio

Banned

The DLC monster from Soul Nomad - Gig - and Desco/Desco X are my favorite monsters. I used them all the time for their giant magichange sword forms and equipped both on Valvatorez at the same time.

Outside of the first game, I never really played monsters much. Maybe I am missing out on something but I just never fooled with them much.
The nice benefit of monsters in later titles is the fact that you can fuse monsters together into a gigantic, four-square-occupying monster, and then fuse more monsters into another gigantic monster, and then put a humanoid next to both monsters, and then turn both monsters through magichange into gigantic swords that have the stats of your monsters on them as weapons so you can dual wield fused gigantic monsters turned into weapons.

OmegaDL50

Since you are playing the Vita version of Disgaea 4 you have access to the cheat shop.

What I recommend is turning both HL and MANA to zero and making EXP as high as it possibly can go.

Then for Enemy Strength make it as high as you possibly can but not too high you can't kill enemies with your strongest character on the first map from Chapter 1. (It may take a few tries to experiment)

After you have found the right setting that works for you for enemy strength.

Stack all of your characters into a tower with the strongest character in your party on the very bottom, 2nd strongest on top of that character and so on until you have a 10 character tower.

Basically in a Tower ATK all ally units that participate share experience with an equal split. So what you are doing is basically mass leveling 10 characters of your choice at a time with the experience bonus from the cheat shop from the high leveled Prinnies from 1-1.

As for your questions. Yes Magichange is incredibly useful. The power of the weapon you get for Magichange is wholly dependant on how strong the monster is since the attack power is proportional to the monsters stats. As for weapons, concentrate on getting Fenrick as high as you can with Fists....Fist weapons are incredibly useful in the post-game for a very specific reason.

deoee

Since you are playing the Vita version of Disgaea 4 you have access to the cheat shop.

What I recommend is turning both HL and MANA to zero and making EXP as high as it possibly can go.

Then for Enemy Strength make it as high as you possibly can but not too high you can't kill enemies with your strongest character on the first map from Chapter 1. (It may take a few tries to experiment)

After you have found the right setting that works for you for enemy strength.

Stack all of your characters into a tower with the strongest character in your party on the very bottom, 2nd strongest on top of that character and so on until you have a 10 character tower.

Basically in a Tower ATK all ally units that participate share experience with an equal split. So what you are doing is basically mass leveling 10 characters of your choice at a time with the experience bonus from the cheat shop from the high leveled Prinnies from 1-1.

As for your questions. Yes Magichange is incredibly useful. The power of the weapon you get for Magichange is wholly dependant on how strong the monster is since the attack power is proportional to the monsters stats. As for weapons, concentrate on getting Fenrick as high as you can with Fists....Fist weapons are incredibly useful in the post-game for a very specific reason.

Oh man, thank you. The first part with the exp. was already done by me - it's incredibly useful.
And the tower tactic here just shows how ridiculously awesome this game gets :D

Will try that stuff out asap. :)

Can anyone that pre-ordered digital tell me if the game is showing in your library. Mine was,for a few days, now it's gone. The countdown timer shows if I look at it in the store.

Hopefully all goes well, it's just kinda old having these issues so often. MGSV pre-order was cancelled for no reason last time. They said it was known issue and happened to others.

The DLC monster from Soul Nomad - Gig - and Desco/Desco X are my favorite monsters. I used them all the time for their giant magichange sword forms and equipped both on Valvatorez at the same time.

The nice benefit of monsters in later titles is the fact that you can fuse monsters together into a gigantic, four-square-occupying monster, and then fuse more monsters into another gigantic monster, and then put a humanoid next to both monsters, and then turn both monsters through magichange into gigantic swords that have the stats of your monsters on them as weapons so you can dual wield fused gigantic monsters turned into weapons.

And thst is why I love this series. Insane shit like the above. I will work to get a 1 billion hit in D5. Can't wait! Only 4 more days! .... Until it ships from Gamefly. Being broke sucks

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You don't really need to know anything about the previous games. This probably applies better than in other instances where people have said that about a series. You really don't need to have a single clue about the other games as nothing of note carries over other than the setting. The DLC is much more enjoyable if you have played them as it is dedicated to fans of the previous titles through the use of pointless cameos but it is always fun regardless. If you love SRPG games, this is the best experience possible provided you enjoy nonserious characters forced to be serious and consider their place within the world.

This is true. But expect it to take more time to get a handle on it. The basic mechanics and gameplay exhibit many similarities across the series. So veterans of the series will take considerably less time to get into the gameplay.

The series is dripping with mechanics. I can't think of another SRPG series that has more gameplay mechanics.

Lucentto

Banned
Good reviews. I won't be able to play this on release ( I have too many other games to play in October) but I will get this game eventually. Probably when all the DLC has been released.

OmegaDL50

Okay folks...me and others working on the OT are almost finished our work, so I'm starting getting the word out on what we as the DisgaeaGAF community should use for the subtitle for the OT.

Last time I've read some comments, several people liked the idea of

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance |OT| Revenge is a dish best served Curried

Due to the game's Revenge plot and new Revenge mechanic as well as the Curry thing referenced to in the game.

Looking for any suggestions on something we can all agree on that would fit the tone for Disgaea 5 or the Disgaea series in general.

Here is a couple of others

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance |OT| Story? You mean the tutorial.

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance |OT| Level 9999 was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance |OT| Getting to level 9999 is just the beginning.

Top Bottom